BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Question 6MT or PDK? What's the perfect 981 Cayman?

Hi all,

What options make the perfect 981 Cayman? I ask because I drove three 981 Caymans and struggled to come up with my perfect 981 Cayman build.

The first car I drove was a Cayman S with PDK and the x73 sports suspension. That car had amazing chassis feedback and handling, but it definitely beat me up with its firm ride. It also was low enough that it would scrape on driveways, which made it harder to use in town.

Then I drove two Cayman GTSes back-to-back. The first was a 6MT with PASM and the second a PDK with PASM and PTV.

The PASM suspension definitely resolves the x73 suspension's firm ride and too low stance. PASM is so comfortable and completely dailyable! But, the PASM suspension is missing so much of the road feedback from the x73. I felt much less connected in the PASM cars.

And when it comes to 6MT vs PDK, I prefer the 6MT because it is one of the tightest and smoothest manuals I've rowed, but that long second gear (83 mph at the redline) is ridiculous. The PDK is better geared and would be my pick for track driving so I could focus on my line rather than my footwork.

Even after these drives I'm confused. Porsche has so many options on the 981 Cayman, and depending on which you check, you get a very different driving experience.

What is your perfect spec for a 981 Cayman?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by 414bhp; 12-10-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 10:14 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Hi all,

What options make the perfect 981 Cayman? I ask because I drove three 981 Caymans and struggled to come up with my perfect 981 Cayman build.

The first car I drove was a Cayman S with PDK and the x73 sports suspension. That car had amazing chassis feedback and handling, but it definitely beat me up with its firm ride. It also was low enough that it would scrape on driveways, which made it harder to use in town.

Then I drove two Cayman GTSes back-to-back. The first was a 6MT with PASM and the second a PDK with PASM and PTV.

The PASM suspension definitely resolves the x73 suspension's firm ride and too low stance. PASM is so comfortable and completely dailyable! But, the PASM suspension is missing so much of the road feedback from the x73. I felt much less connected in the PASM cars.

And when it comes to 6MT vs PDK, I prefer the 6MT because it is one of the tightest and smoothest manuals I've rowed, but that long second gear (83 mph at the redline) is ridiculous. The PDK is better geared and would be my pick for track driving so I could focus on my line rather than my footwork.

Even after these drives I'm confused. Porsche has so many options on the 981 Cayman, and depending on which you check, you get a very different driving experience.

What is the perfect spec for a 981 [...]
Rennlist is where you want to be with this. Looks fun though!
      12-10-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I'd probably do the x73 sports suspension for sublime poise and feedback, the 6MT for maximally satisfying shifts, and Sports Chrono, PTV, and the 18-way seats.

I didn't notice the 15hp difference between the S and GTS motors, so I could take either option.
      12-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
6mt for a weekend road car. PDK for a track car or daily driver if you plan to sit in traffic regularly
Appreciate 1
414bhp139.50
      12-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
calypsoe36
Ninja
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
6mt for a weekend road car. PDK for a track car or daily driver if you plan to sit in traffic regularly
This is the way. If lap times are the priority, PDK has an edge, otherwise 6MT for sure.

The 981 is all about engagement and "pureness". Why not maximize that with that manual? There are plenty of more powerful options, so I'd consider the performance uplift from the PDK to be negligible.

I've had a 718 Cayman S (6mt) without PTV or PASM -- honestly didn't miss either on the street. Currently have a GT4 and I never use the more aggressive PASM settings. Just no need.

And plenty of good aftermarket suspension options for the 981 so you can always tweak to your purpose later.

It's easy to get overly focused on Porsche options. At the end of the day, they are all pretty darn awesome.
2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
414bhp139.50
      12-20-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Currently have a 981S 6MT, previously had a 981 base 6MT.
Ideal spec depends on your use case..
If daily driver, I’d prefer base over S as you could rev it out longer (takes longer to get to speed).
6MT makes the car more interactive/engaging unless you do lot of bumper to bumper driving.. Sport chrono option adds auto rev match for 6MT, makes it easier to drive in traffic & on track!
X73 suspension is lower than PASM & non adjustable. If the roads are in average or better condition, X73 is firm but never harsh, it has much better feedback than PASM. Also X73 generally does not scrape on most driveways.
Factory valved sport exhaust is preferable, comparable aftermarket options are costly. You get burbles/crackles on overrun with sports exhaust in sport mode (some like it, some don’t)..
If it’s going to be driven daily/frequently, I’d recommend “convenience package’ as it adds power seats with memory (1 setting for driving & 1 for entry/exit), makes it much easier to get in & out compared to manual seats. Base seats are bolstered enough for sporty driving & comfortable for daily use. Sport plus seats are nice but are manual operated. 18 way power seats are the best but hard to find as it was a $2500+ option when new..
6MT factory shifter is easy & tight enough but feels a little plasticky..
In my personal opinion 981 balances comfort, premium, ride & handling better than previous cayman generations, 718 loses the flat six NA motor.. unless GTS/GT4.
Every drive in a 981 feels like an event but becomes less special if driven daily.. guess that’s applies to anything…
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Currently have a 981S 6MT, previously had a 981 base 6MT.
Ideal spec depends on your use case..
If daily driver, I’d prefer base over S as you could rev it out longer (takes longer to get to speed).
6MT makes the car more interactive/engaging unless you do lot of bumper to bumper driving.. Sport chrono option adds auto rev match for 6MT, makes it easier to drive in traffic & on track!
X73 suspension is lower than PASM & non adjustable. If the roads are in average or better condition, X73 is firm but never harsh, it has much better feedback than PASM. Also X73 generally does not scrape on most driveways.
Factory valved sport exhaust is preferable, comparable aftermarket options are costly. You get burbles/crackles on overrun with sports exhaust in sport mode (some like it, some don’t)..
If it’s going to be driven daily/frequently, I’d recommend “convenience package’ as it adds power seats with memory (1 setting for driving & 1 for entry/exit), makes it much easier to get in & out compared to manual seats. Base seats are bolstered enough for sporty driving & comfortable for daily use. Sport plus seats are nice but are manual operated. 18 way power seats are the best but hard to find as it was a $2500+ option when new..
6MT factory shifter is easy & tight enough but feels a little plasticky..
In my personal opinion 981 balances comfort, premium, ride & handling better than previous cayman generations, 718 loses the flat six NA motor.. unless GTS/GT4.
Every drive in a 981 feels like an event but becomes less special if driven daily.. guess that’s applies to anything…
Thanks for all these details! They are a lot to consider!
      01-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #8
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I ended up getting my hands on a 981 with shorter gears, and that definitely upped the fun factor for me, I think there are only options currently for the 3.8/4.0 cars, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:12 PM   #9
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
I ended up getting my hands on a 981 with shorter gears, and that definitely upped the fun factor for me, I think there are only options currently for the 3.8/4.0 cars, though.
The long gearing is my biggest gripe about my 981. I’m likely keeping that car for the long run so may look into getting a 3-5 gearset into it at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:06 PM   #10
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
The long gearing is my biggest gripe about my 981. I’m likely keeping that car for the long run so may look into getting a 3-5 gearset into it at some point.
What do the shorter gears cost these days?
      02-01-2024, 05:30 AM   #11
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
What do the shorter gears cost these days?
I believe most kits are around 4-5k or so for parts. No idea what labor would be.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:48 AM   #12
Mid-EngineEnthusiast
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, Porsche 982 GT4

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
981 Cayman S w X73

I've been driving my 2014 981 Cayman S with X73 with 20" Carrera S wheels, PDK, Sport Chrono, K&N filters) since January 2015 and put 106,000 miles on it as my day driver. The low clearance is an issue (I have to go out driveways at an angle), but this is not an insurmountable problem.

I'm fine with the firm ride, and have driven the car between San Diego and San Luis Obispo and Monterey a number of times. It is extremely stable at speed and during cornering. Given the choices you mention, you'd be best off with the X73 car with PDK. It is an excellent day driver, long haul GT car, and canyon-carver.

I plan on selling mine, but I enjoy it so much that it's hard to let it go. I paid $67K, which was a deal on a car with 700 miles that originally cost $77K. Probably could still get $35K for it today.

In April 2023, I finally received the 2023 982 GT4 I ordered from the factory in October 2022. The 982 GT4 is way too soft with the PASM. It did not feel stable at speed. I had the suspension upgraded by True Performance (springs, front and rear links, adjustments), which resolved the handling issues. I'm not sure about upgrading to the Manthey dampers, as the modifications (including adding RS underbody aero, taller rear wing supports, etc.) have the car pretty much perfect now. Probably will wait until the dampers need replacement. PCCB brakes on the GT4 are awesome. I just hope I never break a rotor. Another consideration. If you have PCCBs, you cannot mount 19" wheels. Full PPF was a necessity given the cost of repairing Porsches these days.

I had True Performance build some insulated stainless over-axle pipes and install a JCR valved titanium exhaust. Coupled with sound-proofing deletes to make more space for the roll bar and harnesses, the car booms loudly between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, but is fine below 2,000 rpm and above 3,000 rpm (where it belongs anyway). If you are thinking of doing the exhaust on any Cayman, I'd advise only going with over axle pipes and retaining the stock exhaust (especially if it's a PSE). You'll get most of the power benefit - without being deafened. During our drive to Rennsport Reunion last year, my wife and I had to wear Bose noise-cancelling headphones to make the drive bearable. An upside is that the full carbon bucket seats are actually very comfortable for long drives (more so than the sport seats in my 981S).

All in, I'm north of $190K on the 982 GT4, which makes a used 2016 981 GT4 look almost inexpensive at around $100K. And compare that to the $240K+ that is being asked for a GT4 RS. If the ADM were more reasonable, I'd have ordered and RS, but when I ordered my GT4, dealers wanted $100-150K over MSRP. Dropping the ADM to $45-65K over MSRP still isn't going to motivate me.

For comparison purposes, I also drive a 2009 M3 E92 with Style 359 wheels, DCT, aftermarket carbon aero, smog-legal aFe intake, smog-legal Dinan tune, underdrive pulley, EDC, gutted factory muffler. stainless brake lines, good brake pads, and Michelin Pilot 4S tires. The M3 handles exceptionally well (albeit not as well as the Caymans). Plus, it's a lot more comfortable and practical as a day driver.

My way of dealing with the cost of gas (the S65 motor gets miserable gas mileage) was to have an E85 Flex Fuel system installed. I still get lousy gas mileage, but at least the fuel is a lot cheaper, and provides an octane boost. It doesn't like starting in cold weather, but once warmed up, runs quite smoothly.

The M3, which I bought on BaT for a bit over $25K including fees, with all the modifications, still came in at under $30K, which is a much better deal in terms of dollars. The car already had it the bearings and throttle actuators replaced, and other than replacing a drive shaft U-joint, it has required nothing other than oil changes. It's at 155K miles, of which about 12K I've put on driving it from MD to PA, NY, CT, MA, ME, OH, and IL before shipping it to CA, where I drive it at least 4 days a week, including on long trips for work.

Personally, the best choice for a day driver is the M3, followed by the 981S X73 PDK, and then the GT4 (which really is not all that practical, even though I have commuted and driven it fairly long distances for work meetings just to keep it in good working order).

JMTC
Appreciate 1
MSYm4116.00
      03-15-2024, 02:58 AM   #13
Mid-EngineEnthusiast
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, Porsche 982 GT4

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Rebuilding the gear box on an PDK (or even a manual) is not going to be inexpensive. The motor and transaxle will have to be dropped - meaning pulling the entire rear suspension. When I had the 901 gearbox on my 914/6 rebuilt with short track gears for autocross back in the 1990s, I paid over $3K for the work (labor plus used gear sets the race shop had sitting around).

I recently had the motor mount on my 982 GT4 replaced under warranty. The dealer said if I had to pay for it, then it would have cost over $10K. I guess that's inexpensive compared to a Ferrari (I was told that a gearbox replacement costs $65K on a new one).
Appreciate 0