F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Drivetrain Malfunction after rear end collision
Studio RSR

09-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
brennan2323
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Drivetrain Malfunction after rear end collision

I have a 2018 330i and I was stopped in traffic yesterday and got rear ended by a small Nissan probably doing around 30 - 35mph. Luckily everyone was able to walk away from it other than some back pain. I'm not a big car guy so forgive me for some less than accurate terms. The driver hit me on my driver side rear end. Bumper has a large gash in it and is knocked out of place, taillight is gone, trunk opens and closes (not easily like before the accident), but something shifted because the cargo compartment cover in the trunk will not sit flush anymore. It's drivable until I'm able to get it into a bodyshop, but right after the collision the drivetrain malfunction warning came on. When I say right after I mean he hit us and 10 seconds later the warning came on. I shut the car off and upon restart the warning flashed for a second and then went away. It hasn't come on since, but I'm nervous there was more internal damage and don't want to get stranded before I get it into the shop. Also, after getting done I had to make a u-turn at the next light and heard some grinding noise coming from the back I think.

Anyone have an idea as to why this would come on and then go away?? Also, with the cover in the trunk not sitting flush does that indicate possible frame damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

coulda be a million things from a sensor. at 35 mph shit is def fucked...no totalted but suspension is going to require some repair...tow that shit man. you aint paying for it
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Sorry to hear. While I can’t really help due to lack of knowledge, I hope your car gets sorted/repaired, soon. Also, get diminished value from their insurance, for sure, now that there’s a hit recorded. People really need to start paying attention, while driving, again!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

its HIGHLY unlikely you will get diminished value...lots of hopes and dreams posted on this fourm. you drive a 5 year old bmw. not a 5 year old rarri
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Would be worth a try, even in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #6
brennan2323
Rep

Diminished value will probably not happen so I'm not even going to go through the hassle of trying to get it. I took a closer look today at it and it the rear quarter panel is sitting higher above the tire than the other side so I'm sure that is going to have some damage as well. I have to say though that the car did it's job. The guy who hit me lost the entire front corner of his car. Literally hanging off the car.

I'm just hoping there is no frame damage. Once that comes into play adjustors will typically total the car for safety reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Yea "$afety" reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #8
brennan2323
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Yea "$afety" reasons.
Technically it's for liability reasons. If they agreed to fix the frame and later there were an accident with injuries or worse the argument could be made that the frame was weakened and not fixed up to proper standards leading to a lawsuit. So yes, $ reasons, but not $ for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:01 AM   #9
evomike
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
its HIGHLY unlikely you will get diminished value...lots of hopes and dreams posted on this fourm. you drive a 5 year old bmw. not a 5 year old rarri
lol what kind of thinking leads you to believe this, you can get diminished value on any car that has a clean history after a no fault collision. I would suggest finding a certified BMW repair center in your area and having the vehicle towed into them asap and get the repair process started.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #10
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
lol what kind of thinking leads you to believe this, you can get diminished value on any car that has a clean history after a no fault collision.
Most definitely, very much so in GA. Just helped a friend get almost two grand on her several years old X2, that car only needed a new rear bumper assembly.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 09-18-2023 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Diminished value will probably not happen so I'm not even going to go through the hassle of trying to get it. I took a closer look today at it and it the rear quarter panel is sitting higher above the tire than the other side so I'm sure that is going to have some damage as well. I have to say though that the car did it's job. The guy who hit me lost the entire front corner of his car. Literally hanging off the car.

I'm just hoping there is no frame damage. Once that comes into play adjustors will typically total the car for safety reasons.
If your car isn't deemed a total loss, you definitely should pursue DV. Not all cars that have structural damage are deemed total losses. Good luck with everything, please keep this thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #12
brennan2323
Rep

I was finally able to get it into the shop yesterday. They are not BMW certified, as the closest one is not really close, but have an excellent reputation and one of their other locations is BMW certified. I asked about using OEM parts and he said they try to always use OEM and will work with the insurance company to try and make sure they get used. Did say in some cases the insurance company will insist on aftermarket or used for certain parts, but I can fight them on it when I get the estimate. His main concerns were possible rear frame damage and after I told him the car has been pulling right and I need to keep the steering wheel left to keep it straight, he noticed the back tire looks pushed forward. He said it's going to their alignment guy first to see what's going on with that and then start tearing it apart. He was going to run the diagnostics and see what codes were showing also. For now I get to drive around in a Malibu....so much fun.

For DV do I request it through the insurance company or do I have to get an attorney?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:49 AM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
I was finally able to get it into the shop yesterday. They are not BMW certified, as the closest one is not really close, but have an excellent reputation and one of their other locations is BMW certified. I asked about using OEM parts and he said they try to always use OEM and will work with the insurance company to try and make sure they get used. Did say in some cases the insurance company will insist on aftermarket or used for certain parts, but I can fight them on it when I get the estimate. His main concerns were possible rear frame damage and after I told him the car has been pulling right and I need to keep the steering wheel left to keep it straight, he noticed the back tire looks pushed forward. He said it's going to their alignment guy first to see what's going on with that and then start tearing it apart. He was going to run the diagnostics and see what codes were showing also. For now I get to drive around in a Malibu....so much fun.

For DV do I request it through the insurance company or do I have to get an attorney?
Glad you are OK. That's the most important outcome.

Equally glad you found a shop with excellent reputation. In these cases, just have confidence in their inspection process. It's literally a process.

While driving Malibu, to pass the time create a daily journal with improvements that you can send to GM's CEO. It's an alternative approach to appreciate your replacement BMW.

Cars can be replaced and at the end of the day are a collection of metal, rubber, plastic, and glass parts that we happened to like enough to purchase or lease.

Keep the community updated!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #14
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Read through this thread, around post #34 (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2051201&page=2) or PM barryc365 as he seems to have some knowledge about it. GL!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:56 AM   #15
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Do it on your own, most attorneys aren't going to waste the time on DV. They want the BI. I work in the insurance industry, feel free to PM me if you want. If you haven't already told the insurance company you're going to pursue DV, let them know now. If the car does end up being deemed a total loss, your DV request becomes moot.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
brennan2323
Rep

I got my car back yesterday and it looks great. Total was around $6,000 for repairs. Of course, this morning I turn on my heat and notice that only the driver side vents are blowing out hot air along with the backseat vent. Passenger middle and side vents will only blow cold air. I don't want to sound like an idiot in calling back the collision center, but is it possible the initial accident may have caused this? Or is this just a major coincidence? It was not like this prior to the accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 04:27 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Rear hit is usually bad news if things don't line up right meaning twisted shell. Our '11 Civic was totalled while parked up outside our house by a 24 YO who just drove into the back of it in broad daylight.
Appreciate 0