F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New to working on my E90, should I be worried about these things?
proTUNING Freaks

03-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
Cmh413
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

New to working on my E90, should I be worried about these things?

Hey!

I'm 18, and so far I've done a few things to my E90 328i, and broke a couple extra teeny tiny things and want to know if you guys think I should replace theme. In my endeavors for mods I will not list right now, more or less a project under wraps, I was wondering if you would bother with weird things like:
-I stripped one of the bolts and broke the head off on the power steering mounting bracket, definitely doesn't seem worth fixing but what do I know
-Cabin air filter housing clip broke
-Left cowl screw missing bottom nut
-I stripped the top screw point (6mm allen)o my Bilsteins, but they're torqued to spec
-I broke a single clip on my OBD cover

This is more a rant than anything, but do you guys bother with these little things (I'm pretty positive I wanna do the OBD cover regardless because cosmetics) or should I leave everything alone that doesn't affect the car mechanically or cosmetically? I'm sort of going for a top to bottom 'clean build' on this car. I'm replacing stuff like the hood liner, strut mount hardware, gaskets, etc. at the moment so I'm really taking this rehab seriously.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmh413 View Post
Hey!

I'm 18, and so far I've done a few things to my E90 328i, and broke a couple extra teeny tiny things and want to know if you guys think I should replace theme. In my endeavors for mods I will not list right now, more or less a project under wraps, I was wondering if you would bother with weird things like:
-I stripped one of the bolts and broke the head off on the power steering mounting bracket, definitely doesn't seem worth fixing but what do I know
-Cabin air filter housing clip broke
-Left cowl screw missing bottom nut
-I stripped the top screw point (6mm allen)o my Bilsteins, but they're torqued to spec
-I broke a single clip on my OBD cover

This is more a rant than anything, but do you guys bother with these little things (I'm pretty positive I wanna do the OBD cover regardless because cosmetics) or should I leave everything alone that doesn't affect the car mechanically or cosmetically? I'm sort of going for a top to bottom 'clean build' on this car. I'm replacing stuff like the hood liner, strut mount hardware, gaskets, etc. at the moment so I'm really taking this rehab seriously.

If you are going for a clean build then yes. Just depends on if the stuff is going to bother you. Oh and welcome to BMW plastics you'll be forever fixing them.
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #3
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Use a bolt out socket to remove the broken fastener and replace before they get seized in with time. The socket has spiral flutes to grip the bolt
Appreciate 0