F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Anyone own a MCoupe(99-2002) or anything that sells for way more than book value?
ARMA SPEED

11-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Anyone own a MCoupe(99-2002) or anything that sells for way more than book value?

Always wanted one but they all seem to be going for much more than KBB or NADA.

My question for anyone who has one and paid dearly for it, how do you insure it?

Going thru a Classic insurer there are limitations I don't want and going thru traditional would leave me very exposed on a total loss.

thanks

themush
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I had mine for a dozen years and it was rear ended three separate times. My insurance was always very easy to deal with. Your insurer should cover the car for whatever you pay for it, just check with them before hand.

I sold mine for almost exactly double KBB's quoted value two years ago, for what that's worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Unless your deadest on the looks of the Z3M coupe, I would highly, highly recommend you get a Z4M coupe instead. There's nothing about the Z3M coupe that is better in my opinion than the Z4M coupe besides perhaps the looks. Amazingly, the prices on the two models are pretty close to even. That just blows my mind because the Z4M is so much more car.

If you insist on getting the Z3M coupe, I wouldn't get a 01-02. They have the S54, and never had the bearing recall that the M3s did. I blew a motor in my 01 Z3M coupe with 44k miles. Those things are ticking time bombs unless they have had the bearings replaced. If you wind up getting an S54 Z3M Coupe, be sure to replace the bearings before you do anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep

I also do like the Z4 M Coupe, but it also has the same basic issue.
I agree there is no issue with repairs, the issue comes with a total loss.

Maybe I am worrying too much over nothing but would like to be totally covered

themush
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Counter the Z3/Z4 issue. The Z3 has tons more usable room, much lower door sills and just looks loads better to my eyes.

Note that gearing in the S52 cars allowed them to be nearly identical to about 100 mph to the later S54 cars (at which point the 3.15 geared S54 started to really walk away from the 3.73 geared S52 cars). However the S52 cars have terrible cooling that was overburdened on the track after about 20 minutes if you don't add the S54 or aftermarket oil cooler. And of course the S54 is a far more engaging motor and the 2001 and 2002 also came in Laguna Seca Blue and Phoenix Yellow.

Probably worth noting that a/c is very challenged in the Z3 MC too and the rear subframes are comically under built, Randy Forbes offers a clean fix though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
sanimirza
Registered
Rep
Drives: wewr

Individuality is the key to distinguish the BMW from the MINI. Which is why the BMW Active Tourer Concept and its sister car the MINI Traveller which will be seen very soon are effectively the same car but you will never know it everything that should be BMW is BMW and everything that is MINI is MINI. From the design , switchear and even how the car acts the brief was always about distinguishing one brand from another.
      11-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
I also do like the Z4 M Coupe, but it also has the same basic issue.
I agree there is no issue with repairs, the issue comes with a total loss.

Maybe I am worrying too much over nothing but would like to be totally covered

themush
I think you're just worrying about it too much. We're only talking about a differences of a few K's between KBB and actual prices. I haven't actually thought about this issue until I saw this thread. It would be completely different if and when in a few years when KBB shows $2Ks and these cars are still selling for $35Ks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
WAGGIN
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i, 2016 228i

With both models in my extended family ('99 Z3MC owned by my aunt, my 07 Z4MC), i can certainly say that the highway stability, comfort, and safety aspects are noticeable. Particularly if you are coming from an E89, you've got much more modern safety as well.

Are you keeping the '09?
      11-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Adamjbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 420i X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanimirza View Post
Individuality is the key to distinguish the BMW from the MINI. Which is why the BMW Active Tourer Concept and its sister car the MINI Traveller which will be seen very soon are effectively the same car but you will never know it everything that should be BMW is BMW and everything that is MINI is MINI. From the design , switchear and even how the car acts the brief was always about distinguishing one brand from another.

Except that the Active Tourer is front wheel drive, that shouldn't be and isn't BMW....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
For insurance, I'd get a bill of sale, and make sure to talk to your adjuster before and after you buy the car.

I couldn't find a coupe in NJ that wasn't at a ridiculous price so I went with a roadster instead. Also, just so you know the m roadster/coupe is a twitchy car in benign driving when the bushings and suspension start to wear out in less than perfect weather. Got into a bad wreck in mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep

I wonder what insurance companies do when one of those ridiculously priced coupes gets totaled.

At the lower end the prices are not that far off but on the low mileage or "rare" colors the price difference can be 15K.

When you say twitchy, compare it to an s2000 pre Stability control better or worse?

I do like the roadsters too and they are a much better value IMO

themush
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326
I wonder what insurance companies do when one of those ridiculously priced coupes gets totaled.

At the lower end the prices are not that far off but on the low mileage or "rare" colors the price difference can be 15K.

When you say twitchy, compare it to an s2000 pre Stability control better or worse?

I do like the roadsters too and they are a much better value IMO

themush
Z3 roadsters are a wet noodle (the coupes were 2.6x stiffer and the Z4 roadster was 2.4x stiffer, with the Z4 coupe being slightly stiffer than the Z3C), at least before adding some chassis reinforcement.

Having said that, both Z3's are a little loose with the E30 trailing arm suspension, soft bushings and ample torque. It's pretty predictable though, once you get used to it. I had no issues in rain and snow, but did have to tone it down a lot from dry conditions of course.

It's less of a snap oversteer situation than the first gen S2k, more similar to the "dumbed down" second gen in my experience, but I've spent more time in the first gen. The big difference between the S2k and MC came down to ill advised torque application in the MC, that seems to be the bigger track mistake I saw from various drivers. The tight wheelbase, a little load up in the bushings and the high spring rate led to a windup effect that Jack in the boxed right in the apex countless times.
Appreciate 0