F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M Gets New CEO - Ex-Audi Quattro Head Franciscus van Meel
Extreme Powerhouse

09-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #111
4er_Meister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
Here comes AWD Ms!
And 80/20 weight distribution.
Lololol
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #112
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328i (LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP
Do one thing, and do it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
If you have the option of both, neither will be spectacular.
Chase two rabbits at once and you will catch neither
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #113
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

JB: "Where's my Bentley ?"
Q: "Oh, it's had its day, I'm afraid."
JB: "But it's never let me down ?!"
Q: "M's orders, 007. You'll be using this Aston Martin DB5 with modifications. Now, pay attention, please."

FvM: "Where's my Audi ?"
BMW: "Oh, it's had its day, I'm afraid."
FvM: "But it's never let me down ?!"
BMW: "///M's orders, Mister Quattro. You'll be using this ///M2 CSL with modifications. Now, pay attention, please."

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...-Q-Branch.html
      10-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #114
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
JB: "Where's my Bentley ?"
Q: "Oh, it's had its day, I'm afraid."
JB: "But it's never let me down ?!"
Q: "M's orders, 007. You'll be using this Aston Martin DB5 with modifications. Now, pay attention, please."

FvM: "Where's my Audi ?"
BMW: "Oh, it's had its day, I'm afraid."
FvM: "But it's never let me down ?!"
BMW: "///M's orders, Mister Quattro. You'll be using this ///M2 CSL with modifications. Now, pay attention, please."

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...-Q-Branch.html

M2 CSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #115
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

OMW - Epic understeering nose heavy wooly steering BMW M-Quattro's...

Better buy the M3 NOW!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #116
Ascastlat
Rep
Drives: E90

Wow!
Only time will tell I guess, but honestly, it might not be a bad idea.
At the end of the day, it is all about profits, and stealing secrets from your competitors..
      10-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #117
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Let's not judge. BMW will have it's first production 'Fail wheel drive' coming out soon with the next gen 1 series.
Correct. And shame on them

Getting an M boss from the creaters of understeering pieces of junk is a very bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #118
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Good executives do not do that. Is the bottom line a large factor? Obviously but it isn't the only one. GM learned that lesson the hard way in the 80's and 90's.
Let's hope we're not watching history repeat itself. I view Norbert Reithofer as a german Rick Wagoner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #119
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Getting an M boss from the creaters of understeering pieces of junk is a very bad thing.
We already have FWD BMWs and we have had the MINI for over a decade which is FWD and highly praised.

This appointment is actually very advantageous for not only BMW M. but BMW also. As he is one of the key principals involved with the original R8 Project and has expert knowledge in the application of sustainable assistance with performance cars. BMWs are not going to evolve into Audis. As many believe they will.

The GM comparisons with BMW are old and have become tedious to compare with because BMW is not run as GM was and neither is most other premium manufacturers and never will they be.
GM proved the mighty can still fall.
      10-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #120
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:

I'm glad BMW isn't being as narrow minded as some on this forum.

If you're complaining about understeer on a modern Audi, either you haven't driven one or you're the kind of driver who likes to dive bomb corners in which case the torque vectoring, rwd-biased torque split, and sport differential won't be able to rotate the car. The slow-in/fast-out style of driving however works wonders with Audi quattro. When you hit the throttle mid-corner, the car rotates beautifully and slingshots you out of the corner. It's incredibly fun.

Check out what Top Gear had to say about the upcoming RS3:

"The thing was four-wheel-drifting everywhere. No lie. On every corner exit Frank would simply nail the throttle and the back would squirm free. The new RS3's willingness to kick its rear tyres out at every available opportunity was hugely admirable"
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...ear-2014-10-15

Might I also remind folks that Audi makes a certain car called the R8 that has an 85% rear biased-torque split and will oversteer with ease.

Audi has made huge strides in creating cars that have balanced handling characteristics despite the substantial weight and front-biased weight split. Imagine what a boss from Audi can do when starting with a much more balanced BMW chassis.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #121
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post

If you're complaining about understeer on a modern Audi, either you haven't driven one or you're the kind of driver who likes to dive bomb corners in which case the torque vectoring, rwd-biased torque split, and sport differential won't be able to rotate the car. The slow-in/fast-out style of driving however works wonders with Audi quattro. When you hit the throttle mid-corner, the car rotates beautifully and slingshots you out of the corner. It's incredibly fun.

"The thing was four-wheel-drifting everywhere. No lie. On every corner exit Frank would simply nail the throttle and the back would squirm free. The new RS3's willingness to kick its rear tyres out at every available opportunity was hugely admirable"

Might I also remind folks that Audi makes a certain car called the R8 that has an 85% rear biased-torque split and will oversteer with ease.

Audi has made huge strides in creating cars that have balanced handling characteristics despite the substantial weight and front-biased weight split. Imagine what a boss from Audi can do when starting with a much more balanced BMW chassis.
This is a complete tangent, but are we supposed to get the RS3 in the US? I know we get the S3, but I didn't think we were getting the RS3. I'd love to hear that we are!
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #122
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
This is a complete tangent, but are we supposed to get the RS3 in the US? I know we get the S3, but I didn't think we were getting the RS3. I'd love to hear that we are!

Nobody but Audi knows at this juncture. And probably they don't even know yet. I'd say with the M2 coming out, it's likely Audi might release the RS3 here especially if M2 is manual only. It would be great to get the next-gen RS3/RS4/RS5/RS6/RS7.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #123
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Can't be worse than the last guy. All he gave us is "factory aftermarket" crap and turbos. This Audi guy from what I've read wanted the R8 to be a etron hybrid like the i8 and in general has a big hard-on for electric cars. Hopefully all this carbon fiber and i tech filters down and we get a really sweet car next gen.

Last edited by modkrazy; 10-20-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #124
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Next gen Z4m is gonna be bad ass I think. Joint venture on the ft1 platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #125
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We already have FWD BMWs and we have had the MINI for over a decade which is FWD and highly praised.

This appointment is actually very advantageous for not only BMW M. but BMW also. As he is one of the key principals involved with the original R8 Project and has expert knowledge in the application of sustainable assistance with performance cars. BMWs are not going to evolve into Audis. As many believe they will.

The GM comparisons with BMW are old and have become tedious to compare with because BMW is not run as GM was and neither is most other premium manufacturers and never will they be.
GM proved the mighty can still fall.
I know you now have FWD BMWs. Again, what a fail. BMW has spent the last 80 (?) years talking about the advantages of RWD, which are many.

I am not impressed with the R8 project. How hard can it be to take the Gallardo chassis, engine, gearbox into a different shell? Hardly ground breaking.

His push regarding the etron would make him a good candidate for the 'i' division. M? Not so much

I have no idea why you mention GM, as I have not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #126
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post

Audis continue to understeer at the limit, even RS versions. I'm glad they got a good review for the RS3, but every time they take out a RS eventually you'll see a more in depth review that shows what is evident: FWD based platforms with bad weight distribution will end up understeering.

Thanks for mentioning the R8. This is not an Audi development. I am well aware that in order to get proper sport car characteristics they did a 90/10 split, so the 'AWD' in that platform is basically marketing baloney
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #127
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Audis continue to understeer at the limit, even RS versions. I'm glad they got a good review for the RS3, but every time they take out a RS eventually you'll see a more in depth review that shows what is evident: FWD based platforms with bad weight distribution will end up understeering.

Thanks for mentioning the R8. This is not an Audi development. I am well aware that in order to get proper sport car characteristics they did a 90/10 split, so the 'AWD' in that platform is basically marketing baloney
[Some] Audi RS do not understeer at the limit any more than any other car in spite of its bad weight distribution, IF driven in the proper manner as I stated above. If you don't believe me, then you should believe Randy Pobst who is a professional race car driver. Here's what he said about the RS5:

"The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it's too early, but you just floor it and you're like, man, I should've gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer -- it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip."

Yes a lot of journalists complain about understeer but that's because most journalists aren't pro drivers and don't understand that dive-bombing corners is not the fastest way around a track (and neither is big dramatic drifts - as fun as they are). The Nissan GTR has FAR FAR more understeer than an Audi RS5.

If you're well aware that the R8 has 90/10 torque split then I'd hope that you're also aware that when traction is diminished that the AWD system can adjust the split to the front wheels so that traction loss is minimized without having to cut power like BMWs DSC does.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #128
- andy
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
The R8's torque split is actually 15:85 and it's variable so if conditions call for it, up to 30% of the torque can be diverted to the front wheels on the fly (and without cutting power like trinim3 pointed out). So the R8's quattro is hardly marketing baloney.
Appreciate 0