F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Lin to the Lakers!
GetBMWParts

07-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Lin to the Lakers!

Hoooray!!!!

Lin is headed to the Lakers to play w/Nash (who is a great future HOF player, who has been a friend and mentor to Lin, and who is likely to retire soon) and to w/Kobe (another future HOFer and someone he can assist and learn from before he also retires).

Couldn't be better for Lin. Didn't see any future for him with 6ers, Bulls or Celts or back w/the Knicks. Frankly, it was the trade that I was hoping for. It's his chance to play as a "true" point guard." He played great for D'Antoni during "Linsanity" in NYC but unfortunately (for Lin) D'Antoni has already resigned. The only question is who will take over as the Lakers' coach and whether he'll actually let Lin play the way that McHale didn't. If Kobe gets what he wants (which he probably will) the new coach will be Byron Scott. Not sure how Scott (or anyone else) would handle Lin but it can't be any worse that what McHale did to Lin in Houston.

It was speculated that Bosh would leave Miami, if LeBron went to Cleveland as has now just happened, to sign a max contract w/the Rockets but the rumor is now that Bosh is going to stay in Miami instead, since Miami is offering Bosh $118M for 5 years given LeBron's departure. If Bosh doesn't sign with Houston, Houston can match Dallas' $45M (3 yr) offer in the next day or so to keep Parsons but, if I were Parsons, I'd hope they won't do that, so that he can escape from Houston too.

Houston would be stupid not to match Dallas' offer for Parsons now that Melo has apparently also agreed to re-sign w/the Knicks but they may need that money to sign Rondo (if he's actually available). If they can't get Rondo either, they'll be left holding the bag and will have to rely just Beverly and Harden in the back court (since they also traded Brooks) and will only have Parsons (if they don't let him go) and Jones (if they haven't given him up too) to help out in the front court.

That'll be a pretty thin roster now and, unless they can make some other key trades to bolster their bench, I think they'll end up in the basement of the the Southwest Division below San Antonio (who will continue to own the division) and below both New Orleans (who got Asik) and Dallas (if they get Parsons).

Karma's a bitch!!!!

What ever happens, I'm ecstatic for Lin. The Rocket's have done nothing but disrespect him and attempt to diminish Lin's self-confidence and skills. IMHO, LA is currently the BEST team and market for him. LA was in last place in the Pacific Division last year (due in large part to Kobe's injury) and have no place to go but up. It's a major US sports market and the Lakers can pump the Asian market to make their money back on Lin and Lin can go to a place where he'll find significant fan support and where people will be more likely to pull for (rather than against) him to succeed before he's eligible for free-agency at the end of next year.

The only thing I'll have to get over is "rooting" for LA -- which will be hard for this native San Franciscan to do -- but if I could root for Houston when Lin was on the team, I'll be able to root for LA too.

LOL!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 07-11-2014 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Hmm.

Don't we have enough Laker turnovers as it is?
      07-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
lkn415
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn415 View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Haha, I love Lin but that still made me laugh. It makes be both happy and sad to be a Lakers fan right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

LMFAO @ anyone getting excited about a turnover machine...

this was every Rockets' fan dream - today was a great day...

thank you Lebron for going to Cleveland - without you, we'd have to stomach Lin for another year in a Rockets jersey....

Lakers fans will love it when Lin dribbles off his foot in close games HAHAHA !!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

just so everyone is clear - Lin is a one year rental to clear cap room for the Lakers...

the bonus for Lakers is the first round draft pick that they got from us....

Lakers don't care about Lin the player.....

p.s.
deal ain't 100% done yet because they have to address Gasol first...

if Lin officially makes it to LA, we got over on them BIG TIME....

if Lin comes back to Houston, every Rockets fan will be heartbroken....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

p.s.s.

Kobe is going to have a field day with "Smush Lin" lolololololol.......

mark my words, by the Christmas Break, Kobe will have already thrown Lin under the bus for something.....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey, Litos:

I'm just as happy Lin was freed from Houston as you are to get rid of him BUT, if you look at all of Morey's deals to date, Houston just comes up a BIG loser.

No Brooks (for Hamilton who was hardly used last year)
No Asik (for nothing except a 1st round draft pick from the Pels)
No Lin (for nothing and had to give up a draft pick, probably the same one the Pels gave up)
No Melo (re-signed w/Knicks)
No LeBron (signed w/the Cavs)
No Bosh (re-signed w/the Heat after the Rocs agreed to trade Lin to LA, which was a big FU to Houston from Bosh)

probably No Love because he's already had his fill of McHale and the Cavs are wooing him to join LeBron

probably No Rondo because he's probably better off staying in Boston where he'll continue to be the big cheese and won't have to give the ball to Harden

and maybe NO Parsons unless Morey is willing to pay him $46M for 3 years if they match the Mav's offer for him.

Do you think Parson's is worth $15.3M/year? I don't and, if you're honest, I don't think you do either. But, unless Morey wants to entirely rebuild the team around just Harden and Howard, he really has no choice but to match the Mav's offer, which puts him in an overbidding situation again.

I know you didn't think Lin was worth the $, but he wasn't being paid $15M next year because Morey thought he was "worth" it -- it was a poison pill to keep NY from matching the offer he made to get Lin in the 1st place. The "average" cost over 3 years was "just $8.3M/year, which was well w/in the market value for him and why that's the amount it "costs" against LA's cap this coming year. But, despite what you say, LA isn't paying $15M to Lin this year just to rent his services and clear cap space.

Anyone paying that much for his services will expect him to contribute to the team and in LA, Lin has a chance to actually play and prove himself before becomes an unrestricted free agent. For whatever reason, he was never given that chance in Houston and I'm looking forward to Kobe & Lin sticking it to the Rockets in their upcoming games next year. I'll admit that, if he fails to break out in LA, that will probably be it for him -- at least in the NBA. But, he'll have excellent mentors in Nash, Kobe and maybe even Magic. So, his prospects for success are the best they have ever been.

But, if his career in the NBA is over after next year, which I doubt, he'll have been paid $25M for 3 years of "work" and at 27 or 28 years old he can go back to graduate school for an MBA or an advanced degree in economics, or maybe just do advertising spots and/or public speaking engagements in Asia (and around the college circuit) where he's extremely popular, or just devote himself to his Christian ministry or maybe do all of the above.

In any event, Lin will be laughing all the way to the bank. Way to go JLin!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 07-11-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

@SSW When are you and Jeremy Lin getting married, because your infatuation for him is out of this world! Let's not forget that in team sports, one man (e.g. Kobe, Melo, LeBron) does not win a championship.

Most of what you've said about Houston is on point, except they never lost LeBron, Carmelo and Love because they never had any of them. I was a big fan of Lin when he played in Harvard, and closely followed his Summer League debut with Dallas (google John Wall vs Lin). I was excited when the Warriors signed him to an NBA contract, but it was a pain to watch him play NBA level basketball with the Warriors. His lack of development had to do with Keith Smart at that time, which led to the Warriors cutting him out of the roster. Linsanity was a great story for Lin, Asia and the NBA, but we all know that wasn't going to last, especially after the Bulls were able to shut him down during his Cinderella moment.

The point I'm trying to say is that Lin has been in the league for a few years now, and almost everyone in the NBA knows what he can and cannot do. Your hate for Houston is befuddling, because it was Kevin McHale's coaching decision, not the Rockets as a whole on how to best utilize Lin with a superstar 1-2 superstar combo guard in Harden.

With that said, LA's acquisition of Lin is strictly financial, and don't be surprised if Kendall Marshall gets more playing time than Lin in the upcoming season. LA isn't even considered a title contender this year with players like Nick Young, Jordan Hill, and two washed out former superstars.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
Your hate for Houston is befuddling, because it was Kevin McHale's coaching decision, not the Rockets as a whole on how to best utilize Lin with a superstar 1-2 superstar combo guard in Harden.
I never said I hated Houston . . . only that I didn't think McHale ever gave Lin a chance to fully develop and (in the end) just dis-repected and jerked him around, which is generally agreed and supported by what happened to him there.

His prospects are much better in LA and, even if they make him the 6th man there, he'll still be able ride out the season and take the $25M Morey stupidly offered him to the bank and, when the time comes, make good use of the money furthering his career or charitable interests outside of the NBA.
      07-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
outside of the NBA.
this.....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post

With that said, LA's acquisition of Lin is strictly financial, and don't be surprised if Kendall Marshall gets more playing time than Lin in the upcoming season. LA isn't even considered a title contender this year with players like Nick Young, Jordan Hill, and two washed out former superstars.
Washed out. lol I hope your not talking about Kobe.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Lin is garbage and was just a cap clear by Houston. Excellent move by Houston's GM and they stole Ariza. Probably good they didn't get Bosh because he's not worth $22m/yr.

If they can keep Parsons, Houston will be good if Howard can play better than a little bitch like he does too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
He's most likely washed up too...let's see how he plays.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
he is - and everyone agrees.

Kobe can't even walk onto the floor without something collapsing...

you hear that !?!? that's the sound of Kobe's bones and tendons being shredded by age.....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Lin is garbage and was just a cap clear by Houston. Excellent move by Houston's GM and they stole Ariza. Probably good they didn't get Bosh because he's not worth $22m/yr.

If they can keep Parsons, Houston will be good if Howard can play better than a little bitch like he does too much.
yep - Houston gives a shit less about Lin and so does LA.

LA needed him to "attract an audience", but they only want him for a year - they could also give 4 German shits about Lin as a person, and rightfully so, because he's a low tier PG.....

Ariza is a good pickup and cheaper than Parsons - even though Parsons was a fan favorite. Ariza can play better defense and he shoots the 3 a little better...

I'm sooooooo glad we didn't get Bosh...I would have taken Bosh 4 or 5 years ago, but not now...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

after signing Hill for 9mil (lmfao), it's pretty obvious 2014-15 is a low-expectation-throwaway-season for the Lakers.....

they weren't going to make the playoffs anyways....

Lin is literally the 2nd best person on the Lakers' roster right now and will be allowed to freelance on the floor (another lmfao)..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
he is - and everyone agrees.

Kobe can't even walk onto the floor without something collapsing...

you hear that !?!? that's the sound of Kobe's bones and tendons being shredded by age.....
We shall see. Kobe's production has never really dipped. He Is becoming injury prone yes but washed up is not the right word. If kobe is washed up in your opinion I guess Derrick Rose is as well lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

oh, and here is a quick observation about our GM Daryl Morey:

Asik and Lin's "bloated contracts" are the reason we were able to acquire thgem in the first place...

Both were acquired for NOTHING (no trades, draft picks, etc...) - we had both of those dudes for 2 years at a cut rate price of $5M/yr each....

we then dealt Lin (at the cost of our first rd pick) and dealt Asik (gaining the Pelicans first rd pick)...

........so at the end of the day, Morey got 2 players at a cut rate deal for 2 years and THEN swapped our first rd pick for the peilcans first rd pick - FOR NOTHING!!!!!

he's one of the best in the bizz, ya'll.....

p.s.
looks like Mark Cuban is channeling his inner Daryl Morey because he's pulling the same shit with Parsons...

touché Cuban, touché......
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Only thing I don't like about Ariza is that he had his best season in the east, which means he's facing teams with very mediocre to below average talent a lot of nights. Parsons did his damage in the west and I think he will have a better season. Arias should have held out for more money though. He is a steal at $8m and I doubt Parsons will play almost twice as well for nearly twice the salary.

He's making more than Dirk now and is the highest paid player for the Mavs. Don't disappoint us.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
He is a steal at $8m and I doubt Parsons will play almost twice as well for nearly twice the salary.
...and Morey knows this...

I think the Mavs offer was a bit over the top for Parsons and they were expecting Houston to match it...

but when Bosh didn't sign with Houston, now Dallas is forced to take Parsons at that price...

we essentially replaced Parsons with the same player at a cheaper price....

I'm telling ya'll, Morey knows his shit...
Appreciate 0