F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW vs Porsche Macan S
Extreme Powerhouse

06-12-2023, 08:56 PM   #23
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I would hold off of buying any Macan new at the moment. The only reason for this is due to the price increase. A new Macan GTS can run you into 100k easily and no matter how much I actually love driving the Macan, the GTS trim and even some S trims, don't really belong in that price category.

The T is still kind of worth the price but you have to be careful of the options as with any Porsche, it can easily run you far beyond the price range you want due to options.

Driving and handling wise though, there is literally no comparison. Any Macan handling and driving characteristic will feel better than any BMW equivalent (minus the cabin storage). I still don't like the 4 cylinders, including the Macan T. It doesn't fit the car. Porsche shoved a VW 4 cylinder that is in the Golf GTI, into a Macan that is 700+ lbs heavier. The Macan doesn't feel right with the 4 popper. The only thing BMW SUVs have above the Porsche SUVs is the speed. B48 and B58 are noticeably better engines compared to the corporate VW engines Porsche uses.

The only option I always suggest with the Macan is Porsche's Adaptive Air Suspension (PASM for short). It will change how you view SUVs and show you why BMW never gets their suspension setup correctly.
chassis6621.00
      06-12-2023, 09:50 PM   #24
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I would hold off of buying any Macan new at the moment. The only reason for this is due to the price increase. A new Macan GTS can run you into 100k easily and no matter how much I actually love driving the Macan, the GTS trim and even some S trims, don't really belong in that price category.

The T is still kind of worth the price but you have to be careful of the options as with any Porsche, it can easily run you far beyond the price range you want due to options.

Driving and handling wise though, there is literally no comparison. Any Macan handling and driving characteristic will feel better than any BMW equivalent (minus the cabin storage). I still don't like the 4 cylinders, including the Macan T. It doesn't fit the car. Porsche shoved a VW 4 cylinder that is in the Golf GTI, into a Macan that is 700+ lbs heavier. The Macan doesn't feel right with the 4 popper. The only thing BMW SUVs have above the Porsche SUVs is the speed. B48 and B58 are noticeably better engines compared to the corporate VW engines Porsche uses.

The only option I always suggest with the Macan is Porsche's Adaptive Air Suspension (PASM for short). It will change how you view SUVs and show you why BMW never gets their suspension setup correctly.
PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management
The air suspension is a 3rd option. IMO all 3 are outstanding, even the base. Porsche is the best at combining ride and handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:35 AM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
PASM (adjustable dampers) + air suspension (separate option) are game changers in a Cayenne. I imagine the difference between steel and air springs is a significant difference on Macan as well.

Agree on the comment earlier that the BMW 4-cylinder is a good engine, better than the EA888 VW engine. BMW’s is smoother, for one thing. This relates to balance shaft and engine mounts.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:55 AM   #26
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I just realized I didn't even reply to OP's question.

I had a Macan S, 2017 as well and didn't have as much issues with it but the numerous recalls (2 that I know of) was a bit of a warning. 2016 - 2017 Macans seem to be most prone to issues, not really sure why. The Air Suspension would definitely need to be maintained soon but the sad thing is, Macans are Porsche's disposable cars and they cost a lot to maintain if you take it to the dealership. The cost won't get any less after that point either.

Porsche has increased the price of all of their cars in 2024 model year. 911, 718, Taycan, Macan and Cayenne. A well optioned Macan S can now run you close to 90k easily while a decently optioned Macan GTS can be over 100k (USD of course) with a blink of an eye.

My best suggestion is, talk and shop with your wife first. See if the cost is worth it. As you own a 17' Macan S, I'd try to get into a Macan S if your wife really prefers it and she is the one driving it. If your wife doesn't want a BMW then what you want is kind of pointless, especially if she won't be happy with it. It is her choice after all if she is the one driving it. As the saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life."