F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Using a temporary SIM in an iPhone - issues?
proTUNING Freaks

03-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Using a temporary SIM in an iPhone - issues?

We’re spending 4 days in Dubai on the way out to the Far East. The UAE isn’t covered by the global roaming plan and the charges for using my existing Voxi (part of Vodafone) contract there are insane - appears to be £1200 per GB for data. So the risk of data switching itself back on would be very costly.

The alternative is to use a temporary local SIM while we’re there. What I’m keen to avoid is this messing up my Apple account, by adding another number to FaceTime etc. it’s really just data I’d like to use while there.

Any views on this? Will a temporary SIM for 4 days cause any complications?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:56 AM   #2
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I got a local eSIM when I went to Canada in November, I just turned off roaming for my regular SIM but left it in the phone, so the number is still there and it doesn't mess up iMessages etc.

Yes, I had a local extra number for a few days, but when I deleted the eSIM after I left it all disappeared again.

It was completely painless.

In some cases, if you get a data only eSIM, there isn't even a phone number associated with it, and you don't have the complication of the extra phone number.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      03-29-2024, 06:02 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
We’re spending 4 days in Dubai on the way out to the Far East. The UAE isn’t covered by the global roaming plan and the charges for using my existing Voxi (part of Vodafone) contract there are insane - appears to be £1200 per GB for data. So the risk of data switching itself back on would be very costly.

The alternative is to use a temporary local SIM while we’re there. What I’m keen to avoid is this messing up my Apple account, by adding another number to FaceTime etc. it’s really just data I’d like to use while there.

If you are flying private, when you land at DWC there will be a concierge waiting to take you through who will also arrange set up of your mobile devices for while you are staying in the emirate.

If you land at DXB as regular commercial and go through passport control, you will be given a free package for tourists by the guy/girl that stamps your passport.
This package contains a physical sim card (valid for 30 days) and also instructions of how to activate it as an E-sim.
It will not mess up your phone or settings and is substantially cheaper than trying to use your UK phone.

There will also be kiosks just before you exit the airport to the taxi ranks where they will sell you a local sim/esim and also set it up for you. This sim will not be restricted to 30 days.

Your other option is to go to one of the many malls and buy a cheap handset and local sim, but be warned you will need to take your passport with you.
Always easier to do it at the airport.

Where will you be staying in Dubai?
Do you have anything planned for while you are there?

Let me know if you want any suggestions or a rental car.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      03-29-2024, 10:03 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
If you are flying private, when you land at DWC there will be a concierge waiting to take you through who will also arrange set up of your mobile devices for while you are staying in the emirate.

If you land at DXB as regular commercial and go through passport control, you will be given a free package for tourists by the guy/girl that stamps your passport.
This package contains a physical sim card (valid for 30 days) and also instructions of how to activate it as an E-sim.
It will not mess up your phone or settings and is substantially cheaper than trying to use your UK phone.

There will also be kiosks just before you exit the airport to the taxi ranks where they will sell you a local sim/esim and also set it up for you. This sim will not be restricted to 30 days.

Your other option is to go to one of the many malls and buy a cheap handset and local sim, but be warned you will need to take your passport with you.
Always easier to do it at the airport.

Where will you be staying in Dubai?
Do you have anything planned for while you are there?

Let me know if you want any suggestions or a rental car.
Unfortunately the private jet is in for a service , so we’ll be flying commercial into DXB. The eSIM option sounds like a good one - particularly if we’re given one at the airport.

We’re staying at Palace Downtown next to the fountains. My gf is in charge of the itinerary - she lived there out there for a while. The plans I know about are heading up the Burj Khalifa, take a look at Dubai Creek with the dhows, seeing where she lived, heading up towards the mountains, plus meeting up with some friends of hers. I’d be interested in recommendations though.

She has arranged a hire car - a Mazda CX-9 - I had no idea it existed, but it’s bigger than a Range Rover apparently! I’m likely to come back at some point with my son who is into cars, so then I could definitely use a suggestion of a place to get a more interesting hire car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 03:51 PM   #5
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:

She has arranged a hire car - a Mazda CX-9 - I had no idea it existed, but it’s bigger than a Range Rover apparently! I’m likely to come back at some point with my son who is into cars, so then I could definitely use a suggestion of a place to get a more interesting hire car.
I think you'll like the CX-9. I know a couple of people here that have them and they are very pleased. It looks very nicely appointed inside.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50