F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Diet for gaining weight?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Diet for gaining weight?

Hey guys,

I'm 20 and really super lean and thin. My BMI is within what's considered healthy for my age but barely so and my physician tells me my low weight isn't causing health problems or anything...but I really want to gain at least 20-25 pounds or so in the near future.

So far I've read that:
-resistive weight training is the way to go
-aerobics will make me lose more weight, not good
-eating a shitload of fatty food is not the way to gain weight
-vitamins, Omega-3 and protein powder are helpful
-5 or 6 small meals a day will help as opposed to 2 or 3

I pretty much don't work out at all, I'm always either busy with school or work or just too tired. My diet really really sucks though, lots of processed food so I'm looking to improve that.

So, any thoughts? I'm willing to go to a nutritionist if I can't make it happen on my own...

Thanks

Last edited by Dan in PA; 01-23-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I would say healthy weight gain could be done by gaining muscle so you might want to try bulking up by hitting the gym and drinking protein to complement your workouts...also wasn't eating 5 small meals a day a method to losing weight? because your metabolism is constantly up throughout the day as opposed to only 3 meals a day...?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

from the sounds of it, you're metabolism is thru the roof. you could try weight gainers and working out, but you're only 20 so your body will probably burn everything off. you might have to go for a good 8 meals and maybe something upwards of 6 grams of protein per pound of body weight, but be careful with all that protein and take milk thistle. it's easy to manipulate your body, but it's something unique, so be careful with just doing what everyone else says or does, a visit to a nutritionist will help pinpoint your exact diet.
      01-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Just wait 20 years, I'm sure you'll have gained all the weight you wanted, and more!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't focus on gaining weight per se. Your doctor has said your weight is fine for your body. If you're interested in improving health, join a gym or buy your own weight set and begin a serious strength training program. Increasing muscle mass will increase your weight (all else being equal). Don't necessarily expect to become a massive muscle-bound hulk or anything, that sort of thing is controlled mostly by genetics. But it's always a good idea to engage in strength training if you can handle it.

In an ideal world, consult a strength trainer and nutritionist to help you plan your exercise/diet plan. (If you're in school, this sort of thing may be available for free or at a nominal cost.)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
I would say healthy weight gain could be done by gaining muscle so you might want to try bulking up by hitting the gym and drinking protein to complement your workouts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
but be careful with all that protein and take milk thistle. it's easy to manipulate your body, but it's something unique, so be careful with just doing what everyone else says or does, a visit to a nutritionist will help pinpoint your exact diet.
What's the milk thistle do? I read it supports liver health and helps to reduce oxidation of liver cells, does protein damage the liver in high doses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Just wait 20 years, I'm sure you'll have gained all the weight you wanted, and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187
Seriously, though, I wouldn't focus on gaining weight per se. Your doctor has said your weight is fine for your body. If you're interested in improving health, join a gym or buy your own weight set and begin a serious strength training program. Increasing muscle mass will increase your weight (all else being equal). Don't necessarily expect to become a massive muscle-bound hulk or anything, that sort of thing is controlled mostly by genetics. But it's always a good idea to engage in strength training if you can handle it.

In an ideal world, consult a strength trainer and nutritionist to help you plan your exercise/diet plan. (If you're in school, this sort of thing may be available for free or at a nominal cost.)

Thanks for the advice, guys. My doc says that my weight isn't low enough to be worrying about health problems, but I'm still really close to being underweight. I mean I look really, really skinny. I'm gonna try to eat organic foods when possible, I notice a significant different in taste between organic and processed foods. I'm gonna start looking for an affordable (<$600) home gym for some exercise as well. I did pick up some non-GMO soy protein powder, I'm wondering if whey protein would be better?

I believe my insurance fully covers visits to a nutritionist if I have a referral from my primary care physician so I'm gonna look into that.
      01-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

i was in the same boat as you bro. when I grad college in 2004 i was 6'2" 160. I worked out all the time and golfed almost everyday. It was just my metabolism. I would eat and eat and also take whey protein. Didn't matter. Then about 2 years ago I started gaining weight slowly so I did the p90x a couple times Through and it kinda of worked i got really cut up but not to much size. I'm 28 now and only 175 still, but I came to the conclusion I'm just always going to be skinny it is what it is. So i suggest you not worry about it and worry more about just enjoy being skinny its better then being HUGE/FAT! hahaha Goodluck

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
worry more about just enjoy being skinny its better then being HUGE/FAT! hahaha Goodluck

Haha thanks man
      01-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
What's the milk thistle do? I read it supports liver health and helps to reduce oxidation of liver cells, does protein damage the liver in high doses?
I believe my insurance fully covers visits to a nutritionist if I have a referral from my primary care physician so I'm gonna look into that.
nothing scientific proves damage to the liver from too much protein, but just think about the abuse your engine takes if you race as oppose to normal driving. the milk thistle is like fresh new oil for that engine to keep working. it protects and supports healthy liver function. definitely get a menu from your nutritionist if you can. let her know your exact goals.
      01-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
raiyo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Eatting more meals (4-5) times a day might be a bad idea for gaining weight. You might to keep it at 2-3 full meals daily.

When I was your age, I couldn't gain anything. I ate really fatty food, eat right before I sleep, drank soda like water. I even took protein drinks and gained zip after a 6 month try. Now that I'm 30, I want to lose weight.

My suggestion is to take protein drinks (along with working out) and see if it helps you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

In order to gain weight you need to consume more calories than you expend. Use this Caloric Calculator to figure out how much you need daily.
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

As for the the frequency, you should have 5-6 meals, and try to space them out evenly. Maybe after breakfast, eat some fruit and a protein bar. If you eat 3 big meals, YOU Wont gain anything at all. I am in the same boat as you, I have a very low BMI, and a quick metabolism. Unless you start going to the gym ( or working out at home), you will not gain any muscle. You desire to eat will also be increased after workouts. In fact, the Very best way to gain weight is to eat right after your workout. Some people feel that they are cheating themselves if they eat right after, but studies have shown that it is actually very important to do replenish your body right after a tough workout.
      01-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, guys. My doc says that my weight isn't low enough to be worrying about health problems, but I'm still really close to being underweight. I mean I look really, really skinny. I'm gonna try to eat organic foods when possible, I notice a significant different in taste between organic and processed foods. I'm gonna start looking for an affordable (<$600) home gym for some exercise as well.
Check out Power Block:

http://powerblock.com/blocks.html

I have a set of the 'classic' 5-50 (it was a gift from Mrs. JKP1187,) from a local exercise equipment specialty store, G&G Fitness. That plus a bench from a local sporting goods store and the total cost was probably around $400.00. It's great if you have a small apartment (as I did at the time,) I set it up in my bedroom, and it'll take up very little space. If you're interested in this sort of space-saving kit, make sure that it is expandable, so you can add weights to it later as your budget allows.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
from the sounds of it, you're metabolism is thru the roof. you could try weight gainers and working out, but you're only 20 so your body will probably burn everything off. you might have to go for a good 8 meals and maybe something upwards of 6 grams of protein per pound of body weight, but be careful with all that protein and take milk thistle. it's easy to manipulate your body, but it's something unique, so be careful with just doing what everyone else says or does, a visit to a nutritionist will help pinpoint your exact diet.
Do NOT eat 6 grams of protein a day per pound of body weight, that is very, very unhealthy. The stress is on the kidneys, which has to excrete the waste products from protein breakdown (creatinine and urea) which is what worries people. I'm fairly certain there is no stress on the liver from increased protein intake. I was in your same boat a couple years ago, but have been steadily gaining weight by lifting heavy and eating a lot. Balanced diet is the way to go, with an emphasis on protein. I try to always have something to eat about every 2 hours, not a full meal, but maybe a banana or a protein bar or peanut butter with something. Like others said, you have to intake more calories than you expend, which is difficult with a high metabolism. Eat a lot of good food is my best advice and peanut butter is a great way to get extra calories in for the day.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Do NOT eat 6 grams of protein a day per pound of body weight, that is very, very unhealthy. The stress is on the kidneys, which has to excrete the waste products from protein breakdown (creatinine and urea) which is what worries people. I'm fairly certain there is no stress on the liver from increased protein intake. I was in your same boat a couple years ago, but have been steadily gaining weight by lifting heavy and eating a lot. Balanced diet is the way to go, with an emphasis on protein. I try to always have something to eat about every 2 hours, not a full meal, but maybe a banana or a protein bar or peanut butter with something. Like others said, you have to intake more calories than you expend, which is difficult with a high metabolism. Eat a lot of good food is my best advice and peanut butter is a great way to get extra calories in for the day.

-Ben

Thanks for the advice. I'm really a complete noob at fitness so I think it's in my best interest to see a nutritionist.
      01-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, guys. My doc says that my weight isn't low enough to be worrying about health problems, but I'm still really close to being underweight. I mean I look really, really skinny. I'm gonna try to eat organic foods when possible, I notice a significant different in taste between organic and processed foods. I'm gonna start looking for an affordable (<$600) home gym for some exercise as well. I did pick up some non-GMO soy protein powder, I'm wondering if whey protein would be better?

Soy contains trypsin inhibitors which literally inhibit the breakdown of soy protein deeming it useless as a protein supplement. Soy also contains anti-nutrients (phytates) which bind to minerals. And based on first hand experience, I know for a fact that soy is indeed estrogenic and inhibits thyroid function. Part of my business is salivary steroidal hormone testing so I have objective data indicating soy's estrogenic tendencies.

Most whey powders won't be much better as they are loaded with a bunch of synthetic shit, derived from sick cows, are pasteurized, contain denatured protein, and inflame the small intestine.

One protein powder that I would look into is from raw, organic milk and is cold pressed (not heated) making it extremely bioavailable. The name is Eclater de Sante.

The benefits of your food intake will only be as good as what you are able to digest, assimilate, and eliminate. You are what you eat and can break down. Whole, organic foods are exceptional for this reason. We are designed to eat such foods.

Quote:

-Ben
Data does not support your claim of protein intake impairing renal function in healthy populations.

Are you talking organic peanut butter or peanut butter with hydrogenated oils? Many people have allergies to peanuts so be careful with such a recommendation as it may backfire.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Soy contains trypsin inhibitors which literally inhibit the breakdown of soy protein deeming it useless as a protein supplement. Soy also contains anti-nutrients (phytates) which bind to minerals. And based on first hand experience, I know for a fact that soy is indeed estrogenic and inhibits thyroid function. Part of my business is salivary steroidal hormone testing so I have objective data indicating soy's estrogenic tendencies.

Most whey powders won't be much better as they are loaded with a bunch of synthetic shit, derived from sick cows, are pasteurized, contain denatured protein, and inflame the small intestine.

One protein powder that I would look into is from raw, organic milk and is cold pressed (not heated) making it extremely bioavailable. The name is Eclater de Sante.

The benefits of your food intake will only be as good as what you are able to digest, assimilate, and eliminate. You are what you eat and can break down. Whole, organic foods are exceptional for this reason. We are designed to eat such foods.

Wow, I had no idea about this. I'll look into the powder you recommended, thanks for your insight.
      01-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do NOT eat 6 grams of protein a day per pound of body weight, that is very, very unhealthy. The stress is on the kidneys, which has to excrete the waste products from protein breakdown (creatinine and urea) which is what worries people. Balanced diet is the way to go, with an emphasis on protein.
you have no idea what you're talking about and you contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. kidneys in normal healthy people are unaffected by the increased protein intake.

that's why i suggested for him to go see a nutritionist and not take anything posted here as a hard rule to follow. there will always be people like you that pass on erroneous information they overheard from someone else.
      01-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

that's why i suggested for him to go see a nutritionist and not take anything posted here as a hard rule to follow.

That's definitely my intention. I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Nice Z by the way.
      01-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #18
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I said an emphasis on protein, not 6 grams per pound of body weight per day, that's pure insanity. Even if the kid is 140 pounds, you're suggesting he ingest 840 grams of protein a day? I would love to hear a nutritionist tell you that it's healthy to ingest upwards of 6 grams of protein per pound of body weight a day. I fully realize that healthy people can ingest elevated amounts of protein per day without any side effects, but what you are suggesting is beyond ridiculous, and I would not consider it safe in any way shape or form. I should have been more clear with what I meant by an "emphasis" on protein, meaning at the maximum, 2 times your body weight, aka 180 pound person would ingest ~360 grams of protein per day.

Quote:
you have no idea what you're talking about and you contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. kidneys in normal healthy people are unaffected by the increased protein intake.

that's why i suggested for him to go see a nutritionist and not take anything posted here as a hard rule to follow. there will always be people like you that pass on erroneous information they overheard from someone else.

As regards to the peanut butter, organic only. Everything else is loaded up with so many damn oils that it's sickening. The stuff I buy has only peanuts and salt.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
BimmerPowered
Rep
Drives: '06 ZCP M3

do a clean bulk using these items:

peanut butter/almond butter
milk
eggs
whole grain breads
protein shakes (supplement, dont rely on them)
lean proteins: chicken/fish (watch the mercury content)
oatmeal

pretty much the staples of bodybuilding.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post

Most whey powders won't be much better as they are loaded with a bunch of synthetic shit, derived from sick cows, are pasteurized, contain denatured protein, and inflame the small intestine.One protein powder that I would look into is from raw, organic milk and is cold pressed (not heated) making it extremely bioavailable. The name is Eclater de Sante.

Data does not support your claim of protein intake impairing renal function in healthy populations.

Are you talking organic peanut butter or peanut butter with hydrogenated oils? Many people have allergies to peanuts so be careful with such a recommendation as it may backfire.

A buddy quit working out with us, wifey thing we think, and gave me some powder he had bought. I am pretty sure it is a cheap brand. 26g's per scoop blah blah blah.

Could I be doing worse by drinking/consuming it vs just eating a lot? The sick cow thing makes me want to chunk it.

I have the metabolism of a hummingbird and eat like a freaking Clydesdale.
6'2" 195-198 lbs. If I don't eat 5 times a day I get weak feeling and will lose weight. I am not complaining at my age either. I would hate for it to be the other way around being I enjoy eating very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Could I be doing worse by drinking/consuming it vs just eating a lot? The sick cow thing makes me want to chunk it.

I have the metabolism of a hummingbird and eat like a freaking Clydesdale.
6'2" 195-198 lbs. If I don't eat 5 times a day I get weak feeling and will lose weight. I am not complaining at my age either. I would hate for it to be the other way around being I enjoy eating very much.
I don't recommend these commercially available products as the pasteurization and harsh processing leads to a supplement that is poorly absorbed. These processed "foods" take a toll on the body and can lead to digestive and endocrine disruption.

Like I said above, the benefits of what you eat is only as good as what you can assimilate into the body. Pasteurized dairy is difficult to digest because it is void of enzymes and any vitality. Additionally, when you heat foods there is a tendency to denature the food's nutrients. This concern is magnified by people's tendency to have poor digestion due to the consumption of dead, synthetic foods and high stress levels. Do your own research and make the decision that is best for you.

You should like an ectomorph. If you're looking to make mass gains it's hard to beat whole foods, water, compound lifts with heavy loads, consistent training, and resting hard. Your expression of what you look like will be determined by genetics, hormones, nutrition/lifestyle, and thoughts/emotions. Create a strategy to address all of these with what you're trying to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Thanks.

Since I have been using the powder, about two weeks, I seem to getting a little pooch belly. I never have a pooch. I will stop using it and do some serious ab work to get rid of it I guess.

It makes me belch too.
Appreciate 0