BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #111
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather
England
Rep
Drives: 2010 White E92 M3

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, i hope you manage to get this 2nd engine sorted out. I'm in a similar position with a blown engine but i'm on my own! I'm not sure if that's better or worse than your case to be honest

One thing i do remember is the exact sound of the video, mine made exactly the same noise.

Also, replacing the engine with a similar mileage isn't any good. It needs to be inspected and rebuilt so you know its good before going to the hassle of re-fitting.

Mine died on 44K so even lower mileage doesn't mean its OK
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #112
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialScott View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, i hope you manage to get this 2nd engine sorted out. I'm in a similar position with a blown engine but i'm on my own! I'm not sure if that's better or worse than your case to be honest

One thing i do remember is the exact sound of the video, mine made exactly the same noise.

Also, replacing the engine with a similar mileage isn't any good. It needs to be inspected and rebuilt so you know its good before going to the hassle of re-fitting.

Was your blown motor bearing related?
Sorry to hear about engine.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #113
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Was your blown motor bearing related?
Sorry to hear about engine.
He was saying (CrucialScott) that his engine made exactly the same rattle noise.
So you can bet on it..."Sure it was bearing failure" .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #114
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
He was saying (CrucialScott) that his engine made exactly the same rattle noise.
So you can bet on it..."Sure it was bearing failure" .
I totally agree, but just wanted to make sure before adding him to the registry if he's not on there already.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #115
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I totally agree, but just wanted to make sure before adding him to the registry if he's not on there already.
Sadly some you need to register 2 X .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #116
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather
England
Rep

Quote:
Yes it was bearings and no i don't think i'm on the registry...Feel free to add me, PM me for any information
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #117
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Yes it was bearings
You have the engine apart now?...any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #118
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
I'm in a similar position with a blown engine but i'm on my own!

Damn, you're even worse off than I am. Did you not purchase any warranty at least or did it run out? I know how you feel and I hope you'll be able to get a good deal on a well-maintained engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #119
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
Damn, you're even worse off than I am. Did you not purchase any warranty at least or did it run out? I know how you feel and I hope you'll be able to get a good deal on a well-maintained engine.
He's here with pic # 205 => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...073979&page=10

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #120
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
No not yet sorry, need to collect the engine from Redish Motorsport and get it to my garage.

I know without opening it up its 100% bearings

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, but it is what it is. An no, didn't have warranty....Its a long story. Similar to you in a way, that i bought an M3 with history that i didn't know about until i had problems and then was told by my local dealership the car was flagged as a track-car on BMW records. Turns out it was! Tried to get my money back from the car dealer with legal action but they ceased to trade by the time the engine went bang (i drove the car for just over a year problem free).

The car had, to my knowledge at the point of buying it, BMW 3 year new car warranty still however when the engine went bang 2 months out of its 3 years was when i found out it was a track car for 2 year previously while trying to claim a 'goodwill gesture' on a replacement engine and leaking DCT fix...

Oh and the front sub-frame was cracked too, which we didn't find until the engine came out

But at the end of the day its only a car

Last edited by CrucialScott; 01-19-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #121
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialScott
Quote:
No not yet sorry, need to collect the engine from Redish Motorsport and get it to my garage.

I know without opening it up its 100% bearings

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, but it is what it is. An no, didn't have warranty....Its a long story. Similar to you in a way, that i bought an M3 with history that i didn't know about until i had problems and then was told by my local dealership the car was flagged as a track-car on BMW records. Turns out it was! Tried to get my money back from the car dealer with legal action but they ceased to trade by the time the engine went bang (i drove the car for just over a year problem free).

The car had, to my knowledge at the point of buying it, BMW 3 year new car warranty still however when the engine went bang 2 months out of its 3 years was when i found out it was a track car for 2 year previously while trying to claim a 'goodwill gesture' on a replacement engine and leaking DCT fix...

Oh and the front sub-frame was cracked too, which we didn't find until the engine came out

But at the end of the day its only a car
Ugghhhhhhh...... I ummmm don't know what to say ...... I am so so sorry mate!!!!! Even I feel the hurt .... It's really a great car n hard to replace with what's currently available .... I feel ya
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #122
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
the car was flagged as a track-car on BMW records.
Wow thats something you don't want to hear....was it a guy who tracked the car or a company who hired it out for track days?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #123
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather
England
Rep

Quote:
Wow thats something you don't want to hear....was it a guy who tracked the car or a company who hired it out for track days?
BMW sold a group of E92's to a race-track for their public 'experience' cars! They were never even driven on the road, until i came along unknowingly.

Don't want to hijack this thread anymore so PM me anyone if you want more information and look out for my strip down and rebuild video's and threads coming soon
Appreciate 0