F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > “If you want a manual M, you need to buy it now.”
Studio RSR

02-26-2024, 07:03 PM   #45
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
No, I won't. Nor the smell.

Many people downplay the importance of MT because it is a thing that matters.

There are many other things that are as much or even more important than whether one is driving a sportscar.

Many disable-bodied can drive an AT.

Just choose a MT!

You won't want to see what AT drivers do.

This is what made them choose AT.
LOL what a bunch of non-answers. There are some awful drivers whatever tranny they drive, but it seems like only certain MTers are sanctimonious about their fake self-perceived superiority; it's not a great skill, I've learned way back when I got my licence @16

If you wanna feel a throbbing vibrating stick, go w MT, you're definitely more *in touch* w the car, I'd give you that hahha. If you want better steering feel and control and not have micro cuts to throttle, go w the best there is: DCT. Time has moved on.

EDIT: you didn't havta multiquote me man, wth, much ado about nothing, much like the stick
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:10 PM   #46
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
LOL what a bunch of non-answers.
I didn't notice any questions.

Quote:
There are some awful drivers whatever tranny they drive
No, that's simply unbelievable!!!

Quote:
it seems like only certain MTers are sanctimonious about their fake self-perceived superiority
Many ATers seem proud of driving faster with trannies they neither designed, nor built or even programmed, only bought. Some second splitters!

Quote:
it's not a great skill, I've learned way back
You can improve it still.

Quote:
If you wanna feel a throbbing vibrating stick, go w MT, you're definitely more *in touch* w the car
No, it doesn't throb or vibrate these days (any noticeably, at least). You see, you've missed all your fun!

Quote:
If you want better steering feel and control
iDrive input control? And a softer seat, too!

Quote:
Time has moved on.
To electric driverless touch-screen cars.

Quote:
much ado about nothing, much like the stick
Still better than nothing to do about much, like the AT.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:48 PM   #47
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Regret that logic hurts too much for you.. ...and some MTers have such fragile egos lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:44 AM   #48
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Regret that logic hurts too much for you.. ...and some MTers have such fragile egos lol.
You're pretty good with the logical fallacies. Some people want a stick because it's more fun. You don't, and that's cool. No need to defend it, or make up reasons why other's do.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      02-27-2024, 09:26 AM   #49
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
If you wanna feel a throbbing vibrating stick, go w MT, you're definitely more *in touch* w the car, I'd give you that hahha. If you want better steering feel and control and not have micro cuts to throttle, go w the best there is: DCT. Time has moved on.

EDIT: you didn't havta multiquote me man, wth, much ado about nothing, much like the stick
Are you sure you're old enough to even have a license?

This thread has now descended into the realm of an elementary-school argument.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2024, 11:40 AM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
You're pretty good with the logical fallacies. Some people want a stick because it's more fun. You don't, and that's cool. No need to defend it, or make up reasons why other's do.
You're right, but the other side dishes it out all the time so it's only fair
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 11:41 AM   #51
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Are you sure you're old enough to even have a license?

This thread has now descended into the realm of an elementary-school argument.
I think I do, yep.

Nothing I said was wrong though, like I said, personal preferences but some of those dudes go nuts so it's time to hear from others.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:33 PM   #52
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
well writing is on the wall, death of ICE will go hand in hand with death of gears
ICE ain't dead. The technocrats and New Normalists want it dead, but all the EV propaganda in the world can't sell EVs or the Great Reset.

As much as I love manuals, the ZF 8er has made me question if I'd go manual again anyways.

I guess I would for a pure sports car. But IDK.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:46 PM   #53
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
ICE ain't dead. The technocrats and New Normalists want it dead, but all the EV propaganda in the world can't sell EVs or the Great Reset.

As much as I love manuals, the ZF 8er has made me question if I'd go manual again anyways.

I guess I would for a pure sports car. But IDK.
i mean sooner or later, it will likely happen not in my lifetime but seems the way barring a major distruption
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #54
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
You don't love them. Don't worry. I drove a 3 Series loaner with the ZF 8er. You've just made me wonder how that could have raised a question.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:38 PM   #55
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
Ya, every now and then we have threads like this and ofc everyone's different bla bla bla, but just like exhaust sound, many ppl overexaggerate the importance of MT, like it's the only thing that matters, when there are many other things that are as much or even more important when one is driving a sportscar. Any able-bodied person can drive a MT, don't make it sound like it's a crazy skill, and I bet if there's a hidden cam in ppl's cars, lots of these supposedly 'amazing' drivers have horrible form and don't even know what they're doing most of the time.
There are actually very few left that know how to drive a stick which is one of the reasons there are so few left. Those of us that can and do are pretty good at it….. a stick is far from all that matters but it’s a deal breaker for me on a sports car. If u don’t like them enjoy your auto
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2024, 04:37 PM   #56
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I drove a 3 Series loaner with the ZF 8er.
Of course I meant 8-speed AT from ZF, not a 8 Series with a ZF if that could be an ambiguity (especially as ZF makes manual transmissions as well).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 02:47 AM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Ya, every now and then we have threads like this and ofc everyone's different bla bla bla, but just like exhaust sound, many ppl overexaggerate the importance of MT, like it's the only thing that matters, when there are many other things that are as much or even more important when one is driving a sportscar. Any able-bodied person can drive a MT, don't make it sound like it's a crazy skill, and I bet if there's a hidden cam in ppl's cars, lots of these supposedly 'amazing' drivers have horrible form and don't even know what they're doing most of the time.
Any able bodied person can drive an automatic transmission'd BMW M-car. Don't make it sound like you are someone special because you can buy an over-priced, over-powered, over-weight, street car. LOL.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-02-2024 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
eliphil1837.50
      03-02-2024, 01:27 PM   #58
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Any able bodied person can drive an automatic transmission'd BMW M-car. Don't make it sound like you are someone special because you can buy an over-priced, over-powered, over-weight, street car. LOL.
We are joking but hey, modern cars are getting crazy heavy. I mentioned the latest M2...what is that, like over 1,700kgs or something?

I remember the outrage when my 2nd gen Z4 replaced the first gen cuz it's heavier. Now, it's like BMW's Speciale version compared to that lol.

For the record, I have a Lotus/MX-5/Miata mindset, I couldn't care less about insane 1,000hp and the crazy wt that comes w it and the engine having 32 cylinders, etc. I prefer handling above all else.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17312.00
      03-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
We are joking but hey, modern cars are getting crazy heavy. I mentioned the latest M2...what is that, like over 1,700kgs or something?

I remember the outrage when my 2nd gen Z4 replaced the first gen cuz it's heavier. Now, it's like BMW's Speciale version compared to that lol.

For the record, I have a Lotus/MX-5/Miata mindset, I couldn't care less about insane 1,000hp and the crazy wt that comes w it and the engine having 32 cylinders, etc. I prefer handling above all else.
I'm the same. When I was looking hard at buying an E90 moving from a 2-door E30, I did a weight calculation based on passenger volume and footprint. BMW pretty much kept the lightweight ethos even up to the E90. The weight/volume ratio is nearly the same between the E30 and the E90. It was acceptable to me because I was looking for a larger 4-door 3-series.

The E86 Coupe is fantastic IMO. Light and extremely stiff. 265 HP N52 in a short, wide chassis.

Running track with a 4,000-pound M3 seems a bit dumb to me.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2024, 03:20 PM   #60
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm the same. When I was looking hard at buying an E90 moving from a 2-door E30, I did a weight calculation based on passenger volume and footprint. BMW pretty much kept the lightweight ethos even up to the E90. The weight/volume ratio is nearly the same between the E30 and the E90. It was acceptable to me because I was looking for a larger 4-door 3-series.

The E86 Coupe is fantastic IMO. Light and extremely stiff. 265 HP N52 in a short, wide chassis.

Running track with a 4,000-pound M3 seems a bit dumb to me.
Ya, it's about power-to-wt but if the wt gets crazy, I don't care how much power one has, it may be less noticeable on straights but one will definitely feel it rounding corners. I dunno why ppl would go for behemoths like Bentleys. They have crazy power but also crazy wt to match...doesn't make sense to ppl like me, might as well just get a Rolls, sit in the back and be done w it.

I mentioned this before as I was lusting after an E86 but bad timing when I actually was ready to buy new, so got the E89. Always loved the first gen. My car's still nice but I love small(er) cars.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17312.00
Neusser455.50
      03-04-2024, 11:11 AM   #61
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Read this today... Such a shame.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/rese...8&sc=shoreline
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:13 PM   #62
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Ya, it's about power-to-wt but if the wt gets crazy, I don't care how much power one has, it may be less noticeable on straights but one will definitely feel it rounding corners. I dunno why ppl would go for behemoths like Bentleys. They have crazy power but also crazy wt to match...doesn't make sense to ppl like me, might as well just get a Rolls, sit in the back and be done w it.

I mentioned this before as I was lusting after an E86 but bad timing when I actually was ready to buy new, so got the E89. Always loved the first gen. My car's still nice but I love small(er) cars.
Same here. Many people don't care about actual driving, I would say.

Especially in the US, the muscle car approach has its fans. Not for me. I like power, but nothing replaces handling and appropriate weight for the chassis.
Appreciate 1