F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Short Circuit to Ground
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
23hallkorr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Short Circuit to Ground

Last night I got a drivetrain malfunction with a check engine light and multiple codes about short circuit to ground. The car repair ppl told me the battery was weak and would eventually cause issues, do I just need to replace the battery or is this something else?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A weak battery doesn't cause a short to ground. You need to pull codes with a reader to see what's shorting. If you don't have one now you know why you should. Many reader apps are free, search them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
23hallkorr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A weak battery doesn't cause a short to ground. You need to pull codes with a reader to see what's shorting. If you don't have one now you know why you should. Many reader apps are free, search them.
Sorry I’m not sure what happened, I tried to attach the codes but it didn’t seem to work. The confusing part to me is that it’s in so many places.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can look each of them up here to see possible causes and cures:
https://bmwfault.codes/

Also try googling each, as in 'BMW 135B11'. That will show you posts from various sources who've dealt with the same problem.

One problem can sometimes cause others, in a cascading effect. For instance, a faulty ABS wheel sensor will throw codes for everything that uses wheel speed information, which is half the iDrive processes. Fix that one problem and the rest go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
23hallkorr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can look each of them up here to see possible causes and cures:
https://bmwfault.codes/

Also try googling each, as in 'BMW 135B11'. That will show you posts from various sources who've dealt with the same problem.

One problem can sometimes cause others, in a cascading effect. For instance, a faulty ABS wheel sensor will throw codes for everything that uses wheel speed information, which is half the iDrive processes. Fix that one problem and the rest go away.
Thanks! I replaced the battery just because it needed to be replaced anyways, ofc that didn’t do anything. After a lot of research I thought it was the IVM, and we even opened it up and found a black spot on one of those fuses, so we ordered a new IVM, that did not solve anything… just decided to bite the bullet and take it to the professionals.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
Wellingtonz
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 118i f20 n13/ 320i F30 N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23hallkorr View Post
Thanks! I replaced the battery just because it needed to be replaced anyways, ofc that didn’t do anything. After a lot of research I thought it was the IVM, and we even opened it up and found a black spot on one of those fuses, so we ordered a new IVM, that did not solve anything… just decided to bite the bullet and take it to the professionals.
hey mate, did you ever solve this? was wondering if it could be the ground wiring?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
23hallkorr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellingtonz View Post
hey mate, did you ever solve this? was wondering if it could be the ground wiring?
It was my camshaft position sensor that was short circuiting.. i don’t know the exact details of what was wrong with it, i paid someone else to fix it.
Appreciate 0