F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > How to gain weight?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #67
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

poop less?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #68
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Protein Protein Protein... Went from about 135 and bulked to about 185 during my college years. Took about 9 months with a strong workout regiment. Get a good blender and mix different fruits into the protein shake from time to time so you don't get sick of it too soon.

Also gotta train yourself to eat more and build a large appetite. Eat something after your workout and something before sleeping. Subway was my choice of food.
      05-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #69
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
poop less?
Developing a thyroid problem also works! Op should become constipated and induce glandular problems
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #70
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Developing a thyroid problem also works! Op should become constipated and induce glandular problems
Lots of options
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #71
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Do a powerlifting program and eat 500 calories more than your total daily energy expenditure which is your base metabolic rate+energy burned during activities (work, exercise, anything ). But honestly at your size you should probably go for a 1k calorie surplus a day and you eould be fine.

Do a powerlifting upper/lower or push pull split or a full body routine. Focus on compound lifts (bench squat Deadlift overhead press) as the core of your routine and throw in some accessory work after. Don't do bulllshit bro splits with arm day chest day shoulder day etc. Focus on building strength and you will put on muscle. Only not natural (steroids/hgh etc) lifters will put on size without necessarily getting stronger. If you're natural and you're getting stronger you're putting on muscle.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #72
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As far as supplements most are bullshit. Take some creatine with grape juice or any high glyceimic juice, weight gainer protein powder with whey like optimum pro complex gainer post workout and casein before bed. Bcaa during workout if you really want to get carried away but most other things are a waste of money and don't do shit
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #73
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
How to gain weight? Very simple

Eat Surplus calories above maintenance.

Example
Maintenance 2500 Calories
Surplus 3000 Calories

That's pretty safe amount of calories to bulk up with minimal amount of fat add 500 calories.

Don't for get to hit your macronutrients say 40% Protein 30% Carbs 30% Fats, you can tweak the ratios around either with Carbs or Fats up to you.

PS with protein you don't need to over it, broscience.

1g / lbs for protein is enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #74
parmeshwar
Registered
Rep
Drives: I have a scoda car.

You need more calories eat Banana with milk, rice and fruits like mango.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #75
Jaswindersingh
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Don't eat spicy food. It will trick your mind to feel full.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #76
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Obviously I'm looking for muscle weight from working out with the additional caloric intake, not just fat.
I don't take weight gain supplements - only protein shakes for muscle recovery. I generally eat healthy, so I'm not trying to eat fast food burgers to get my calories up.
My weight fluctuates +/- 3-5lbs weekly to begin with based on my eating habits/water weight. I bottomed around 153-154 (I lost like 7lbs on a hiking trip to Peru couple weeks ago) and just last night was back up to 157.
2 months later.. I'm ~163. Haven't been as consistent as I was on doing 3000 calories a day and lifting, but doing ok.
One struggle has been not letting all the extra eating increase fats and make my stomach bigger.
      07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #77
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
2 months later.. I'm ~163. Haven't been as consistent as I was on doing 3000 calories a day and lifting, but doing ok.
One struggle has been not letting all the extra eating increase fats and make my stomach bigger.
What about carbs and proteins? There are a lot of methods out there but it can be tough to find out what works best for you personally. For me, I notice that in order for me to work out hard, I need at least SOME source of carbs (healthiest as I can get). When I tried the "no/low carb" thing, I felt weak. Fats in my diet are fine as long as they are healthy sources (no trans, minimal saturated). I have seen some research that shows fats actually assist in testosterone production, which will help build muscle. Don't quote me on that though. Protein is king as always when it comes to building lean muscle.

Problem is that you will ALWAYS gain some body fat when bulking. The claims that you can gain muscle AND lose body fat are technically misleading. You can minimize the amount of fat you gain though, which is what you should be shooting for. There's a reason bodybuilders bulk and then cut... it works. Of course not all of us can be like that.

Consistency in your diet is crucial. Stay on the calorie surplus and increase protein if possible (just my opinion). Alter your diet only if you change your workout routines and need more of something (carbs, protein, etc). If you are having trouble eating so much more, add some shakes into the mix. Lots of people need protein shakes because they can't eat that much physically. I know I can't, so I do at least two shakes a day.

In the gym, make sure you're changing up your routine. Shock stimulates growth. Don't do the same thing for longer than maybe two months, but ensure you're constantly adding weight to whatever it is you're lifting. Compound lifts with heavy weight will be your friend if you want to get strong (and gain size as well). Someone mentioned it already. Accessory work can help too, but squats, bench, deadlifts, etc are big. Your strength will improve first before you see visible size gains, but don't be discouraged. The size will come. Good luck!
      07-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #78
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

One key thing I was missing in my diet was a sufficient amount of carbs. I thought, well, I'll just cut the fats and carbs out of my diet, up the protein, and boom, I should see great results...wrong. Didn't gain a single pound of fat/muscle in 2 months. Now I go on mini bulking sessions (high fats, high carbs, high protein) followed by mini cutting sessions (no fats, medium carbs, high protein). Gained 18 pounds (of mostly muscle) in two months, from 168 to 186 (I'm 6'5"). Personally, I have an extremely fast metabolism, so I can take in the extra fats and burn them right off while weight training. Only downside of being so tall is that a pound of muscle doesn't look the same on me as it would on a 5'6" guy.

Gaining weight, like others have said, is simple. Eat a surplus of calories. But, that is only part of the equation. You'll simply get fat if you eat a surplus of uncontrolled calories. My recommendation is to up the fats you normally take in by just a bit (maybe throw in a peanut butter sandwich or two a day), up the carbs a pretty good amount (I'd say about 10-15% more than protein of your total macronutrients that day--good carb sources are rice, pasta, veggies, etc.), and get about 1g of protein/1# of body weight.

For me personally, I take in 50g of fat a day, 250g of carbs (300g on workout days), and 240g of protein (high because of the meals I take in). This is giving me the best results, without gaining a huge gut.

It takes time to gain weight and muscle. No doubt about it. Like others have said, stick to compound exercises. Focus on accessory muscles if you see a muscle group lagging behind. Compound exercises should be the foundation of your workout plans. Give your body the best chance possible to gain (maximize your potential for growth) by shocking the hell out of it through high intensity, low rep exercises (5x5 is a good plan), and eat right. Figure out your macronutrients for workout/non-workout days (i.e., fat, carb, and protein intake) and make sure you are hitting them. The body can only metabolize ~30-35g of protein per every couple of hours. Split up your meals. Rest days are KEY. Prepare your body for the work ahead. You starve yourself at night while sleeping, so get complex carbs in the morning (oatmeal). Simple carbs after your workout (rice) to replace the glycogen lost in the body from a workout. Protein before and after.

MOST IMPORTANT THING- Don't complicate things! This isn't rocket science. Eat more to gain weight, eat less to lose weight. If your body craves certain foods occasionally, eat them (as long as it isn't like a packet of Skittles).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #79
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I have seen some research that shows fats actually assist in testosterone production, which will help build muscle. Don't quote me on that though. Protein is king as always when it comes to building lean muscle.
Hey man, I'm going to quote you on this !

Here is an example: Hurtado de Catalfo, et. al:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...549927/related

"Animals fed with the olive oil and coconut oil diets showed the highest testicular levels of antioxidants in addition to significantly high levels of testosterone and 3beta- or 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymes"

I could quote some others but it's not really necessary. A lot of people use CLA supplementation as a method of ergogenic assistance.

edit: just found this article : http://forum.a1supplements.com/conte...g-Testosterone

To anyone else reading this: This post should not be misconstrued as me saying CLA and fats and fatty acids should be a focus or ingested disproportionately to an otherwise well-balanced diet. But, it should be considered as part of an overall diet/exercise program.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-02-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #80
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

re: compound movements.

To start with, I would recommend a full body workout 3 times a week which focuses on compound lifts. Lift as heavy as you can and focus on gaining STRENGTH before gaining size. After the strength, the hypertrophy will follow
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #81
alleyrivo
Rep
Drives: e90

For excess calories, drink 1/2-1 gallon of whole milk a day.
      08-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #82
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyrivo View Post
For excess calories, drink 1/2-1 gallon of whole milk a day.
Eat scoops of peanut butter and wash it down with that milk.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #83
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
poop less?
ROFL!!!
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #84
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Its all about food and the type of food you take in. For my clients i like to review their blood work before i begin with them...check out their thyroid function, test, GH, list goes on. But!......to gain lean muscle you obviously need to eat Tonsssss of lean enriched protein/carbs/and moderate fats. Of coarse depending on what your body type is and goals. Any questions you guys can add me on IG - CEO_DTCFITNESS
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #85
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

This worked well for me to get stronger and gain muscle weight.

http://stronglifts.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #86
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Whatever you do, don't dirty bulk. I made that mistake back in the day and I ended up skinny fat. It took me a year to shed the fat. Now I'm ripped but skinny. Best way is to eat slightly above maintenance and bulk slowly. Eat at least a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. And finally follow a proven lifting routine. Don't wing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #87
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblue View Post
Do a powerlifting program and eat 500 calories more than your total daily energy expenditure which is your base metabolic rate+energy burned during activities (work, exercise, anything ). But honestly at your size you should probably go for a 1k calorie surplus a day and you eould be fine.

Do a powerlifting upper/lower or push pull split or a full body routine. Focus on compound lifts (bench squat Deadlift overhead press) as the core of your routine and throw in some accessory work after. Don't do bulllshit bro splits with arm day chest day shoulder day etc. Focus on building strength and you will put on muscle. Only not natural (steroids/hgh etc) lifters will put on size without necessarily getting stronger. If you're natural and you're getting stronger you're putting on muscle.
This ^

Squat, I mean real squats with a barbell on your back and going to parallel. Doesn't matter if you have to start at 95lbs, do them right.

Deadlift, builds the most mass of ANY exercise. Avoid bouncing the weight off the ground.

Press, bench, overhead, incline,

Eat! You may need to eat 3500-4000 calories per day to gain weight.

I've retired from competition this year, but I used to be a nationally competitive strongman and placed 3rd in Arizona's Strongest Man twice. I'm 6'4" and at my highest weight in 2011 I was 346 lbs. I used to have to eat 6000-8000 calories per day just to maintain. Quite a chore to say the least. One of the main reasons I retired (besides getting old) was not having the time or willpower to keep eating so much. Now I'm a more comfortable 295lbs and eat 3500-4500 to maintain.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #88
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
This ^

Squat, I mean real squats with a barbell on your back and going to parallel. Doesn't matter if you have to start at 95lbs, do them right.

Deadlift, builds the most mass of ANY exercise. Avoid bouncing the weight off the ground.

Press, bench, overhead, incline,

Eat! You may need to eat 3500-4000 calories per day to gain weight.

I've retired from competition this year, but I used to be a nationally competitive strongman and placed 3rd in Arizona's Strongest Man twice. I'm 6'4" and at my highest weight in 2011 I was 346 lbs. I used to have to eat 6000-8000 calories per day just to maintain. Quite a chore to say the least. One of the main reasons I retired (besides getting old) was not having the time or willpower to keep eating so much. Now I'm a more comfortable 295lbs and eat 3500-4500 to maintain.
Beast. what was your best 1rm squat/bench/dl at what weight?

eating really is a chore... this is why i think its funny when people make it seem like maintaining some manorexic physique (or lackthereof) is difficult. its a lot harder to eat 4-5k calories a day than it is to make sure you eat less than 2 thousand. fat loss is simple math. Muscular hypertrophy and strength training is not. lift big and don't eat enough you don't get stronger (or bigger). Eat enough but dont train properly you don't get stronger (or bigger).

Also the whole trend of maintaining some ridiculously shredded physique while putting on pound of muscle every year without using drugs is such a farce. no, you don't have to become a fat fuck to get strong, but you're not gonna be ready for a bodybuilding show when your main focus is building muscle. everyone is obsessed with getting shredded now. Takes months/weeks to cut, takes YEARS to build muscle.
Appreciate 0