BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Question Clear Bra PPF : How seamless is your install?

After much debate, I am going to invest in full frontal paint protection film, IE: Clear bra. Full front: Bumper, full hood, fenders, and mirrors.

After researching films, I have narrowed it down to ; Suntek and Xpel. Both look great, and have located quality installers for either. I am undecided on which brand to go with at this very moment. Right now, the install technique is more important then choosing between these 2 brands. Both are self healing - quality films. Xpel offers a longer warranty (10yr VS 5yr)

My dilemma: Computer cut vs Bulk install.

Computer cut - Looks like you are destined to have more seams.
Bulk - Ability to custom cut and wrap around all panels.

Couple of questions for those who have done PPF on their M3:

1) How seamless did your installer go? Hood would most likely be easiest to get seamless on. Can you wrap portion closest to the windshield?

2) Fenders: Any visible seems there? Can film be wrapped into door jamb area where meets the door? Top portion can be wrapped into engine bay.

3) Front bumper: Granted - probably the most difficult - various shapes and curves - how close have installers been able to achieve?

Not a cheap investment , and want to make sure it's done right!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I got this done on my '13 the same week that it was delivered. It was done at a local well known place called The Tint Shop. They used top of the line 3M film. I had the whole front end done. Hood, bumper, fenders Headlights, rocker panels, side mirrors, and a little strip behind the rear tires. It wasn't computer cut, they laid it out and cut it by hand. It is pretty seamless, well cut around the hood vents, hardly visible. The fenders were cut around the side gills, not tucked in the door jam or the engine bay. The front bumper took him the longest to do. Some visible seams around the front grill and headlights. Cut around the side markers. If I tried to take pictures the seams wouldn't really show up, given my car is Alpine white. Might be able to see it more on darker colors but not sure. The side mirrors started to peel back a bit (he warned me of that happening), just because how they are curved. I ended up getting the OEM CF covers anyways so I didn't really care. It costed me around $1700 with tinting my windows so it wasn't too bad. It is cheap insurance from rock chips on my brand new 70k car in my mind. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
My Xpel was cut, but it's flawless. I think it depends on the experience of the installer. I had just done a repaint of the front apron and mirror caps before having it applied, waited about 60 days before having the bra applied and they did a perfect job.

If you're looking for some macro shots, I can probably get you some if you like. I only had 1/3 hood done though and it's alpine white, which is tricky for clear bra installations and material choice.
      09-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Had the full front end done on my AW. Complete bonnet but they cut half fenders, before the side wents.
DD around the year incl winter with lots of dirt flying around, so went for a thick material. Certainly possible to spot the edges but looks still great and wow how nice it is to have the protection!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Slammo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW E92 M3 ZCP

I had Expel professionally installed on the front bumper, full hood, mirrors, rocker and quarter panels on my E92 AW M3. This is the 2nd car I've had done in Expel, very pleased with the results...no more paint chips!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Had entire front end done and it came out flawless. All edges were wrapped - no seams. Film used was Suntek, which has self healing properties. Extremely good quality- I highly recommend it.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs
Had entire front end done and it came out flawless. All edges were wrapped - no seams. Film used was Suntek, which has self healing properties. Extremely good quality- I highly recommend it.

Looks great. I picked up a 2012 MW e92 about a month ago with a partial bra of unknown brand. It looks terrible. There are seams everywhere on the bumper. Hoping to pick up a euro bumper next year and have it done properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

When the car gets dirty, you'll see the dirt buildup on the edges. Two ways that'll prevent this:

1. depending on the color of the car, some colors would show others don't. I have SSII and it shows up under low light conditions. In the sun it is seamless. Solution: get a different color? lol.

2. get the full front clip wrapped. Bam, no seams at all. As long as the film covers an entire panel and not a partial area, it won't show seams at all as long as it's tucked completely.

My bra is 3M Ventureshield

cost me ~$700 in materials and I installed it myself with a friend over the course of 5 days.
Appreciate 0