F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Audi commercials take not so subtle dig at BMW
Extreme Powerhouse

02-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #155
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I wasn't trying to, so my bad if that's how it was perceived. Believe me, I'm with you on that last part.

My point is that there are many on here that just say "BMW rocks...because they do"...and that's it. There's no basis for saying it other than they have one or what have you and that's all that apparently matters. I'm a fan of a lot of makes. But I can't drive them all.

To everyone else...

Realistically, who cares what Audi has for a commercial? Drive whatever the hell you all want, but if you're going to bash another make, at least make some effort to explain why. It's like me saying Tuesday is better than Wednesday. You'd be crazy to think otherwise. Why? Because it is, of course.
Now if you had said that Friday was better than Monday I bet everyone wouldn't doubt that fact.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #156
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

WOW, amazing how many people here think they know it, but hae no clue...
The performance differences are VERY minor, either one is a great performer. The price, on the other hand is...very noticeable. How much for equally equipped "superior" 335is? Is it worth spending extra $6+k to beat the competition by 0.2s??

Anyway, both are great vehicles, both have advantages and disadvantages...

And everyone wants the Bimmer
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #157
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

actually no BMW is not "THE BEST"

It all comes down to what you're looking for.

In my opinion BMW is a performance oriented brand,
where Audi is more luxury oriented.

I sat in a superchipped DSG Golf GTI Edition 30 and drove it up a road from 0 to 100km/hour and the gear shifts were really smooth, like you really were oblivious to it.

Next day my dad & I test drove a a 2009 bmw 335i coupe.
I'm not really sure what happend with it but when he turned into the main road and put his foot down we heard some weird engine noises for a couple seconds as if it was in neutral O_O or something I have no idea, then it stopped and the car zoomed on. The engine noise was definately detectable which is fine if you're into hearing your engine, but could be annoying if you don't. My dads opinion getting out of the car was that it wasn't a very comfortable drive and a lot of road noise came through to the cabin. He also thought as I do that it seemed like more a performance car than a luxury car.

We also test drove an Audi A4 2009 2.7 TDI. In comparison, the engine was quieter (inside, while driving/accelerating), and there was less road noise adding to the comfort / relaxed feeling of the drive.

And another car we test drove was the Passat CC 2009 2.0L TDI. Quite a comfortable feel inside though the leather they use in their seats feels rediculously hard...

Also test drove a mercedes c220 cdi. Absolute shitbox engine. slow and crappy. But driving a C280 (3.0L petrol) later redeemed the c class and was also nice. But jesus christ the dashboard/stereo display is UGLY...

In conclusion I think each brand offers it's own unique advantages. And as earlier, I think BMW is definately more oriented towards Performance Luxury where as Audi I believe is less Performance, more Luxury.

funny all the same though seeing people bashing each other saying one brand > otherbrand
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #158
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

pffft audi only managed to beat bmw in the reviews because audi's respective rivals the 5er and the x3 are at the end of their life cycle. Wait till they test the new f10 5er and the upcoming x3. See who's laughing then.

Although, through a marketing point of view, these ads are great.

T
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #159
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Glorified Volkswagons. BFD. Notice how any BMW commercial never tries to compare a BMW to another brand? Ever notice that every magazine article always mentions BMW as the bench mark?
most intelligent remark on here...BMW does not have to attack other brands...they raise the bar.....and everyone else follows or tries to replicate.
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #160
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Everytime I see a bmw in an audi commercial, it makes me like my bmw even more. Somebody needs to teach audi how to make a commercial because directly naming your competitor is a big no no. What happens when somebody doesnt like the audi on the commercial, they say well lets go right to the person audi is attacking which is bmw.

Both of those commercials show other cars just as much as the audi. Go watch a bmw commercial, all you see is a bimmer. Go watch an audi commercial, all you see is a bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #161
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
most intelligent remark on here...BMW does not have to attack other brands...they raise the bar.....and everyone else follows or tries to replicate.
This is definitely true with regards to niche models, no doubt BMW invent a new class more than any other brand in my opinion. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are solely the brand to raise the bar because this a generally true of most competing brands, i.e. new model appears and is better than the competition.

If the argument was inventing new technology in a car then BMW and Audi would come a very distance 2nd and 3rd (argue among yourselves which brand in which) to that of Mecedes.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #162
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It seems that the recent trend has been to directly attack your competitors. Examples? I have plenty of them: Jack-in-the-Box where he rips off his sleeves and told BK to do something about it; Jack also went to the drive thru of competitors and asked why they don't serve breakfast all day; Domino's pizza attacks Papa John's directly; BK attacking McDonald's; Carl's Jr.'s Big Carl vs the Big Mac; Buick LaCrosse vs Lexus ES; Audi vs BMW; Ford vs every truck; Chevy vs Honda and Toyota; etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #163
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

According to the latest Motor Trend Comparison the last generation E60 535i handed the new Audi, MB, Lexus, Caddy, and infiniti sedans there behind. This despite it being the out going model of BMW pitched against the newer offerings from others.

I am also very confident that the 335is will out perform the S4.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #164
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
It seems that the recent trend has been to directly attack your competitors. Examples? I have plenty of them: Jack-in-the-Box where he rips off his sleeves and told BK to do something about it; Jack also went to the drive thru of competitors and asked why they don't serve breakfast all day; Domino's pizza attacks Papa John's directly; BK attacking McDonald's; Carl's Jr.'s Big Carl vs the Big Mac; Buick LaCrosse vs Lexus ES; Audi vs BMW; Ford vs every truck; Chevy vs Honda and Toyota; etc.
I notice that too...seems like everyone is doing it
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #165
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
hopefully my friend doesnt see this
he finds the smallest things to show to me that shows audi is better than bmw
and he drives an 04 s4
      02-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #166
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
hopefully my friend doesnt see this
he finds the smallest things to show to me that shows audi is better than bmw
and he drives an 04 s4
sounds like he's just trying to make himself feel better..
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #167
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
According to the latest Motor Trend Comparison the last generation E60 535i handed the new Audi, MB, Lexus, Caddy, and infiniti sedans there behind. This despite it being the out going model of BMW pitched against the newer offerings from others.

I am also very confident that the 335is will out perform the S4.

+1 I agree I've been thinking about that all along. The 335is is really going to hand to the s4
      02-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #168
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

BMW did it. They responded to Audi's nonesense with a dumbbbbbb horrible add.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #169
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
A LOT of people buy Mercedes and BMW and Lexus just because they are perceived to be cool. They are status symbols. Members of this site are enthusiasts (I hope at least...) and aren't buying a car simply because its a status symbol. I'm going to guess that 90% of BMW's are bought by people that don't care about performance or how nice the steering feel is or how good the car handles.

The other day I saw a X5 M. So I pulled up to give the driver a thumbs up. It ended up being some middle aged woman driving 5 mph below the speed limit and yapping on her cell phone. And she would accelerate away from lights slower than a kia rio would. Does she really need a 500hp 10mpg suv for the way she drives? No. But its definitely a status symbol to be driving a $100k suv.

MB, BMW, and Lexus are the highest status regular cars you can buy (excepting Porsche and others).

So this is where people who want a status symbol tend to shop. And this is exactly what the Audi commercial pointed out. They simply said they are a different alternative. And by me at least, there are A LOT more BMW's, Benz's, and Lexuses around than Audis. I enjoyed their ads.

Everyone has to remember the views of this forum are completely different than the general public. And Audi's advertisements are aimed at the public. Not the 5% of the population who are enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #170
Master Deep
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
And I'm a car enthusiast. I like cars. I don't dedicate myself to a certain brand. And i'm willing to admit that the A5/S5 is something that makes me stare and drool every time I see one. An E90 and E92 doesn't even make me turn my head. Even the new M3 at this point doesn't make me turn my head anymore. Only the E46 M3 does. If I was buying a new car today, I'd take a 328 over a 2.0t A4. But I'd also definitely take a S4 over a 335.

And the Jaguar XF looks a million times better than the new boring F10 design IMHO.

I compare cars to their competitors and choose the best. I'm not going to say that BMW makes the best in every category /thread. That's just ridiculous now.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #171
Master Deep
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iMIAMI View Post
+1 I agree I've been thinking about that all along. The 335is is really going to hand to the s4
S4 is a sedan. 335is is only coupe and convertible. 2 different categories.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #172
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

just to add a lil fuel to the fire... I came up with this today

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #173
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
You obviously did not see the commercials about BMW taking a not-so-subtle dig at Lexus (the gift wrap ribbon). Or the commercials about people wanting to jump into their BMW and the Audi guy messing up.

And it was Audi who first started attacking all the other luxury brands in the first place...
      02-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #174
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
the butthurt is strong in this thread
You got that right.
      02-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #175