F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BMW dealer issue
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2024, 06:14 AM   #1
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

BMW dealer issue

Apologies for the long post

I’ve been working away a lot in the past few years in Spain and China and we decided to treat ourselves to a new X1 plug in hybrid.

We duly did the deal with a local dealer who told us they had May build allocation and the corresponding order document with order number was received the same day with an estimated arrival of end May 2024.

Despite the usual guff from the salesman about calling every week with an update, which me and the wife joked about afterwards we’ve had one email telling us the car would be June.

A week past Friday I decided to check with BMW online chat regarding the order and for security they asked the model and colour of the vehicle against the order number. So I typed X1 and Portimao Blue and all was good. Code 195 - exit from port and in transit, due 14th May.

Fantastic! With only a couple of weeks I wrote to the salesman asking him to confirm and I set about transferring funds, which can take 10 working days.

Yesterday I checked with BMW live chat and again for security had to give the order number, colour and model which I did, Portimao Blue X1. Same code, in transit and with a confirmed delivery of 14th May.

During this week I had nothing back from the salesman and yesterday I phoned to be told he was in a meeting - they sure do have a lot of meetings these guys! At lunchtime I dropped him another email telling him how hard he was to get hold of and asking him to call me. In fairness, he called me within the hour and I asked why he hadn’t replied to my email earlier in the week. He hadn’t received it seemingly!

He told me no change, the car is due for production in June, delivery July. I explained that I had been in discussion with live chat twice and they both confirmed delivery 14th May, he must be mistaken. Let me check your order number he told me - the order number on my order form/contract was wrong according to him, the incoming order was for a Black X1. I got more guff about another car he had proposed and this was the one, which was crap as it was a totally different model we were talking about and I told him this in no uncertain terms. At this point I told him how unhappy I was and wanted it escalated to his manager as the deal was done on the promise of getting this build slot. He told me he would do this but advised the manager was “in a meeting” Geez, these guys and meetings again!

I checked again with live chat again and sure enough the order number on my document is for a different car, a black one. So much for the BMW “geniuses” I managed to get past there so called security check twice with the wrong details.

I’m still waiting for the senior manager to call to discuss, guess us small people don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, it just annoys me that even so called premium dealers act like back street garages at times.

I’m interested to know why I have a document with the wrong order number in it, have I been bumped because they got a fleet/business order? ffs, just come clean and be honest!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 04:24 PM   #2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Contact the dealer principal directly and go from there. Sounds like a sh1tty salesmen though and I imagine really takes the wind out the excitement of a new car incoming
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-05-2024, 04:02 AM   #3
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Contact the dealer principal directly and go from there. Sounds like a sh1tty salesmen though and I imagine really takes the wind out the excitement of a new car incoming
Yes, I think this is the best approach especially if the General Sales Manager makes no contact on Tuesday after the bank holiday
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 05:00 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I am a corporate customer with literally dozens of BMW's on my fleet.
I have a very good relationship with the dealer and the dealer usually bends over backwards for me to ensure my continued business.

I have their personal mobile numbers and am on whatsapp groups with all the bent staff (recpetion, sales, dealer principal, service advisors, tech, bodyshop, tyres, prep and parts.)
Never do I need to book an appointment or even check in with reception.
I don't need to book appointments for service. I can turn up with any car. Tell them I want it back within 24 hours, and they will bypass the queue for me, car on ramp within 20 mins and I will have the car back normally by the end of the day (if I bring it in early enough.)
I can literally turn up and bypass the entire queue by putting a msg on the group and they will come outside to me almost instantly.

I can call them at will and "tell" them I want a demonstrator for a week (literally any model they have or can get their hands on) and without question they will give it to me.

There has been a time or two where I have been in a similar position to you.
My sales guy and girl advised me the best thing to do in that situation is to call the finance company and "kick off."
As soon as I have done that, miracles have happened!

It does not sound like you have taken out any finance, but if you have, my advice to you would be the same.
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-05-2024, 05:59 AM   #5
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks F30Andy, no finance on my car so my only avenue is the dealership. Not holding out much hope of them being remotely interested to be honest
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1778.50
      05-05-2024, 04:50 PM   #6
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

I would not put up with all this shit. And it is shit!
I would call the salesman you dealt with, tell him/her what you require, and when, or you will cancel the order and expect any deposit back in full.

The standard of service (not just with cars) in this Country is a joke. The only thing these people listen to is if their wages/ jobs/ commission is at risk.

Everybody hides behind emails and bullshit 'meetings'. I get it every day with work. I don't believe a word anybody says anymore. Which is actually quite sad!
Appreciate 5
Hartside278.50
F30Andy1778.50
DB118D1039.50
Wills28698.00
      05-06-2024, 07:46 AM   #7
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post

The standard of service (not just with cars) in this Country is a joke. The only thing these people listen to is if their wages/ jobs/ commission is at risk.

Everybody hides behind emails and bullshit 'meetings'. I get it every day with work. I don't believe a word anybody says anymore. Which is actually quite sad!
I could not agree with you more about much of this...

... except to add, at the end of the day, if you want your car then it's kind of a Hobson's choice, isn't it...

I have no doubt whatsoever that if OP cancels the order, the supplying dealer could sell it to somebody else almost the same day, and the OP would then be another three or four months waiting sourcing a new order from a new dealer, perhaps in a less convenient location...

But, 100%, it is a sad state of affairs when all we can hope for these days is not to get messed about too much....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 2
Pond1908.50
Hartside278.50
      05-07-2024, 05:26 AM   #8
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Sorry, but car sales people are rarely in "meetings" unless you call first thing in the day

They are fobbing you off to the point where you need to kick off. As above, if the GSM doesn't contact you today as promised, go direct to the DP. Sounds like you've managed to catch the lazy lying b*stard of the dealership.

Meantime, I'd be looking at another dealer and availability. Start with TRL and work from there probably.
Appreciate 2
Hartside278.50
Pond1908.50
      05-07-2024, 05:27 AM   #9
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I could not agree with you more about much of this...

... except to add, at the end of the day, if you want your car then it's kind of a Hobson's choice, isn't it...

I have no doubt whatsoever that if OP cancels the order, the supplying dealer could sell it to somebody else almost the same day, and the OP would then be another three or four months waiting sourcing a new order from a new dealer, perhaps in a less convenient location...

But, 100%, it is a sad state of affairs when all we can hope for these days is not to get messed about too much....
Thing is, this sets a precedent for the OP if he doesn't cancel.

What about servicing? Warranty issues? I'd be loathe to take anything back to a dealer I already know is clearly incompetent
Appreciate 2
Hartside278.50
      05-07-2024, 02:16 PM   #10
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Sorry, but car sales people are rarely in "meetings" unless you call first thing in the day

They are fobbing you off to the point where you need to kick off. As above, if the GSM doesn't contact you today as promised, go direct to the DP. Sounds like you've managed to catch the lazy lying b*stard of the dealership.

Meantime, I'd be looking at another dealer and availability. Start with TRL and work from there probably.
I am, and I work in the trade! If I'm not in a meeting I'm invariably meeting with a customer, is that the same thing?
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-08-2024, 04:36 AM   #11
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Things have changed then since I was working in the trade. We'd have a sales meeting daily, usually first thing but that was it unless there were campaign changes or updates.

Still think the OP is being given the runaround. Sounds like a poor salesman has realised his f*ck up and is prevaricating for as long as possible so the delivery wait becomes acceptable.
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-08-2024, 06:00 AM   #12
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2100581

This thread on the UK section is of relevance.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:42 AM   #13
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Things have changed then since I was working in the trade. We'd have a sales meeting daily, usually first thing but that was it unless there were campaign changes or updates.

Still think the OP is being given the runaround. Sounds like a poor salesman has realised his f*ck up and is prevaricating for as long as possible so the delivery wait becomes acceptable.
I think it all depends where you are on the pecking order. I'm in middle so deal with buyers, sellers,(Vauxhall, Enterprise, Used Vauxhall etc) customers, service, valeting, accounts, upper management, supervisors and all of the sales guys so my day gets full very quickly.

My sales guys have one morning meeting from 0830 until 9 and then they are 'free,' BUT they can have back-to-back customer appointments or walk ins / telephone enquiries so very quickly they can lose their day.

But agreed, it needs dealing with.

Thankfully I work in a business where everything gets nipped in the bud, normally if we can within 24 hours, certainly within 48hours. We have found this method just stops any escalation and ill feeling between us and the customer. If you can act swiftly, it is the only way to work with complaints and gain an expedited resolution. I admit not always to both parties satisfaction but it isn't always possible, you can't keep chucking money at something all the time so occasionally we call time out and part ways, but thankfully that's very rare. If we are at fault we hold our hands up and admit it. I try and instill this into my colleagues too!
Appreciate 1
DB118D1039.50
      05-08-2024, 12:06 PM   #14
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2100581

This thread on the UK section is of relevance.
It’s for an AUC, mine is a new purchase but thanks anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:36 PM   #15
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
It’s for an AUC, mine is a new purchase but thanks anyway
Sorry was meant to be posted in Davey90 thread
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-10-2024, 08:44 AM   #16
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Thing is, this sets a precedent for the OP if he doesn't cancel.
I don’t really see shat precedent that might set other than to demonstrate some kind of rashness of thought and action…?

A kind of a “leap before you look” move..?

As the old saying ought to go, if you find yourself up shit creek, then you need to paddle yourself out of it in the best way possible to ensure as little (or none) of the shit actually impacts you…

If he cancels… and then finds out (as is quite likely) there is no new car available for another four or five months (remember, the OP’s is coming in two, if I read the original post right) and the finance deal changes, and the trade in changes.. where does that leave him..? Quite possibly further up shit creek… Would n’t that just be cutting your nose off to spite your face..?

I don’t tend to believe that kicking off gets you anywhere, other than possibly removed from the property for being abusive towards staff… have stood next to folk kicking off in all sorts of places and never once saw any of them get what they were after… Mostly, the folk who do get things resolved are the ones who take a more pragmatic view of these things…

Quote:
What about servicing? Warranty issues? I'd be loathe to take anything back to a dealer I already know is clearly incompetent
There are many dealers you can go to for this… I accept the OP may be a remote place, but I’ve got about 6 within about 30 miles or so and I am hardly in the hotspot of BMW dealers in the UK…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
Pond1908.50
      05-10-2024, 09:13 AM   #17
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don’t really see shat precedent that might set other than to demonstrate some kind of rashness of thought and action…?

A kind of a “leap before you look” move..?

As the old saying ought to go, if you find yourself up shit creek, then you need to paddle yourself out of it in the best way possible to ensure as little (or none) of the shit actually impacts you…

If he cancels… and then finds out (as is quite likely) there is no new car available for another four or five months (remember, the OP’s is coming in two, if I read the original post right) and the finance deal changes, and the trade in changes.. where does that leave him..? Quite possibly further up shit creek… Would n’t that just be cutting your nose off to spite your face..?

I don’t tend to believe that kicking off gets you anywhere, other than possibly removed from the property for being abusive towards staff… have stood next to folk kicking off in all sorts of places and never once saw any of them get what they were after… Mostly, the folk who do get things resolved are the ones who take a more pragmatic view of these things…

There are many dealers you can go to for this… I accept the OP may be a remote place, but I’ve got about 6 within about 30 miles or so and I am hardly in the hotspot of BMW dealers in the UK…
The precedent was that he already knows this specific dealer is useless and if he's accepting of this, then what else ae they potentially going to sh!t all over him for?

And yes, other dealers are available for after sales work, that's not in doubt
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:53 PM   #18
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
I don’t tend to believe that kicking off gets you anywhere, other than possibly removed from the property for being abusive towards staff…
It does make you feel better for about 5 minutes, though.
With age, and experience, you are right; but old habits die hard.

And it is quite fun watching people's reactions when you launch into a tirade of abuse. The secret is to think on your feet. It still never, ever, helps!

"I have been kicked out of better places than this" is my second favourite saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 12:53 PM   #19
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just an update,

Head of Business has been in touch three times today after a letter to him and he has been great. Car is due in July and he has held his hands up to mistakes made internally. Really good proposal made and accepted, with a promise of new sales person, regular updates etc.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18836.50
DB118D1039.50
      05-14-2024, 01:22 PM   #20
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Just an update,

Head of Business has been in touch three times today after a letter to him and he has been great. Car is due in July and he has held his hands up to mistakes made internally. Really good proposal made and accepted, with a promise of new sales person, regular updates etc.
whats that saying about it not being making the mistake in the first place but how you rectify it that matters...

sounds like the head of business has heard it too!
Appreciate 1
Hartside278.50
      05-15-2024, 03:54 AM   #21
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
whats that saying about it not being making the mistake in the first place but how you rectify it that matters...

sounds like the head of business has heard it too!
Absolutely!
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2172.00
isleaiw18836.50
      05-15-2024, 05:18 AM   #22
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just an update,

Sounds like the right outcome. Hopefully the new salesperson isn't an imbecile
Appreciate 0