F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Workout regimen. Advice please
Studio RSR

05-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Workout regimen. Advice please

I'm 5 10 140lbs. Not a lot of body fat going on(minus a tiny amount on stomach) I started an upper body work out 2 months ago and have seen some good progress. Just looking to bulk and tone up. I have defined pecks and upper abs but progress has slown down. I'm looking for most efficient workout

Currently:
All start higher 12 reps then top out for 5-8 reps then down a bit of weigjt and 8 reps

All dumbell
Flat bench 3 set
Incline x 3
Curls x 3
Tri over overhead pulls(tri show the most increase)
Decline planks x3

Takes about 30 min 2x week.

Also added some cadio. Running(which I am terrible at), cycling, and swimming.

I take eas protein shakes 17g every morn and the powder on workout days.

I just want a bigger chest. Arms and abs are ok for now. Might post pics of before and so far but my paleness hides definition
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
I just want a bigger chest.
lol. What about shoulders, back and legs? Don't be that goof ball in the gym who only does bench press and arm curls. It takes a full commitment in and out of the gym to get results, don't kid yourself.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Focus on Nutrition! The key to gains is your diet especially if you're an ectomorph. When I first started a good regimen that worked for me was a 3 day split of combining your pulling movements and pushing movements. Mon=Back/Biceps - Tues=Off - Wed=Legs - Thurs=Off - Fri=Chest/Triceps/Shoulder - Sat/Sun=Off. You can integrate cardio on your days off but if weight gain is your goal with your body type you have to be careful of inhibiting your growth. Don't over do it on the exercises or repetitions just enough to break down the fibers (don't live in the gym) and get a good workout. Remember you don't grow in the gym so Rest is a very important factor as well. Goodluck Hope this helps.....
P.S. Whey protein, Weight gainers are great but most of your caloric intake should be from whole foods.

Last edited by !LEFTCOAST!; 05-27-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
lol. What about shoulders, back and legs? Don't be that goof ball in the gym who only does bench press and arm curls. It takes a full commitment in and out of the gym to get results, don't kid yourself.
I lift at home. I have limited time and a messed up schedule so it's tough to get in what i do. I ride for legs and due some back strengthening exercises from physical therapy that keep my back and spine in check.

I actually enjoy working out when time permits.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

It takes a long time to gain Muscle mass, but for your chest try close grip barbell presses, a little wider then your shoulders, start with the incline 6 to 8 reps for 4 sets, and afterwards flat bench same grip same reps, try to lift 85% of your max 1 rep, cap that off with some dumbell flys 4 sets 10 to 12 reps.

Do the 6 to 8 reps for one month, two times a week, and 8 to 10 reps on month two, month three 10 to 12 reps, and then start over again.

Work on tricep strength, because that's where most of your bench press power comes from, deadlift will help too.

I can go on, and on, and on but I won't bore you....lol...lol....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
It takes a long time to gain Muscle mass, but for your chest try close grip barbell presses, a little wider then your shoulders, start with the incline 6 to 8 reps for 4 sets, and afterwards flat bench same grip same reps, try to lift 85% of your max 1 rep, cap that off with some dumbell flys 4 sets 10 to 12 reps.

Do the 6 to 8 reps for one month, two times a week, and 8 to 10 reps on month two, month three 10 to 12 reps, and then start over again.

Work on tricep strength, because that's where most of your bench press power comes from, deadlift will help too.

I can go on, and on, and on but I won't bore you....lol...lol....
Never really realized benching worked triceps so much. That explains a lot. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
I'm 5 10 140lbs. Not a lot of body fat going on(minus a tiny amount on stomach) I started an upper body work out 2 months ago and have seen some good progress. Just looking to bulk and tone up. I have defined pecks and upper abs but progress has slown down. I'm looking for most efficient workout

Currently:
All start higher 12 reps then top out for 5-8 reps then down a bit of weigjt and 8 reps

All dumbell
Flat bench 3 set
Incline x 3
Curls x 3
Tri over overhead pulls(tri show the most increase)
Decline planks x3

Takes about 30 min 2x week.

Also added some cadio. Running(which I am terrible at), cycling, and swimming.

I take eas protein shakes 17g every morn and the powder on workout days.

I just want a bigger chest. Arms and abs are ok for now. Might post pics of before and so far but my paleness hides definition
You can't pick and choose which body parts you want to make "bigger".

You need a well rounded routine otherwise you will look like an idiot with rounded shoulders from too much chest and not enough back and rear delt movements. If you want to hit the gym three times per week do three full body workouts. Since you sound like you don't know much about lifting and building the strongest version of yourself, I would usually recommend a routine like the following starting out with simply 3 sets of 10 reps for each:

1)
Chest: incline bench
back: seated row
shoulder: lateral raises
legs: hack squat
tri: dips
bi: dumbbell curls
abs/cardio

2)
Chest: flat bench
back: lat pull down
shoulder: high rows
legs: leg press
tri: skull crushers
bi: preacher curls
abs/cardio

3)
Chest: flat bench flies
back: bent over rows
shoulder: DB overhead press
legs: hamstring curls
tri: rope pushdowns
bi: hammer curls
abs/cardio

Hope this helps.

By the way, the order in which I chose the exercises was done on purpose because many exercises overlap. The way I chose will allow for resting of those muscles while still stimulating a certain muscle group.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

If you have very little body fat, which it sounds like you do. The cardio you are doing is being counter productive for building muscle. Its ok to do some cardio, but keep it to a minimum or its going to keep your progress at a stand still.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
You can't pick and choose which body parts you want to make "bigger".

You need a well rounded routine otherwise you will look like an idiot with rounded shoulders from too much chest and not enough back and rear delt movements.
I disagree on these points. Perhaps his chest is lagging compared to the rest of his body? While I agree that there is no such thing as spot treatment for losing fat (crunches will not get you a 6-pack), there's nothing wrong with working certain muscle groups harder than others.

My current workout routine does not include lifting my legs heavy. However, I was a former powerlifter so my lower body is very unproportional to my upper body. As a result, a 5-day split for me includes only 1 day of very light leg lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
If you have very little body fat, which it sounds like you do. The cardio you are doing is being counter productive for building muscle. Its ok to do some cardio, but keep it to a minimum or its going to keep your progress at a stand still.
Exactly. Cardio ultimately will increase your overall level of health and metabolism. In those regards it's beneficial. However, with the goal you mentioned in mind, cardio will arguably hinder your progress with gaining muscle mass. Have you ever seen a professional marathon runner who weighed more than about 140 lbs?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
I disagree on these points. Perhaps his chest is lagging compared to the rest of his body? While I agree that there is no such thing as spot treatment for losing fat (crunches will not get you a 6-pack), there's nothing wrong with working certain muscle groups harder than others.
The guy is 140 and 5 foot 10. Clearly doesn't lift very much. Granted he may be a runner but that still validates my point that he clearly does not have much of a bodybuilding background. I agree that there is no problem with "emphasizing" a certain body part but you cannot cut it out completely. Your back and shoulders are two massive muscle groups. No way coming from a powerlifting experience can you think that dropping them out is sufficient. Doing so will almost 100% lead to problems.

If you want to emphasize chest and you have the time for a 4 day split. I would recommend the following:

1) Mon: Chest/back: flat/incline/flies and superset at least two of those with some form of pullups (wide grip, military grip, chin up etc...)

2) Tues: Legs: do a crossfit type of leg workout. I have knee and sciatica issues so I have moved from squatting and deadlifting to a lightweight cardiovascular leg workout

3) Wed: Arms: Arm days are retarded but I see that it is a priority for you. Two exercises to get big bis/tris are straight bar curls and weighted dips

4) thurs: rest or other activity

5) Fri: Chest/Shoulders: Some of my best gains are when I do a two day a week chest routine. One day is heavy weight with less reps (mon) and the other day is lighter weight with explosive reps. I recommend doing a shoulder workout that does not focus on the front delt (used when benching) and rather do front raises, high rows, rear delt rows (google it if you don't know what i'm talking about) and lateral raises. At the end of the workout do different variations upon flat or incline bench (negatives, speed reps, drop sets etc...)

6 and 7) rest and or misc activity days.

Hope this helps man.

Last edited by pgviper; 05-29-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
The guy is 140 and 5 foot 10. Clearly doesn't lift very much. Granted he may be a runner but that still validates my point that he clearly does not have much of a bodybuilding background. I agree that there is no problem with "emphasizing" a certain body part but you cannot cut it out completely. Your back and shoulders are two massive muscle groups. No way coming from a powerlifting experience can you think that dropping them out is sufficient. Doing so will almost 100% lead to problems.
I said that there is nothign wrong with working out certain muscle groups harder than others not eliminating muscle groups entirely.

Not everyone wants to be 5'10" 200+ pounds of solid muscle. As someone who is 5'10" 200 pounds it gets very old trying to find an off-the-rack 46r suit that fits my thighs (27-28") and my waist (34"). The older I get, the more I concern myself with increasing my overall health rather than muscle mass.

Again, your advice wasn't incorrect, but it's not always the best approach for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I said that there is nothign wrong with working out certain muscle groups harder than others not eliminating muscle groups entirely.

Not everyone wants to be 5'10" 200+ pounds of solid muscle. As someone who is 5'10" 200 pounds it gets very old trying to find an off-the-rack 46r suit that fits my thighs (27-28") and my waist (34"). The older I get, the more I concern myself with increasing my overall health rather than muscle mass.

Again, your advice wasn't incorrect, but it's not always the best approach for everyone.
I believe that rather than the exercises, it is the intensity, rep, set and weight which represents someonese goals while they are in the gym. The basic exercises are all important and I believe that it would be unwise to skip any of them. However, I mentioned in my first post that starting out with the basic 3 sets of 10 is a good base line for anyone getting their feet wet in the gym. From there, you can then create a routine that is more focused upon your individual goals.

From the guy who steps in the gym for the first time to the intense athlete who may have a career focused upon weight lifting, I do not believe that it is wise for anyone to completely neglect a certain bodypart. Rather manipulate the way you work it.

I think we can both agree we have similar views but different ways of wording them!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

My chest and arms are lacking compared to the rest of the body. And if I start getting unballanved(prob not going to happen) I will address that soon.

Just looking to maximize my little time available and get a little toned.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
My chest and arms are lacking compared to the rest of the body. And if I start getting unballanved(prob not going to happen) I will address that soon.

Just looking to maximize my little time available and get a little toned.
If you want your chest and arms to swell follow the routine I suggested, and remember when your last set becomes easy add weight
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
If you want your chest and arms to swell follow the routine I suggested, and remember when your last set becomes easy add weight
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

I used to do the typical split (back/bi's, chest/tri's, legs/shoulders), but switched to crossfit a while back. I'm not here to hype crossfit, but I have had great results. Instead, why not look to incorporate olympic lifts into your routine? Snatches and cleans&jerks. Barbell work such as shoulder press, push press, split jerks, front squats, dead lifts, etc. You will see huge gains quickly. There is a reason they say "you want to bench more, start squatting." Also don't underestimate bodyweight movements such as dips, pull ups, push-ups, air squats. Easy to incorporate at the end of a workout to cash out.

Just another opinion, but do what is best for you. Give something new a shot and you may be surprised. Cleans, snatches and deadlifts are my favorite, while I know my weakness is overhead work.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Look into stronglifts 5x5, simple and effective for someone starting out.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

So if you want to grow you need more protein than one 17g shake.
What's the rest of your diet look like? The exercise advise given is good but it won't do much without the proper nutrition to support it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
So if you want to grow you need more protein than one 17g shake.
What's the rest of your diet look like? The exercise advise given is good but it won't do much without the proper nutrition to support it.
garbage..but getting much better. bad work/hobby schedule so I am frequently on the run. I probably get around 30-40g protein on non workout days. on workout days I have a shake that has 27g plus milk 9-11g on top of the norm. I have been adding alot of chicken breast and cutting down on fastfood.

just quit caffeine so soda is way cut back.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
garbage..but getting much better. bad work/hobby schedule so I am frequently on the run. I probably get around 30-40g protein on non workout days. on workout days I have a shake that has 27g plus milk 9-11g on top of the norm. I have been adding alot of chicken breast and cutting down on fastfood.

just quit caffeine so soda is way cut back.
Here is what I’m taking from your responses so far:
You don’t have time to work out, your diet is very poor, yet you want to build lean mass and see results.

You’re pissing in the wind with this thought process man. Some people dedicate their entire lives to fitness. They didn’t see results making excuses, eating junk food, and being lazy.

Saying you have limited time and a messed up schedule is not an excuse. Devoting 45-60 minutes three times a week is not hard to do. Many of us work 50+ hour weeks, have other obligations, and a social life, yet we still find time to get in the gym. The fact that you’re posting in this thread tells me that you have time to be working out.

You need to learn to manage your time better. If you haven’t already, set a schedule for yourself. It may suck waking up an hour earlier for work or going to the gym in work clothes, but if you want to see results, you have to put in the effort.

Your diet is another point that cannot be excused. Again, many of us live lives that make it tough to maintain a good diet. You have to put forth the effort if you want to see the results.

-Get a gym membership to a place that’s open 24-hours. Pretty much every decent sized city in the U.S. will have several to choose from. You can come and go as much as you want.
-Set a schedule for your workouts. Your schedule may be messed up, but if you know it before hand, you can easily plan ahead. Even if you don’t you can still find time to make it to the gym.
-Learn to pack your lunch or keep healthy snacks in your desk/car. I keep packets of Salmon in my desk drawer for whenever I forget to pack my lunch and need a healthy snack. There are plenty of easy and cheap things to eat that don’t need to be refrigerated that you can keep with you.
-Improve your diet. You can work out 20 hours a week, but if you have a poor diet, your workouts will not only suffer, but you’re not going to see the results you want. You can own a 7-second drag car, but if you put cheap gas in it, it’s not going to run (or at least not very well).
-Don't consume yourself with supplements. Don't go to GNC and drop the credit card on every weight-gainer in the store. Supplements are meant to fill in the gaps for a poor diet. You can get everything you need from normal foods that are much cheaper than supplements, and are still easy to prepare.

None of this is meant to be mean. It’s meant to be helpful and critical advice. You have to put the time and effort into this if you want to see results. If it were easier, we’d all be walking around at 200 pounds with 8% body fat.

It’s only going to get tougher the older you get. Some people work 50+ hour jobs and have kids to take care of after (you may have some yourself). That’s also not to mention the fact that the older you get, the harder it becomes to build lean mass as your testosterone levels naturally begin to lower (usually at some point in your 30s).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
PHAT: Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training by Dr Layne Norton one of my idols, smart man and has proven data and facts to back up his claims. He has a PHD in Protein metabolism.

I like to follow his split

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html

You get the best of all worlds, Power lifting, volume and hypertrophy in the one week. Best way to describe this work out is like being a UFC fighter you're doing every vs just being a boxer. I hope that analogy fits well.

But I'm also a big fan of LEGS/PUSH/PULL google that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Here is what I’m taking from your responses so far:
You don’t have time to work out, your diet is very poor, yet you want to build lean mass and see results.

You’re pissing in the wind with this thought process man. Some people dedicate their entire lives to fitness. They didn’t see results making excuses, eating junk food, and being lazy.

Saying you have limited time and a messed up schedule is not an excuse. Devoting 45-60 minutes three times a week is not hard to do. Many of us work 50+ hour weeks, have other obligations, and a social life, yet we still find time to get in the gym. The fact that you’re posting in this thread tells me that you have time to be working out.

You need to learn to manage your time better. If you haven’t already, set a schedule for yourself. It may suck waking up an hour earlier for work or going to the gym in work clothes, but if you want to see results, you have to put in the effort.

Your diet is another point that cannot be excused. Again, many of us live lives that make it tough to maintain a good diet. You have to put forth the effort if you want to see the results.

-Get a gym membership to a place that’s open 24-hours. Pretty much every decent sized city in the U.S. will have several to choose from. You can come and go as much as you want.
-Set a schedule for your workouts. Your schedule may be messed up, but if you know it before hand, you can easily plan ahead. Even if you don’t you can still find time to make it to the gym.
-Learn to pack your lunch or keep healthy snacks in your desk/car. I keep packets of Salmon in my desk drawer for whenever I forget to pack my lunch and need a healthy snack. There are plenty of easy and cheap things to eat that don’t need to be refrigerated that you can keep with you.
-Improve your diet. You can work out 20 hours a week, but if you have a poor diet, your workouts will not only suffer, but you’re not going to see the results you want. You can own a 7-second drag car, but if you put cheap gas in it, it’s not going to run (or at least not very well).
-Don't consume yourself with supplements. Don't go to GNC and drop the credit card on every weight-gainer in the store. Supplements are meant to fill in the gaps for a poor diet. You can get everything you need from normal foods that are much cheaper than supplements, and are still easy to prepare.

None of this is meant to be mean. It’s meant to be helpful and critical advice. You have to put the time and effort into this if you want to see results. If it were easier, we’d all be walking around at 200 pounds with 8% body fat.

It’s only going to get tougher the older you get. Some people work 50+ hour jobs and have kids to take care of after (you may have some yourself). That’s also not to mention the fact that the older you get, the harder it becomes to build lean mass as your testosterone levels naturally begin to lower (usually at some point in your 30s).
I second that 100%.

Goals are achieved by hard work and dedication, you want to get big or whatever you have to lift that weight and eat that food. No one is going to do that for you.

If you don't prepare, you're preparing yourself to fail. Simple as that tbh.
Appreciate 0