F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 finance article on CNN
proTUNING Freaks

11-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

F1 finance article on CNN

This article made the big times at CNN - the home for Breaking News (ha!)

Is Formula One running out of gas?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/06/sport/...html?hpt=hp_c4
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
How sad, no one gives a shit about HRT who went bust last year or so.
Now just because Caterham and Marussia had gone into administration, just before the USGP. So CNN made an article about it.

Also many Formula 1 teams had gone in and out of business past several decades, as well as ownership changes.
      11-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

any publicity is good publicity. I find it outrageous that F1 is one of the most viewed sports in the world with over 500M viewers and ESPN can't even be bothered to mention the USGP F1 race in Austin but they'll dedicate entire shows to NASCAR.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

All this started when tobacco companies pulled out of the sport. No one puts more $$ in it now. Then you get talentless pricks like Pastor/Petrov/Perez etc paying to drive in the sport that was once a meritocracy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The NY Times had a good article. The proverbial bottom line is that Bernie mortgaged the hell out of Formula 1 to gain control of it and while there's enough total revenue to make the sport work, more than half of it goes to the cabal behind Bernie which does nothing, nada to support the sport. The money is just skimmed of the top. Since one of the cornerstones of the sports popularity is cutting edge technology, there's no way that business model can be sustained unless the revenues can be greatly increased. If they instead decide to cut costs as Christian Horner suggests, I think they stand a good chance of seeing their revenues decline as well.
      11-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I was really excited for the Port Imperial NJ F1 track, as it's right near the college I attended. But it appears that Christie couldn't fork over enough millions to Bernie.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
The NY Times had a good article. The proverbial bottom line is that Bernie mortgaged the hell out of Formula 1 to gain control of it and while there's enough total revenue to make the sport work, more than half of it goes to the cabal behind Bernie which does nothing, nada to support the sport. The money is just skimmed of the top. Since one of the cornerstones of the sports popularity is cutting edge technology, there's no way that business model can be sustained unless the revenues can be greatly increased. If they instead decide to cut costs as Christian Horner suggests, I think they stand a good chance of seeing their revenues decline as well.
Agreed - very good article in the NYT yes

Even the bottom teams are spending $100 million a year + and can't come close to competing as they are getting out spent 4-5 times over

Most successful sports series have salary caps - it would hurt the tech but may control cost and tighten up the competition.
Appreciate 0