F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The *HOME THEATER* Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

12-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I thought about a projector setup in my dedicated room. I decided against it because I would have to get an "acoustically" transparent screen with the required EQ to compensate for the screen being in front of the center channel speaker. In addition, I don't know if I would like to deal with having extreme controlled lighting conditions to get the maximum benefit out of a projector. It's a pain as it is with the Pioneer 1010HD I have in the family room with the ambient daylight.

But the main thing is what the screen and EQ would do to the acoustics of the system. I didn't have the option of auditioning a system like mine with a perforated screen. So I didn't want to gamble. I'm extremely anal about acoustics. I can hear tonal mismatches with sub par centers which don't use the same driver compliment as the main left right speakers in addition to the spatial imbalance of not having the tweeter and midrange not in the vertical alignment. It's no accident that my center is the center it is because it uses the same exact drivers as my left right mains. It also is not the typical MTM (midrange tweeter midrange) setup which is acoustic design mess due to the combing effects off axis. And it's no accident that the midrange and tweeter of my center is at the exact same height as the midrange and tweeter of the left right mains. In hindsight, if I were to do things all over again, I would have purchased another Nautilus 804 speaker for the center instead of the HTM 1 I have now. This would guarantee the same acoustic characteristics for all the audio channels. The HTM 1 is very close to the 804s but not exact match.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
still looking for a panel that can surpass the quality of my 101FD.
I wish Pioneer had put the same 9.5G tech in my 141FD Signature. Imagine what would have been if Pioneer released the 10G panels before exiting the market. Very sad indeed.

And for those that don't understand why Pioneer leaving the market was such a huge hit on the advancement of TV technology, you need to listen to this interview of Josh Kairoff formerly of Pioneer Electronics on the extents Pioneer went to push the technology envelope.

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/13
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #47
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
I thought about a projector setup in my dedicated room. I decided against it because I would have to get an "acoustically" transparent screen with the required EQ to compensate for the screen being in front of the center channel speaker. In addition, I don't know if I would like to deal with having extreme controlled lighting conditions to get the maximum benefit out of a projector. It's a pain as it is with the Pioneer 1010HD I have in the family room with the ambient daylight.

But the main thing is what the screen and EQ would do to the acoustics of the system. I didn't have the option of auditioning a system like mine with a perforated screen. So I didn't want to gamble. I'm extremely anal about acoustics. I can hear tonal mismatches with sub par centers which don't use the same driver compliment as the main left right speakers in addition to the spatial imbalance of not having the tweeter and midrange not in the vertical alignment. It's no accident that my center is the center it is because it uses the same exact drivers as my left right mains. It also is not the typical MTM (midrange tweeter midrange) setup which is acoustic design mess due to the combing effects off axis. And it's no accident that the midrange and tweeter of my center is at the exact same height as the midrange and tweeter of the left right mains. In hindsight, if I were to do things all over again, I would have purchased another Nautilus 804 speaker for the center instead of the HTM 1 I have now. This would guarantee the same acoustic characteristics for all the audio channels. The HTM 1 is very close to the 804s but not exact match.
Screen Innovations' acoustically-transparent screen material (called "Maestro") is the reference for the industry when it comes to acoustic performance. It's woven design is so transparent no corrective EQ is required.
That being said... Anytime you put something in front of your speakers it will have an effect. The allure of having the sound come directly from the center of the screen is a big part of what makes this setup a worthy consideration.
      12-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Screen Innovations' acoustically-transparent screen material (called "Maestro") is the reference for the industry when it comes to acoustic performance. It's woven design is so transparent no corrective EQ is required.
That being said... Anytime you put something in front of your speakers it will have an effect. The allure of having the sound come directly from the center of the screen is a big part of what makes this setup a worthy consideration.
The trick is being able to audition the Maestro screen with a system I am very familiar with. Not sure if any dealers would be willing to bring out a Maestro screen and have it set up in my listening room for me to run it through its paces for a few days.

I agree with you that every time you put something in front of a speaker, it's going to have an effect. How much is something that has to be determined. That's why I have the speaker grills removed from all the speakers in my system as pictured. I do leave the speaker grills on with the Nautilus 805s I have in my family room. The only speakers that I've run across which actually sound better with the grills on are the Mirage M490s I still own. The speaker grills are actually MDF baffles covered in acoustic cloth which forms the front baffle of the speaker.

As far as the allure of having sound coming from the center of the screen, it's a by product of my system if I had used a projector screen per the design of the setup and not due to wanting to have sound originating from the center of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #49
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i like this thread.

any klipsch fans here?

i don't have the model numbers or major details in front of me but my current setup is klipsch 5.1, dennon receiver and samsung 60". i built a media center than accepts a cable card and the entire home network gets cable and streaming. there's a 5 terabyte nas in there too.
Count me in. My living room is a Yamaha\Klipsch 5.1 setup, the bedroom is a complete Denon HTIB, and my office a an old Logitech X series 5.1 system. I have an HD Home Run that does CableCard for the 5 HTPC's I have running served by my old Dell PowerEdge 1900 with 10 TB (it's actually 12 TB before file system overhead) in it. All of it streamed over my wireless. Bedroom and living room fed by Wireless AC and the rest through Wireless N.
Appreciate 0