F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Advice - Car Faults after 1 week of ownership
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2023, 06:57 AM   #1
Zac1875
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Advice - Car Faults after 1 week of ownership

Advice seeking post.

I just picked up a 2020 M135i 10k miles from a reputable dealer in the uk. I have had the car for around a week and noticed the horn wasn’t working. No big deal, I wasn’t local to the dealer so they said to take it to BMW. Cars currently in with BMW for a few days while they diagnose.

I received my free health check and was presented with 4 red advisories on brakes. I was a bit surprised as it had only done 10k miles and turns out the discs are scored badly and the pads only have 4mm left.

I contacted the garage I bought the car from (they agreed to cover the cost of the horn issue if not replaced under warranty) to ask if they were going to cover the cost of the unroadworthy brakes. They said they wouldn’t as they are within legal tolerance above 3mm and the car was prepared to above legal standard. (Passed an MOT in July, no advisories)

I hit back and stated that the car was clearly not prepared to a roadworthy legal standard as having a defective horn is automatically an MOT fail. So how can they say the brakes were roadworthy? I also stated that scored discs are an issue and I wasn’t happy with the condition of them.

The salesperson stated they needed to speak to the service department on Monday and get back to me.

Would you expect the dealer that I bought it from to cover the cost and should I expect and push them to, as I have only had the car a week and those discs don’t look great.

I have a feeling they may try and cover cost of the disc but not pads, even tho they need to be changed together.

Any advice
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

"Leaving unchanged will (drastically) reduce braking distance."

I can't help noticing you chose a totally wrong M135i (should've chosen M140i ), even though you didn't ask.

Current pads thickness doesn't say much without knowing the initial thickness. Here's a recent thread: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...0#post30044150. Having my pads replaced and the discs remain I experience plenty of braking vibration. That shouldn't be necessary though.

Regarding the horn, I had mine failing recently. Then it stopped that and now works fine. Nothing was done.

Regarding MOT worn brakes work fine and that's it. So could be the horn unless they skipped it. Your car is free to fall apart the same day, just later.

I don't think you can insist on free brake service. It's not even necessary yet: it's just advisory you shouldn't make them wait for your money. You should've checked the car before buying it (how much worn it seemed apart from the paper).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
Zac1875
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
"Leaving unchanged will (drastically) reduce braking distance."

I can't help noticing you chose a totally wrong M135i (should've chosen M140i ), even though you didn't ask.

Current pads thickness doesn't say much without knowing the initial thickness. Here's a recent thread: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...#post30044150. Having my pads replaced and the discs remain I experience plenty of braking vibration. That shouldn't be necessary though.

Regarding the horn, I had mine failing recently. Then it stopped that and now works fine. Nothing was done.

Regarding MOT worn brakes work fine and that's it. So could be the horn unless they skipped it. Your car is free to fall apart the same day, just later.

I don't think you can insist on free brake service. It's not even necessary yet: it's just advisory you shouldn't make them wait for your money. You should've checked the car before buying it (how much worn it seemed apart from the paper).
My last car was a M140i, RWD and Scottish winters don’t go very well
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

4mm is fine. The brake wear sensor will trip when the pads wear down enough.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #5
Zac1875
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
4mm is fine. The brake wear sensor will trip when the pads wear down enough.
Thoughts on the scoring on the discs?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac1875 View Post
RWD and winters don’t go very well
I know. And still FWD is something I'd absolutely hate to return to!

Quote:
That's nothing.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 06:11 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Not unknown to occur when something gets caught between the rotor and pad.

Traditional scoring occurs when the pad material is so low that you're getting metal on metal. Again your brake wear sensor should trip well before then.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #8
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Advice seeking post.

I just picked up a 2020 M135i 10k miles from a reputable dealer in the uk. I have had the car for around a week and noticed the horn wasn’t working. No big deal, I wasn’t local to the dealer so they said to take it to BMW. Cars currently in with BMW for a few days while they diagnose.

I received my free health check and was presented with 4 red advisories on brakes. I was a bit surprised as it had only done 10k miles and turns out the discs are scored badly and the pads only have 4mm left.

I contacted the garage I bought the car from (they agreed to cover the cost of the horn issue if not replaced under warranty) to ask if they were going to cover the cost of the unroadworthy brakes. They said they wouldn’t as they are within legal tolerance above 3mm and the car was prepared to above legal standard. (Passed an MOT in July, no advisories)

I hit back and stated that the car was clearly not prepared to a roadworthy legal standard as having a defective horn is automatically an MOT fail. So how can they say the brakes were roadworthy? I also stated that scored discs are an issue and I wasn’t happy with the condition of them.

The salesperson stated they needed to speak to the service department on Monday and get back to me.

Would you expect the dealer that I bought it from to cover the cost and should I expect and push them to, as I have only had the car a week and those discs don’t look great.

I have a feeling they may try and cover cost of the disc but not pads, even tho they need to be changed together.

Any advice
The horn issue on it's own is enough to claim a full refund.
It's actually a criminal offence to sell a car that isn't road worthy.

Under the Consumer Sales Act, you can reject the vehicle and claim a full refund within the first 30 days.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #9
Zac1875
Registered
Rep

Good news. Dealer is going to cover the cost of new discs and pads all round at BMW. They agreed in the end they weren’t of a standard they would deem acceptable and agreed that they should be changed. Happy days.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      10-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Lightbulb

The point might be the whole car isn't of a standard they would deem acceptable: look how much shit they put in to make it seem "road worthy" (and that's besides xDrive they didn't bother to offer for Scottish winters M140i) - https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ce?language=en. In particular, the "Performance Control" feature (also on MINI) which looks like it drives with brakes engaged pretty much all the time ("applying the brakes as required at the wheels on the inside of the bend before the slip threshold has been reached").
Appreciate 0