F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Christmas/Boxing day present.. - Hit and run/park the other side..
GetBMWParts

12-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Christmas/Boxing day present.. - Hit and run/park the other side..

Well, it was a lovely 4-6 weeks whilst it lasted.

Wanted a second opinion before being a bit of a menace as this stuff really does piss me off.

Same vehicle in non residential parking has parked next for me for 4 months + without fail, providing no one else took the spot.

So, between yesterday and this morning the below happened..

Looking around for my sd adapter as we speak to check the dash cam.

Had a 312 and on Christmas evening I put in a 512 fully charged prior.

The reason I show the other car is I obviously checked out 2 black/darker cars, but most intriguing, who gets a front bumper polished/cleaned with the rest of the car bloody dirty still?!

Edit: Alarm didn’t go off as is an issue I am having as per another thread I made, appointment booked on Xmas eve for 3rd week of Jan.

Said it was important for security and insurance purposes, ironically a few days later..

Last edited by KTE; 02-24-2024 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
T8y
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435d gran coupe

Absolutely gutting. I can see where and why your suspicions might lie, but the amount of paint off yours and there is bound to be similar off the offending car. Whilst the corsa’s bumper does look strangely clean compared to the rest of the bodywork I don’t see any obvious missing paint. It would be nigh on impossible to repair the bumper in that sort of timescale particularly at the Christmas period and the fact that polishing wouldn’t just take it out. Is the Corsa the vehicle that usually parks beside you? Just my own thoughts but I would expect that the offending vehicle would be damaged on the front passenger side of the bumper - as a result of swinging into the bay nose first and colliding with your passenger side.

Edit: just viewing the photos again. Is there paint missing from front driver bumper of corsa? Or is it just a reflection?

Last edited by T8y; 12-27-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Has been for months on end, I can’t quite explain it, the individual has a strange affinity for parking to the left of where my vehicle was. Not next to me, just in that spot.

I have a few dash cam clips on my laptop of the vehicle always being there even with spaces elsewhere. Trying to get a neighbours dash cam clips during daylight to check out the bumper (any dirt or white marks) a few days ago as the past week the odd occasion I did drive it was after dark. We all drive into the set of bays, which are unallocated.

Just for reference, the parking spot was after they went out yesterday afternoon the morning to clean up. Some of the black wiped off with my finger, so I’m assuming the blue being a lighter colour could come off?

They previously had work done on a older hatchback roadside/at a backstreet place during a similar period for what could’ve been another situation or bumping into a pole..

It wouldn’t have been a ‘reputable’ body shop.

There is only the base paint or metal (not really clued up on paintwork) which is white on their drivers side bumper.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8y View Post
Edit: just viewing the photos again. Is there paint missing from front driver bumper of corsa? Or is it just a reflection?

No, it’s actual base white/metal. As it’s nearly always parked near me, I found that odd too. Not paranoid attentive in day to day, but I’m 80% sure that wasn’t there.

Last edited by KTE; 02-24-2024 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
T8y
Enlisted Member
Rep

That’s the sort of damage I would have expected to see on the offending vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
meatballs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Garage List
Is that dirt/rubber around the scratch? Looks like someones clipped it with a wheel? Marks seem to go up/down in a slight arc...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I presume you think the Vauxhall did this to your car? Looks that way, cleaned on the front side area rest of the car dirty plus that mark on the Vauxhall matches the one on the leading edge of your head lamp surround.

I'd be approaching them and asking how that happened whilst pointing to your car.
      12-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballs View Post
Is that dirt/rubber around the scratch? Looks like someones clipped it with a wheel? Marks seem to go up/down in a slight arc...
The parking is at a small incline, downwards driving outwards. The likely ‘suspect’ car was parked right against the pavement backing of the space, so perhaps thought they could squeeze out then panicked and reversed and drove off continuing their journey.

Why I’m frustrated is I’ve been let down by BMW for a alarm that doesn’t make an audible noise, would’ve caught them red handed. Been laying low after a hectic calendar year at work.

Had they washed the whole car too I would’ve as initially speaking to family waived it off, as it’s kind of harsh to lay blame like this. It’s only when I looked at the darker cars around did I notice this, alongside the marks, alongside changing their regular parking spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I presume you think the Vauxhall did this to your car? Looks that way, cleaned on the front side area rest of the car dirty plus that mark on the Vauxhall matches the one on the leading edge of your head lamp surround.

I'd be approaching them and asking how that happened whilst pointing to your car.
Awaiting their return as they soon after I took images and the dashcam out of my car went out. As it’s been several hours and now dark will give them a buzz tomorrow morning, so they can see the damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

very interested to hear what they say?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

If they Deny it and you are absolutely sure it was that black car, personally I would wait a few months then karma would need to kick in

I hate these bastards who damage people's cars and drive off/deny it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Isn't it annoying when people do this !!. Personally i would not rush into anything, if the Corsa hit your car, i think the damage would be further behind than the scratch, if it did hit where the scratch is surely there would be much more damage to both cars. Paint has clearly been taken off your car, but wouldn't it be the same for the other car, i just don't see enough damage to the cars bumper. It would be worth asking, if you know them well enough, why they have randomly cleaned and possibly polished their bumper and not the whole car. Good luck in finding the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Gutted for you OP.

Looking at your damage i’d agree it could be rubber/ a tyre clipping it.... but the mark higher up doesnt correspond to the damage on their car.... i would expect atleast the lacquer to have come off their bumper.... and this time of yr would be hard pressed for a last minute respray.

Depending how well you know them its worth asking why they cleaned their bumper - then maybe mention your damage.... but i know if i was accused by a random neighbour of hitting their car (when i didnt) i wouldnt take it too kindly!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:37 AM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I would check the nearside corner of the Corsa's bumper too, to compare it with the offside for dirt. Some cars do keep the front pretty clean while chucking salt/grime down their sides, so it is just possible that they haven't cleaned the bumper at all.

The main dirt mark seems to have been made by something soft, like a tyre.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Do you always reverse park in?

That looks like someone has also reverse parked and the turned wheel/tyre has caught your car, with some light contact body to body. Or they started swinging the front too early when they reversed out of the bay catching the turned wheel on your bumper, with light body contact.

It's always difficult to judge, a colleague of mine did a fair bit of damage to my rear passenger door (£1800 repair), with almost not a mark on their Ford S Max. Theirs polished out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #14
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

They ‘don’t know a thing about the bumper being clean’

Refuted all claims, more importantly no one else had access to the car when I asked.

The fresh ding on the car was ‘someone clipping her a long time ago’.

When asked about rotational alloy being marked, remained silent. This I feel I shouldn’t have mentioned now, because wheels are easily refurbed..

I don’t think I’ve ever seen wheels with damage like that nearer the centre unless on a object higher up than a pavement, without also damaging the outer edges?

See below:

‘Always reverses in’

It was caught coming out it would seem.

Anyway, sort of what I was expecting. Already filed a report on the met website.

Last edited by KTE; 12-28-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #15
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Corsas have very flexible bumpers and can take quite a hit without causing too much damage. Wife used to have one!

It is possible that she bumped into your car, but you can’t be certain.

Keep cool until you get more facts. Certainly don’t damage her car in revenge. That won’t make yours look any better.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #16
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I would check the nearside corner of the Corsa's bumper too, to compare it with the offside for dirt. Some cars do keep the front pretty clean while chucking salt/grime down their sides, so it is just possible that they haven't cleaned the bumper at all.

The main dirt mark seems to have been made by something soft, like a tyre.
Nearside is dirty, dirtier in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Do you always reverse park in?

That looks like someone has also reverse parked and the turned wheel/tyre has caught your car, with some light contact body to body. Or they started swinging the front too early when they reversed out of the bay catching the turned wheel on your bumper, with light body contact.

It's always difficult to judge, a colleague of mine did a fair bit of damage to my rear passenger door (£1800 repair), with almost not a mark on their Ford S Max. Theirs polished out.
I do agree and know it can not show, or easily come off as a Toyota Aygo hit my Astra a few years back, I had less damage than the above but arguably deeper scratches. Not a scratch or mark on her car!!! She actually had the decency to chase down the owner of the car she hit within the company and settled directly after I got a few quotes.

I always reverse park in as it saves me the hassle in the morning to just get started with my commute and if any idiots block me in (easier to see what you’re doing). Just a habit for bay parking now. Likewise with the ‘culprit’ vehicle.

Last edited by KTE; 12-28-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Unfortunately The owner of the corsa is a cunt it would seem, ..they deserve no less than some paint stripper splashed generously over their car during the night, since you've given them the chance to cough up to it now.
Wait a few months though.. revenge is best served cold!

Looks like you'll end up taking the repair costs on the chin this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Corsas have very flexible bumpers and can take quite a hit without causing too much damage. Wife used to have one!

It is possible that she bumped into your car, but you can’t be certain.

Keep cool until you get more facts. Certainly don’t damage her car in revenge. That won’t make yours look any better.
Kept very cool actually, last thing I would do is that because I’d be stooping to their level, and would likely come back to me anyway. Already feel there’s a risk of that. I’d be more at loss than she ever would..

By process of elimination:

Is it the only car to park reverse first in to the left of my vehicle at the time, or that spot nearly always (providing the spot is available as previously mentioned) - Yes

Was it the last car seen and parked next to my vehicle between 23rd late hours through to 27th ~3pm when damage was found - Yes

The whole drivers front side bumper has been cleaned/polished or whatever you want to call it - Yes

However just got a knock back from her BF and she followed down for me to show them the damage. They can’t in the slightest see how it’s possible to be their car that did this.

‘How dare I knock on her door’
‘Fucking pissing her off that I knocked on her door asking questions’ @ 12 noon to make sure I didn’t disturb anyone...
‘Did I blame the other black car too?’ - this one is a bit odd, without supposedly seeing the damage on my car prior how did you evaluate this.
‘I do what other people do and sit on my bumper’ as she enacted someone leaning on their headlight. Explaining why it’s clean.

Without boring everyone, she turned a lot more passive aggressive with nothing relevant to the subject at hand, I just walked away and she was still hurling abuse.

Having said we’ll leave it at that in the initial conversation outside her flat, this all but did it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #19
T8y
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don’t think the alloy wheel has caused the damage. The wheel is still extremely dirty and there is not evidence of it having been cleaned. I would expect to see a transfer of the blue paint on the alloy which would have meant the need to clean the alloy. The damage to the alloy looks quite old to me and the damage near the centre could have been caused by a high granite kerb. With the amount of damage to your bumper I would have expected to see more significant damage to her bumper, to the extent of the need for a respray. As stated previously the likelihood of getting that done in such a short space of time is unlikely and it would have resulted in the scrape marks that can be seen having been sprayed too! I’m not saying the corsa didn’t do it, rather maybe not that part of the car. If I were in your position I would look further afield in the car park as the culprit has likely parked further away. Just a final thought, with it being the Christmas period, could it have been a visitor to a neighbour? Or had the driver maybe had a sherbet or two? I realise this doesn’t help but I think it’s important Not to get too focused on the obvious, as it may not have happened that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #20
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8y View Post
I don’t think the alloy wheel has caused the damage. The wheel is still extremely dirty and there is not evidence of it having been cleaned. I would expect to see a transfer of the blue paint on the alloy which would have meant the need to clean the alloy. The damage to the alloy looks quite old to me and the damage near the centre could have been caused by a high granite kerb. With the amount of damage to your bumper I would have expected to see more significant damage to her bumper, to the extent of the need for a respray. As stated previously the likelihood of getting that done in such a short space of time is unlikely and it would have resulted in the scrape marks that can be seen having been sprayed too! I’m not saying the corsa didn’t do it, rather maybe not that part of the car. If I were in your position I would look further afield in the car park as the culprit has likely parked further away. Just a final thought, with it being the Christmas period, could it have been a visitor to a neighbour? Or had the driver maybe had a sherbet or two? I realise this doesn’t help but I think it’s important Not to get too focused on the obvious, as it may not have happened that way.
All of those scenarios could be likely.

I’m not so sure about the transfer of paint as there isn’t much off, need to wipe down my end to see what damage remains visible.

There is older damage to the wheel so that’s not beyond the case of having done it again, rather than swiping into me, or the converse. Honestly who knows at this stage.

I agree the time frame is very short, the pictures truly do not show how much the bumper is squeaky ‘showroom’ clean with scars wherever they were picked up.

That’s a further ‘accusation’ that I wouldn’t be able to prove, but if I were going by previous experience and knowledge of the individual and their actions it’s more than likely. It definitely didn’t happen up until 6-7pm on Xmas evening, as I swapped over a older Nextbase dashcam for a ‘1440p’ upgrade. Wouldn’t and won’t venture down this road unless there’s other witnesses to confirm.

As bad as this sounds, it seems not many were loved or gathered here this year. In fact it was pretty quiet in the car park. Drawing back to the same point of why insist on parking in what turned out to be an awkward spot when others were available .

I’ve yet to make any formal movements yet anyway, even the report I stated I have a suspicion of a vehicle with some evidence, but it was not seen in person and I cannot make that false claim when they asked over the phone (provided a ref which I was then told to put into the online form).

I was toying with the idea of the MPE and CF spoiler, so like someone above mentioned it’s one to take on the chin this time and get this sorted first..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #21
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Little update:

Quote no1: £495
Quote no2: £190
Quote no3: £250

Used a whocanfixit website and a got a quotation from a personal recommendation via a friend. ~£250 and below seems a little too cheap? In person he mentioned he’ll be blending the colours and would guarantee colour match/lifetime guarantee providing any bird excretion are removed ASAP and not left on the paint within the first week or two as it eats through fresh lacquer.

Going to check the friends car in daylight to see the standard I can expect.

NB: Does anyone in London have recommendations for similar bodywork done to their vehicle? Preferably West/South West London.

Last edited by KTE; 12-28-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #22
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Little update:

Quote no1: £495
Quote no2: £190
Quote no3: £250

Used a whocanfixit website and a got a quotation from a personal recommendation via a friend. ~£250 and below seems a little too cheap? In person he mentioned he’ll be blending the colours and would guarantee colour match/lifetime guarantee providing any bird excretion are removed ASAP and not left on the paint within the first week or two as it eats through fresh lacquer.

Going to check the friends car in daylight to see the standard I can expect.

NB: Does anyone in London have recommendations for similar bodywork done to their vehicle? Preferably West/South West London.

Not necessarily if the only damage is to the bumper paint.

To be fair I had a smart repair done for similar damage a few years ago which cost me £90 and the guy did a great job, you couldn't tell afterwards.
Appreciate 0