F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Report: At Least Five BMW Badged FWD Models Planned
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #89
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
BMW's 3-cylinder turbocharged engine is expected to power most of the Active Tourer models, with a more powerful 4-cylinder 235i Active Tourer model also speculated to come later.
So it turns out that even the 225i model is using the B48 four cylinder, which doesn't surprise too much since it has 20%+ more power than the Mini Cooper S which also uses the B48.

Regardless of how they are badged, be it *35i or something else, I for one am very curious to see what the upcoming higher output versions of the B48 are going to deliver. Mercedes is on the bleeding edge of four cylinder performance right now with ~350hp, but a number of others are edging toward 300hp including VAG, GM, Ford, Hyundai/Kia, and even Volvo, who is in the process of replacing both their I5 and I6 engines with a turbocharged I4 family that get's up to near 300hp.

The days of needing six cylinders to get to 300hp will soon be behind us. Add hybrid systems to the mix, and over the next decade and a half, I think we'll see six cylinder engines become exclusive to cars up near ~400hp and above. V8s will probably be relegated to >500hp duty.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #90
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
BMW's 3-cylinder turbocharged engine is expected to power most of the Active Tourer models, with a more powerful 4-cylinder 235i Active Tourer model also speculated to come later.
So it turns out that even the 225i model is using the B48 four cylinder, which doesn't surprise too much since it has 20%+ more power than the Mini Cooper S which also uses the B48.

Regardless of how they are badged, be it *35i or something else, I for one am very curious to see what the upcoming higher output versions of the B48 are going to deliver. Mercedes is on the bleeding edge of four cylinder performance right now with ~350hp, but a number of others are edging toward 300hp including VAG, GM, Ford, Hyundai/Kia, and even Volvo, who is in the process of replacing both their I5 and I6 engines with a turbocharged I4 family that get's up to near 300hp.

The days of needing six cylinders to get to 300hp will soon be behind us. Add hybrid systems to the mix, and over the next decade and a half, I think we'll see six cylinder engines become exclusive to cars up near ~400hp and above. V8s will probably be relegated to >500hp duty.
You might well be right (sadly)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #91
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Many say FWD is OK because Audi, Mercedes and Lexus also have FWD.

But the difference is that Audi has the R8, Mercedes the SLS and Lexus the LFA, and BMW has nothing.
The difference with Audi is that they have never made a rwd production car, since the VW takeover of Auto Union in the mid 1960's........so, pretty much the polar opposite of BMW which until now, has never made a production fwd car.

Lexus don't count as they are just a Toyota
      02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #92
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
If the Active Tourer's existence soils your desire to own a completely different model of BMW, maybe it's time to look at yourself and realize how much the badge is influencing you purchasing decision. Are you really less likely to buy an M3 because of the AT?
      02-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #93
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
If the Active Tourer's existence soils your desire to own a completely different model of BMW, maybe it's time to look at yourself and realize how much the badge is influencing you purchasing decision. Are you really less likely to buy an M3 because of the AT?
Not everyone is wealthy enough to buy a M3.......

For some, especially if you live in the real world outside of the USA where cars are not a cheap commodity, ///M cars have become too far out of reach, and the problem is with this BMW focus on fwd for the smaller cars in their range, there will be no affordable, compact, rwd, 4 seat car for an 'enthusiast' driver to consider buying.

I and clearly others on here think this is why the AT (and other likely abominations from BMW in the future) are the start of a worrying trend.

It seems that as far as manufacturers are concerned, and BMW in particular, you can only be a car enthusiast if you are rich or live in the USA
      02-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #94
E90csl
Instagram @alfred_425
Rep
Drives: White E90

i think their making these due to the temporary merge with toyota. Im not sure but that might be it cause this car is ugly !!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #95
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #96
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not any time soon, apparently the rwd 2GC which was on deck has been pushed back or scrapped and there doesn't appear to be a plan for another rwd based F2x sedan. So we're likely left waiting for a G series, fwd car, which appears to be at least three or four years away. Sure seems like a lot of lost sales to MB and Audi.
Interesting. I just bought a 1-series. So when my lease is over (3 years) I can choose between the new 1-series BMW G2x with FWD, a facelifted Golf GTI or the next generation Audi A3? What can next generation 1 series offer that those other cars can't? In all the reviews I've read the RWD is the only uniqe ability which justifies the hight price.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #97
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Its funny, everyone is going nuts about FWD calling it "delusion of the brand", yet noone gives a damn about them having ended production of Naturally aspirated inline 6 Cylinder engines, a part of BMW DNA that was no doubt a reason for the brands success. There will always be some unconventional models in their lineup (just look at the Isetta for example) but they never stepped away from the NA I6. Untill now. What a shame.

Imagine Coca Cola stepping away from producing the original coke and just offering diet coke only. This is what it feels like to me.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #98
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
Its funny, everyone is going nuts about FWD calling it "delusion of the brand", yet noone gives a damn about them having ended production of Naturally aspirated inline 6 Cylinder engines...
That's not true, actually. There have been many discussions lamenting the loss of the NA I6 and other NA engines over the past few years. This thread is about the FWD platform which was never expected to accommodate an I6 nor any naturally aspirated engine so you won't see that topic come up here.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #99
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

So, no more I6, no more hydraulic power steering, now FWD cars, their next step will be no more manuals I bet.
      03-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #100
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
So, no more I6, no more hydraulic power steering, now FWD cars, their next step will be no more manuals I bet.
And blue dash lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
Its funny, everyone is going nuts about FWD calling it "delusion of the brand", yet noone gives a damn about them having ended production of Naturally aspirated inline 6 Cylinder engines, a part of BMW DNA that was no doubt a reason for the brands success. There will always be some unconventional models in their lineup (just look at the Isetta for example) but they never stepped away from the NA I6. Untill now. What a shame.

Imagine Coca Cola stepping away from producing the original coke and just offering diet coke only. This is what it feels like to me.
I've probably posted 50 times about loss of the NA I6. The only BMW available in the USA with a NA I6 is the BMW 1600 KT. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #102
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboost View Post
BMW is going to take over the world
Wait, with cheap 4-cylinder FWD cars? Well, that's been done already; Google "Toyota".
Appreciate 0