F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Plastic particles in filter - F30 w/ B48 engine
Studio RSR

04-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Diverfrog
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i Xdrive

Plastic particles in filter - F30 w/ B48 engine

Hello,
I bought a 2017 330i Xdrive in July 2020, with 45,000 miles on the clock.
I have driven it 3,000 miles since.
The dealer warranty will be up next July.
I decided to do an oil and filter change yesterday (4/19/21), ahead of the end of warranty period to assess the health of the engine.
I started by putting in a new filter (legit OEM filter from Mahle).
After replacing the filter and before I get under the car, I take a look at the filter media and I see... lots of tiny black plastic particles!
I have postponed changing the oil for now.

Looking at the filter media I am seeing probably 20-30 plastic particles in total, all very visible with the naked eye, 4 or 5 maybe up to 1/16in long.
I found also the left over of something that could have been a bug (?) as well as a couple very tiny metal shavings.

I am really concerned about the plastic particles.
They are all black.
They all seem like solid plastic.
Using a sharp knife blade, it is hard to cut the largest particle in 2, part is strong, but the blade leaves a deep indent. It is not rubbery or mushy.
I do not think it is some sort of deposit, but really looks like hard plastic shards.

I do not know if I should proceed with the oil change and filter the oil, see what I find, and show it to BMW, or bring the car to BMW right now, show them the filter and ask them to investigate where the plastic is coming from.
In fact I do not know how much I can trust them to analyze the oil, or drop the oil pan to see if they find any plastic particles or remnants from parts in there.

This issue gets me worried. Is this some plastic part from the engine, like the timing belt guides, failing on me?
I heard this was a way too common issue on the N20 and similar engines, but I have not heard of any systemic issue like that on the B48?
Everything is plastic in the engine bay, so could be just about anything else.

Has any of you come across something like this? Do you think I am overly worried?
What do you recommend?

Thanks friends,
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I have a 2017 B48, and have not experienced this issue personally. Worth being concerned, however. You might consider showing us some pictures, if possible.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0