F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Biceps wont gain
Studio RSR

06-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Thanks for all the replies guys, yesterday i did a more controlled workout and on my biceps and i felt the muscle work more. And one more issue, when i do bicep workouts with somewhat heavier weight, my forearm bones feel like they are going to crack, it feels like shin splints in my fore arms.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmidHariri
Thanks for all the replies guys, yesterday i did a more controlled workout and on my biceps and i felt the muscle work more. And one more issue, when i do bicep workouts with somewhat heavier weight, my forearm bones feel like they are going to crack, it feels like shin splints in my fore arms.
Also take creatine add some more more protein. also how old are you? How tall are you? And whats your current weight ? Your body will grow totally different when you are 35 vs 25.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Clenbuterol. Works wonders. (not srs)

Actually, take a break from the isolation exercises and focus on big, compound exercises for a while. Then come back in a few weeks and add some iso work in at the end of your workout. Eat ~500-1000 kcal. above maintenance too.
Focus on 10-15 reps for size gain and 5-9 for strength.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Clenbuterol. Works wonders.

Actually, take a break from the isolation exercises and focus on big, compound exercises for a while. Then come back in a few weeks and add some iso work in at the end of your workout. Eat ~500-1000 kcal. above maintenance too.
Focus on 10-15 reps for size gain and 5-10 for strength.
Clen is NOT what the OP needs, clen is for cutting (and very stressful on the heart, so not reccomended for noobs). It sounds like the OP has a hard time gaining weight so the last thing he needs is something that will burn his muscles as he's trying to build..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

im 18, 170lbs, 5'8. i have a decently muscular build. Im not fat but im not thin. I have a flat stomach and a big upperbody and a decent lower. I take protein on a daily basis and i rather avoid using kreatin because its not something i need right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Clen is NOT what the OP needs, clen is for cutting (and very stressful on the heart, so not reccomended for noobs). It sounds like the OP has a hard time gaining weight so the last thing he needs is something that will burn his muscles as he's trying to build..
I was not serious about that part of my post...I guess my words did not accurately convey that. I do not recommend any such aides for the same reasons you stated and many mere.
I do stand by the rest of my post though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #29
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmidHariri View Post
im 18, 170lbs, 5'8. i have a decently muscular build. Im not fat but im not thin. I have a flat stomach and a big upperbody and a decent lower. I take protein on a daily basis and i rather avoid using kreatin because its not something i need right now.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stay away from creatine??
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

Lol...staying away from creatine? Ok!

Anyway.....Other workouts to do, bench press, underhanded pull ups, low/bent over/tbar rows. If your forearms feel like they are going to snap then use the ez curl bars and incorporate forearm exercises then graduate to straight bar once you build more strength. Focus on heavy compunds doing iso once a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
Lol...staying away from creatine? Ok!
I love when I hear this.. "You know cause I don't want to get too big"
Apparently its super easy to get huge, just lift a little and take creatine.. Then BAM you're huge!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
LOL, do you even know what creatine is? I'm guessing not.

Your body PRODUCES creatine. It is primarily stored in your muscles. Meat has creatine in it (specifically red meat).

You don't need to go out and buy a tub of creatine, or any supplement for that matter. Supplements do exactly what their name suggests....they fill in the gaps to a less than perfect diet.

Improve you eating habits. Keep your protein intake high (eat lots of meat), and you should have no reason to ever step foot in a GNC or any nutritional supplement store.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I love when I hear this.. "You know cause I don't want to get too big"
Apparently its super easy to get huge, just lift a little and take creatine.. Then BAM you're huge!
Then I should be looking like Arnold by now!

Anyway, someone on the other page posted that you should do lower weight and 15+ reps. Pretty bad advice.

Stick with compound movements with a few isolation moves here and there and you'll see better results. It's true, the triceps is the bigger arm muscle and makes your arm appear "bigger" but the biceps provides that pop that guys want when they flex.
      06-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey guys, so ive been having trouble working out my biceps properly. The main issue about this is that i dont feel any soreness or any kind of feeling in my biceps letting me know my workout is doing anything. My biceps just dont grow, and when i do reps, it gets to a point where it feels like im pushing an immovable wall and i just cant continue, and even then i still dont feel anything in my biceps. I get a bit of soreness on the inside of my elbow the side facing my body.
I want to know what im doing wrong and where to start to make a change.
Been a "Gym Rat" for over 20yrs.

There are a few personal recommendations:

1. Seated Preacher Curls using a Curl Bar! Back of arms should be flat against rest. This is absolutely the BEST workout one can do for defined and big biceps... period.
2. Alternating Dumbbell curls
3. Dumbbell side curls

Once you have the correct form (crucial) try super sets.

Couple videos of the correct form for both:

06-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
The pain you are feeling will become a major issue if you continue training the way you do. Lower the weight a bit and keep your wrist straight when doing the movement. Cut out straight bar curls or keep them light. The people I know that had damaged tendons in the forearm all got that way from doing heavy straight bar curls .
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

You also need to work your forearms . You can't expect to grow great arms when you got twigs for forearms.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #37
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
The pain you are feeling will become a major issue if you continue training the way you do. Lower the weight a bit and keep your wrist straight when doing the movement. Cut out straight bar curls or keep them light. The people I know that had damaged tendons in the forearm all got that way from doing heavy straight bar curls .
I rotate between straight bars and ez bars. I like to change it up.

I used to get forearm pain from the straight bars, but then I put more focus into my forearm work outs and never had a problem since
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #38
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I Never Use Straight Bar For Biceps. Dumbbells Alleviate Most If Not All Added Stress From Weight Lifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Definitely use either dumbells or ez curl bar. A straight bar is not going to allow you the proper wrist rotation at the top of the rep to really utilize the muscle (not to mention wrist and forearm strain from the unnatural movement)

If you do preacher curls: I like to do them at the end of a workout and pause or do negative reps...it really burns and is a great way to end the workout.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I rather stay away from creatine because im pretty big already, i have big arms and broad upper body, and my forearms are pretty big already and strong and the pain feels like its coming from deeper inside my arm.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #41
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I rather stay away from creatine because im pretty big already, i have big arms and broad upper body, and my forearms are pretty big already and strong and the pain feels like its coming from deeper inside my arm.
That sound like something you should mention to your physician, don't ignore a pain like that. I'd surmise tendinitis but obviously we can't know over the internet. Take some aspirin and lay off of the curls for a while.

How are your other lifts? Pain?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #42
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
That sound like something you should mention to your physician, don't ignore a pain like that. I'd surmise tendinitis but obviously we can't know over the internet. Take some aspirin and lay off of the curls for a while.

How are your other lifts? Pain?
everything else is fine, if i try to curl heavier weight then there is pressure in my forearm and when im done with the set i just literally shake it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #43
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

came to a conclusion that my biceps grow at an awkward angle due to genetics, i was talking to my brother about it. Hes a fighter and personal trainer and hes the size of a viking. He just told me to work my triceps more and do more calisthenic workouts and my biceps will get bigger.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #44
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
He just told me to work my triceps more...
Hmm, I wonder why no one else mentioned that....Why make a thread about this if you have no intention of actually listening to any of the advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
Ultimately, triceps are what make your arms look bigger anyways, not your biceps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4now View Post
Triceps are what makes your "arms" look big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Another piece of advice is train your triceps and your biceps will grow. most people won't understand this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
It's true, the triceps is the bigger arm muscle and makes your arm appear "bigger" but the biceps provides that pop that guys want when they flex.
Appreciate 0