F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Roofers
Extreme Powerhouse

04-21-2024, 12:24 AM   #1
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

Looking for bit of advice regards roofers, we need some work on ridges/facia/chimney and section of roof over bay window. So had couple roofers turned up and most are about 2.5k-3k due to scaffolding required.

Come a cross another company that spoken outside screwfix one day, conversation turned in to one of them lads was setting up by him self, done few jobs ect. and if I wanted he could pop round to price it up.

So this lad turns up price is not much less which is fine but he also will do couple other jobs. He did ask if I don't mind paying half the money day before so he can pay for material /scaffold ect.. I can understand this as not all will have accounts. Then he says he will invoice me ect.

Work hasn't commence yet and received invoice stating what he will be doing ect. with first payment this day and balance on this day. What I spotted he issued a invoice with company name and his personal name but when he signed it used another surname.

Questioned him regards this and been told on top of invoice he uses his "government name" which is mother maiden name but when he signs he is using father's surname. Now this is all bit strange. Would you use him? Company has some reviews on net most are good apart from one about month ago. He is very eager to start the work ect. so all this setting alarms bells in my head.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 01:45 AM   #2
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

The only trade that demanded payment upfront I've come across is the kitchen guys which I can understand given the amount of materials. But no one else, roofers, decorators, electricans, plumber, even steel suppliers wanted any payment up front.

I suppose if he is just starting out he wouldn't have the cash flow to enable works to start and than collect payment, but just be mindful once he has your money, his incentive to do any work promptly (or at all) might he different. The fact his invoice is in a different name will make it almost impossible to chase up in court if it came to it.

I guess even just having these thoughts should help guide you on what you should do. Forget the cost of the work, virtually everyone quotes the same, trust is far more important. Remember you have to trust him to rip up a bit of your house, if you don't even trust his invoice........
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      04-21-2024, 02:08 AM   #3
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
The only trade that demanded payment upfront I've come across is the kitchen guys which I can understand given the amount of materials. But no one else, roofers, decorators, electricans, plumber, even steel suppliers wanted any payment up front.

I suppose if he is just starting out he wouldn't have the cash flow to enable works to start and than collect payment, but just be mindful once he has your money, his incentive to do any work promptly (or at all) might he different. The fact his invoice is in a different name will make it almost impossible to chase up in court if it came to it.

I guess even just having these thoughts should help guide you on what you should do. Forget the cost of the work, virtually everyone quotes the same, trust is far more important. Remember you have to trust him to rip up a bit of your house, if you don't even trust his invoice........
Definitely raised my concerns, when I spoken to him not once he mentioned he is trading under some name, I was under impression he is just setting up so tough why not, I need the job done and maybe will help him to get going. Then his invoicing with company name and once googled it does check out, his address ect., has some reviews about 10 most are good apart one of them calling him a thief, he offered to provide customer references without even asking him for it. His company has Facebook but nothing there just on Google. Looks like his is only trading/working for him self from 2023
If I use trade I usually go by word of mouth, unfortunately no one can recommend Roofer that I know.

Don't know, some of his actions was better then anyone elses, he was the only roofer that actually got his ladder out and got up on roof to check things, same thing he was checking the loft, everyone else just come down, walked around priced up then driven away. Offered couple of solution regards materials ect., and how to do things.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 05:37 AM   #4
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

trust your gut.
Appreciate 2
ade555120.50
Rbrown2766.50
      04-21-2024, 05:42 AM   #5
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So spoken to him again, asked him point blank about the nasty review and he has provided reasonable answer. Dispute over cost of website design, quated £300 but payment request come in for £3000 Nothing to do with his work ect. Got to take his word for it. He was upfront about why he is asking for money and this is for meterials and scaffold payment and not having cash flow ect.

Due to all this to protect my self I asked if he is able to identify him self, and is not something I wanted to ask but I'm not handing over money to any builder if I don't actually know who he is incase I need to chase them up or if matter would have to go to court ect.. Hope not. Invoice will be corrected is well.

His coming across a genuine lad and don't mind doing anything I ask him to prove he is who he says. Provided couple of addresses to go and check his work is well. Turns up when he says he will is well not like some traders.

I hope I won't regret my decision
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:46 AM   #6
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

From reading the above, I would run a mile.
I've been in and around the building trade all my working life and have never paid anyone, for anything up front; ever! I have never been paid for anything up front, either. All part of running a business IMO.

The names thing sounds like he is doing something dodgy, probably trying to be clever and avoid tax or VAT.

The best place for finding decent, honest tradesmen is your local builders' merchants. Just either ring them, or pop in and ask if they can recommend anyone. For roofing, call your local roofing supplies company, they will know all the local decent roofers.

A lot of 'do as you likeys' get involved in the roofing game, as it is quite easy to bodge stuff and rip people off. Most punters won't go up on their roofs to check work!

Last edited by Pond; 04-21-2024 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      04-21-2024, 08:12 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

It all seems a bit shifty to me. There are too many reasons to just say no, IMO, including handing over any payment in advance.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:36 AM   #8
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

I have a few rules in life that serve me well. As MY340i said.

If it doesn't look or feel right, then it probably isn't.

Walk away and spend your money with someone else.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:27 AM   #9
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If it wasn't for that surname hick up on invoice I wouldn't start to question him been honest.

I had 2 other firms turned up, both sort of looked from ground up and said this and that. He was only one that took ladder out climb up pushed few tiles up to inspect facias/ bay window roof ect. took few pictures and fels like properly asess the job.

So my gut feeling was he actually knows what he is doing, then this fiasco started from invoice, hence my hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 10:13 AM   #10
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
If it wasn't for that surname hick up on invoice I wouldn't start to question him been honest.

I had 2 other firms turned up, both sort of looked from ground up and said this and that. He was only one that took ladder out climb up pushed few tiles up to inspect facias/ bay window roof ect. took few pictures and fels like properly asess the job.

So my gut feeling was he actually knows what he is doing, then this fiasco started from invoice, hence my hesitation.
In which case you could simply tell it as it is - he comes across well, he has taken the time to actually look at the job, but the invoicing and business name is a concern. Happy to pay on completion, but nothing in advance.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      04-22-2024, 04:05 AM   #11
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So got in touch with him and made a offer to pay for materials ect my self and have this delivered to my house but his claiming he already bought this materials.

So agreement is:
1st payment: On day when he turns up with materials to do the job I will make first payment for that.
2nd payment : Scaffold is not getting put up on property till next day as is only needed to the front of the house and I will be paying once is arrives.
3rd payment : once his work is completed he will be getting final payment.

I think that is fare agreement between both parties.
Appreciate 1
Pond1872.00
      04-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #12
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

I had 2 lots of roof work done on my dad's roof. One was a flat roof complete replace the other was an extension roof lift all the tiles and replace the felt and battons. I found my roofer who came highly recommended on our local forum. Work totalled more than 5k . At no stage did he ask for any money up front only payment on completion on both jobs.
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      04-23-2024, 04:24 AM   #13
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So got in touch with him and made a offer to pay for materials ect my self and have this delivered to my house but his claiming he already bought this materials.

So agreement is:
1st payment: On day when he turns up with materials to do the job I will make first payment for that.
2nd payment : Scaffold is not getting put up on property till next day as is only needed to the front of the house and I will be paying once is arrives.
3rd payment : once his work is completed he will be getting final payment.

I think that is fare agreement between both parties.
Sounds like a fair compromise. Let us know how you get on with the work.
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      04-23-2024, 04:53 PM   #14
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well he turned up today day earlier then we agreed on but has asked if I don't mind it, all material dropped off and he started on my roof. Started without asking for money.

Made the first payment once he finished today and scaffold gets delivered on Thursday, agreement is made that 2nd payment goes to scaffold company, reason why I done it that way instead of paying him then he pays for it ect. I get to keep that for 35 days which will allow me to do some work around the bay window without trying to work off ladders ect. So happy with that result.

Got him to sign that he recived money ect., I always do it with anyone.

In all fearnes I don't want to jinx it but he is fairly young lad that builds his company up and I have taken a punt on him, based on first impressions when he come to quote it. Got bit cold feet when invoice arrived but he is saying now he understands my point of view regards paying upfront ect.
Appreciate 1
Pond1872.00
      04-23-2024, 11:19 PM   #15
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Glad it went well, now you have his number make sure you keep it for future needs!!
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      05-03-2024, 09:00 AM   #16
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I tough I will update this, not sure where to start, job has been completed on time and on face of it looked spot on. Yeah till it rained, absolutely bodged the flat bay roof where it meets sloped section under tiles. 24h after work completed lashed it down, which resulted nasty wake up call at 3am with water pouring down. He come out at 8am on Sunday and had a look and because it rained couldn't solve it. Didn't torched felt in place apparently which resulted water running under and straight down. He come the following day and assured me he sorted and will put single section piece at the back under tiles. Well he didn't, when questioned why he didn't he said it would be wasting material ect. My reply was it will leak again. Guess what first bit of rain and leaks again. Words fail me, I'm not a roofer but more then capable DIY person and know thing or two, there is back pice missing and to me felt is not high enough over the sloped section.
He's coming out again. Don't have a problem with him trying to sort it but I'm questioning if he actually has the ability to do. Not bothered about the bedroom ceiling as we pulled down anyway because of ongoing renovation hence why we doing the repairs to roof. Lesson learned any ounce of doubt just get someone else. Fell like it right mug

How many times would you allow him to sort this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
D69GMB465.50
      05-03-2024, 09:12 AM   #17
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I tough I will update this, not sure where to start, job has been completed on time and on face of it looked spot on. Yeah till it rained, absolutely bodged the flat bay roof where it meets sloped section under tiles. 24h after work completed lashed it down, which resulted nasty wake up call at 3am with water pouring down. He come out at 8am on Sunday and had a look and because it rained couldn't solve it. Didn't torched felt in place apparently which resulted water running under and straight down. He come the following day and assured me he sorted and will put single section piece at the back under tiles. Well he didn't, when questioned why he didn't he said it would be wasting material ect. My reply was it will leak again. Guess what first bit of rain and leaks again. Words fail me, I'm not a roofer but more then capable DIY person and know thing or two, there is back pice missing and to me felt is not high enough over the sloped section.
He's coming out again. Don't have a problem with him trying to sort it but I'm questioning if he actually has the ability to do. Not bothered about the bedroom ceiling as we pulled down anyway because of ongoing renovation hence why we doing the repairs to roof. Lesson learned any ounce of doubt just get someone else. Fell like it right mug

How many times would you allow him to sort this?

No need to feel like a mug. I was caught once like this regarding getting our driveway redone and paid the guy half upfront. Never ever again, months of excuses and bullshit, had to in the end pay him a visit with a friend and demanding an instant refund in full before we left.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:45 AM   #18
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
That is what happened with us. First quote included £1000s in scaffolding blah blah, but the next guy who came out, got his ladder out, replaced a few slate tiles that big fat pigeons like to flop onto and break, charged us a few hundred and got on with it.

He also repointed some cement around our dorma window as a bonus extra touch.

Shouldn't all tradesmen dealings be that simple?
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      05-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #19
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I just been on phone with him because sent him a written text, he gets last chance to put this right tomorrow and I requested water test after job, if he don't want to agree to this might is well not turned up and will send him a bill from another company as lost trust in his ability. Problem is asked few people around and not one can recommend roofers even after they had jobs done. This says it all. He does turn up to try to fix it but just trying to cut corners on materials I think, roll of felt is not that expensive but looks like he don't want to pay for it.

Just do the job to right for God sake, I even sent him youtube video how someone do it now so he can see it for him self 🤣

Hope he will turn up tomorrow 🤞, told him no new roll of felt, no back board he can jump back in his van and go away.

In grand scheme of things if I could torched felt I would have done it my self or should have done it using EDPM, scaffold for front of property was £400 and that is cheap plus I keep it to sort windows out.

I'm more then understanding, mistakes do happen on job, but this is silly mistake and cost cutting on his part, jobs wasn't cheap but I think he got to gready is my honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:15 PM   #20
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sounds like he doesn't really know what he is doing TBH. You said earlier that he was 'just starting out on his own'.
He was probably an apprentice up until now and hasn't learned the trade. Was maybe sacked because he was useless?

Find your local roofing supplies company and ask them to recommend someone who is trustworthy and knows their stuff.

Looking at the picture above, I would have used a rigid plastic 'valley' type section (can't recall the name for them) sealed at the roof membrane and the felt to prevent rain blowing under.
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50
      05-03-2024, 02:55 PM   #21
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Sounds like he doesn't really know what he is doing TBH. You said earlier that he was 'just starting out on his own'.
He was probably an apprentice up until now and hasn't learned the trade. Was maybe sacked because he was useless?

Find your local roofing supplies company and ask them to recommend someone who is trustworthy and knows their stuff.

Looking at the picture above, I would have used a rigid plastic 'valley' type section (can't recall the name for them) sealed at the roof membrane and the felt to prevent rain blowing under.
Felt newer works or last when used in patches and only explanation I can come up with underestimated in material, so instead of going in one piece he decided to use section, looking around ect. it should have back board, this would have stopped the sugging, also belive the flat board he placed is to short and is not going all the way back leaving couple of inches. You will see in pic below what I mean regards the upstand. Not sure if he was apprentice or not, said he worked for a company as subbie and when looked around there is couple more in area that operates the same. If I have been quoted lot less then some other firms I would have maybe some alarms but when firms turning up and not even taking ladders out then him actually assessing the work ect. thought he knows what he is doing.

If I knew he will be using patches would have told him to get of that roof, then he comeback and trying to fix saying he will be using one piece only to patch it over again. Just why? Trying to save couple ££, not worth the hassle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:26 PM   #22
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That picture shows strand board. You really don't want that near a roof unless it is perfectly sealed from water ingress.
Appreciate 1
ade555120.50