F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Maintenance Plan NOT transferable after July 1, 2014
Extreme Powerhouse

06-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
sharkfighter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I've already paid for the car but don't pick it up until the 1st -- I think I've bought it already, right? Fun lawsuit for the future.
It says sold or leased by July 1st not delivered by July 1st
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I think this is really stupid. I doubt I'll be affected, but it's the principle of it all.

Also, for those thinking it's going to SIGNIFICANTLY affect resale, I wouldn't worry. People will still buy them. If you can't afford an oil change (and I've done mine more frequently than recommended) or brake job - you shouldn't be buying these cars anyway. Most people forget that you can't just "afford the car". You need to be able to afford to maintain it. My .02
I disagree......depending on your definition of "significant."

This will affect many people who buy a BMW new going forward ESPECIALLY an M car and those who want to sell/turn in their cars in the 1-3 year range.

My last car was a lightly used 2008 M5 which I never would have bought had free maintenance not been transferrable. Oil changes alone in my M5 would have been $200 each. I would have had to shell out about $2500 more in the first year of ownership in my scenario (brakes needed replacing too). I could have afforded it but I was already on the fence about other options. This would have changed my mind.

Even if people can still afford M cars, it doesn't mean people will still buy them as frequently vs. an alternative. Why would someone want to buy a lightly used M-car that is going to have a $2000 brake replacement needed in 6-12 months versus a comparable car they were strongly considering that covers it under maintenance?

Your opinion on whether or not people should or shouldn't buy an M car if they can't afford it is irrelevant. They do anyway, and those that couldn't really afford it to begin with or those who were borderline being able to afford it now may bail knowing that their cost of ownership in their first 2 years might be up to $2000-$3000+ or more (oil, brakes, etc.).

All of the above is going to drive down demand, which in turn will drive down the price people are willing to pay for used BMWs. This in turn will hurt every new BMW owner's pocket books if they're selling their car after 1-3 years, or have to turn in a lease after 3 years (residual drops).

This really sucks for new BMW owners who like to sell their cars early/often, those who prefer to buy their cars used (like myself) so we don't take the big depreciation hits in the early years, and those who were barely able to get into the BMW brand/car type they wanted to begin with who might have to look elsewhere now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

That's pretty lame
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nothing but cost cutting. Sure different owners will treat the cars a bit different, but the total warranty cost of a vehicle is very unlikely to change due to an change in ownership. This just gives BMW an easy way to cut many warranties short and save money. A very crappy consumer unfriendly policy. Thanks BMW...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #27
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Nothing but cost cutting. Sure different owners will treat the cars a bit different, but the total warranty cost of a vehicle is very unlikely to change due to an change in ownership. This just gives BMW an easy way to cut many warranties short and save money. A very crappy consumer unfriendly policy. Thanks BMW...
I agree wholeheartedly. I will now never buy a 1-3 year old BMW. I will now also probably not buy a new BMW, knowing that I can't sell it to someone else with a warranty within 1-4 years.

Extremely poor decision BMW, you are supposed to be "different," being one of the few to offer No maintenance guarantee. I might as well buy a Toyota or Honda at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfighter View Post
It says sold or leased by July 1st not delivered by July 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I've already paid for the car but don't pick it up until the 1st -- I think I've bought it already, right? Fun lawsuit for the future.
Since you paid for your car already, when does your 4-year warranty start then, when you paid in full, or when the car is delivered to you?
      06-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
I disagree......depending on your definition of "significant."

This will affect many people who buy a BMW new going forward ESPECIALLY an M car and those who want to sell/turn in their cars in the 1-3 year range.

My last car was a lightly used 2008 M5 which I never would have bought had free maintenance not been transferrable. Oil changes alone in my M5 would have been $200 each. I would have had to shell out about $2500 more in the first year of ownership in my scenario (brakes needed replacing too). I could have afforded it but I was already on the fence about other options. This would have changed my mind.

Even if people can still afford M cars, it doesn't mean people will still buy them as frequently vs. an alternative. Why would someone want to buy a lightly used M-car that is going to have a $2000 brake replacement needed in 6-12 months versus a comparable car they were strongly considering that covers it under maintenance?

Your opinion on whether or not people should or shouldn't buy an M car if they can't afford it is irrelevant. They do anyway, and those that couldn't really afford it to begin with or those who were borderline being able to afford it now may bail knowing that their cost of ownership in their first 2 years might be up to $2000-$3000+ or more (oil, brakes, etc.).

All of the above is going to drive down demand, which in turn will drive down the price people are willing to pay for used BMWs. This in turn will hurt every new BMW owner's pocket books if they're selling their car after 1-3 years, or have to turn in a lease after 3 years (residual drops).

This really sucks for new BMW owners who like to sell their cars early/often, those who prefer to buy their cars used (like myself) so we don't take the big depreciation hits in the early years, and those who were barely able to get into the BMW brand/car type they wanted to begin with who might have to look elsewhere now.
I knew someone would use an E60 or E92, but those arent comparable in terms of maintenance costs. Oil changes in the F8x are WAY cheaper than the s85 and s65 because there is no more req. for 10w60 and much smaller engine. With DCT downshifts and 6MT, these brakes should last a long while. I've never had to do more than pads on an M car- and that was only on my e46. The E92 had most its pad life left when i sold it (It was a '12), so I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it all 4 years with no change. I used track pads for track use.

And as a side note...If someone wants an 80K car and can't afford the maintenance within the 1st of 2nd year of ownership, then they should be looking for a different car. Let's be honest here.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I will now never buy a 1-3 year old BMW. I will now also probably not buy a new BMW, knowing that I can't sell it to someone else with a warranty within 1-4 years.

Extremely poor decision BMW, you are supposed to be "different," being one of the few to offer No maintenance guarantee. I might as well buy a Toyota or Honda at this point.
It's not warranty...it's maintenance! ummmmmm.....read, people.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
So for 2015 cars like the new M3 and M4 delivered before July 1st their Maintenance Program coverage is still transferable? If true, it would be a good reason to buy the launch cars in the next ten days, second sticker notwithstanding.
I'm thinking the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

How much is maintenance in 4 years? $1000, $2000? You think this is going to hurt resale .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
How much is maintenance in 4 years? $1000, $2000? You think this is going to hurt resale .
Exactly, an annual oil change @ $140 (we'll say 6 of those in 4 years). Wiper blades. Cabin air filter x 2, engine air filter x 2. I didn't even change my brake pads in those 4 years.

So yeah, probably around $1000-1500.

While that's not that much spread out over a few years as an owner of a $65k car, likewise, it's a very cheap move by BMW to pull this.

Not that it's going to effect me, I'm going to be the first owner anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #34
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Exactly, an annual oil change @ $140 (we'll say 6 of those in 4 years). Wiper blades. Cabin air filter x 2, engine air filter x 2. I didn't even change my brake pads in those 4 years.

While that's not that much spread out over a few years as an owner of a $65k car, likewise, it's a very cheap move by BMW to pull this.

Agreed. Thank you for logical input.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #35
IS350
Rep

Quote:

My E92 M3 got rotors and pads replaced which I'm told is a $2000 job. I also just got spark plugs, rear differential fluid, oil change and cabin filter done, I was told that would've been another roughly $1500- $2000. Had I been the second owner and Bmw asked me to pay out-of-pocket, I would've preferred not to. So for me, if ever a secondhand buyer, I would consider the maintenance costs a little more closely.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #36
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
My E92 M3 got rotors and pads replaced which I'm told is a $2000 job. I also just got spark plugs, rear differential fluid, oil change and cabin filter done, I was told that would've been another roughly $1500- $2000. Had I been the second owner and Bmw asked me to pay out-of-pocket, I would've preferred not to. So for me, if ever a secondhand buyer, I would consider the maintenance costs a little more closely.
Well, it does depend on how many miles you put on in those 4 years and did hear the E9X was tough on the brakes. I've had my 135 for nearly 6 years and I'm still on stock (performance) rotors and pads. Spark plugs + labor is around $300. So again, that's closer to the $1500 side.

But I will agree with you, if you need all 4 corners of your brakes replaced, that's easily the #1 spot where the maint program really pays dividends. For everything else, it's nice to have.

Don't let me confuse though, I think this is a cheap move by BMW. It won't effect me, but I don't think it would sway my decision to buy a 2nd hand BMW either (as long as it's still in warranty).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #37
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Agree with you on the brake job, but you were quoted very high for the rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #38
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
It's not warranty...it's maintenance! ummmmmm.....read, people.
good point, i thought maintenance is what they called the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #39
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the same pricing a BMW Finance guy tried to justify to me when I bought my 1er and declined extra maintenance. I don't know about the M3, but you can get genuine BMW rotors for $500, and pads front/rear for $300, and swap the whole lot in about two hours of labor. So maybe that's $2,000 at the stealership, but in my garage it's not even half that.

Secondary point, if the maintenance isn't transferrable, I'm assuming either the cost of purchasing the extended maintenance will be cheaper or BMW will pay for it there by selling less of those.
      06-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #40
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Don't need it and I'm fully capable of doing all routine maint on my cars, BUT...

Reallly cheap/lame move by BMW. First cutting enthusiast models to make room for more econoboxes and urban assault vehicles, then cutting R&D, then cutting transferable maintenance.

What's next? Non-transferable warranties. That is what is next. As it is, my service center feels more like a Honda service dept than it used to. I use Honda as an example as it was the manufacturer of my last car and the horrible memories of their service dept are still vivid.
      06-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #41
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
That's the same pricing a BMW Finance guy tried to justify to me when I bought my 1er and declined extra maintenance. I don't know about the M3, but you can get genuine BMW rotors for $500, and pads front/rear for $300, and swap the whole lot in about two hours of labor. So maybe that's $2,000 at the stealership, but in my garage it's not even half that.

Secondary point, if the maintenance isn't transferrable, I'm assuming either the cost of purchasing the extended maintenance will be cheaper or BMW will pay for it there by selling less of those.
Thx for the DIY pricing. But considering the dealerships inflated service, it's even more rewarding to have it done for free.

Good point about the extended maintenance plans price reduction, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #42
IS350
Rep

A sales associate told me it could be transferred for a small fee. I'm curious how much, and I asked by email. Perhaps she was confusing this with the CPO warranty and its $200 warranty transfer fee?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #43
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Time to go back to Cadillac

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #44
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:

I tend to agree. It's a $1,200 to $2,500 dollar item depending on the car. It will have some impact on resale, although that was already built into the market price frankly. So resale goes down $1,500 on a two or three year old vehicle and now the buyer purchases said option for $2,000 so the real impact is somewhat small on the overall market. It might hurt initial ownersip a tiny bit but I bet it's barely noticeable.

It will have an impact on total cost of ownership which some folks, myself included use as part of their decision making process.

All in all, it's a bad PR move by BMW but I bet it doesn't amount to much where the rubber meets the road.
Appreciate 0