BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

07-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Is having an M3 in NYC overkill?

Will I get good use out of my M3 or am I better off with a 335is?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

i'd drive a huayra if i could, regardless of the city.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

It all depends on what your definition of overkill is? The m3 is fun but with lots of traffic it is hard to find places to redline it. I've owned both, skip the 335, you'll regret not getting the m3

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I drive my Evolve supercharged M3 every day from Manhattan to Queens and back. There are times that I don't ever get a chance to open it up on the entire 7.3 mile trip and it is disappointing but then there are the other times when I absolutely love it. Overall I think it is still worth having the M3 especially when you get out of NYC.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Which borough? I've had my e90 for a bit over 1yr in manhattan and pretty happy but a few thoughts:

- street parking pretty dicey and most parking lots are valet-only. I already had one bumper/quarter panel resprayed thanks to a valet hitting a pole.
- parking is a fortune but I guess that's moot because you will have some kind of car.
- roads got hammered this winter with potholes the size of buffalo's. I run cheap 18x8s with 235 winters (replaced 1 this winter). I have them stacked up in my covered balcony
- I have stock ZCP suspension and would love to drop a bit but just can't risk it with low garage clearance etc. so going to keep stock height (for now)
- no easy hand car washes that I could find - I go to a good place on Gun Hill Road in the Bronx.
- fill up the tank in NJ but I guess you figured that out already
- I'm pretty happy I got DCT transmission for the annoying stop-and-go traffic in town.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
ty7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've been daily driving mine from manhattan to ct and back for about a year, and don't regret getting the car for a second. Couple of thoughts:

If you garage it (I do), tip the guys well and even so think about getting a bumper guard.

Get wheel and tire protection if you can. The roads (esp the fdr) can be brutal on zcp 19's. I wouldn't lower the car or get a low lip given the potholes, random dips in the roads, and garage ramps.

Traffic obviously blows but there are plenty of roads in the area you can get out to quickly to open it up. And you're a couple of hours from a solid selection of tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
jwaggen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

It depends...

Do you have a commute, or is it a weekend car? Cost of having an M3 + garage could get you a membership at a classic car club. Anyone here part of that? I'd probably do that if I lived and worked in NYC.
      07-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
ChallengeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
Will I get good use out of my M3 or am I better off with a 335is?
Get the M. But than again it really does depend on the borough. In Manhattan it will be dicey with an M3, especially if you have OCD like most of us here do. Out towards the nassau border you will get plenty of 'good use" out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
ckyw113
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93 LeMans

Both are good choices to drive. I used to live on Roosevelt Island and had an E93 335is for 2 years. It definitely felt "quicker" than the M3 during traffic hours in and out of Manhattan / CT with the torquey engine. My 335is was such a fun car to drive in the city (most people can't tell the difference between 335is vs. M3).

I now have an E93 M3 and I have to say, the car is AMAZING on West Side Highway (weekday from 9:00 pm to 3:00 am, weekend from 7:00 to 9:00 am). Hearing the reving engine up and down West Side Highway, it's just a dream-come-true. Nothing is better than waving hi to the commuters on the tram, while reving through 7k rpm on the upper deck of the Queensborough bridge with the top down. The view is just simply amazing...

However, you should reserve $2,000 a year for wheels / tire damages if you don't have wheel/tire insurance. The roads can be brutal if you like going downtown. Uptown is quite fine (other than 2nd avenue). Don't get nice rims nor expensive suspension kits. They will die if you are not a overly cautious / careful driver.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

If ur going to live in Manhattan, don't bother. Shitty roads and traffic. If in LI, supercharge that bitch, you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
scutts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt

I loveeeeee it, but driving into Manhattan, you have to park in the garage, which can get expensive...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

So I test drove both cars this weekend and while the M3 was awesome, the 335is has plenty of power and I loved the torque. I'm still undecided. Both were manuals so i'm gonna try the DCT's another weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
It all depends on what your definition of overkill is? The m3 is fun but with lots of traffic it is hard to find places to redline it. I've owned both, skip the 335, you'll regret not getting the m3
I just don't know if I would be able to use it to its full potential being in a congested area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Which borough? I've had my e90 for a bit over 1yr in manhattan and pretty happy but a few thoughts:

- street parking pretty dicey and most parking lots are valet-only. I already had one bumper/quarter panel resprayed thanks to a valet hitting a pole.
- parking is a fortune but I guess that's moot because you will have some kind of car.
- roads got hammered this winter with potholes the size of buffalo's. I run cheap 18x8s with 235 winters (replaced 1 this winter). I have them stacked up in my covered balcony
- I have stock ZCP suspension and would love to drop a bit but just can't risk it with low garage clearance etc. so going to keep stock height (for now)
- no easy hand car washes that I could find - I go to a good place on Gun Hill Road in the Bronx.
- fill up the tank in NJ but I guess you figured that out already
- I'm pretty happy I got DCT transmission for the annoying stop-and-go traffic in town.
I live in west new york, nj across the hudson. There's a nice stretch on port imperial that would be cool to cruise on though. I work in midtown and drive to my gf's place in east harlem mostly on weekends.

Yeah I definitely am gonna have to get tire/wheel protection. I just don't know what im gonna do for parking. I don't wanna park on the street and it's too expensive to park indoors all the time. Bumper bully? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaggen View Post
It depends...

Do you have a commute, or is it a weekend car? Cost of having an M3 + garage could get you a membership at a classic car club. Anyone here part of that? I'd probably do that if I lived and worked in NYC.
Weekend car. I take mass transit to work in manhattan.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Weekend car...then it's gotta be the M. All other costs of car ownership are pretty much the same...just don't be too anal - expect bumper nudges and blown tires...I drive through Manhattan enough...switched out to 18x10 square setup since 19s just don't have enough sidewall and I damaged 3 tires in 1 year and was annoyed at not being able to rotate tires.

335 looks wise is pretty plain jane. M stands out even in stock form.

I lowered my car on springs, ride isn't much rougher and handles the roads just fine. Over time you'll just grow distain for why your tax dollars can't fix the roads.
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I don't get it, so is the car going to be parked in NJ during the week and you're going to drive it mostly in the city on the weekends?

If you are going to be just driving it around the city then the M is pointless unless you just want to stunt (stupid reason). I would rather have a 335 if all I'll be doing is stop and go driving...or better yet a 428i or maybe even a 5 series. I live in Queens and would never take my M to manhattan due to the roads, traffic, no parking, etc. I would also never valet my car anywhere.

However, I see that you have a RL in your profile. If you are going to have the RL (or any beater car) then I'd get the M3. I have a beater TL to drive if I have to drive to city or valet the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Just get an M... Done..

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I don't get it, so is the car going to be parked in NJ during the week and you're going to drive it mostly in the city on the weekends?

If you are going to be just driving it around the city then the M is pointless unless you just want to stunt (stupid reason). I would rather have a 335 if all I'll be doing is stop and go driving...or better yet a 428i or maybe even a 5 series. I live in Queens and would never take my M to manhattan due to the roads, traffic, no parking, etc. I would also never valet my car anywhere.

However, I see that you have a RL in your profile. If you are going to have the RL (or any beater car) then I'd get the M3. I have a beater TL to drive if I have to drive to city or valet the car.
Yeah I'll only be driving into the city on weekends. I'm gonna be selling the RL though so I'll just have this car. I might just go 335 and tune it if I want more power.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

I drive mine in NYC all the time. I wish I could drive it more. When I have the time, I don't even care about traffic lol.

335 are much cheaper right now but are you sure that's what you want? I had one before, a M is just always gonna be a M. I'm a M whore anyways.

I would get a range for NYC but then the parking garages charges a hell lot more than they already do for a SUV parking.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0