BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
vegaseric
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
You would be in the minority in your view of what is proper. 10 years ago or earlier, that kind of statement made sense. Today, good autos are faster than manuals and get better fuel economy. Ferrari has not made a manual for several years now. This is a performance car; the manual is no longer the performance option.
I agree... but ultimate performance wouldn't be my goal... I just dig a stick shift and three pedals. That's why I chose a 6MT instead of the DCT knowing full well that the DCT is a faster, superior performing gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
lets be honest. the only thing cool about these new cars is the power. everything is subpar compared to its German rivals
What German rivals?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #24
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
The challenger hellcat is coming with a manual transmission...
And is $4,000 cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #25
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i dont like the Challenger or chargers coming out.

IMO they dont look that great inside and out. the challenger looks the same for years now.

i cant get over those skinny tires they use on these cars either. the cars are pigs, no matter how fast they are. I cant see them feeling that great to drive.

i am moving to a Detroit car most likely (the corvette) because to me thats a real sports car. So i am not on the BMW fanboy wagon. its my honest thoughts.
I agree with you. I doubt those cars would handle well on a track. But on that account the M3 is not a "real" sports car either. The only real sports cars you can get under 100k right now are a FRS, Miata, 370z, lotus elise, Cayman/boxster, and corvette.
I always find these exclusionary definitions of "sports car" on this forum to be amusing.

There is no governing body of the sports car, and there is no universal arbiter of what cars fall into the "sports car" box while others fall into some other (usually non-mutually exclusive, on this forum, like "sports coupe" or "sports GT") category.

Given that, I embrace a more inclusive definition of sports car: If its intended purpose is even slightly more bent towards sport/fun than any other factor, it's a "sports car."

My personal pet peeve is guys on this forum that try to pigeon-hole sports cars into the two seater category. I find it hard to swallow that cars like the Porsche 911 or Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (or any of the four seater Ferraris, for that matter) aren't "sports cars" because they have more than 2 seats. I'm never going to try to argue that definition.

I'm honestly even confused by the cars that you're throwing out as the "only sports cars" you can buy for under 100 grand. I see mostly two seaters in your list, but you exclude the Z4 for some reason. And then you include the FRS, despite the fact that it has four seats...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
I always find these exclusionary definitions of "sports car" on this forum to be amusing.

There is no governing body of the sports car, and there is no universal arbiter of what cars fall into the "sports car" box while others fall into some other (usually non-mutually exclusive, on this forum, like "sports coupe" or "sports GT") category.

Given that, I embrace a more inclusive definition of sports car: If its intended purpose is even slightly more bent towards sport/fun than any other factor, it's a "sports car."

My personal pet peeve is guys on this forum that try to pigeon-hole sports cars into the two seater category. I find it hard to swallow that cars like the Porsche 911 or Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (or any of the four seater Ferraris, for that matter) aren't "sports cars" because they have more than 2 seats. I'm never going to try to argue that definition.

I'm honestly even confused by the cars that you're throwing out as the "only sports cars" you can buy for under 100 grand. I see mostly two seaters in your list, but you exclude the Z4 for some reason. And then you include the FRS, despite the fact that it has four seats...
by definition a sports car is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.

I see my M3 has a sports car, i see a mustang as a sports car. I even feel a a Challenger is a sports car. a two door car that is is designed for performance.

but i feel some sports cars are more "sporty " than others.

you kind of gotta take it for what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #27
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

New Challenger is a huge step forward over the 2014. I just had a RT as a rental and was very impressed. Doesn't even feel like the same car. Interior is huge improvemt. Everything is so much better. Def on par as far as quality with my e92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
New Challenger is a huge step forward over the 2014. I just had a RT as a rental and was very impressed. Doesn't even feel like the same car. Interior is huge improvemt. Everything is so much better. Def on par as far as quality with my e92 M3

too bad the hood bulge on the m3 is blocking numerous fanboys from seeing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #29
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I heard there's already a six month waiting list if you want one.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Be a fun bracket racer with warranty. Slicks and suspension change done.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #31
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaseric View Post

What German rivals?
what german rivals ? IDK go read youtube comments on the hellcat. all you see is people going on about how this car will smoke everything from Europe. they may be be direct competitors officially. but i can tell you people all the time compare them.
Appreciate 0