E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Compressor on the fritz

07-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Compressor on the fritz

Drove to work today, hit the A/C button and nothing but warm air. Thought to myself "Well crap, it did it again". And by again I mean my AR design oil cooler must have bounced back and hit my condenser and put a hole in it.

The first time I installed it, I mounted it a hair too close to the condenser so it wouldn't be clipped by the hood bracket when I closed it and one pot-hole later it jiggled enough to punch a hole in the condenser and leak out all my refrigerant. Lesson learned and I remounted it angled to clear everything and secured the bolts with blue lock-tite for good measure.

I get to work, part and open the hood to look for any contact between the oil cooler and condenser and see nothing. Perfect spacing from when I installed it. Poked around with a flashlight and could not find any visible holes like from a rock or road debris.

My car has actually been in the garage since last week due to a lot of rain and storms, but I can't remember if I used A/C or not since we had that summer cold-spell in the D.C. area.

Edited for new info

Last edited by E60orBust; 07-28-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

First check to see where your AC is leaking from? May be another hole in condenser or somewhere else. It may be all coincidence.

And I can relate, last year my AR Design oil cooler punched a hole in the condenser. That was a fun project to fix. Still not sure how it happened since there appeared to be plenty of clearance. My cooler had even clearance all around, but it clearly did punch the hole since it was leaking from right behind one of the corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

No leaks. I still had the bottle from the last time I dinged the condenser and it showed about 35-45 psi of refrigerant. I also checked the three snowflake fuses in the glovebox and all checked out fine.

Update edit: After reading a post about how the RPM changes should vary when the snowflake button is hit, I went outside to check that. From what I read, the RPM's should decrease when the button is on and increase when the button is off. I have the P3 vent gauge installed so I put it to RPM reading and found the exact opposite. With the snowflake button lit, RPM goes to about 720 at idle. When I turn it off it drops down to about 640.

That doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited by E60orBust; 07-28-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0