F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Runflat Repair Kit
proTUNING Freaks

09-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Runflat Repair Kit

Learned about this (Dynaplug) in the F15 forum. Ordered the pump, repair kit and carry bag. Nice and small and well reviewed on Amazon and elsewhere. AA Batteries are there for size perspective.
Attached Images

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-26-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hope I never have to use them. AA batteries shown for size perspective.
Attached Images

Last edited by MattBianco; 03-11-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Do you mean non-RF repair kit? If you can't see or reach the nail/screw in the tire (ie if it's in the inner rear tire) are you going to carry a latex tire sealer in the vehicle? If so which one?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Do you mean non-RF repair kit? If you can't see or reach the nail/screw in the tire (ie if it's in the inner rear tire) are you going to carry a latex tire sealer in the vehicle? If so which one?
They claim it works with run flats:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Hybri.../dp/B000EXSER4 "Dynaplug repairs can be made on run flat tires and tires with the tire pressure monitoring sensors."
Re invisible flats, I intend to pump, wait 5 minutes to see if the leak is fast or not. If I can drive, I will get myself to a place to get it fixed. If not and as a last resort, a bottle of sealant, which I was told are all water-based latex these days (have not verified), for easier cleaning.

If you have recommendations, please send them. Flats are dreadful.
      09-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your fooling yourself in thinking you will be able to "fix" your flat tire on the side of the road. I've had two flat tires in the last four years. Its not fun. But only real solution is to carry a spare tire and bmw jack kit.

When I had my first flat near the 'Ring(some 500 km's away from my home) I had a bmw mini spare tire. Even the guy from BMW assist said not to use the glue kit he carried. Because it will unbalance and make the trip home unbearable. Too much vibrations. Instead, I mounted my mini spare. And I hated it! 3.5 spare vs 8.5 wheel on the rear of the car. So much fish tailing and squirming around - even without getting on the throttle. Luckily, a friend lent me one of his winter tires, and I limped home at 135 mph!

Those mini spare tire's are only designed for short trips 45 mph and 45 miles. So it would have been trashed by the time I got back home. Or worse, also blow out.

The next week, I ordered a steel 17" winter wheel and a cheap summer tire. Its the only real solution. That is what I carry in the back of my 135i

Name:  spare tire 17 inch steel wheel from a 330i e46  MG_5306.jpg
Views: 5756
Size:  150.8 KB
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your fooling yourself in thinking you will be able to "fix" your flat tire on the side of the road. I've had two flat tires in the last four years. Its not fun. But only real solution is to carry a spare tire and bmw jack kit.
I am in agreement with you. I don't believe there is road-side fix for a flat. However, I have seen the plugs (other brands) work effectively on regular tubeless tires, providing a near permanent solution. If these, claimed to be effective on run flat tires, even provide a bridge that is a few hours long, they would be worthwhile.

Regarding sealants and fillers....that is where I have my greatest doubt and see them as a last resort (bad weather, help hours away, worth running the TPMS for etc.) option only.

All these said, a few years ago my R500 picked up a flat, and it was one half of a a pair of scissors -a whole blade. No surgery, plug, sealant or tire shop could do anything about that. Realistically, I am looking at options that provide a 1-24 hour relief.

I am very interested in your input, other than carrying a spare. For my use, it is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks.
      09-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@MattBianco ... there is no way your gonna get a needle past the belts in a run flat tire. I remember holding this RFT vs normal tire model at my German BMW dealer a few years back. The RFT was like three times the weight and you could not budge(move) the belts. Have a look...

Run Flat tires vs Normal tires - dealer cut away carcass...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412903
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
@MattBianco ... there is no way your gonna get a needle past the belts in a run flat tire. I remember holding this RFT vs normal tire model at my German BMW dealer a few years back. The RFT was like three times the weight and you could not budge(move) the belts. Have a look...

Run Flat tires vs Normal tires - dealer cut away carcass...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412903
I plan to lift a lot of weights and strengthen my arm. That is one thick tire in that link. Really, I am hoping, as I said in my post, that I will never have to use these. It looks like you need an electric drill to get through the belt.

Do you think where there is a hole, there might be chance to slide a plug in? They are supposed to be lubricated and the manufacturer claims if the hole is big, to use two plugs, and that the second plug always goes in easier due to the lubrication from the first.

Last edited by MattBianco; 03-11-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
It looks like you need an electric drill to get through the belt.
That is what the coring/reaming bit is for. Make sure there is air in the tire before attempting--a deflated tire will have too much give.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

With a puncture so minute and deflated tire, you'd have to be Superman to hand-push that Dynaplug through the run-flat tire, let alone have enough leverage to push it through.

May need to carry a drill with a drill bit set just in case

survival kit:
-dynaplug
-air inflator
-drill with drill bits
-can of sealant
-spare tire?
-really huge arms
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Should give you some idea how rigid the RFT's are, they are not even fully inflated, yet they hold their shape even when hanging just by the edge of the sidewall.
I think it's better to carry a space saver spare instead of assuming these repair kits will work.

02-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
-really huge arms
So, I thought just having really huge arms solves every problem and I get the girls, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I am in the space saver spare camp. I was able to jack up the car and the spare in about 15 minutes. Also, If you put a plug in or enlarge the hole, it may prevent you from doing a proper internal repair (recommended method) later.

Just and FYI - you can use the same lug bolts on the space saver as on the regular wheel without causing damage.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I just wanted to chime in on this, you do not need to be that strong to push a dynaplug through a tire, the channel has already been made if you are in need to do it.. Pull the screw/nail and fill the void with the plug. I have fixed a winter runflat on my 328i (2years ago and it is still going strong) with a cheap tire plug kit (before I heard about Dynaplug) and it was a breeze. But I also have alot of faith in the original BMW mobility kit with and without runflats. The mobility kit has got me home and to the tire shop and it was a simple hose out of the plug fluid so they could perform a proper plugging of the tire. They didn't like the smell of the stuff but were still happy to take my money for the proper patch job. The official mobility kit (same chemical as the conti kit) is TPMS sensor safe. I would not hesitate to use it again when the need arrises. I do also carry a dynaplug kit just in case. One thing that I also learned is that Conti makes the mobility kit for lots of car companies and each one puts their logo on the pump and bottles but are tipically the same as the BMW parts so if you need a mobility kit refil, look for Hyundai refill kits.. They are normally about $20 cheaper per bottle than the one with the BMW logo on it. Bottom line, do what you need to do to get home!

Last edited by david in germany; 02-08-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #15
Meteorbs
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

I suggest using the lug bolts, which will protect the wheel.
...I have to check the fog light now, it doesn't work well.
      02-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #16
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

This is the one I keep in my "get me home bag"
http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultra...words=dynaplug.

Along with about 5 extra plugs.
Appreciate 0