F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Maintenance Plan NOT transferable after July 1, 2014
Extreme Powerhouse

06-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

BMW Maintenance Plan NOT transferable after July 1, 2014

Pretty cheesy to not make the maintenance plan transferrable unless you or a family member buys the car.

http://www.bmwusa.com/ultimateservice

Quote:
For model year 2015 or later vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, BMW Maintenance Program coverage is provided for the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Accordingly, BMW Maintenance Program coverage, with one exception, is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of BMW Maintenance Program coverage is that household transfers - transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center - will not terminate BMW Maintenance Program coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage.

The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty - such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
budpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2007 328i

Agree that does suck and will make it harder to sell a used car....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Better sell to your mom quick, dude.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

that'll make you think twice before you buy. resale killer
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Unfortunate to say the least but isn't BMW the last of the Germans to offer it included in the price? I know Merc makes you pay extra. Audi? Porsche?

BMW is on a mission to cut costs and boost profitability, we'll be seeing a lot more like this.
      06-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Wow. Yes, will affect resale indeed. Wonder if this will affect the residual value.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Unfortunate to say the least but isn't BMW the last of the Germans to offer it included in the price? I know Merc makes you pay extra. Audi? Porsche?

BMW is on a mission to cut costs and boost profitability, we'll be seeing a lot more like this.
As opposed to? Everyone else isn't looking to cut costs and boost profitability?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep

audi doesn't charge maintenance but charged for mileage services on the r8
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

So for 2015 cars like the new M3 and M4 delivered before July 1st their Maintenance Program coverage is still transferable? If true, it would be a good reason to buy the launch cars in the next ten days, second sticker notwithstanding.
      06-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

How do they know you are not the original owner? I have never been asked to show my ID except if I get a loaner car.... Can you just skip the loaner car and say u are the original owner?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley
How do they know you are not the original owner? I have never been asked to show my ID except if I get a loaner car.... Can you just skip the loaner car and say u are the original owner?
I'm sure their database developers can answer this for you. The system will say your car with VIN 123456789 was owned by Joe Smoe before you bought it. They'll know.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
I'm sure their database developers can answer this for you. The system will say your car with VIN 123456789 was owned by Joe Smoe before you bought it. They'll know.
I can't imagine the dealer database has a direct feed to the dmv. I am curious if anyone knows for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
I can't imagine the dealer database has a direct feed to the dmv. I am curious if anyone knows for sure.
The dealer database will have the record of whoever bought it from a BMW dealer to be sure. Also maintenance records, etc will have a name attached.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've already paid for the car but don't pick it up until the 1st -- I think I've bought it already, right? Fun lawsuit for the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

That's quite shitty, good thing I won't be a second owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

I think this is really stupid. I doubt I'll be affected, but it's the principle of it all.

Also, for those thinking it's going to SIGNIFICANTLY affect resale, I wouldn't worry. People will still buy them. If you can't afford an oil change (and I've done mine more frequently than recommended) or brake job - you shouldn't be buying these cars anyway. Most people forget that you can't just "afford the car". You need to be able to afford to maintain it. My .02
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I think this is really stupid. I doubt I'll be affected, but it's the principle of it all.

Also, for those thinking it's going to SIGNIFICANTLY affect resale, I wouldn't worry. People will still buy them. If you can't afford an oil change (and I've done mine more frequently than recommended) or brake job - you shouldn't be buying these cars anyway. Most people forget that you can't just "afford the car". You need to be able to afford to maintain it. My .02
Thought was reason to buy bmw, free maintence! I'm just worried that it leaves the only option as a trade in. That in a way gives them more freedom to low ball your trade more than they already do, because why?, your can't sell it for good money any other way. When you buy the car you prepay the maintence, so they in a way rob you of what you already paid for. I put my deposit in June car gets built in July I need to make sure I can sell transferable. Another reason to grab a launch car real quick, even a few k over sticker may be fully justified for this alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post

As opposed to? Everyone else isn't looking to cut costs and boost profitability?
Of course every company tries to maximize profitability. I was referring to the stories out this week about significant cost cutting initiatives that go beyond ordinary course stuff:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40618?irpc=932
      06-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1 View Post
Thought was reason to buy bmw, free maintence! I'm just worried that it leaves the only option as a trade in. That in a way gives them more freedom to low ball your trade more than they already do, because why?, your can't sell it for good money any other way. When you buy the car you prepay the maintence, so they in a way rob you of what you already paid for. I put my deposit in June car gets built in July I need to make sure I can sell transferable. Another reason to grab a launch car real quick, even a few k over sticker may be fully justified for this alone.
That's far from the reason to buy a BMW. That was icing on the cake.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It says immediate family members still get the keep the plan, but do you have to go through a BMW dealer then in ordere to make that happen if you sell it to a kid or brother/sister?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
sherm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW M4

Hmm.. I don't think that's right to do if you've already put a deposit on a build even if you don't "buy" before July 1st. I'm leasing so it won't affect me unless I decide to do a lease transfer or sell.
///M4 | Alpine White | Sakhir Orange Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim & Roof | DCT | Black 19" Wheels | Executive Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Enhanced USB | Parking Assist | Harman Kardon
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #22
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
It says immediate family members still get the keep the plan, but do you have to go through a BMW dealer then in ordere to make that happen if you sell it to a kid or brother/sister?
Adopt your next buyer! Free maintenance!