F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > *BREAKING* Sony Cancels 'The Interview' Release after Major Theater Chains Pull Out!
GetBMWParts

12-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
The US produces more oil than anyone in the world right now. I don't think we bomb countries for their oil...
Funniest thing I've read all week.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #24
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup
So do we think there will ever be a chance of it being released on normal rental or something down the road then?
It'll probably get leaked by the hackers on its intended release date, lol. I was actually going to see it in theaters.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Part of me feels this is some kind of gimmick.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Uh, that's already happened.

As for Sony cancelling it, definitely a bitch move but I can't say I care too much. The movie looked a little silly. Besides, what'd they think would happen when you made a movie about killing Kim Jong Un?
I meant the execs from the theater chains, not Sony.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup
So do we think there will ever be a chance of it being released on normal rental or something down the road then?
It'll probably get leaked by the hackers on its intended release date, lol. I was actually going to see it in theaters.
Actually, they don't want anyone to see the movie so I doubt they'll leak it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Actually, they don't want anyone to see the movie so I doubt they'll leak it.
Well I hope it get's out at some point, I kind of wanted to see it, and I don't really say that about many movies that come out these days.

Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I heard there will be a combo disk with the Interview and some of the drawings of Mohamed available for Christmas, at least down by the garment district.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

I hope South Park recreates it. Gives half the proceeds to Sony.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation

Here it is folks.... THE reason why SONY was hacked and threatened them and theaters with violence! #gimmeabreak

Watch Kim Jong-un's Death Scene from "The Interview" | Complex
      12-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Part of me feels this is some kind of gimmick.
I think so too. Say you aren't going to show the movie, have people freak out, "decide" to show it anyway due to popular demand, watch people pour into the theaters.

If not, then why the good fuck are we taking anything that North Korea says seriously, a dynasty built entirely on making promises that couldn't be kept? This is a country so poor that people eat bark off the trees and newspaper, yet has been completely uncooperative with any efforts to correct this for the preservation of their precious (and hilarious) military posturing. Their "economy" is basically run on making threats. Acknowledging these threats by pulling the film gives credibility to those making them when what we should be doing is collectively forcing them to get their shit together.

So fuck you, Kim Jong Un, for using your own starving people to extort yet more for yourself. Fuck your short high-heel-wearing inbred family and your shitty dynasty and fuck your third world non-country too.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I could see if it were a "compromising situation" prior to the death scene!

Say... He was in bed with a pair of tranny prostitutes tossing salads, and then all of a sudden, A giant Panda Bear busts down the door with a flame thrower and roasts them all or some shit.
      12-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I could see if it were a "compromising situation" prior to the death scene!

Say... He was in bed with a pair of tranny prostitutes tossing salads, and then all of a sudden, A giant Panda Bear busts down the door with a flame thrower and roasts them all or some shit.
I'd pay $8 just to see that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #35
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #36
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I meant the execs from the theater chains, not Sony.
Ah gotcha. I think they just canceled showing the movie because it looks like shit anyway and they'd rather not carry what little risk of violence happening due to potential legal liabilities and reduction in turnout.

In preliminary screenings the movie was generally not received very well.

Everyone can get upset if they want, I meanwhile will enjoy the hilarity of this entire situation. Because Sony Pictures, a multi-billion dollar corporation, kept a list of sensitive passwords in a directory called "Passwords", they were able to suffer an immense breach in cyber security resulting in giving credibility into a bunch of bumfuck North Korean hackers, typing away in dark rooms on computers that must be God knows how old and/or crappy, allowing Sony and US Theater companies to be intimidated by their comical hyperbolic threats.

And, should military action ever occur (highly doubtful), I'd probably laugh even more because it would mean that a Seth Rogan film has literally started a military conflict.

Last edited by fecurtis; 12-18-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #37
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Because Sony Pictures, a multi-billion dollar corporation, kept a list of sensitive passwords in a directory called "Passwords"

Where did you hear about this particular detail? Everything I've read about the hack hasn't detailed how the hack occurred.
      12-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #38
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Where did you hear about this particular detail? Everything I've read about the hack hasn't detailed how the hack occurred.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-Password.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-...folder-2014-12

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/05/sony-hack-update/

Quote:
As for what was stolen from Sony's computers, the answer would be a lot. A GOP spokesperson told us in the past that they possess terabytes of data taken from Sony's machines. Within the past few days, they've made good on their threat to release sensitive info if Sony doesn't acquiesce to their (rather vague) demands of equality. And some of the recent files they distributed contain Sony's IT data, such as SecurID tokens and certificates, along with a directory labeled "Passwords," full of, well, passwords for major movies' social media accounts.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #39
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]

Thanks for the links. It makes me wonder if it was a severe oversight on part of the IT department, or if it was end users in charge of the social media accounts creating these documents with account and password information because they can't commit them to memory.
​​
      12-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

A theater in Texas has said that they will be screening Team America in its place.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
The US produces more oil than anyone in the world right now. I don't think we bomb countries for their oil...
Ask the middle east about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #42
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:

Everyone can get upset if they want, I meanwhile will enjoy the hilarity of this entire situation. Because Sony Pictures, a multi-billion dollar corporation, kept a list of sensitive passwords in a directory called "Passwords", they were able to suffer an immense breach in cyber security resulting in giving credibility into a bunch of bumfuck North Korean hackers, typing away in dark rooms on computers that must be God knows how old and/or crappy, allowing Sony and US Theater companies to be intimidated by their comical hyperbolic threats.

And, should military action ever occur (highly doubtful), I'd probably laugh even more because it would mean that a Seth Rogan film has literally started a military conflict.
I agree the underlying message is corporations have been slacking on cyber security for a long time. I have read many articles where security experts keep warning of the danger companies are in and by default the general public. It's plain laziness. You would think after Target, Home Depot, and others have been hacked, changes would be made.

Sony is a victim of a crime, but if one of use left a brand new M car in a sketchy neighborhood unlocked with the keys in it; would anyone really feel bad for the person?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #43
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
A theater in Texas has said that they will be screening Team America in its place.
NOT anymore!

Now THIS:

Team America: World Police Screenings Canceled by Paramount

Quote:
This is why we can’t have nice things when people give into terrorism. Terrorism wants us to be afraid, and fear causes people to make bad decisions. Movie theaters—places where people are already reluctant to go for a variety of reasons—pulled The Interview following non-credible threats from the cyber-terrorists who attacked Sony. Sony subsequently canceled the film’s release, and after slightly mulling over a VOD release, decided against it with no further plans for release (passing on VOD may have been a way to collect on the insurance). These are bad decisions that can set a dangerous precedent and ramifications. We already saw a glimpse of it yesterday with New Regency canceling the Gore Verbinski comedy Pyongyang.

The Alamo Drafthouse responded to being unable to show The Interview by making the good decision to show another comedy that poked fun at North Korea, Team America: World Police, a film that holds up on its own merits, not just because it’s become timely. But now Paramount Pictures is shutting down screenings; screenings that would tell terrorists, “We will not let you control what we are and aren’t allowed to watch. We don’t live in your shithole country.” Hit the jump for more.

Yesterday, the Alamo Drafthouse Dallas/Fort Worth location scheduled Team America: World Police, but now they’ve tweeted that the screening set for December 27th has been canceled:

Due to to circumstances beyond our control, the TEAM AMERICA 12/27 screening has been cancelled. We apologize & will provide refunds today.

— Alamo Drafthouse DFW (AlamoDFW) December 18, 2014

This isn’t just contained to the Alamo Drafthouse DFW, which is part of the Drafthouse chain of theaters. The Plaza Atlanta is an independently owned theater, and they were also planning to show Team America, but that screening has been canceled by Paramount as well along with the one set for the Capitol Theater in Cleveland, Ohio:

Breaking Plaza news : Team America World Police pulled from all theatres as per Paramount Pictures .

— Plaza Atlanta (PlazaAtlanta) December 18, 2014

Please note: Our Late Shift screening of Team America: World Police has been canceled by Paramount Pictures. pic.twitter.com/TlPVzIeICW

— Capitol Theatre (CapitolW65th) December 18, 2014

This is the domino effect. The terrorists didn’t directly threaten Paramount, the company that owns Team America. In fear, you do the terrorists’ work for them. You overcompensate so that you can prepare for an attack that hasn’t even been mentioned let alone one that’s remotely credible. And helping these terrorists engage in censorship is a bad decision.
      12-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #44
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Yes... about Ben Franklin again...