F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > does anyone use the BMW fuel additive that comes in a little blue 3-ounce bottle?
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: does anyone use the BMW fuel additive that comes in a little blue 3-ounce bottle?
YES 1 3.33%
NO 29 96.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

01-26-2024, 12:38 PM   #23
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullogna View Post
Snake oil, unless existing issues after xxxx mileage. Same as any modern non-carb’d engine. Same folks that use similar crap, IMO, are the same that refuse to acknowledge all top-tier fuel comes from the same plant in the same truck, while loudly yelling, “but, but, they put magical additives in ‘their’ fuels”, (yet don’t do basic OA?). I’ll stick to H‑E‑B, Costco, Sam’s Club, AM/PM, as I have for forty years of driving, and will only consider any form of fuel injector cleaning upon an issue arising. Across multiple brands/engines & multiple 80-100k+ runs, never had a single issue. BMW engines are no different. (There’s a reason no manufacturer actually recommends anything, only stealerships, conveniently not covered either). 98% of the time it’s a money grab. To each their own though, hell, I follow 5-7k OCIs with routine oil analysis, so, yea. We can all spend where we deem it useful. /shrug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Of all the brands you mentioned you use only Costco is listed on the Top Tier Gas website as being a Top Tier gas. But you go right ahead believe whatever makes you happy.
https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Good bye
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullogna View Post
Gotta love those with a lack of reading comprehension skills and love being internet warriors. Just as the poster immediately above you, claiming only one of the brands of fuel I randomly tossed out was ‘top tier’, (despite his own link proving him wrong, as AM/PM - which is Arco, Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc are all clearly listed).

There are those who read something on bobistheoilguy or some crap, and will forever defend an insane position, and those who choose to not believe marketing hype and ‘sponsored’ programs like Top Tier, or not to use dealer/manufacturer oil, instead opting to perform routine OA or FA on their own vehicles. I’ll opt for the later, as I don’t like being a sheep.

This thread is as useful as a “What brand of oil is best” thread.
Wow! You are some special kind of stupid. The only brands you mentioned you personally use, “H-E-B, Costco, Sam’s Club, AM/PM”. And of those brands only Costco is listed on the Top Tier website. You just got here, you don’t drive a BMW, and you’re belligerent right off the bat. I tell you what, don’t let the door hit you in the butt on your way out!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-26-2024, 03:03 PM   #24
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I was surprised that nobody suggest "Italian tune up" Bring your cars to the highway and enjoy the rush......

I don't know if launch control counts as Italian tune-up, but I do it once in a while.

earlier this week, I did 700 miles in 2 days... 70mph to 79mph mostly. hopefully that got rid of some gunk from the engine?

Last edited by SpaceSilver.X1; 01-26-2024 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1480.50
      01-26-2024, 07:29 PM   #25
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
I'll just leave this here. See .pdf file attached.
https://www.verifythis.com/article/n...8-6782d6065455

All regular grade and premium grade gasoline in any given region use the same base fuel, AAA says. What’s different is the unique mix of additives that each brand blends into their fuel before it gets to the fuel pump and into your car. Fuel brands mix in additives when their tankers are loaded at fuel terminals, says the NACS, a trade association for convenience stores and fuel retailers.

The additives are designed to clean and protect the engine of a car by preventing the excessive buildup of carbon deposits, the NACS and AAA say. Those deposits can reduce performance and fuel economy, and cause other drivability problems. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires all gas retailers use a minimum level of additives, the NACS explains. According to EPA regulations, these additives must reduce an engine’s deposits by at least 10% compared to additive-free fuel.

While these standards helped minimize certain deposits, some automakers felt the standards did not go far enough, AAA says. And so, in 2004, these automakers established a gas standard called “Top Tier,” which requires more additives that they say are of a higher quality. In order for a gas retailer to be a licensed Top Tier gas supplier, it has to meet the requirements established by the automakers.

AAA conducted a study in 2016 on the long-term impact of gas with and without an “enhanced additive package,” such as Top Tier gas. The study showed long-term use of gas without an enhanced additive package “can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2-4%, drivability issues, and increased emissions.” The AAA study found that there was a greater quantity of harmful deposits in engines of cars that didn’t use Top Tier fuel than there were in cars that did use Top Tier fuel.

Top Tier’s website maintains a list of gas retailers that are certified retailers of the Top Tier gasoline standard. This list includes big national brands like Exxon and Shell, but also includes some local retailers.

But “Top Tier” gas stations aren’t the only retailers that sell high-quality gas, says Consumer Guide Automotive, an auto review organization. Top Tier certification is optional and costly, and so some gas stations choose not to get certified. “This means that there are likely a number of gasoline retailers selling fuel that qualifies for Top Tier certification, but have chosen not to license the rights to say so,” Consumer Guide Automotive wrote in 2019.

So should you worry about making sure you buy gas with enhanced additives? Occasionally using discount gas without as many additives likely won’t hurt your vehicle in the long run. AAA also found that, in 2016, Top Tier fuel brands were on average about 3 cents more expensive per gallon than other fuel brands at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AAA_Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf (3.77 MB, 70 views)
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 01-26-2024 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-29-2024, 06:51 PM   #26
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Best practice is to use "Top Tier" gasoline. Then quarterly add a bottle of Techron or such which with it being super concentrated does perform an additional cleaning that is above and beyond just using XYZ fuel.

It's also recommended to use a Liquid Molly or other such oil additive for fifteen minutes just before an oil change. Which helps loosen up sludge and other crud that thickens up motor oil and hangs out in the corners.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 12:36 AM   #27
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Wow! You are some special kind of stupid. The only brands you mentioned you personally use, “H-E-B, Costco, Sam’s Club, AM/PM”. And of those brands only Costco is listed on the Top Tier website. You just got here, you don’t drive a BMW, and you’re belligerent right off the bat. I tell you what, don’t let the door hit you in the butt on your way out!!
My uncle who lives in Atlanta just sent me this. I'm sure it's an isolated location.

"More drivers report getting bad gas from metro Atlanta Costco locations"
January 30, 2024 at 6:40 am EST
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/mor...M6IR647ACZYDQ/
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:13 AM   #28
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Why not just fill up at Chevron? That is what I do.
Yep. Or any Top Tier gas. Additive not necessary, just thins your wallet for slightly better seat comfort.
DanG10660.50
      01-31-2024, 02:15 AM   #29
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
It's also recommended to use a Liquid Molly or other such oil additive for fifteen minutes just before an oil change. Which helps loosen up sludge and other crud that thickens up motor oil and hangs out in the corners.
Recommended by who exactly? Somebody who wants to sell it to you? Unless it's some 200k-mile Kia motor that's been running crappy oil, this is completely unnecessary.
      01-31-2024, 02:38 AM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Costco does cheap gas so I'd be wary, over here they don't even meet the 98RON minimum required for M cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:04 PM   #31
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Costco does cheap gas so I'd be wary, over here they don't even meet the 98RON minimum required for M cars.
Uhm lets stick to facts not random guesses. Costco goes through great pains to offer "Top Tier" gas utilizing top tier detergents.

Where I live when they had trouble sourcing they ripped up the parking lot and added a detergent dispensing system to ensure the proper dosing and detergents that meet their stringent requirements was added.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:23 PM   #32
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I think F87source advised me that even if you use top tier gas you should still use this a few times a year (depending mileage). Do I have that wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:38 PM   #33
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Uhm lets stick to facts not random guesses. Costco goes through great pains to offer "Top Tier" gas utilizing top tier detergents.

Where I live when they had trouble sourcing they ripped up the parking lot and added a detergent dispensing system to ensure the proper dosing and detergents that meet their stringent requirements was added.
It's not a guess mate, Costco only has 97RON super here so no good for mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:35 PM   #34
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not a guess mate, Costco only has 97RON super here so no good for mine.
That's a level not available in the states. Seems like the engines are the same USA vs European. Seems like the USA weaker sauce you can get there would be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:27 PM   #35
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
That's a level not available in the states. Seems like the engines are the same USA vs European. Seems like the USA weaker sauce you can get there would be just fine.
I gather US 93 gas is on par with the UK 99 one.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:42 PM   #36
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I gather US 93 gas is on par with the UK 99 one.
Not quite but close 99 Ron is 95 Octane here is the best conversion chart I can find. http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/oc...nversions.html

In the US the highest octane is 92 (I work for a VERY large fuel distributor)

Although specialty fuels are available in a pail or barrel but not readily pumped.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60072.50
      01-31-2024, 06:09 PM   #37
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
I do this every 3000 miles. I used it in early December before a long holiday road-trip. I averaged a bit over 27 mpg for 2500 highway miles. Seems like it is doing something good.
Before every long trip and Definately after an oil Change.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      01-31-2024, 06:14 PM   #38
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I was surprised that nobody suggest "Italian tune up" Bring your cars to the highway and enjoy the rush......
Yes using this or Intake Valve Cleaner and then and oil change then proceed with an Italian Tune-up ahahaha

Last edited by ChiltiCoatl89; 01-31-2024 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1480.50