F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2022, 05:10 PM   #3037
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Finally got a wifi adapter and can log. My laptop battery would die before the car even got warm.

Here are a few mini pulls. Bm3 stage 2+ e50 map, e52 blend, dorch stg2 pump, cg catted dp.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...0b43298cbc1914
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...0b43298cbc196b
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...729b6568880746

Thoughts on these? Seems good, but I might go swap the coil/plug/injector out of cyl5 ...

I did get a little break up in 5th gear last night. I think something's up with something in the engine or the electronics somewhere or the tune just needs a little cleanup.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 07:29 PM   #3038
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Finally got a wifi adapter and can log. My laptop battery would die before the car even got warm.

Here are a few mini pulls. Bm3 stage 2+ e50 map, e52 blend, dorch stg2 pump, cg catted dp.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...0b43298cbc1914
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...0b43298cbc196b
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6337...729b6568880746

Thoughts on these? Seems good, but I might go swap the coil/plug/injector out of cyl5 ...

I did get a little break up in 5th gear last night. I think something's up with something in the engine or the electronics somewhere or the tune just needs a little cleanup.
Your boost pressure deviation is way too large after looking at the first log.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #3039
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Hmm .. yeah. I see that now. This is a lot easier on a desktop computer. Thank you for the review and for pointing that out.

Kinda looks like a boost leak. I don't hear anything. None of that stuff has been touched since the factory. I will check the clamps. Maybe the solenoid is junk (nope we don't have a solenoid) or the turbo is damaged. I kinda think it's the ots tune. I will go to home depot and build a pressure tester. Anyone know the stock turbo inlet diameter?

Encouraging, it rips even with this problem. The 3rd log is a 60-120. I probably have too many variables logged, I'm new to all this data. I appreciate any help before I blow this thing up.

I also have weird rev hang sometimes and am wondering if the pedal or throttle body needs cleaned.

Last edited by B58 parts; 10-05-2022 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:57 PM   #3040
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Hmm .. yeah. I see that now. This is a lot easier on a desktop computer. Thank you for the review and for pointing that out.

Kinda looks like a boost leak. I don't hear anything. None of that stuff has been touched since the factory. I will check the clamps. Maybe the solenoid is junk or the turbo is damaged. I kinda think it's the ots tune. I will go to home depot and build a pressure tester. Anyone know the stock turbo inlet diameter?

Encouraging, it rips even with this problem. The 3rd log is a 60-120. I probably have too many variables logged, I'm new to all this data. I appreciate any help before I blow this thing up.

I also have weird rev hang sometimes and am wondering if the pedal or throttle body needs cleaned.
You wont blow it up! Your timing looks great and your WGDC isn't maxed out so I'm not sure what's up with the boost control.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #3041
lpaulodt
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F36 440i LCI

Hello everyone, just got started on my B58 tuning journey! Being reading/watching a lot lately, specially videos from Kern417

My B58 is currently full stock with MPPSK.
I decided to go with MHD. Just started to do some baseline loging to get to understand how the car is operating prior to diving into tuning.

I will likely start with OTS Stage 1 RON 98. For that I intend to do some prep, which include full coolant flush from main and intercooler circuit, which currenlty has some weird brown fluid on it. I will also do spark plugs + ignition coils and the transmission fluid change.
Diff wont be touched as I have an M Perf LSD in the pipeline

My goal is OTS Stage 2 , maybe go for some OTS Ethanol map later. For that I intend to put a high flow catted DP, hot climate intake mod with stock CAI box (maybe deleting the resonator) + drop in high perf filter.

My "ultimate" goal would be likelly to upgrade the HPFP and intercooler radiator and go for a custom tune in the future.

I will also go for xHP, of course! Probably Stage 2, maybe 3.

Here is some of the WOT pull loging i did last night: https://datazap.me/u/lpaulodt/f36-44...15-16-17-27-33

Your thoughts and feedback on the logs/tunign plan are greatly appreciated!

Bonus pic for appreciation
Name:  IMG_7867 (1).jpg
Views: 246
Size:  624.7 KB
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1908.00
      10-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #3042
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaulodt View Post
Hello everyone, just got started on my B58 tuning journey! Being reading/watching a lot lately, specially videos from Kern417

My B58 is currently full stock with MPPSK.
I decided to go with MHD. Just started to do some baseline loging to get to understand how the car is operating prior to diving into tuning.

I will likely start with OTS Stage 1 RON 98. For that I intend to do some prep, which include full coolant flush from main and intercooler circuit, which currenlty has some weird brown fluid on it. I will also do spark plugs + ignition coils and the transmission fluid change.
Diff wont be touched as I have an M Perf LSD in the pipeline

My goal is OTS Stage 2 , maybe go for some OTS Ethanol map later. For that I intend to put a high flow catted DP, hot climate intake mod with stock CAI box (maybe deleting the resonator) + drop in high perf filter.

My "ultimate" goal would be likelly to upgrade the HPFP and intercooler radiator and go for a custom tune in the future.

I will also go for xHP, of course! Probably Stage 2, maybe 3.

Here is some of the WOT pull loging i did last night: https://datazap.me/u/lpaulodt/f36-44...15-16-17-27-33

Your thoughts and feedback on the logs/tunign plan are greatly appreciated!

Bonus pic for appreciation
Attachment 2999388
Hi

concerning service intervals on tuned b58, in eu spec terms:

zf8 oil change around 80k km's
plugs every 20k km's (you can go for tu plugs, stock gap)
coils not really needed, unless they gone bad, stock coils are fine
oil + oilfilter every 10k km's, maybe even sooner if you run the card hard and on E
airfilter every 20k unless you get one you can clean yourself, but personally I'm just using the stock one

Hot climate intake mod (but cheap to do, so why not) and a CAI are imho unnecessary on the B58, stock cooling is good enough unless you live in an extremely hot climate/use the car for tracking. I live in a hotter climate than you on mhd stage2+ e40 and IAT's always stay pretty low even when pushing. There are even 700+hp setups I've seen that are still using the stock airfilter system, and I haven't seen any significant gains from CAI upgrades to a B58. The ones I've seen are on youtube videos with very small gains and usually the company promoting their own product. Better use that money to get your LSD, that is something you will feel immediately and a TU hpfp, they've gone down in price a lot lately and they will allow you to safely run the Stage2+ maps.

So an intercooler isn't needed, neither is a custom tune unless you go bigger turbo. Trust me you will be blown away when you try Stage 2+ ots e40, this is 6.8s to 7.5s (depending from 140/240i to heavier B58's) 100-200kph territory. A custom isn't really gonna do better on a stock turbo unless the tuner is really pushing the limits of your car. It's possible, but the gains compared to the OTS won't be big.

MHD is a good choice. User friendly with a fast wifi adapter, their OTS maps are great, there's much choice for customisation incl multi-map and proper flexfuel support, and if you have a question or problem MHD always comes back to you if you mail them.

Personally I've been running XHP Stage 3 for over 2 years now without any issues and in sport+ it's lightning fast. You can run the different stages and see what you prefer but once you're going Stage 2 (the car, not xhp) or above I'd definitely run XHP Stage 3.

Oh and your log looks great, car seems healthy.
Appreciate 2
lpaulodt214.50
FastFrog143.50
      10-06-2022, 02:16 AM   #3043
lpaulodt
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDuck View Post
Hi

concerning service intervals on tuned b58, in eu spec terms:

zf8 oil change around 80k km's
plugs every 20k km's (you can go for tu plugs, stock gap)
coils not really needed, unless they gone bad, stock coils are fine
oil + oilfilter every 10k km's, maybe even sooner if you run the card hard and on E
airfilter every 20k unless you get one you can clean yourself, but personally I'm just using the stock one

Hot climate intake mod (but cheap to do, so why not) and a CAI are imho unnecessary on the B58, stock cooling is good enough unless you live in an extremely hot climate/use the car for tracking. I live in a hotter climate than you on mhd stage2+ e40 and IAT's always stay pretty low even when pushing. There are even 700+hp setups I've seen that are still using the stock airfilter system, and I haven't seen any significant gains from CAI upgrades to a B58. The ones I've seen are on youtube videos with very small gains and usually the company promoting their own product. Better use that money to get your LSD, that is something you will feel immediately and a TU hpfp, they've gone down in price a lot lately and they will allow you to safely run the Stage2+ maps.

So an intercooler isn't needed, neither is a custom tune unless you go bigger turbo. Trust me you will be blown away when you try Stage 2+ ots e40, this is 6.8s to 7.5s (depending from 140/240i to heavier B58's) 100-200kph territory. A custom isn't really gonna do better on a stock turbo unless the tuner is really pushing the limits of your car. It's possible, but the gains compared to the OTS won't be big.

MHD is a good choice. User friendly with a fast wifi adapter, their OTS maps are great, there's much choice for customisation incl multi-map and proper flexfuel support, and if you have a question or problem MHD always comes back to you if you mail them.

Personally I've been running XHP Stage 3 for over 2 years now without any issues and in sport+ it's lightning fast. You can run the different stages and see what you prefer but once you're going Stage 2 (the car, not xhp) or above I'd definitely run XHP Stage 3.

Oh and your log looks great, car seems healthy.
Thank you very much for the inputs, appreciated!
I guess I will have to add a TU HPFP into my shopping list
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #3044
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Hi All - recently picked a up a 440i xdrive from a private party. Was tuned by Cary Jordan by previous owner. In reading through some spark plug threads on the forums - I was curious to check out the timing corrections on my logs. I grabbed this one from right after the tune was released, and the numbers look a bit scary. I am planning on replacing the plugs shortly but I am not sure if that will hehlp.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60a5...90c63fd6102cc9
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #3045
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that you are not logging the timing corrections. What you have here is timing. Only noticeable thing I saw is a brief and single knock detection which is not very significant, other parameters look fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #3046
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that you are not logging the timing corrections. What you have here is timing. Only noticeable thing I saw is a brief and single knock detection which is not very significant, other parameters look fine.
First time logging for me - do I select that as a value in BM3?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #3047
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Yes, you should have 6 parameters called "Timing correction cyl N" in addition to the "Timing cyl N" you checked.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #3048
lpaulodt
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you should have 6 parameters called "Timing correction cyl N" in addition to the "Timing cyl N" you checked.
Isn't that MHD unique?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #3049
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Updated logs

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=633f...729b65688821f2
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #3050
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Vttgc ds2 e50

Thoughts gents???? She's moving ... 28-30 PSI 14 degrees timing up top

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=633f...729b656888219a
      10-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #3051
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prak903 View Post
So looks like you have two separate pulls logged ... the first log is one of the worst I've ever seen. Extreme timing pull across the board on all cylinders. You should be seeing up to 14 degrees of timing from all cylinders and you are only getting like 6 degrees. Second one looks better, but gets scary after 5K rpms.

Is this an ethanol tune from Cary? If so, check to make sure you are running the correct amount of ethanol in your fuel mix.

I would NOT push the car at this point.
      10-07-2022, 03:06 AM   #3052
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that MHD unique?
The naming slightly differs, but timing correction is a key data to be monitored, so it is logged by any decent tuning platforms.

@Prak903
As for the logging, a few tips (the 1st post in this thread is much more thorough!)
- Create a separate log for each pull, so that you give your engine some time to get back to its initial state, IAT cool down etc. Plus log gets messy otherwise.
- Try to start logging only when doing the pull or shortly before that (there is an autostart mechanism in MHD that triggers logging only at WOT, I assume the same exists for BM3)
As for the content of the log you posted, talontdone said it all. Definitely something wrong with the setup and/or used fuel. Don't push the car until you investigate and fix.

Last edited by FastFrog; 10-07-2022 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 06:10 AM   #3053
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontdone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prak903 View Post
So looks like you have two separate pulls logged ... the first log is one of the worst I've ever seen. Extreme timing pull across the board on all cylinders. You should be seeing up to 14 degrees of timing from all cylinders and you are only getting like 6 degrees. Second one looks better, but gets scary after 5K rpms.

Is this an ethanol tune from Cary? If so, check to make sure you are running the correct amount of ethanol in your fuel mix.

I would NOT push the car at this point.
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't that MHD unique?
The naming slightly differs, but timing correction is a key data to be monitored, so it is logged by any decent tuning platforms.

@Prak903
As for the logging, a few tips (the 1st post in this thread is much more thorough!)
- Create a separate log for each pull, so that you give your engine some time to get back to its initial state, IAT cool down etc. Plus log gets messy otherwise.
- Try to start logging only when doing the pull or shortly before that (there is an autostart mechanism in MHD that triggers logging only at WOT, I assume the same exists for BM3)
As for the content of the log you posted, talontdone said it all. Definitely something wrong with the setup and/or used fuel. Don't push the car until you investigate and fix.

Thanks guys. I did recently fill at Costco for sale of time, wondering if their 93 isn't as good. I'm going to grab shell 93 the next time I fill up.

This is a 93 tune from Cary.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #3054
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

If you have the opportunity, a few liters/galllons of E85 carefully added to your fuel might "heal" your logs as well (say 2 gallons as a start if your tank is almost full).

Also, if you're not sure about your plugs' age, you may consider replacing them.
Edit : okay, you said above you will!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #3055
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have the opportunity, a few liters/galllons of E85 carefully added to your fuel might "heal" your logs as well (say 2 gallons as a start if your tank is almost full).

Also, if you're not sure about your plugs' age, you may consider replacing them.
Edit : okay, you said above you will!
I have a little less than half tank right now. Should I still add 2 gallons or a bit less?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:31 AM   #3056
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

If your current fuel is E10(*), that you have 7(*) gallons left in the tank and you add "E85" that is actually E70(*), then with:
1 gallon added, you'll reach E17,5
2 gallons added, you'll reach E23,3
So yeah, you should still be fine with 2 gallons of E85. Even if it turn out to be real E85, you'd be below E30

I'd try with something between 1 and 2 gallons and see if it tends to get things better, while checking that your HPFP holds up fine (target rail pressure = actual rail pressure)

(*) = assumptions

Last edited by FastFrog; 10-07-2022 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #3057
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If your current fuel is E10(*), that you have 7(*) gallons left in the tank and you add "E85" that is actually E70(*), then with:
1 gallon added, you'll reach E17,5
2 gallons added, you'll reach E23,3
So yeah, you should still be fine with 2 gallons of E85. Even if it turn out to be real E85, you'd be below E30

I'd try with something between 1 and 2 gallons and see if it tends to get things better, while checking that your HPFP holds up fine (target rail pressure = actual rail pressure)

(*) = assumptions

Put in 1.5 of E85. HPFP actual never got too far below target, infact it was almost always above (!).

I did setup autolog in BM3 for 70% accel pedal but it never logged. Glad i did a manual one just in case lol.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6340...90c6e0a56a0a81
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #3058
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Looks better, but still not quite right. Also you log cuts off to early, should go to 6500 rpm. (I know it's not easy sometimes)
Appreciate 0