F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > DTM Round 8: Lausitzring (9/14/2014)
Studio RSR

09-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

DTM Round 8: Lausitzring (9/14/2014)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
DTM returns to the Lausitzring also known as the EuroSpeedway Lausitz! The track is located in Brandenburg....

BMW just had some successful testing at this track in anticipation of the upcoming season stop. Read about it here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029096

The weekend will not only include DTM race but also IDM Superbike, Porsche Carrera Cup, the ATS Formula 3 Cup and the FIA Lotus Ladies Cup.

Broadcast: http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/schedule/cbssn
and, as always, Youtube live streams ...

Lausitzring Track Data
Length: 3.478 km
Number of bends: 12
Race distance: 181 km
Average speed: 161 km/h
Top Speed: 245 km/h
Percentage at full throttle: 55%

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-11-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DTM season enters the finishing straight.

The 2014 season enters the finishing straight with the eighth round of the year at the Lausitzring on 14th September. The race at the 3.478-kilometre circuit could actually determine the winner of this year’s Drivers’ Championship.

After claiming his fourth win of the season at the latest race at the Nürburgring, Marco Wittmann of BMW Team RMG now has 120 points to his name – 64 more than Audi drivers Mattias Ekström and Edoardo Mortara.

Like Wittmann in the Drivers’ Championship, BMW Team RMG also leads the team competition with three races remaining this season. Team Principal Stefan Reinhold’s outfit tops the standings with 159 points after the home win in the Eifel Mountains. BMW is also sitting pretty at the top of the Manufacturers’ Championship with 302 points.

Last season’s race at the Lausitzring ended in disappointment for BMW Motorsport. BMW Team Schnitzer driver Bruno Spengler was the only BMW driver to finish in the top ten, coming home seventh. In 2012, the Canadian made history at the Lausitzring: BMW made its first appearance on the top step of the DTM podium after only the second race of its comeback season. Spengler started from pole position and, after 52 laps of racing, crossed the finish line first at the wheel of the BMW Bank M3 DTM. This success laid the foundations for Spengler’s title win at the season finale in Hockenheim. It was also BMW’s 50th victory in the DTM. Augusto Farfus finished third to complete a successful weekend for BMW.

The Lausitzring hosts the DTM for the 16th time this season. With ten different layouts, the circuit 130 kilometres south of Berlin is, along with the “Moscow Raceway”, the track with the most variants on this year’s calendar. The DTM will race on the 3.478-kilometre layout, which features twelve corners. The circuit has been a permanent fixture on the calendar since 2000. The Lausitzring is driven in an anti-clockwise direction, with the BMW drivers tackling 52 laps before they see the chequered flag.

This season, for the first time, the International German Motorcycle Championship (SUPERBIKE*IDM) lines up on the same bill as the DTM at the Lausitzring. The starting field will feature many BMW riders on BMW S 1000 RR and BMW HP4 bikes, including reigning champion Markus Reiterberger

(Credit: Bmw-motorsport.com)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Returning to successful soil: In 2012, Bruno Spengler and BMW Motorsport celebrated its 50th win in DTM history and the first one after the comeback at the Lausitzring. Will it be a weekend to remember again this time?

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-10-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bruno Spengler: “I celebrated an historic victory here last year – it was BMW’s 50th win in the DTM, and the first in its comeback season after 20 years away. That means returning to the Lausitzring is something very special for me. The track itself has relatively little grip. At the beginning of the weekend in particular, the tarmac is still very dirty and there’s not much rubber on the track. That makes the Lausitzring pretty slippery.”

Marco Wittmann: “I am really looking forward to the race, as this season has gone very well for me so far. The Lausitzring is a really nice track and I have already driven there in Formula 3 and Formula BMW. The first part of the track has a lot of left and right-handers and you need to set the car up well for the corners. After that you have hard braking points and a very fast right-hand corner. This all makes the layout rather unique, so you need to have a good set-up for everything to find the right compromise. Again it will be a tough challenge in free practice to find a good set-up.”
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Thanks for posting this AHEAD of the weekend. Commonly these come up as spoilers after the weekend.

CBS sports for the win in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
jdhiman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M-Sport, BSM

Anybody know how to access the free YouTube stream in the US? Every time I try, it says not available in my region.

Seems to be only available to Europe/Canada and not the US.....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The best bet for USA is CBS Sports

Here's some highlights of Lausitzring over the years

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-11-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for posting this AHEAD of the weekend. Commonly these come up as spoilers after the weekend.

CBS sports for the win in the US.
No prob.
I've been putting these up all season about a week or so out from race day. Not just with DTM but other series too... Pop in to the motorsports area more frequently
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not so great qualifying...Wittmann placed 7th:

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-13-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMW Power on two and four wheels.

Ahead of the eighth round of the 2014 DTM season, BMW Team Schnitzer driver Martin Tomczyk swapped his BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM for a BMW S 1000 RR, which he took out for a few flying laps.

Together with reigning SUPERBIKE*IDM champion Markus Reiterberger (Van Zon-Remeha-BMW), he headed out onto the handling circuit – one of the many variants of the Lausitzring. Fans in the Lausitz region of Germany are in for a real treat this coming race weekend: for the first time for 25 years, racing cars and motorcycles will share the same bill. As well as the DTM, the Lausitzring will also host the SUPERBIKE*IDM on Sunday (14th September).
BMW has enjoyed success in both automobile racing and motorcycle racing for many years.

The Lausitzring is the venue for a “family reunion” between the BMW DTM drivers and their fellow BMW racers from the SUPERBIKE*IDM. Before the start of the race weekend, Tomczyk and Reiterberger opened the throttle on two and four wheels. The pair first took to the track on BMW S 1000 RRs – Reiterberger on his race bike, which generates over 200 hp, and Tomczyk on the 193-hp production version of the super sports bike from BMW Motorrad. They then switched to four wheels: Tomczyk took Reiterberger out for a spin in the BMW M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car. The BMW Team Schnitzer driver then took his motorcycle counterpart for a tour of the pit lane, during which he gave Reiterberger an insight into some of the details of the BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM.

“It was great fun, although it did take me a little while at first to fully trust the technology on the bike and push myself to the limit,” said Tomczyk. “The bike I rode is a thoroughbred superbike. These motorcycles are equipped with traction control and ABS, but they also have two wheels less than I am used to. I was then able to really put my foot down in the BMW M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car. Markus was a great passenger –motorbike riders are always on the limit, so he enjoyed that. It was also very interesting to see how he takes the Lausitzring on a racing bike. You notice the bumps a lot more on a bike – you feel every impact. That makes it harder to brake into and accelerate out of the corners in such an extreme lean position. We certainly have the better of it in that situation on four wheels.”

Reiterberger said: “Martin did very well on the bike. He was on the production motorcycle, on production tyres, while I was riding the racing version with wet-weather tyres, but he did a very good job of keeping up with me. The ride in the BMW M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car was great fun. You can drift particularly well when it is raining in a car like that. Unfortunately that is not possible in these conditions with a bike, otherwise you would soon find yourself on your nose. And Martin really threw the car round the corners – that was excellent. The pit tour afterwards was fascinating. It was impressive to see the technology behind the BMW M4 DTM at first hand.”
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I love this photo

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMW Motorsport and Wittmann poised to pounce.
Seventh place in the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM meant that Marco Wittmann was once again the most successful BMW Motorsport driver in DTM qualifying at the Lausitzring.

The BMW Team RMG driver clocked his fastest time of 1:18.143 minutes in the deciding third qualifying session. Pole position went to Pascal Wehrlein (Mercedes).
Timo Glock (DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM) missed out on Q3 by a few thousandths of a second and will start Sunday’s race from ninth on the grid. The remaining BMW drivers had to settle for starting positions outside the top ten. Augusto Farfus (Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM) was 15th fastest, followed by Maxime Martin (SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM), Bruno Spengler (BMW Bank M4 DTM), António Félix da Costa (Red Bull BMW M4 DTM) and Martin Tomczyk (BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM) in 16th, 17th, 19th and 21st. Joey Hand (Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M4 DTM) got stuck in a gravel trap after a mistake, causing Q1 to be suspended. He starts from the back of the field in 23rd.
The heavy fog, which meant it was impossible to fly the rescue helicopter for several hours, meant the DTM drivers had only 15 minutes of practice time in the afternoon, after which they went straight into qualifying. The eighth race of the year gets underway at 13:30 on Sunday.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“The weather conditions made that a very difficult qualifying. After a short free practice, we were immediately confronted with qualifying. Unfortunately only one of our cars made it through to the third part of qualifying. That does not reflect what we are really capable of. You can depend on Marco Wittmann. He has every chance tomorrow from seventh on the grid. The weather could be the great unknown again on Sunday, which means a lot can happen in the race. Timing was key today – and it goes without saying that additional weight was noticeable. Congratulations to Pascal Wehrlein and Mercedes on pole position. A huge compliment goes to the fans: they stuck it out, although we were only able to offer then a 15-minute practice before qualifying. If tomorrow we show the pace we did in free practice today, then a lot is still possible in the race.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 23, BMW Team RMG, 7th):
“Today was a lottery to see who had the best set-up from the word go. Nobody had time to fine-tune their set-up in the short practice, which is why everyone pretty much started from scratch in qualifying. We were not particularly well positioned. They were difficult conditions. I made it through to Q3, and that was important. Tomorrow I will look to get a good start and drive a good race. Then we will see where we end up at the finish.”

Timo Glock (car number 17, BMW Team MTEK, 9th):
“We would easily have made the 46 thousandths of a second we missed out by. Unfortunately I was on a quick lap when Vitaly Petrov spun. At that point I was far faster than I had been, but had to abort the lap. We went for an aggressive tyre pressure in order to get the time on the first lap. That would have worked too, but unfortunately I had to stop my flying lap. That was just unlucky today.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 3, BMW Team RBM, 15th):
“Qualifying was a lottery. As soon as the track dried out a little we struggled. When we tested here three weeks ago we only drove in the wet. That did not help us that much today. However, it was the same for everyone.”

Maxime Martin (car number 24, BMW Team RMG, 16th):
“It was a tough day. We had a few problems with the car. The result is not what we had hoped for, but it is not so easy with the performance weight. We will now turn our attention completely to tomorrow’s race.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 9, BMW Team Schnitzer, 17th):
“Unfortunately we did not go into qualifying with a good basis. The weather conditions meant we did not have the usual two hours of practice to prepare for the sessions. The 15 minutes were too few to adapt to the difficult conditions on the track. In my case, the balance of the car was not good. I had to battle just to get any half-decent lap time. I am obviously disappointed. It will be difficult to finish in the points from 17th on the grid. I am hoping for crazy conditions.”

António Félix da Costa (car number 18, BMW Team MTEK, 19th):
“Today was anything but easy. This is the first time I have driven here. We did test at the Lausitzring, but it is always more difficult when the conditions are as unsettled as they were today. To be honest, I did not feel particularly comfortable with the balance of the car. I did not have the feeling that the car and I were working as one. Despite this, I am looking forward to the race and will try to have some fun tomorrow.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 10, BMW Team Schnitzer, 21st):
“My problems began in free practice, when a technical problem prevented me from driving. It is obviously not ideal to then have to go straight into qualifying without a free practice. Because of this, we start from a difficult position tomorrow.”

Joey Hand (car number, BMW Team RBM, 23rd):
“I just had understeer and came off the track. I then slipped on the wet grass and ended up stuck in the gravel. That was that. It was my mistake – I just pushed too hard on the first lap. It definitely had nothing to do with the short free practice. I have driven an entire 24-hour race after just one practice lap in the past.”
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-13-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Stay on the track, Joey

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-13-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Last 2

The race is tomorrow folks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Spoiler below.... don't proceed until you've watched the race.

Proceed at your own risk
last warning

1. WEH - yeah a Mercedes not at the back of the pack lol
2. VIE
3. TSC –

WIT: 6
FAR: 7
TOM: 8
HAN: 11
MAR: 14
SPE: 15
GLO: DNF
DAC: DNF.

but this is GREAT:

BMW Motorsport said this;
"Marco Wittmann is the 2014 DTM Champion after finishing sixth at the Lausitzring. To Wittmann Racing - YEAAAAHHHHH!"
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Marco Wittmann is the 2014 DTM champion.
Marco Wittmann won the Drivers’ Championship in what is probably the most fiercely-contested touring car series in the world with two races of the 2014 DTM season remaining.

The success marks the high point of the young German’s rapid rise to glory in the DTM since making his debut in 2013. He has now established an unassailable advantage at the top of the overall standings ahead of the final two races in Zandvoort and at the Hockenheimring.
One milestone en route to the title was his maiden triumph in his eleventh DTM race: he crossed the finish line first at the opening race of the season in Hockenheim to claim the first victory for the new BMW M4 DTM and his BMW Team RMG, as well as BMW’s 60th success in the DTM.

At the age of 24 years and 294 days, Wittmann becomes the youngest DTM champion ever in BMW colours, following in the footsteps of Volker Strycek (1984), Eric van de Poele (1987), Roberto Ravaglia (1989) and Bruno Spengler (2012). He is also the third-youngest driver ever to win the DTM. This is the first time in the history of the new era of the DTM, since 2000, that a driver has been crowned champion in only his second year in the series.

Congrats, Marco. Congrats, BMW.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-14-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Marco Wittmann: DTM champion at record speed

He is 24 years young, but is hardened like an old hand: Marco Wittmann is the 2014 DTM champion. In the eighth season round at the Lausitzring, the BMW driver crossed the finish line in sixth place and is thus beyond reach for his rivals in the battle for the title. “This is sensational, simply unbelievable. It was a difficult race, I had to stay out of all the battles. I still have to deal with all these emotions,” the delighted German said after the biggest success of his career in motorsport to date.

An ambitious and competitive person, a sporting high-flyer or the down-to-earth boy next door: characterising the newly-crowned DTM champion is by no means easy. Anyone who knows Marco Wittmann also knows that the racing driver from Fürth does everything what it takes to be successful at the race track, but is keeping his feet firmly on the ground. The 24-year-old is taking his power from his family, the quiet retreat from his hectic life as a DTM star.

The way to the title
In the 2014 season, Wittmann drove from one success to another and continuously extended his lead in the drivers’ standings. When people asked him about the possible title win, his answer always was: “It is still too early to talk about this. I am working from one race to another.” This approach turned out to be the right one and also underlined the upcoming DTM star’s strong nerves. Jens Marquardt is one of Marco Wittmann’s biggest fans. “Throughout the season, Marco has kept his calm and always gave 100 percent,” the BMW motorsport director said proudly.

Marco Wittmann laid the foundation for his title win during the Hockenheim season opener, where he scored his maiden DTM race win with an advantage of 13 seconds. At Budapest, Spielberg and at the Nürburgring, he also stood on the top step of the podium. Only seldom before, a young race driver dominated proceedings in the DTM in a way like Marco Wittmann did this year. The series’ stalwarts also hailed him for his brilliant performance throughout the 2014 season. “Marco perhaps may be a little bit shy, but he knows very well when to push which pedal on his BMW,” the 2013 DTM champion Mike Rockenfeller commented. Mercedes-Benz driver Gary Paffett added: “He really is a good sport. His performance throughout the season has been impressive.”

The champion’s early days
Everybody starts at a low level, and that can particularly be said about Marco Wittmann. In his first years racing go-karts, the young talent usually was the smallest driver in the field. His father Herbert has fond memories of the early days. “Our Marco was so small that he wasn’t even able to reach the pedals with his feet. To make sure that he could still drive, we put wooden blocks under his feet”, he recalls. “Initially, people laughed about him, but soon enough, he regularly gave the older and above all taller opponents a hard time.” Through the ranks of Formula BMW and the Formula 3 Euro Series, Wittmann finally made it into the DTM in 2012, albeit only as BMW’s official test driver initially. In 2013, Wittmann had his debut season racing for the brand from Munich in the most popular international touring car series.

Marco Wittmann, the family man
Father Herbert Wittmann, mother Angelika and brother Nico are present at every DTM round. The parents of the new DTM champion spend the nights in their camper in the paddock and thus are always in the immediate proximity of their son. “For me, a race weekend always involves plenty of stress,” Marco Wittmann explains. “Therefore, I don’t have a lot of time left for my family. Nevertheless, knowing that they are there is a very nice feeling.” When his tight schedule allows, the trained bodywork mechanic helps out in his parents’ workshop. Repairing bodywork damage, working with cars or taking care of the organisation in the family business are the contrast to the motorsport world, in which the BMW driver is taking centre stage.
Appreciate 0