F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Hires Ferrari Chief Engineer Roberto Fedeli
ARMA SPEED

10-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #45
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Bingo

Now I know why BMW just raised their prices. 2-300 per car - I m ok to pay 200$ more for Ferrari vs BMW f30. I'll be buying f30f now....
      10-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Hope he brings Ferrari sound to the BMW ASD
Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #47
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Traction please!

Great news. Driving both brands of cars back to back the one thing I would hope he immediately gets his input on is traction. It is amazing how Ferrari can put its power down off the line and out of corners smoother than the current M cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #48
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

I hope this means some dramatic improvement with BMW's current AWD/X-Drive systems. I'd like to see BMW or M for that matter use the FF system that Ferrari developed.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #49
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

M Performance 2-series ActiveTourer S-drive 2.8 Scuderia
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #50
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hope he brings Ferrari sound to the BMW lineup
I don't see BMW making any high revving NA V8s in the future, especially flat planed ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #51
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Wow. Theyve got him now as well as the guy from Audi. I wonder what designs and power we will see in the coming years.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #52
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sweet, does he have the ability to make a water pump last longer than 50k miles? How about engine bearings, any chance we can have a motor that doesn't need bearings replaced as regular maintenance? I'm just so hopeful.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #53
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sweet, does he have the ability to make a water pump last longer than 50k miles? How about engine bearings, any chance we can have a motor that doesn't need bearings replaced as regular maintenance? I'm just so hopeful.
Well, considering this is a Ferrari hire, we can look forward to BMWs catching fire and burning to the ground in the middle of the street now
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #54
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Well, considering this is a Ferrari hire, we can look forward to BMWs catching fire and burning to the ground in the middle of the street now
One does have to wonder if Ferrari is going to the be same after they seem to be undergoing such internal turmoil. Especially as they transition to a hybrid/forced induction world, it's more important than ever that they stay true to their brand principles.

I already saw the Ferrari California T in person and it sounded so quiet compared to its NA predecessor
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #55
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Dear NickyC,

No.

Sincerely,

Norbert Reithofer
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #56
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I already saw the Ferrari California T in person and it sounded so quiet compared to its NA predecessor
Yeah, that's the funny thing about cramming a turbine in between the exhaust valves and the tailpipe. They never sound the same Honestly, about the only turbocharged engine sounds I like are cars with no mufflers, and that makes the car very difficult to live with day-to-day.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #57
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Dear NickyC,

No.

Sincerely,

Norbert Reithofer
LoL, nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #58
GOS7
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F82, E28 535is

Fedeli should have been the Chief of M division, it just makes more sense. I cringe at the though of M cars being awd drive and soul-less and numb from behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #59
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
And that, my friends, is the sweet spot occupied by my M235i (with wife smiling, not crying)

That seems a rather casual slam against M Performance owners. What makes me any less of a "BMW lover" or "purist" because I didn't buy an M car? In truth the "raw M car" is "too much" for all drivers at least 95% of the time on public roads. On local roads I can get past the posted speed limit in first gear, and it corners like it's on rails. Let's not lapse into "M snobs" or "M Performance poseurs" talk.
No not at all, I didnt intend it to sound like that. I think the original comment I replied to was something about why the M sales have suffered as of late.
In truth yes most of the M products are a bit raw for the mast majority.

I was implying that BMW M performance automobiles are taking sales away from the actual M division cars. I think there is much truth to this. And here is why, most people dont need all that what a pure M divison car is offering when they can get plenty of that in an M performance version. Especially now with all the add on bits that even make it look so much closer to an M then ever (not a bad thing at all).

Yeah I dont care about the M deuchery or whatevever people say about M performance poser crap. I am a fan of BMW even though today most poeple say they have lost some soul, well I say this Ill weather this storm and hope they keep listening and make cars to please everyone including myself. Can you honestly say BMW doesnt make a car for everyone? I think they do...

And no, it doesnt make you any less of a purist or BMW fan. Same goes for myself. I have never owned an M car (I want to next purchase) or an M performance variant. But hey I sure as hell enjoy my 335i does everything I need it to do and more.
      10-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #60
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
That's an interesting thought. In one road test of the M4 there was a comment that questioned why anyone would want a faster car to drive on the street. An M5/M6 is going to be faster in a straight line, but less nimble due to the additional weight.

So perhaps a car like the M5 doesn't need to be faster than an M4. What it might need is to be as fast as an M4 without so much extra mass, and with very high levels of luxury.
I know for myself personally, I would never need more then the current M3/4 output maybe just a slight tune to bump up 30-40 to say well I like to tinker a bit...

I have had a 700 hp car and I cant say I had more fun in that car then I did in a 350-400hp car. There just comes a point where its unusable. Im in my 30's I want subtle and quick but classy. M3 is exactly that.

Now as for the M5 loosing that much weight well perhaps next generation with use of carbon fiber. I cant see that the M4 ever being close in a straighline as the M5 but there is always that glory to people of beating something thats "suppose" to be more expensive and faster with a lesser car.

I say less weight and less hp in the futrue. I dont need 600hp. Give me 350hp 2700lb car
      10-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #61
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone
Great news. BMW does lack some inspiration right now, in my opinion. Somehow they can't keep the edge over the competition, and they really need some innovative solutions in their future cars, like a truly outstanding and maybe switchable AWD system, electric power in mass-market sports cars to compensate for the turbocharged engine response, better sound, lighter construction, etc.
+1

New blood with high end pedigrees this is what BMW needs right now, prefect timing if u ask me. I hope they bring some badass new perspective to the M division and the i cars! I have seen the first LaFerrari here in The Hamptons when Ferrari flew it over for an exclusive purchasers dinner event. And man that was a sweet freaking ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #62
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
No not at all, I didnt intend it to sound like that. I think the original comment I replied to was something about why the M sales have suffered as of late.
In truth yes most of the M products are a bit raw for the mast majority.

I was implying that BMW M performance automobiles are taking sales away from the actual M division cars. I think there is much truth to this. And here is why, most people dont need all that what a pure M divison car is offering when they can get plenty of that in an M performance version. Especially now with all the add on bits that even make it look so much closer to an M then ever (not a bad thing at all).

Yeah I dont care about the M deuchery or whatevever people say about M performance poser crap. I am a fan of BMW even though today most poeple say they have lost some soul, well I say this Ill weather this storm and hope they keep listening and make cars to please everyone including myself. Can you honestly say BMW doesnt make a car for everyone? I think they do...

And no, it doesnt make you any less of a purist or BMW fan. Same goes for myself. I have never owned an M car (I want to next purchase) or an M performance variant. But hey I sure as hell enjoy my 335i does everything I need it to do and more.
High taxes in many EU countries keep customers away from such vehicles as the X5M and X6M. The best thing regarding the BMW M Performance models is that BMW sell vast quantities of the X5 and X6 M50d to European customers to compensate for lack of M-X vehicles. The Diesel and emission levels fit within a suitable and accessible tax band in most countries so they not held back with financial penalties as the other models.

M Performance sales and M Sport models combined with standard M models as well as M Performance accessories provide significant profit, and more are coming.
Where this guy ends up is anybody's guess as well as BMW and BMW M you also have BMWi , MINI and Rolls-Royce.
      10-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #63
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
High taxes in many EU countries keep customers away from such vehicles as the X5M and X6M. The best thing regarding the BMW M Performance models is that BMW sell vast quantities of the X5 and X6 M50d to European customers to compensate for lack of M-X vehicles. The Diesel and emission levels fit within a suitable and accessible tax band in most countries so they not held back with financial penalties as the other models.

M Performance sales and M Sport models combined with standard M models as well as M Performance accessories provide significant profit, and more are coming.
Where this guy ends up is anybody's guess as well as BMW and BMW M you also have BMWi , MINI and Rolls-Royce.
Very good explanation and info. Sometimes we tend to overlook other countries standards and high taxes. Totally makes perfect sense. Im definetely a fan of the M SPORT and M Performance lines...so yes please keep em comin
      10-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #64
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
This is good news. BMWs have definitely lost their sport sedan feel with the current generation of cars.
Hopefully, these new guys can bring some soul back into BMWs.
After I installed Dinan Shockware, I've got to say that feel is back... Now just for some good old engine tuning.

I do have say though... my 2008 335 felt like an entirely different animal compared to my 2014 435.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #65
Ascastlat
Rep
Drives: E90

Hopefully he can bring back great steering feel and handling.
      10-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #66
BMWAELBILAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAELBILAL View Post
Thank u now I understand but one more question
Its going to stay a BMW motor and BMW made and BMW strength right
They are bringing two guys from other places. They aren't *becoming* Ferrari or Audi. Use your head, man.
just making sure
Appreciate 0