F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Why are we considered by drivers and parkers?
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Question Why are we considered by drivers and parkers?

I don't drive like an ass or park like one. Seems like everyone wants to call us asshats, I had a customer of mine today tell me that all bmw drivers are aggressive. I think thats a gross generalization.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee

Last edited by osxcode; 09-17-2013 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

As a BMW owner, I do think that more than other manufactuer's owners, BMW owners are more aggressive/douchbaggy.

That being said, there are tons of awesome BMW owners I've met and become friends with. But, if there is a person driving a car on the road that's driving as if it's entitled to cut you off, roll through a stop sign, peel out at a green light, etc. I would guess that it's a BMW
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I'm aggressive when the situation dictates and that's in any car I've driven. I will admit though, I do feel a bit more empowered driving a BMW! But, I'd bet that these same people that assign these monikers too us would become aggressive too if their asses were sitting in a Beemer.
      09-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Carmen SanDiego
Rep
Drives: 135i

The people driving and parking like asshats would be that way no matter the vehicle they drive. The problem is that they buy BMW's as status symbols because they feel it makes them a bad ass and so they do whatever they can to draw attention to themselves and flaunt their purchase. That's my theory at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Because with a BMW you can. You can do some things that most of the cars can't. Because you know that you can do it, so you are doing it.
I am not an agressive driver but I am fast. However, if people signal their intention I am very polite and regardless I don't like to brake, I do it. I also allow others to get in trafic when they can't. However, I am not a nice guy when you cut my line and you make me brake because you are a smart a$$, or when you try to get in regardless you have a "yeld" sign. In other words I am nice if you are nice and I am not nice when you are not nice. Respect if you want respect.
I use the signal anytime regardless how fast I am going, it is a part of the beautiful act of driving. A good driver must know how to drive elegant and blend beautiful in traffic. And I watched the BMW owners lately and they do use the signal, but I think that some people just don't want to see it.
The main problem is that many drivers become agressive when they see a BMW, out of the blue they want to be better, they have something to prove. Usually, that ends with a humiliating situation for them, and that just help increase their hate towards BMW. But that is their problem not ours, right?
I am driving in the same manner all the time, regardless of the car, bavarian, english or japanese.
People just see us diferent because that is what they want to see.
But heck, let them be, they must exist too...

Last edited by Teutonic; 09-21-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

I’m an aggressive driver in general even behind the wheel of a minivan but i’m still polite to other motorists and in no way an asshole about it. with that being said i do notice that i’m a little more aggressive when i’m driving my 328i compared to when driving my c63.

Last edited by gtman; 09-21-2013 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Because with a BMW you can. You can do some things that most of the cars can't. Because you know that you can do it, so you are doing it.
I am not an agressive driver but I am fast. However, if people signal their intention I am very polite and regardless I don't like to brake, I do it. I also allow others to get in trafic when they can't. However, I am not a nice guy when you cut my line and you make me brake because you are a smart a$$, or when you try to get in regardless you have a "yeld" sign. In other words I am nice if you are nice and I am not nice when you are not nice. Respect if you want respect.
I use the signal anytime regardless how fast I am going, it is a part of the beautiful act of driving. A good driver must know how to drive elegant and blend beautiful in traffic. And I watched the BMW owners lately and they do use the signal, but I think that some people just don't want to see it.
The main problem is that many drivers become agressive when they see a BMW, out of the blue they want to be better, they have something to prove. Usually, that ends with a humiliating situation for them, and that just help increase their hate towards BMW. But that is their problem not ours, right?
I am driving in the same manner all the time, regardless of the car, bavarian, english or japanese.
People just see us diferent because that is what they want to see.
But heck, let them be, they must exist too...
Stop reading my mind!! lol

Very well said. like a poet.
      09-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Stop reading my mind!! lol

Very well said. like a poet.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
I don't drive like an ass or park like one. Seems like everyone wants to call us asshats, I had a customer of mine today tell me that all bmw drivers are aggressive. I think thats a gross generalization.
You seem like a really classy guy with your 7s, maybe one of the most classy on this forum. It's just a generalization; some of my friend's are somewhat racist but I've seen very polite and dignified members of that race, and there are also gangsters/criminals of that race. Strive to be hat you want BMW drivers to be represented as.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
satrenidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

I will admit though, I do feel a bit more empowered driving a BMW!
      09-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtman View Post
I’m an aggressive driver in general even behind the wheel of a minivan but i’m still polite to other motorists and in no way an asshole about it. with that being said i do notice that i’m a little more aggressive when i’m driving my 328i compared to when driving my c63.
Barrington, go figure...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the fact is that BMW drivers are often assholes. 'type A personalities' maybe? I got aggressively cut off by at least 5 different BMWs today in my 2 day old 135is. is that a 'welcome to the club' act? or just a blatant disregard? I dunno. but a lot of douchey people buy BMWs-----that's what happens when you offer great lease rates
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

saw a guy in a convertible 5.0 today. total douchebag haha
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

You get what you give.

Guilt by association is a fact.

There are a lot of other things wrong with the world today, idiots on the road just doesn't rate that high. The more it gets to you, the more you become part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the fact is that BMW drivers are often assholes. 'type A personalities' maybe? I got aggressively cut off by at least 5 different BMWs today in my 2 day old 135is. is that a 'welcome to the club' act? or just a blatant disregard? I dunno. but a lot of douchey people buy BMWs-----that's what happens when you offer great lease rates
It is weird. Right after I got my BMW, it seemed like every guy driving a BMW near me wanted to race me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I'm not sure its due to 'type A personalities' but it does seem there are lot of asses and douches that are associated with BMWs, especially the 3 series. You can clearly see them represented on this forum. Actually, that's a good idea for a future poll "vote for your favorite ass or douche"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

I remember being at a work thing with a coworker from SF. I as at the valet. She saw a few BMWs come up and says to me "BMW drivers are such assholes" Then a black one comes up and she says "especially if they drive a black one" Then I got in it. She sent me an email apologizing. I told her not worry. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
You've got a nice fleet of 7's on your hand, and from what I've seen, more people cruise like ballers in a 7 series. Unfortunately for you, because of the white props and blue sky on the front of your car, you get classified with the rest of us the group that are (asshats). I'll include myself, but I drive spiritedly in every car/bike I've owned, but I've noticed more dirty looks in my base BMW than my old Jap car. At the same point in time, I let people merge, turn out of what would be a blocked parking lot, etc., but that doesn't deter how the general population views the brand any less or more.

If you can't beat em, join em. You need to start being an ass like the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
I know a lot of jerks with BMWs growing up. Frankly, I hated BMW for most my life and the idea of buying one made me sick because I didn't want to be "one of them".

Now I am "one of them". I'm an asshat. I say "I'm driving a bmw so its ok to be an asshat". I consciously think it when I cut someone off, or take up two parking spots. I do things in my BMW I would never do in my corvette or pickup truck. I don't mind giving BMW owners a bad name because most BMW owners I know are asshats too. They are obnoxious, think they are better than everyone, and act like it.

When in rome, do as the romans do.

Every car has their stereotypes. When people find out my wife's husband has a corvette they think she married some real old guy, when really I'm just a year older than her. When I was looking at Maserati's, I can't tell you how many people told me I "don't have a stuck up my butt enough to drive one of those things". When we were looking for a car for distance traveling (I'll often travel hundreds of miles a day for work) we looked at a Dodge Dart, and my wife said, "I don't want people to think of us as rednecks". We had a tough time looking for cars because while we love the BMW, we hate the way people look at us, treat us, and draw conclusions about us for driving one.

So I guess in short, there are a lot of "asshat" BMW drivers. That doesn't mean you are. It doesn't mean most people on here are. In fact, I would disrespect BMW owners any time I could until I met some that raced with me who WEREN'T asshats. Then I became an owner, but once I became an owner, I became an asshat (but only in the BMW).

When it comes down to it, no matter what you drive, people are going to draw conclusions. You've got to drive what you love, and ignore everyone else- you can't control them!

Side note, I never heard of the word asshat before and I just used it about 50 times.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #21
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

On a maybe similar note, when I got my Z4MR, I got so sick of talking about my car with uninformed car people. I'd be at a family dinner or something and someone would ask "so, what's new?" and then my girlfriend would say "why don't you tell them about your new car?" Each time, the conversation would go like this.

Me: Well, I just traded in my car a couple weeks ago.
Them: Oh? What did you get?
Me: A BMW Z4M Roadster.
Them: Wow! A BMW?! (insert some smart ass joke or comment about how rich I must be or whatever)
Me: Well, it's used. And it's 7 years old so it was pretty reasonably priced. Actually, it was cheaper than what I paid for the new Volkswagen I bought previously.
Them: (some comment about how expensive BMWs are, and how usually rich/snobby people drive BMWs)

After this happened a few times I told my girlfriend to never bring up me trading in my car ever again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
I know a lot of jerks with BMWs growing up. Frankly, I hated BMW for most my life and the idea of buying one made me sick because I didn't want to be "one of them".

Now I am "one of them". I'm an asshat. I say "I'm driving a bmw so its ok to be an asshat". I consciously think it when I cut someone off, or take up two parking spots. I do things in my BMW I would never do in my corvette or pickup truck. I don't mind giving BMW owners a bad name because most BMW owners I know are asshats too. They are obnoxious, think they are better than everyone, and act like it.

When in rome, do as the romans do.

Every car has their stereotypes. When people find out my wife's husband has a corvette they think she married some real old guy, when really I'm just a year older than her. When I was looking at Maserati's, I can't tell you how many people told me I "don't have a stuck up my butt enough to drive one of those things". When we were looking for a car for distance traveling (I'll often travel hundreds of miles a day for work) we looked at a Dodge Dart, and my wife said, "I don't want people to think of us as rednecks". We had a tough time looking for cars because while we love the BMW, we hate the way people look at us, treat us, and draw conclusions about us for driving one.

So I guess in short, there are a lot of "asshat" BMW drivers. That doesn't mean you are. It doesn't mean most people on here are. In fact, I would disrespect BMW owners any time I could until I met some that raced with me who WEREN'T asshats. Then I became an owner, but once I became an owner, I became an asshat (but only in the BMW).

When it comes down to it, no matter what you drive, people are going to draw conclusions. You've got to drive what you love, and ignore everyone else- you can't control them!

Side note, I never heard of the word asshat before and I just used it about 50 times.
Wait a second, you take up 2 parking spaces for your 330ci?

I got in a debate about this the other day with some friends. They saw some riced out Honda taking up 2 parking spots in a lot. They were like "if it was a supercar, I'd understand, but not for a Honda!" I didn't agree. IMO it doesn't matter if you are driving a Ferrari, BMW, or Honda. Unless you are at a car show or something, you are allotted a single parking space per car. My friends were like "but you're saying that you would park a Ferrari in a spot in this lot and risk getting door dings?". No. If I was driving a Ferrari I wouldn't bring it out to park in a lot like that where I can't get a single good parking spot (end spot or similar).

I don't drive a supercar but for the "nice" cars I've had, I would never take them out to park in a lot where I'd have to take 2 spots to avoid being next to another car. I always would just park in a single end spot or far away from others and never had any problems.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50