F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Launches 2012 Olympics Commercial and Test Drives to Benefit US Olympic Team
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool BMW Launches 2012 Olympics Commercial and Test Drives to Benefit US Olympic Team

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Launches 2012 Olympics Commercial and Test Drives to Benefit US Olympic Team
COMMENTS

As previously reported, BMW will be the exclusive automotive sponsor for the 2012 London Summer Olympics. As such, BMW will provide 4,000+ of its cars to transport athletes, officials, media, organizing committee members and other VIPs throughout the Olympics.

BMW has just launched its BMW Drive for Team USA, a national drive program that invites consumers to get behind the wheel and the Olympic Movement in support of U.S. Olympic Team and Paralympic Team hopefuls. The event series travels to 276 BMW retailers across America between June 16 and August 13, 2011. For each participant who test drives a vehicle at one of the BMW Drive for Team USA events, BMW of North America will donate $10 to Team USA, up to a maximum donation of $200,000. Funds raised will work to further the training and performance goals of Team USA athletes.

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

BMW Launches National Fundraising Campaign to Benefit Team USA

Official Mobility Partner of the USOC to Host Hundreds of BMW ‘Drive for Team USA’ Events Nationwide to Fuel Athlete Performance

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 20, 2011… BMW, the Official Mobility Partner of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), today announced BMW Drive for Team USA, a national drive program that invites consumers to get behind the wheel and the Olympic Movement in support of U.S. Olympic Team and Paralympic Team hopefuls. The event series travels to 276 BMW retailers across America between June 16 and August 13, 2011. For each participant who test drives a vehicle at one of the BMW Drive for Team USA events, BMW of North America will donate $10 to Team USA, up to a maximum donation of $200,000. Funds raised will work to further the training and performance goals of Team USA athletes.

BMW Drive for Team USA events will feature Olympic and Paralympic athletes and hopefuls, and other members of the Olympic community. Participants will have the opportunity to meet the athletes and will be personally thanked for their support – all while fostering excitement for the Olympic Movement. The events also include the opportunity to test drive the all-new BMW 650i Convertible and the full lineup of BMW models, as well as to test how the Ultimate Driving Machine measures up against the competition.

“At BMW we understand what it takes to deliver high performance and appreciate the extraordinary personal commitment required of elite athletes hoping to compete on the world’s stage,” said Dan Creed, Vice President, Marketing, BMW of North America. “BMW Drive for Team USA allows us to do exactly what we have pledged from day one: help raise awareness and additional funds for the Olympic Movement, especially in non-Olympic years.”

Event participants will also have the opportunity to cast their vote to select one of the members of the BMW Performance Team, an elite team of Olympic and Paralympic athletes who hope to compete at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Henry Cejudo (wrestling), Ursula Grobler (rowing) and Evelyn Stevens (cycling) are the athletes contending for the remaining spot. A complete roster of BMW Performance Team athletes will be announced this summer.

“This innovative fundraising campaign is a clear demonstration of BMW’s deep commitment to supporting the training and preparation of Team USA,” said USOC Chief Marketing Officer Lisa Baird. “By giving the American public the opportunity to support America’s athletes through the ‘Drive for Team USA’ events, BMW engages fans and consumers and empowers them to make an impact on the success of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Team.”

In support of the BMW Drive for Team USA national drive program, BMW has also launched an Olympic-themed integrated marketing campaign inclusive of radio, print, out-of-home and digital advertising as well as a national television commercial. Debuted in local markets in early June and airing on network cable beginning June 13, the commercial “Runners” features Olympic track & field athletes and hopefuls Jeremy Wariner, Shawn Crawford, Sanya Richards-Ross and Me’Lisa Barber and encourages viewers to lend their support to Team USA by participating in local BMW Drive for Team USA events. Taking inspiration from holographic technology, each runner appears as a different color of the Olympic rings while running alongside black BMW vehicles. A soundtrack by Daft Punk helps to create a sense of dynamic energy and performance.

BMW has a long standing, global commitment to performance-driven sports and looks forward to fueling the athletic performance of Team USA through 2016. In the lead up to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, BMW will apply its resources and technologies to advance the training and performance goals of the Olympic and Paralympic athletes of Team USA. To learn more about BMW Drive for Team USA, or BMW’s partnership with the USOC and National Governing Bodies USA Bobsled & Skeleton, US Speedskating, USA Swimming and USA Track & Field, visit www.bmwusa.com/driveforteamusa and www.bmwusa.com/usoc, respectively.

First BMW 2012 Olympics Commercial:
* Features Daft Punk's "Outlands" track from Tron Legacy

Name:  Drive for Team USA Print Ad.jpg
Views: 11399
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  Drive for Team USA Print Ad 2.jpg
Views: 15035
Size:  156.6 KB

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

So I'm really confused... BMW is a German company but "support team USA"? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
rmani
Buys too many toys...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Ferrari 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
So I'm really confused... BMW is a German company but "support team USA"? lol
LOL I was thinking the same thing
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i got invited and I'm attending my local dealer's test drive. I'm mostly going for the freebies like carbon fiber pens. Yeah that's right, I'm cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
M3forJHV
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nice and RED

I think BMW realizes that most of their sales are in the USA, smart marketing move.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRed3 View Post
I think BMW realizes that most of their sales are in the USA, smart marketing move.
based on what stats?

i thought it was germany actually, with usa next
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
FlashTwoSix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 MotorSport3

BMW NA is BMW AG biggest market. this is why we get better prices and better warranty than even the bmw owners in germany
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
I would think it's not uncommon for companies to support several Olympic teams. They make a lot of $$ off a market share, it makes much sense to support that market on things like this. After all, the world is watching it.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

its all about the MULLAH!...pretty cool though
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

we buy a bunch of those stupid SUVs
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

is it me, or does the front end of the new 6 look like peter lorre?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am invited to this event as well. I wanted to test drive 1M and M3 comp. pkg back to back. I doubt they will have 1M though due to limited production
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 06-25-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I attended the event it was nice for the part that BMW NA. had organized. They gave you free food, a nice BMW logo cap and gave us the new 650i conv. to drive. I enjoyed the overall experience until I asked to see if I can test drive the 2011 comp. pkg M3 coupe.

At which point they introduced me to this sales rep. from the dealership. He made up some lie how they do not have any M3's in stock right now except the one that is stuck in the middle of the showroom.

On my way out when I was leaving I went towards the back side where they had not one but 3 brand new M3's. Too sad because he just lost some future business from me.

As long as the manufacturer does some thing it stays classy as soon as it goes into the hand of the stealership. It goes down the drain. By the way the interior on the new 6er blows away the 7er and 5er. It is by far the best executed luxury interior in the entire lineup. The NAV screen felt like it was huge. As for the rest it sort of reminded me as if I was driving a F10 550i. Nice and fast but not agile by any stretch of imagination.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

Marketing, marketing, and generating enthusiasm for the product. BMW is the official car of the London Olympics. BMW generates huge sales in GB.
Appreciate 0