F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > bmw long term ownership
proTUNING Freaks

12-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

Question bmw long term ownership

Has anyone here owned the same bmw for 8-10 years, 100K+ miles? How reliable was the car after warranty expiration? Repair costs?

I'm thinking about financing my next bmw and keeping it for a long time, but I'm a bit worried as bmw doesn't have the greatest reputation in reliability. Is it about the same as getting a Japanese car like Infiniti? Better? Worse?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

BMW reliability is going to be worse than most any Japanese vehicle. As well, the repair costs when things do break are going to be more expensive. I posted something on overall reliability by brands recently, I willt ry to find it. BMW came in below average. Many individuals purchase extended warranties for BMW's as they can get pricey after they fall out. Especially now, since many things you used to be able to do yourself you are now forced to bring it in to the dealer (No oil dipstick on cars anymore? Come on!).

I've owned my 1991 BMW for 4.5 years and put on 70,000 miles with minimal hastle but it is much more reliable than the vehicles built today. Hope that helps.
      12-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Here is the reliability thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316036
      12-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I've had my 330 since 2001. 114,000 miles on it. No major issues so far. Its also never spent a night in a dealership.
      12-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

this is rather unfortunate, but what can you do, from a financial perspective i would love to get a bmw and keep it for a long time

i saw a show on tv where a guy buys cars, fixes some minor issues and sells them for a small profit, on this particular episode it was a 20 year old bmw 6-series, car was in great condition, with all its original parts and no previous major repairs, what happened to the good old days of German engineering
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Out-of-warranty labor fees will make you cry, at least on the newer models.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

idk, my neighbor's 03 325 has over 270k miles, only big issue that went bad was the thing that controls fuel, not the fuel pump but something else, i forgot what it was called.

then i bought a 84 318 last year, odo had 360k miles and odo was broke. I put about 30k on it too, everything was still stock too.

Take away the whole older cars last longer etc... maybe true, but in the end if you take care of your car, im sure it'll last longer than most. i plan to keep this 08 for awhile too, and quite honestly i know mine does better than other 08's of different brands just because ppl don't care of their cars.

Edit: learn to work on the car, that way out of warrantty costs are low. Parts tend to be the same, despite popular belief, i had a honda and mitsubishi before too, and those parts cost almost the same
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekuu View Post
idk, my neighbor's 03 325 has over 270k miles, only big issue that went bad was the thing that controls fuel, not the fuel pump but something else, i forgot what it was called.

Edit: learn to work on the car, that way out of warrantty costs are low. Parts tend to be the same, despite popular belief, i had a honda and mitsubishi before too, and those parts cost almost the same
Must adress two things:

1) How in the heck has your neighbor averaged 45,000+/yr miles on a single vehicle for over six years? That's almost like driving full-time for work.

2) The newer BMWs are difficult to work on yourself, as stated before. BMW has been removing self-service features and employing special tools that you as an owner can't get your hands on. The point is to get the vehicles into the dealership to have things fixed. Parts also are more expensive for BMWs. I do most of the customization work on my cars, and the parts for my '91 BMW have been as expensive as my '00 Acura and '06 Chrysler.
      12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
it is much more reliable than the vehicles built today. Hope that helps.
+1

my cousin still drives his dad's original 1969 (i think) 3 series or whatever it was called back and has no major problems.
      12-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Must adress two things:

1) How in the heck has your neighbor averaged 45,000+/yr miles on a single vehicle for over six years? That's almost like driving full-time for work.

2) The newer BMWs are difficult to work on yourself, as stated before. BMW has been removing self-service features and employing special tools that you as an owner can't get your hands on. The point is to get the vehicles into the dealership to have things fixed. Parts also are more expensive for BMWs. I do most of the customization work on my cars, and the parts for my '91 BMW have been as expensive as my '00 Acura and '06 Chrysler.

1) Some people drive alot man, and it's not really that much, i put like 8k on my mitsubishi in 3 months before, just traveling and goofing around in CA. Not everybody babies their cars as far as not driving it. Afterall it's not a weekend warrior car, or a track car. I remember reading a article about some 5 series with 300k+ and i think it was only a 02 and i read this at least year and half ago.

2) my 06 eclipse parts costs the same as my e92, parts for my honda, slightly cheaper. In the end, BMW part prices are comparable to other brands, just cause it's a luxury brand doesn't mean you'll pay ridiculous price. But that is only if you shop around, and if you don't like to shop around and stick to the easiest method that would result in the crazy prices. IDK, as far as fixing stuff. The way i see it, if i intend to keep a car, I will buy these special tools. + I will add that I've been a mechanic before but I will say that I wouldn't call myself a true mechanic, cars no matter how fancy they get still evoles around the core principals. Unless your trying to reprogram the ECU and things, electrical items are still electrical items, trouble shooting isn't crazy hard. It's all logical anyways, i mean if you don't like getting dirty or having to think logically in times i understand (im not saying you can't think logically). Tools aren't that expensive either, you don't need snap on tools etc. but if you have to have to "best" brands of everything then it's not that it's expensive parts, and you choose to buy expensive parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

/\ still 45k/yr is quite above average, like in the top 3% of drivers. The average annual mileage sits around 13.5k. I drive pretty frequently for your standard Joe and I put down about 25,000 miles on my vehicles combined. Good to hear at 270k his car still treats him well.

I guess I've had different experiences. I've been able to find my parts at what I would think to be reasonable, but only after shopping around like you said. Dealer vs dealer pricing will show BMW to be greater. Also some of the work are things you just can't do at home. For instance we went to change the transmission fluid on an E46 the other day, and lo and behold you CANT in your garage! We could drain it but there was no way to refill it. We were told we'd have to bring it into a dealership, which we did and they actually pressurized it and pumped the fluid back in through the drain hole! No way your average joe, or even average auto shop will have the tools to do that.
      12-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
I have had excellent experience with BMW reliability. In addition to my '09 128i I also have an E30 318is that was purchased new in 1991. It is now 18 years old and has about 130,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance very little money has been put into it and it still looks and drives like new. My dad has an E46 325ci that he uses as a daily driver and he has not had any problems with it either. My family buys BMWs new and keeps them for the long run. We've never had any major problems with any of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep

About the transmission, I'm not too familar with e46. But logically speaking, I assume the drain plug is not the type that is directly on the bottom of the transmission, if it is a pressurized filling system. Only saying this because I'm assuming the plug is not a 1 way valve, so if it were to be on the bottom, the machine would be hooked onto the original plug, filled, fluid stays in. Otherwise I don't think it'd be possible to add fluid, disconnect hose, then put on original plug.

Having said that, if the plug is not on the bottom, pressurized systems cost alot, but there are other methods. Like systems similar to motive brake bleeders, where you just pressurized the container with fluid and you'd still be able to inject fluid. Which is pretty cheap and multi-purpose.

But I think we should end our disagreement here, just because it can go on forever. You'll always find problems with different cars, and I'm in no way familar with all cars. But are ways to fill, just on creativity i guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekuu View Post
About the transmission, I'm not too familar with e46. But logically speaking, I assume the drain plug is not the type that is directly on the bottom of the transmission, if it is a pressurized filling system. Only saying this because I'm assuming the plug is not a 1 way valve, so if it were to be on the bottom, the machine would be hooked onto the original plug, filled, fluid stays in. Otherwise I don't think it'd be possible to add fluid, disconnect hose, then put on original plug.

Having said that, if the plug is not on the bottom, pressurized systems cost alot, but there are other methods. Like systems similar to motive brake bleeders, where you just pressurized the container with fluid and you'd still be able to inject fluid. Which is pretty cheap and multi-purpose.

But I think we should end our disagreement here, just because it can go on forever. You'll always find problems with different cars, and I'm in no way familar with all cars. But are ways to fill, just on creativity i guess.
Solid point. For reference, the drain plug IS on the bottom. It was rather intruiging the BMW set it up this way, as we didn't have a pressurized system in the shop to put the fluid back in. Somehow the delaership was able to pressurize the fluid back in and then put the cap back on. Much more difficult then it needed to be, that's for sure.

And I do agree with the other poster, my E30 318 has been fantastic maintenance-wise. I do almost all the work myself and have never had a major issue in the 70k+ miles I've put on the engine. I do think E30's are higher on the scale than most though.
      12-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I bought an E36 325iS new in '93. Just about everything electrical and electronic was replaced during warranty, as well as a clutch, A/C condenser, door panels, and other minor items. When the warranty ran out I did my own repairs. Nothing broke for another 60,000 miles and 12 years. I replaced rotors & pads, tires, fixed the headliner, replaced the water pump & radiator before they failed. If I had to pay a shop to do the repairs I would be driving a Celica.

I just bought a 128i that I plan to keep for 10 years or so. When the warranty runs out I will buy a diagnostic interface so I can continue to do my own repairs.
      12-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

I've had my Z4 since 2003 now sitting at 99xxx miles it has been very trouble free.

I think owning a BMW isn't expensive at all. if you shop around, there are parts available for cheap.(esp a 3 series) and basic architecture of the car is still same as it was 10~20 years ago so working on the car is very similar. I have done ALL maintenance my self and it was very easy.
my car nearing 100000miles, it still drives like the day it was new. Acceleration is top notch, handling is superb. I just love driving the car!

BMW is THE ultimate driving machine. No doubt!