F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New headlight: Should I remove tunes?
ARMA SPEED

03-28-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

New headlight: Should I remove tunes?

Hi all,

I have a quick question. My car is at the dealership for a new LED headlight replacement, and the new lamp/modules have to be programmed. The car has a MHD engine tune & a XHP transmission tune.

The dealer called me to let me know that programming the headlamp will wipe out the tune. Should I remove the tunes first before the headlight re-programming?

According to the dealer, it should not cause any issues, but I want to be safe.

Kind regards,

Junius
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:08 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

You'll be fine, they will just overwrite your tunes. And lock you DME 😁. You'll need to invest in an unlocker or ship it out..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:02 PM   #3
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

Im_an_alien is correct, this happened to me last year when I got my M Performance brake coded in. I put in a negative survey and immediately got called by my service advisor who claimed to have no idea it would happen. Getting my DME unlocked again was like $350 I think
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:24 PM   #4
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_440i View Post
Im_an_alien is correct, this happened to me last year when I got my M Performance brake coded in. I put in a negative survey and immediately got called by my service advisor who claimed to have no idea it would happen. Getting my DME unlocked again was like $350 I think
I had my car at the dealership recently and told my SA not to update anything DME related and he was cool with it. He said he would ask my permission first.

Quick question, since you got your DME locked and then unlocked...When it's time to smog again, don't you have to relock the DME and go back to stock tune? And do you have to pay to unlock the DME AGAIN? I heard some states are starting to check for tunes and following commiefornia's stupid regulations.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:41 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinAddict View Post
I had my car at the dealership recently and told my SA not to update anything DME related and he was cool with it. He said he would ask my permission first.

Quick question, since you got your DME locked and then unlocked...When it's time to smog again, don't you have to relock the DME and go back to stock tune? And do you have to pay to unlock the DME AGAIN? I heard some states are starting to check for tunes and following commiefornia's stupid regulations.
Yes they check for tunes but if you have a 2015 as your profile suggests its not a problem. You just flash back to stock and relock DME with MHD or BM3, go pass, then use them to re-unlock and flash again.

The cars where DME locking is a real problem (Requires bench unlock or similar) likely havent been smogged yet since they arent 8 years old
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 07:00 PM   #6
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Some people go to extremes and get a clone of their DME. Keep the original and tune the clone, then swap back and forth as circumstances require. I myself looked into cloning my DME, something I may revisit as ICE regulations get tighter in some states
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #7
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Some people go to extremes and get a clone of their DME. Keep the original and tune the clone, then swap back and forth as circumstances require. I myself looked into cloning my DME, something I may revisit as ICE regulations get tighter in some states
What's the ballpark pricing for a DME anyways? Haven't heard of that one yet. But in CA, we just assume and prepare for the worse
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:54 PM   #8
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinAddict View Post
What's the ballpark pricing for a DME anyways? Haven't heard of that one yet. But in CA, we just assume and prepare for the worse
They are not too expensive for used ones on eBay, you don't need a new one. The difficult part is finding someone who has the equipment to clone it. You have to send out both of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:04 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
This doesn't solve the problem of not being able to run certain hardware mods without a tune. i.e., i cant install a HPFP that requires a tune, because i need to drive my car to get a smog check on a non-tuned DME. So even if i have a 2nd non-tuned DME, if i swap that into the car i wouldnt be able to drive it lol
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:26 PM   #10
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This doesn't solve the problem of not being able to run certain hardware mods without a tune. i.e., i cant install a HPFP that requires a tune, because i need to drive my car to get a smog check on a non-tuned DME. So even if i have a 2nd non-tuned DME, if i swap that into the car i wouldnt be able to drive it lol
Swap the hpfp to stock too 😁...
But yeah, it's not fool proof.
Appreciate 0