F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > 2014 MLB World Series
ARMA SPEED

10-22-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
2014 MLB World Series

Here's my play by play summary and take on Game 1 of the 2014 World Series.

"Big Game" James Shields pitching for the Royals didn't have any control coming out of the gate and the Giants got on him right away. Blanco gets a quick single, advances to 2nd on Panik's fly and then scores on Posey's single. Then Panda doubles which scores Blanco but Posey is (again) thrown out at the plate. Pence hits a 400+ ft homer which scores Panda and him. Best comment I heard about this: "Big Game Hunter" Pence. Giants lead 3-0.

This is the 3rd time that Posey has been thrown out a the plate in the post-season. The Giants know that Posey is NOT a fast runner and I have NO idea why the 3rd base coach is waiving Posey in from 1st, when he's really got no chance to score. The same thing happened the last 2 times.

If the situation comes up again, they need to hold Posey on 3rd because he just doesn't have the legs. Funniest comment that I read about this: Posey is as slow as "drying cement." If Posey was held, it there have been men at 2nd & 3rd w/only 1 out w/Pence coming up to bat. The Giants were only "lucky" that Pence was able to hit the 2 out HR. In that BIG outfield, it could have easily been a fly out instead, which would have scored Posey if he was on 3rd, but w/2 out, a fly out would have ended the inning leaving 2 men on base w/only 1 run scored. Not smart.

Bumgarner took several innings to get control of his stuff too and got in trouble in the bottom of the 3rd. After Infante got on base on a Crawford error, Moustakas doubles putting men on 2nd and 3rd. Then Bumgarner walks the bases loaded w/NO outs BUT gets the next 2 guys to strike out and gets Hosmer to ground out. End of the inning and disaster averted for the Giants.

Top of the 4th, the Giants get Shields in trouble again. Pence doubles and gets to 3rd on a wild pitch. Belt walks. Morse singles and Pence scores. Shields is done. Only pitches 3 full innings, gives up a run, leaves 2 men on base w/o getting anyone in the top of the 4th. Giants lead 4-0

Duffy comes in to pitch w/men on 1st & 2nd. Duffy's a starter but they are using him to get some long relief, because they really don't have any relief pitchers who can pitch more than an inning or 2. Perez puts down a sac bunt to move the runners to 2nd & 3rd. Duffy is coming in cold and still doesn't have any control. He walks Crawford -- bases loaded -- then walks Blanco to score Belt. Duffy manages to get things under control and gets the next 2 outs w/the bases still loaded. Could have been MUCH worse for KC. Giants lead 5-0.

Duffy and Bungarner pitch shut out innings through the bottom of the 6th but the Giants get to Duffy again in the top of the 7th. Blanco walks and Panik triples by hitting a ball past Aoki in right field which reaches the wall to score Blanco. Duffy is done. Collins comes in and gets Posey to line out. Panda comes up and singles to score Panik. Panda advances to 2nd on a wild pitch and Pence walks BUT Collins gets his stuff under control and gets the last 2 outs leaving 2 men on base. Giants lead 7-0.

Bumgarner is still looking good in the bottom of the 7th. Gets the 1st two hitters out but gives up a HR to Perez. Gets the last man out and his day is done. Giants lead 7-1.

Bumgarner's consecutive shutout streak in to start his WS career ends at 21 2/3 innings, which is 2nd only to Christy Mathewson, who has 28. His post-season ERA in games away from home is 0.68, which is better than Lefty Grove, Sandy Koufax, Mariano Rivera and Bob Gibson. F*cking incredible!!!

Collins shuts out the Giants in the top of the 8th & Fraser does the same in the top of the 9th. Lopez shuts out KC in the bottom of the 8th and Bochy brings in Strickland -- STRICKLAND, the guy who's already given up 4 HRs in the post season to lefties -- to close the game.

I understand what Bochy was trying to do. He had a 6 run lead and could take a risk on Strickland. He needed to get Stickland out there again to give him another shot at pitching, which would give him some needed play time and some confidence, as well give Casilla (the Giants normal closer) some more rest.

Nonetheless, I was still really worried but Strickland gets Cain (a righty) to strike out but then has to face the lefty Hosmer, who has already hit a couple of HRs in the playoffs. . Hosmer hits a long fly to left that looks like it's going out but it goes foul. I believe a sigh of relief. Then Stickland actually throws some off-speed stuff (instead of heat) to get Hosmer to ground out. Hoorray!!! And then, Strickland strikes out Willingham (another righty) to finish the game. Giants win 7-1.

Bumgarner couldn't hit in this game because of the DH, but he distinguished himself not only w/his pitching but w/his fielding as well. He grabbed a sharp liner that was back to him hit by Aoki in the bottom of the 1st, he fielded a dribbler back to the mound hit by Perez and took his time to throw it to Panik at 2nd for a force and then Panik threw it to 1st to complete a double play AND the Bumgarner also knocked down a broken bat liner hit back to the mound by Hosmer that he had to field and then throw while on his knees to 1st for the out. Those were great fielding plays that more than made up for his throwing error in the top of the 7th in Game 3 of the NLDS vs the Nationals.

Crawford made an error tonight but it was a tough grounder that handcuffed and then popped up on him which prevented him from even finding it. However, he made several other solid plays to make up for the error.

The huge outfield which the KC outfielders play so, well worked just as well for the Giants as it did for them. Several long fly balls that might have gone out in other parks were fielded by them near the wall, as were several KC fly balls that were fielded by Blanco and Pence.

Ishikawa (the hero of Game 5 in the NLCS) only played 3 innings and was taken out of the game in the top of the 4th so that Perez could sac bunt. Perez played the rest of the game in left but there weren't many balls hit there. Ishikawa normally stays in at least 6-7 innings, but the situation dictated the substitution by Bochy at that time.

Bumgarner's WS record is now 3-0 w/an ERA of 0.41. If the Giants take Game 2, he probably won't pitch again but will probably pitch in SF if there is a Game 5.

Hope that Peavy has his good stuff working tomorrow in Game 2. He's going against Ventura who's a hard thrower but was not that much control. The Giants are good fast ball hitters w/a .283 BA against pitchers who throw over 95 mph and, if we get to him early as we did against Shields today, the Game 2 should go to the Giants too, as long as Peavy and the bullpen can keep KC off the bases as Bumgarner was able to do tonight.

Accordingly the the game announcers, 10 out of 11 of the last World Series teams that won Game #1 also won the series. Advantage Giants.

This is the 1st game that the Royals have lost this post season. They had a lot of momentum and confidence coming into this game. The Giants have burst their bubble and we'll see in Game 2 what effect this has had on their mental toughness and confidence.

GO GIANTS!!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

TL;DR version?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Did you hear the pre-game analysts picks? Every one of them picked KC...I hope they get that shoved in their face!!

Last edited by bjbstewart; 10-22-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
GO ROYALS.
      10-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
GO ROYALS.
that is a SoCal vote against the Giants, not a vote for the Royals :-)
      10-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Royals Win Game 2

Game 2 Play by Play:

A hard fought game that featured the grit and determination of each team with lots of managerial manuvering to make it interesting until Bochy makes a bullpen mistake in the bottom of the 6th and the game becomes a blow out for the Royals.

Both pitchers started out shaky. Ventura gave up a HR to the Giants’ lead- off hitter Blanco in the top of the 1st and then settled down to get the rest of the side out. Giants lead 1-0

Peavy gave up a single to KC’s lead off hitter Escobar in the bottom of the 1st who was thrown out trying to steal 2nd; great throw by Posey and catch/tag by Panik. After getting Aoki to fly out, Peavy gave up a double to Cain, walk to Hosmer and single to Butler scoring Cain but was then able to get Gordon to foul out. Game tied 1-1.

In the top of the 2nd, Ventura got 2 quick outs and then gave up a single to Morse who was forced out at 2nd on a grounder by Ishikawa.

However, in the bottom of the 2nd, Peavy again got into trouble. Peavy gets Perez to line out but then gives up a double to Infante. He then gets Moustakas to fly out but gives up a double to Escobar which scores Infante. Aoki lines out to end the inning. Royals lead 2-1.

Panik got a single in the top of the 3rd after Crawford and Blanco ground out but was stranded on 1st when Posey grounded out too. Peavy got his 1st 3 up and 3 down inning in the bottom of the 3rd.

Ventura gets in trouble in the top of the 4th. Gives up doubles to Sandoval and Belt to score 1. Belt gets picked off on 2nd, when he gets confused by a a poor throw and muffed catch after a fly out by Morse, which ends a potential go ahead rally for the Giants. Score tied 2-2.

Peavy seemed to gain more control after the 3rd and gets his 2nd 3 up and 3 down inning in the bottom of the 4th.

Ventura gives up a single to Ishikawa in the top of the 5th who gets forced out on a grounder by Crawford who is stranded on 1st after Ventura gets the next 2 batters out.

Peavy getts his third 3 up and 3 down inning in the bottom of the 5th.

Ventura gets in trouble again in the top of the 6th. His day is done after giving up a single to Posey who leads off the inning and another single to Pence after getting Pablo to ground out.

Herrera, the 1st of the Royals' 3 game closers, takes over. He's consistently throwing 100+ mph heat. Belt is able to get wood on the ball but flies out and then Morse grounds out. Inning saved for the Royals by Herrera.

Peavy also gets into trouble again in the bottom of the 6th, which ends his day, after he walks Cain and gives up a single to Hosmer. Machi comes in and gives up a single to Butler which scores Cain. Lopez comes in to pitch to Gordon who flies out.

Then STRICKLAND comes in to the game to pitch to the next 2 right hand hitters -- Perez and Infante. I don't trust Strickland to even throw to right hand hitters and my concern is proven to be justified.

Stickland throws a wild pitch to move up Hosmer and Gore running for Butler to 2nd and 3rd. Then Strickland gives up a double to Perez that scores Hosmer and Gore. Then Strickland gives up a HR to Infante that scores 2 more.

Strickland loses his cool and starts yelling at Perez at homeplate, who's waiting for Infante, for no apparent reason which causes players to come out from the dugout but there's no fight. Strickland said he was yelling at himself. Perez apparently thought Stickland was yelling at him and then they actually got into a yelling match at each other. Basically a misunderstanding fueled by hot tempers and emotion.

Bochy FINALLY pulls Stickland and puts in Affeldt, who immediately gives up a single to Moustakas but then gets Escobar to hit into a double play, which finally ends a BIG inning for the Royals and a miserable one for the Giants -- largely due to the pitching mistakes of STRICKLAND. Royals lead 7-2.

Strickland has now given up 8 runs (only 6 of which belong to him) on 5 HRs in the post-season this year. I've said it before and I say it again, I don't know what Bochy sees in Strickland and I really hope that we do NOT see him on the mound again in this World Series!!!!

Herrera stays in the top of the 7th -- probably a little longer than he's use to pitching -- and gets into a little trouble by giving up 2 walks but is able to get out of the inning w/o letting the Giants score. Opportunity squandered by the Giants.

Bottom of the 7th, Bochy brings in LINCECUM who hasn't pitched a ball in the entire post-season to date. Timmy actually looks pretty good. Gets a fly out, ground out and strike out. 3 up and 3 down. Good for Timmy!!!

Davis, the 2nd of Royals 3 "closers", comes in to throw a shutout in the top of the 8th.

Lincecum stays in for the bottom of the 8th and gets a strikeout and a foul out and then has an 0-2 count on Perez when he reportedly hurts his back and throws 2 balls and is taken out of the game. Casilla comes in to finish off Perez by getting him to strike out. Weird.

Will have to find out what's wrong w/Lincecum later. If he's not hurt seriously, he gives Bochy an option from the bullpen that he didn't have before and which he can use instead of Machi or Stickland if he needs a short relief right hand pitcher. However, it's not clear yet whether that will be an option or not

Holland, the 3rd of the Royals' 3 closers, comes in to finish the game. He strikes out the side after giving up a bloop single to Crawford. Game over. Royals win 7-2.

Peavy threw a pretty good game and held it a tie until the 6th, when he got in trouble and the bullpen couldn't get him out of it. Both Machi and Strickland are the weakest links in the Giants bullpen and although 2 of the runs were charged to Peavy, their inability to keep the Royals from scoring the 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th was the reason the Giants lost the game.

This game shows how important pitching is to keep the Royals' bats under control and also shows how dangerous the Royals hitters are if you don't.
The game also showcased the Royals' 3 game closers -- Herrera, Davis and Holland -- and showed how they can shut down the game after the 6th if the Royals have a lead.

Fact is, all the Royals needed is the run that Machi gave up to go ahead 3-2, because the Giants didn't score again after HDH came into the game. So, the 4 runs that Strickland gave up really didn't matter, but that doesn't change my opinion of him. He needs to be benched for the duration of the series and used ONLY if absolutely necessary.

So, that makes it a blow out win for each team. Each team as taken the measure of the other and it looks like it's going to be a real dog fight of a series.

Game 3 in SF at 5pm Pacific Time on Friday.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
that is a SoCal vote against the Giants, not a vote for the Royals :-)
Call it what you want... I'm rooting for the Cinderella team.
      10-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Go Royals!
      10-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
Go Royals

I'm only 20 miles from where the games are, and the traffic is crazy, as well as the prices for the tickets. The Royals will pull it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I didn't expect the Giants to take 2 from KC in KC but the manner in which they lost came 2 was very troubling.

For the Giants, Game 2 of the WS vs KC was very similar to Game 2 in the NLCS vs the Cards but with much GREATER negative expectations for the rest of the series.

Peavy was the starting pitcher in both games. He only lasted 4 innings in game 2 of the NLCS and left the game behind 2-0. The Giants were able to earn a run in the 5th, 6th & 7th innings to go ahead 3-2 but then Machi, Strickland and Romo each gave up solo homeruns -- the final a walk off by Wong in the bottom of the 9th -- to give the game away to the Cards.

In Game 2 of the WS, Peavy lasted 5 full innings but returned for the 6th and left w/a 2 men on base w/NO outs. Machi comes in and gives up a single to give the Royals the lead 3-2. Turns out, that's all the Royals really needed to take the game, but then Strickland comes in and gives up a double for 2 more and a homer for 2 more again. Royals lead and then win 7-2.

Because Peavy is really not good for more than 4-5 innings, the bullpen HAD to come in to help him and BOTH times the bullpen did that, they failed him (and the team) and it was essentially the same 2 pitchers who were responsible for those losses. In hindsight, it would have been better to bring in Petit fresh in the top of the 6th but, after Peavy left 2 men on base, Bochy didn't want to do that because he has never been brought Petit in for relief w/men already on base.

Apart from that, I question Bochy using the standard -- lefty v lefty/righty v righty -- stragegy in the bottom of the 6th, which resulted in the 5 runs scored. Personally, I would have brought in the reliever who I thought would give the Giants the best chance to get us out of trouble and throw at least 1 more inning thru the 7th. In my mind, that would have been Affeldt (or possibly Romo). It might not have worked but it would have been no worse of having to use up FIVE relievers in that one inning.

As a result of using all of those relievers, we may have lost Lincecum for the duration of the series because of a back injury AND we have definitely lost ALL faith in Machi and Strickland. So, that only leaves the core 4 relievers -- Lopez, Affeldt, Romo and Casilla -- and Petit, who we use ONLY for long relief, which makes our bullpen look pretty weak against KC's bullpen w/their game closers -- Herrera, Davis and Holland plus Collins, Finnegan and Frasor.

We already know that the Giants and Royals can hit when the pitching is vulnerable. Games 1 and 2 proved that. And, we've already seen what the Royals' "3 headed monster" can do coming out of the bullpen when they've got the lead. AND, we've already seen how easily our bullpen can give up runs to squander a lead (or, in the case of last night, a tie).

So, The key for the next 2 games in SF will be whether Hudson and Volgelsong can give us 6-7 full innings and hold KC's bats in check, so that we take a lead going into the 7th so that our core 4 relievers can hold off KC through the 9th, because we already know that (if the bullpen gives up the lead after the 6th) KC is bringing in Herrera, Davis and Holland (who already shut us down in Game 2) and unless we can beat them to come back from runs that the bullpen gives up, we'll lose.

I think that Hudson can give us 7 in Game 3 of the WS on Friday (like he did in Game 3 of the NLCS) but, unless Vogelsong can pitch like he did in the NLDS vs the Nats, I don't think he can give us 6-7 innings in Game 4. Consequently, I think that the advantage in the series now goes to the Royals, UNLESS the Giants pitching -- both starting and relieving -- can perform as needed.

Of course, we swept the Cards in SF after the loss in St. Louis to take the NLCS. Don't expect that to happen against the Royals. Obviously, would be ecstatic if it did, but I'd be happy w/a 2-3 split to go back to KC needing only to win 1.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very surprised that Bochy would continue to use Strickland, considering he's pretty much been shelled every time he's come in for relief during the playoffs.

From KC's standpoint though, it's fine by them.
      10-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Standing by for the start of Game 3 . . .

Interesting lineup change for the Royals. Aoki replaced by Cain in RF and Dyson goes to CF. Gordon batting 2nd in place of Aoki. Dyson batting 8th.

Yost is obviously concerned about Aoki being able to handle RF at ATT by making these changes. Aoki hasn't looked good fielding in the 1st 2 games in RF in his home park in KC. But, pulling Aoki for Dyson definitely gives up some hitting.

Dyson normally comes in to replace Aoki in CF late in a game, usually as a pitch runner. Dyson doesn't hit as well as Aoki but neither of them has been hitting well during the post-season.

Aoki's post season BA is .206 and Dyson's is ZERO (0 for 7). Gordon isn't better than Aoki either at .176. Gordon is definitely in a slump -- going 0 for 16 in the last 5 post season games against the Orioles (3) and Giants (2). Guess, Yost is just hoping that Gordon will come out of his slump soon.

Put this together w/the fact that the Royals pitchers have to hit and can only use Butler ONCE to PH for a pitcher, because there's no DH, and the edge in hitting in this game goes to the Giants.

So, if the Giants can score off of Guthrie and if Hudson can hold a lead going into the 7th, that will keep the Royals' game closers -- Herrera, Davis & Holland -- out of the game and negate the Royals' edge in the bullpen, which should result in a Giants win.

BTW, interesting factoid from Game 2, ALL of the Giants in the starting lineup each had a ONE hit during the game. Only problem was that, except for Blanco's HR in the 1st and Belt's & Pablo's doubles in the 4th -- all of the other hits did not combine to generate any additional runs.
      10-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Royals Win Game 3

Game 3 Play by Play:

Nuts! Hudson doesn't look that good coming out of the blocks.

Gives up a double in top of the 1st on the 1st pitch fastball up to Escobar, who hit it into the left field corner (looked like it was going out of the park) and then advances to 3rd and scores on 2grounders. In fact, the entire side grounds out, which is what happens when Hudson is pitching well.

Guthrie looks better than Hudson gets 3 up/down in bottom of the 1st on just 9 pitches. Cain robs Posey of a single w/a great catch. Royals up 1-0.

Hudson throwing a lot of pitches and still doesn't look sharp. Gives up a single to Moustakas and a walk to Infante. 2 on and no outs in the top of the 2nd. Perez hits a liner to left and Ishikawa prevents a double on a great catch. Hooray! Dyson hits into a double play. The loss of the DH and Yost's defensive moves helped to avert a 2nd inning disaster for Hudson.

Guthrie not looking as sharp in bottom of the 2nd. 3-2 count to both Pablo and Pence. Pablo flies out. Pence runs out a single but gets thrown out trying to steal 2nd. Belt singles and Ishikawa hits a liner to right that Cain catches to prevent a double and a run scored. Yost's decision to put Cain in RF the difference maker in that inning. Royals still lead 1-0.

Pitchers settle down in the 3rd. Both get 3 up/3 down. Hudson gets 1st K.
Hudson looks like he finally found his groove. 3 up/3 down in top of 4th; gets 2nd K.

Panik/Posey/Pablo up in the bottom of the 4th. Running out of innings to take the lead. Need to do something NOW! Guthrie still pitching too well. 3 up and 3 down for him again. Royals still lead 1-0.

Hudson gets 3 up and 3 down again in top of 5th. 5 full innings giving up 1 run on 2 hits, 1 BB and 2 Ks. He's retired 11 in a row.

The Giants are getting the wood on the ball, but the balls are going straight to fielders. Pence and Belt hit hard hit liners to infielders and Ishikawa grounds out. Another 3 up/3 down inning for Guthrie, who has now retired 10 straight.

Game is turning into a pitcher's duel. Would be a shame for Hudson to get the loss in his 1st and possibly only appearance in the WS because of just 1 pitching mistake. Royals still lead 1-0.

Oh no! Hudson gives up a single and a double to score another run for the Royals. Leaves the game w/1 on 2nd w/2 out. Hudson gave up fewer runs than he did against the Nationals in the NLCS but didn't get the same run support because Guthrie is pitching so well.

Lopez coming in to get last out; Lincecum warming up. Lopez gives up a single to Hosmer (who battled off 10 pitches) to score another run (charged to Hudson) before getting a K to end the inning. Royals lead 3-0.

NOT looking good for SF. Giants have to score in the bottom of the 3rd or Yost will bring in Herrera, Davis and Holland to close out the game.

Finally, Guthrie gets in trouble in bottom of the 6th. Single to Crawford and double to Morse to score a run. Guthrie leaves the game w/no outs, Morse on 2nd; gave up only 1 run on 4 hits w/no BBs or Ks.

Herrera coming in w/his 100+ heaters but he walks Blanco on just 4 pitches. 2 on and no outs. Panik advances the runners to 2nd & 3rd on a infield grounder. Morse scores on Posey's grounder (run charged to Guthrie) and Pablo grounds out to end the inning. NOT enough. Royals lead 3-2.

Bochy goes w/Romo instead of Lincecum in top of 7th. Strikes out 1st batter but gives up a single to Dyson after getting another out. That brings Herrera up to bat -- Yost doesn't want to take him out. Herrera has NEVER swung the bat in the majors OR minors. Of course, he strikes out and NOW he knows how it feels to be on the other end of the pitches. LOL!!!

Time's running out. Herrera doesn't usually go more than 1 inning. He's already pitched one full inning. Gave up 2 walks in 2nd inning that he pitched in Game 2 to bail out Ventura but he was able to shut down the Giants w/o a score. Let's see what happens now.

Herrera walks Pence and strikes out Belt but gets pulled for a lefty to pitch to Ishikawa; threw 27 pitches but seldom throws more than 30 in a game. That's the weakness of the "3 headed monster." If you can make them work, they get tired out BUT the Giants haven't had the chance to really do that yet this series. Finnegan coming in for Herrera. 1 on and 1 out.

Managerial move. Bochy pinch hits Perez (righty) for Ishikawa vs Finnegan. Perez flies out. 1 on 2 out. Affeldt warming up. Crawford strikes out. KC's bullpen advantage at work. Royals still lead 3-2.

Romo still pitching in top of the 8th. Stikes out Escobar. Affeldt comes in and Arias subs for Crawford at SS. Affeldt gets fly out and grounder.

Davis pitcing for Royals in bottom of the 8th. Arias strikes out. Blanco tries to bunt his way on but Perez throws him out and Panik strikes out. Davis does his job as the #2 game closer. Holland should come in to close out the bottom of the 9th to face the middle of the order -- Posey, Pablo and Pence.

Affeldt stays in to pitch in the top of the 9th and gets the 1st 2 outs -- a fly out and grounder. Casilla comes in to get a K to close out the inning. Here comes the bottom of the 9th. Do or die for the Giants.

Giants are dead! Holland gets 3 up/3 down. Royals win 3-2 and lead the series 2-1. Overall a very well played game by both sides. The difference in the game was the pitching. The Royals pitching was better -- Hudson gave up 3 runs charged to him vs Guthrie's 2. The bullpen's were a push both giving up 1 run (each charged to the starters) and then holding the opposition scoreless from the 7th thru the 9th.

Giants MUST win Game 4 to tie the series at 2-2, but w/Vogelsong pitching no guarantee of that. I'd like to see Petit come in to start Game 4 but then Bochy would have no middle relief but w/the series on the line I think it would be worth the risk.

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Standing by for Game 4.

Same line-up as last night for KC, which worked well for them. Change in lineup for SF - Pence to 4th, Pablo to 5th and Perez in for Ishikawa (apparently for defensive reasons. Word is that Vargas, like Bum, can hit. So, the edge in hitting is diminished especially since Dyson got a hit last night.

Hoping for a good performance from Vogelsong but not optimistic about that. Only saving grace is that Petit should come up behind him but, if V gives up too many runs, the Giants are done even if Petit pitches another shutout for 3 innings unless they can score runs to lead going into the 6th/7th.

Probably won't see Herrera in the 6th/7th again tonight because he's pitched so much already but if Finnegan comes in instead that's a no sum gain for the Giants given what Finnegan did last night. Defense has been good on both sides, so unless the Giants can hit the ball where they're not, it will be difficult for them to score any runs.

Really comes down to the Giants hitting and KC's starter -- Vargas. If the Giants can get some runs against him early, we should have a chance. If not, it looks doubtful that the Giants can take the series. Not impossible, but highly doubtful if they go down 3-1, even if they win Game 5. We'll see . . .

Last edited by SSW; 10-25-2014 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #15
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Game 4 Play by Play:

Vogelsong looked pretty good in the stop of the 1st getting 2 Ks and a grounder but gave up a single.

Vargas had control problems in bottom of the 1st. Walked Blanco who advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch and then stole 3rd. Panik popped out and Posey walked. Men on 1st and 3rd. Pence grounds into what looks like a double play but he runs it out and Blanco scores. Pablo strikes out to end the inning. Again, the Giants score a run w/o a hit and really had to grind to get it.

Vogelsong again gives up a single in the top of the 2nd but is able to get the other 3 batters out w/o too much trouble. Vargas regains his control in the bottom of the 2nd -- 3 up and 3 down -- on 2 fly outs and a grounder.

Vogelsong BLOWS UP in the top of the 3rd!! Gets the pitcher Vargas to fly out but then gives up a single to Escobar who is forced out on a grounder by Gordon. 2 out w/a man on 1st. Just needs to get one out to get out of the inning.

Gordon steals 2nd. Cain hits a hard to reach grounder to SS that he beats out. Men on 1st and 3rd, 2 out. Then Hosmer bloops a grounder into no man's land between the mound and 1st which Belt fields but Volgie doesn't go straight to 1st base and Hosmer beats him to the bag. Gordon scores. Game tied 1-1.

Men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Vogie walks Moustakas. Bases loaded, 2 out. Then Infante singles, scoring Cain and Hosmer. Royals lead 3-1. Men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Then Perez singles scoring Moustakas. Men on 1st and 2nd, 2out. Royals lead 4-1.

Bochy finally takes Vogie out BUT then brings in MACHI!!!! Machi walks the 1st batter. Bases loaded, 2 out. The pitcher Vargas comes up and Machi falls behind 3-2 but is able to strike Vargas out. End of an AWFUL inning for the Giants, which might cost them the game and the series.

Bottom of the 3rd. Duffy PH for Machi singles. Blanco grounds out; Duffy to 2nd. Posey singles scoring Duffy. Pence singles. Men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Pablo strikes out reaching; not a patient at bat. Passed up a ball or 2 right down the middle. K kills a potential rally w/a RISP. Royals lead 4-2.

Finally, Petit comes in in top of the 4th. Gets 3 up and 3 down w/one K but gives up a LONG fly by Gordon to dead center field which is caught by Blanco.

Giants need to score 2-3 runs QUICK! Belt strikes out. Perez singles. Crawford flies out. Petit (THE PITCHER) singles!! Men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Blanco pops out. ANOTHER squandered scoring opportunity w/a RISP for the Giants. Royals still lead 4-2.

Running out of innings. Top of the 5th. Hosmer gets a lead off double. But Petit gets the next 3 out, one a K. In the bottom of the 5th, Vargas gives up a double to Panik who hits the ball into Triples Alley but Cain cuts off the ball and robs Panik of a triple. End of the night for Vargas.

Frasor pitching. Posey grounds out; Panik advances to 3rd. Pence singles, scoring Panik. Royals lead 4-3.

Duffy pitching. Pablo singles, Pence advances to 3rd. Perez flies to center. Dyson's great catch robs Perez of a single but Pence tags and scores. Belt walks. Runners on 1st & 2nd w/2 outs. Crawford strikes out AGAIN leaving a RISP. Another chance to score more runs (and in this case to go ahead) squandered. But the Giants have fought back to tie the game at 4-4.

Top of the 6th. Petit still pitching. Dyson singles. Aoki PH for Duffy grounds into a double play (1st to 2nd to 1st). Pop out by Escobar ends the inning. Petit struck out 2 and has given up only 2 hits in 3 shut out innings!!!!!

Bottom of the 6th. Let's see who's pitching for the Royals. Finnegan is pitching. Arias PH for Petit gets a broken bat single!!! Blanco singles. Runners on 1st & 2nd, no outs Panik puts down a perfect sac bunt. Runners on 2nd & 3rd, 1 out. Posey walked intentionally. Bases loaded, 1 out. Pence grounds to SS, FC forcing Arias out Arias at the plate. Runners at Bases still loaded, 2 out. Pablo singles to center, Blanco and Posey score. Runners on 1st & 2nd, 2 out. Belt singles scoring Pablo. Perez grounds out. Inning over. Giants battle back to lead 7-4.

This is the 1st time in 4 attempts this season that Posey has scored while running on base this post season; he'd been thrown out at the plate twice trying to run from 1st to home and once trying to score on a wild pitch. Posey was on 2nd when Pablo singled, so I guess it made it easier but the throw did get to the catcher about the same time as Posey touched home, only the throw was a little late and the catcher was about 6 feet away and couldn't tag him. Boy is Posey SLOW!!!

Top of the 7th. Affeldt pitching. Perez makes a great catch on a fly to left by Gordon to save a double. Cain lines out to 3rd. Hosmer hits a dribbler down the 1st base line and Affeldt slips fielding it. That's the 2nd weak infield hit that Hosmer got tonight. Runner on 1st, 2 outs. Moustakas grounds out to 2nd. Giants still lead 7-4.

So, who's pitching for the Royals in the bottom of the 7th? Surprise, Finnegan still pitching. Crawford finally gets a hit, an infield bouncer than he runs out. Now everyone in the line-up has gotten a hit for the Giants. Finnegan walks Morse PH for Affeldt. Romo warming up for Giants.

Collins coming in to pitch. Nix to 3rd for Moustakas. Runners on 1st & 2nd, no outs. Blanco bunts. Collins throws the ball away. Crawford scores, Morse to 3rd and Blanco on 1st. 2 on, no outs. Giants lead 8-4.

Panik doubles to center scoring Morse & Blanco. Giants lead 10-4. Runner on 2nd, no outs. Posey grounds out, Panik advances to 3rd. Pence doubles to right, Panik scores. Giants lead 11-4. Runner on 2nd, 1 out.

No one warming up for the Royals. Hanging Collins out to dry. Don't want to use HDH in a losing game. Pablo pops out. Belt walks. Runners on 1st & 2nd, 2 out. Perez strikes out stranding 2. Inning over. Giants BLOW it open. Bat around in the inning and lead 11-4.

Top of the 8th. Romo pitching. Gives up a single but gets the side out w/a fly out, grounder and K. Bottom of the 8th. Is Collins still pitching? Yes, he is and he gets 3 up and 3 down after an awful 7th inning for him. Crawford strikes out again; only 1 for 4 for the night. Ishikawa PH for Romo lines out. And Blanco grounds out.

Top of the 9th. Oh shit! STRICKLAND pitching again. Assume Bochy wants to give him yet ANOTHER chance to get it right. Should be ok w/a 7 run lead BUT I'd rather see Casilla in there. This is no time for ON THE JOB training!!!!

Stickland strikes out Escobar but gives up a double to Gordon on a fastball up in the zone. Cain flies out to right and Pence makes a great catch to prevent a double or more. Then Hosmer grounds back to Strickland. GAME OVER!!! Giants win 11-4 and tie the series 2-2.

Petit is the game saver and gets the win. He's 3-0 in the post season. Vogelsong got hammered and got knocked out in the 3rd; same as in the NLCS. And Petit saved his ass and the Giants ass again. The Giants were finally able to get to Vargas in the 5th, who was charged w/3 runs, one less than Vogelsong but a run one lead was not enough for the Royals tonight because their middle relievers -- Frasor, Finnegan and Collins -- gave up 8 runs in the 5th, 6th and 7th innings, which kept the 3 closers -- Herrera, Davis and Holland out of the game.

After Petit left in the 6th, the Giants relievers were able to shut out the Royals for 3 innings through the 9th, which they were unable to do in Game 2 or 3. So, in this game, despite a weak start, the Giants bullpen out pitched the Royals and the Giants hitters were finally able to face the Royals weaker middle relievers to make the game another blowout. In fact 11 batters in the Giants lineup got a hit, which apparently is a WS record. In fact, the Giants got a total of 16 hits (8 of them off Finnegan & Collins in the 7th) but the Royals also got 12 hits (7 off of Volgelsong, 5 of them in the 3rd).

So, the Giants pitching always has to be ON, in order to keep the Royals bats under control. Any weakness and the Royals batters will do justwhat they did to Volgelsong in the 3rd and ring up a lot of runs, just as the Giants did to their bullpen in the 7th. Only "problem" in the game from the Giant's standpoint was that Herrera, Davis and Holland were not use and will be well rested for Game 5. So, the Giants will again need to score early and often in order to keep them out of Game 5 & 6 (and 7, if there is one).

Of course, I'd be happier if the Giants just swept the Royals but they are a good team and this is turning out to be one of the BEST World Series matches in a LONG TIME. It will be BEST IMO if the Giants win, but regardless who wins, each team is doing all they can to win and it should be interesting to anyone who is seriously interested in baseball.

Bumgarner pitches vs Shields again tomorrow night. If Bumgarner can pitch a full 7 innings and if the Giants can hit Shields like they did in Game 1, the Royals may have to go back to their "tired" middle relievers again, which should make it easier for the Giants to add on runs to keep Herrera, Davis and Holland out of the game. Advantage: Giants.

GO GIANTS!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Standing by for Game 5.

A couple of lineup changes for the Royals and Giants. Perez who is getting hot is moved up from 6th to 5th and Moustakas is moved back from 5th to 6th. Otherwise the lineup remains the same. The move to put Dyson in CF and Cain in RF has paid off in the field with some great catches by Dyson & Cain because of their great speed and range but that didn't stop the Giants from blowing up last night. Dyson has also hit a couple of times, which was unexpected given his BA, but the Royals were not able to capitalize on those hits and for some reason (probably because they were behind) Dyson did not attempted to steal while on base.

Pablo is back to clean up batting left (his strong side) vs righty Shields. Pence moved back to 5th but, given how well Pence is hitting, I question whether the change is necessary. Ishikawa is back in the line up, batting 7th and in LF again for this game. Not sure why, since Perez did an excellent job in LF yesterday (with one great hit saving catch) as well as a key hit and sac fly. Ishikawa is arguably a better hitter than Perez but Perez is unquestionably better in LF. More than likely, Bochy is hoping for some early pop from Ishi's bat and will platoon Perez out to LF later in the game (as he usually does) to improve defense in the late innings.

Otherwise, its Bumgarner vs Shields. If they both perform as previously, the advantage obviously goes to Bum. The Royals middle relievers were used up last night and it will be good for the Giants if they can score and knock out Shields early, as they did in Game 1, because Yost will have a hard time figuring out who to use in middle relief unless he wants to did into his 3-headed monster early in order to stem the bleeding.

They are all rested and he could go to Herrera and Davis as early as the 5th and 6th or 7th but then he'll still need to bring someone in to bridge the gap to the 8th. But, if Shields gets knocked out in the 3rd, as he was in Game 1, Yost will really be in a pickle and it should be easy pickings for the Giants regardless of who he throws in there. Should just be like BP for the Giants if that happens.

GO GIANTS!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-26-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

Shields is pitching well tonight, albeit behind in the 5th 2-0. Bumgarner is pitching better.

Last edited by GarySL; 10-26-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: 5th inning
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #18
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Game 5 play by play:

In the top of the 1st, Bumgarner gave up a bloop hit to center to Cain who was reaching for the pitch but otherwise looked very good retiring all other batters getting a K on Hosmer in the process w/his "slurve." In the top of the 1st, Shields looks like he has control of his pitches this time around. Gave up a solid hit to Posey but go the rest of the side out on a fly ball and 2 grounders. Score 0-0.

Top of the 2nd. Bum gives up an infield ground ball hit to Perez but then strikes out the side after Moustakas worked the count and battled off a number of fly balls w/o success. 4 Ks & 28/22 pitches/strikes for Bumgarner thru 2. The Giants worked Shield for a run in the bottom of the 2nd on an hard hit grounder past Escobar at SS and a BUNT single by Belt. Men on 1st & 2nd. Ishikawa's sac fly to center advanced the runners to 2nd & 3rd. Crawford grounded out to 2nd which scored Pence and Bum grounded out to 3rd w/ Belt on 3rd in scoring position to end the inning. Giants lead 1-0.

Top of the 3rd. Bum has his good stuff working. 2 fly balls and another K for a total of 5Ks to end the inning. Bottom of the 3rd. Shields gets 3 up and 3 down on 2 grounders and a fly ball. Both pitchers demonstrating excellent control, each only throwing 40 pitches thru the 3rd, which means each pitcher is working at a pace to continue pitching thru the 7th inning, which favors the Royals if they can take a lead. Giants still up 1-0.

Top of the 4th. Bum gets 3 up and 3 down on 3 very close plays at 1st -- one a hard hit grounder deep to SS that Cain almost ran out, one a tricky grounder to 3rd that almost scooted under Pablo's mitt and another dribbler between 1st and 2nd that Belt fielded and slid into 1st to beat the runner. Bum has thrown only 50 pitches thru the 4th. Bottom of the 4th. Despite have control of his off-speed pitches, Shields gives up 3 hits to Pablo, Ishikawa and Crawford for another run but ironically strikes out the side. Bum had a chance to add another run w/2 on but was one of those who struck out. 2nd time Bum batted w/a RISP. Giants lead 2-0.

Top of the 5th. Infante gets a double on a fly to left misplayed by Ishikawa but Bum gets the rest of side out on a liner to SS and 2 more Ks. A total of 7 Ks for Bum on 64 pitches. Bottom of the 5th. Shield almost gets into trouble and Cain saves him. Blanco grounds out. Panik singles and advances to 2nd on a WP. Then Posey walks. Runners on 1st & 2nd. Pablo strikes out swinging at a couple of bad pitches. Pence flies deep into the right center gap but Cain runs a long way and catches the ball. 2 RISP LOB again. Giants still lead 2-0.

Top of the 6th. 3 up and 3 down for Bum on 80 pitches. Bottom of the 6th. Shields gives up a single to Ishikawa after Belt flies out Perez comes in to pinch run and take over at left. Crawford grounds out and Perez advances to 2nd. Bum pops up foul for 3rd out. Third time Bum was batting w/a RISP left stranded. Thought Bum could hit. Shields is pitching well; just not as well as Bum. Giants still lead 2-0.

Top of the 7th. Bum gives up a single to Hosmer but gets the next 3 batters - 3 up and 3 down. 95 pitches thru the 7th. Bottom of the 7th. Herrera coming in for Shields. Gives up a walk to Panik after getting Blanco to ground out and Posey hits into a double play. Giants still lead 2-0.

Top of the 8th. Bum still pitching but probably on a short leash. Butler's expression is classic when he gets struck out looking at a called 3rd strike!!!

3 up and 3 down w/one more K for a total of 8 on 107 pitches. Hope he's allowed to try to throw a complete game. Bottom of the 8th. Pablo and Pence single back to back to knock out Herrera. Davis coming in to pitch. Belt strikes out and THEN . . .

Perez hits a ball just INCHES below the top of the center field wall (although it doesn't look like it in the only pic that I could find of the hit off the wall; check a video for verification) just left of the 399 ft mark -- he probably hit it over 400 ft and it still didn't go out!!! -- for a double that scores Pablo and Pence.

NO ONE has hit a HR off of Davis all season (or during the post season) and Juan Perez (one of the weakest hitters on the Giants) almost did it!

Perez to third on an error by Salvador Perez (the catcher) who missed the relay to the plate thrown to try to catch Pence. Crawford singles scoring Perez. Bumgarner batting which means he's pitching in the 9th. Davis strikes out Bumgarner and Blanco to end the inning but the Giants score 3 runs off the 2 of the 3 head of the 3-headed monster bullpen for the Royals. Giants lead 5-0.

Top of the 9th. Bumgarner pitching, Casilla warming up. 3 up and 3 down on 10 pitches!!!!! Bumgarner throws a F*CKING complete game SHUTOUT of the Royals on 117 pitches, 4 Hits, no Walks and 8Ks. Career WS record is now: 4-0, 0.29 ERA and .120 BAA.

F*CKING INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Giants win 5-0. Lead series 3-2.

GO GIANTS!!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

BOOOOM

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Post Game 5 thoughts:

The last time a GIANT pitcher threw a complete game shutout in the World Series was when Jack Sanford -- You ALL remember him, don't you? -- pitched a 1-0, 3 hit shutout against the Yankees in Game 2 of the 1962 World Series at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. That was 52 YEARS ago!

Unfortunately, the Giants lost the deciding 7th game of that series when Bobby Richardson (the Yankee's 2nd baseman) caught Willie McCovey's hard line drive between 1st and 2nd with 2 outs and Willie Mays and Matty Alou on 2nd and 3rd (following Alou's bunt single and Mays' double) in the bottom of the 9th to end the game with a 1-0 win for the Yankees that also gave them the series.

If that ball had NOT been caught, 2 runs would have scored and the Giants would have won the 1962 World Series and it wasn't until 2010 that the Giants were able to win their 1st World Series after moving to San Francisco. Before then, the last World Series that the Giants won was in New York in 1954. The SF Giants appeared in the 1989 and 2002 World Series but were swept by the A's in the 1989 series and lost in Game 7 of the 2002 Series to the Angels -- which was the last time that 2 wild card teams met in a World Series.

The last pitcher from ANY team in MLB to throw a complete game shut out in the World Series was when Josh Beckett -- What ever happened to him? Oh, yeah, he's playing for the DODGERS!!! -- threw a 2-0, 5 hit shutout for the Marlins vs the Yankees to win that series for the Marlins -- Couldn't happened to a better team TWICE!! -- at Yankee Stadium in 2003. And that was 11 years ago.

So, Bumgarner's complete game 5-0, 4 hit shutout vs the Royals yesterday is all that more amazing!!!

It bothered me to hear the Fox Broadcasters -- Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds -- say that the "right" thing for Bochy to do would have been to pull Bumgarner OUT of the game if the Giants scored some more go ahead runs in the 8th. That absolutely made NO sense to me.

Seems to me if that a pitcher is grooving and has the ability going into the 9th to throw a complete game w/a 5 RUN cushion, you should let him try do that because odds are that he'll continue to throw well and, even if he doesn't, you've a bullpen to bail him out. Bumgarner had only thrown 107 pitches up to that point, was still throwing good stuff that no one could touch and didn't looked gassed.

GIVE HIM THE BALL and let him pitch!!!! AND, that's exactly what Bochy did. Bochy lets Bumgarner hit in the bottom of the 8th, which means he's also letting Bumganer finish the game, and Bumgarner goes in to pitch the top of the 9th and needs only 10 more pitches to get the 3 outs to complete the shutout. FANTASTIC!!!!

Here's an interesting post game quote from Bochy about why he let Bumgarner pitch in the 9th:

"He was throwing too good. "Game's not over. I would have felt worse if I had taken him out and something would have happened, when you've got a guy out there rolling the way he was."

Bochy must have been thinking about Game 2 of the NLDS vs the Nationals, when Matt Williams took the ball out of Zimmerman's hands in the top of the 9th after throwing 8 2/3 shutout innings and leading 1-0 to bring in the "closer" Storen, who gave up the hits which allowed the Giants to tie the game 1-1 and led to the HR that Belt hit in the top of the 18th inning to win the game for the Giants 2-1. In fact, without that win, the Giants might not even be in the WS now.

Bochy just schooled Williams on why that it doesn't always pay to manage a baseball team BY THE BOOK (which is how Williams explained why he took Zimmerman out of the game w/only one on and one out to go -- "that's what we do in that situation") and just proved why he's a managerial genius, especially when it comes to the post season and the World Series.

Granted, the score in the Nationals game was 1-0 with the tying run on base and the winning run at the plate. So, the circumstances were a little different BUT sometimes it just doesn't pay to play by the book. Sometimes you just have to go w/your gut, which is what Bochy does more often than not.

Finally, here are some disturbing FACTS about the World Series published by the Kansas City Star last night:

"The winner of World Series game five Sunday will need just one victory in the final two games to take the championship, but recent history has favored game-five losers.

Seven of the last 11 teams to win a game five in a tied Series eventually lost: the 1982 Brewers, the 1986 Red Sox, the 1987 Cardinals, the 1991 Braves, the 2001 Yankees, the 2002 Giants and the 2011 Rangers. The last four winners: the 1996 Yankees, the 1997 and 2003 Marlins and the 2013 Red Sox.

Overall, however, game-five winners in a tied World Series have a 28-15 edge in winning the championship, or 65.1 percent.

The Giants have been tied at two games apiece in seven previous World Series and won the title only one time — in the 1921 Series over the Yankees, when it was a best-of-nine affair and the Giants won in eight."
See: Hope for Royals.

Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself for this Giants team.

GO GIANTS!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thoughts on Game 6 coming up.

If both managers go w/their prior rotation as indicated, Game 6 is going to be a repeat of Game 2 with Peavy throwing against Ventura. Neither pitcher looked sharp in Game 2, both giving up 2 runs for a 2-2 tie through the 5th and both pitchers getting into trouble in the 6th.

Herrera was able to come in to save Ventura from a possible loss in the top of the 6th by getting the last 2 outs w/2 men still on base but Peavy, who ended up getting charged w/2 of 5 runs scored by the Royals in the bottom of the 6th, wasn't so lucky. The other 3 runs were charged to the inept bullpen pitchers -- Machi and Strickland -- who took over for Peavy. As it turned out, the 2 runs charged to Peavy were all the Royals needed to win the game BUT the recap of this inning should be instructive to Bochy.

Peavy is good for about 5-6 innings BUT definitely NO MORE than 2 full rotations through lineup. After that, he's vulnerable. I don't have the stats (they were posted on the MLB channel or by Fox) but there is a distinct difference in the BAA (batting average against) for Peavy before and after the opposing team has "seen him" 2 times through the line up and it doesn't get better for Peavy after the other team gets that 2nd look, it get's MUCH, MUCH worse.

Based on this knowledge, I think that Bochy should put in Petit to relieve Peavy BEFORE Peavy faces the Royals lineup for the 3rd time and he should let Peavy know that's what he's going to do. If Bochy had done that in the 6th inning of Game 2, it would probably still have been a tied game going into the 7th and the Giants would have had a chance to win that game and might be celebrating a WS win now. Doesn't matter that Peavy only threw 66 pitches when he was finally removed.

Petit only threw 33 pitches in 3 innings two days ago in Game 4 and threw 80 pitches in 6 innings during Game 2 of the NLDS. So, I don't think he'll have any problem coming in back in tomorrow on 3 days rest to pitch 30-50 pitches more, if he's needed to save Peavy's ass.

If Petit had started the 6th in Game 2 of the WS, we might have won that game and would have been 2-0 going back to SF where we only needed to win 2 out of 3 (which we did) to win the series. Because Bouchy didn't let Petit pitch in the 6th, the Giants lost that game and we have to go back to KC to try to win just one more game to win the series -- but it definitely will NOT be easy to do that.

Egos don't matter at this point. The Giants just need to win and if they have to yank Peavy early to do that, so be it. I just hope that Bochy agrees.

GO GIANTS!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #22
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Love your insight and thoughts on the game, it's much appreciated!

GO GIANTS!!!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0