F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Will BMW's WILD Designs BACKFIRE?
proTUNING Freaks

12-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #23
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree that ugly is in the eye of the beholder (at least most of the time; I think the Pontiac Aztek managed to make the category of ugly no matter who the beholder).

It is very hard to determine the effect of a design element on manufacturer sales. You are comparing actual sales with imaginary sales (what would have happened if the grill were different). About the only way would be if BMW went the New Coke/Classic Coke way and then we could see how many ordered which front ends.
Steve, I would agree with you to a large degree, but I would also suggest that the saying "there's no such thing as bad press" might also apply.

Whether you (in general, not specifically you) like or hate the new design, you're talking about it. And by talking about it, BMW is living rent-free in the minds of YouTubers, journalists and consumers everywhere. And for them it's not a bad thing because if you don't like the large grills, it makes their other cars look that much better. But if you do like the large grills, you sign up, as I did.

For me, different is not bad, but the Aztek was indeed UGLY (to me) so I did not vote for it with my $. I'm guessing Pontiac ultimately heard my vote (in concert with many, many others).

It will be interesting to see what happens... I'd love see them keep it like it is, large grills on some and 'normal' grills on others. I like a distinction between models as my current 2019 440GC looks almost identical to every 3 series on the road from the front.

Last edited by SpeedyATL; 12-20-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #24
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Did you mean "vertical", or are you laying down?

thanks for correction, yes I meant vertical.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #25
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Doug says it better:
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #26
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
I am on wait list for an M3 allocation even though I hate the horizontal grille. I'll be sitting inside the car and as long as it looks good inside who cares about the rest? Audi and MB have nothing to offer other than soulless AWD designed by cookie cutters.
I don't think an AWD G80 is that far off from your description. (And uglier)
      12-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #27
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

The problem with these takes on the bold designs (grills) is they approach it as if BMW just all of a sudden started down this path and is jumping out on a limb. In reality they have been progressively moving in this direction. The grills have been growing in size and distinctiveness before the g8x and the XM.

The X7 and X5 were criticized and launched many of the big grill memes but have been runaway sales successes. While the most traditional design in the portfolio (8 series) has been a flop. Not saying that is 100% related to the design but if their target audience was as against or polarized as the traditionalist minded auto journalists (or forum enthusiasts) we would have seen it somewhat reflected in results and BMW to take some movement away from this design direction.

As many point out the movement toward electric is going to leave a lot less room for differentiation and luxury cars are going to become even more of a fashion statement than they already are.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #28
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The X7 and X5 were criticized and launched many of the big grill memes but have been runaway sales successes. While the most traditional design in the portfolio (8 series) has been a flop.
I would say the X7 was criticized much more than the X5 but in either case they both appeal to a much broader audience and are much more versatile vehicles which helps drive their sales numbers over a luxury two door coupe. I don't think the grill design has much if anything to do with the success or flop of any of them in this case. Tbh I don't even really know who the target demographic of the 8 series is supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #29
Randy22
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i coupe

I think that they will release a classic grill and try a new design. BMW already do it. Most likely many people even like the design of hybrid models. I don't like. I like grill, but small changes to this I like too. I also like, for example, some models from the 20th century and I would like these to be released again now with modern engines and electronics, leave only the interior and exterior. People have different preferences, but I think that these models should not be very different, it should be clear that this is all bmw, some kind of general style.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #30
SweBMW2021
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 V8

I think it’s amazing!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #31
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post

The question is, do you think BMW’s new design decisions make someone more or less likely to buy their cars over a competitors? I think less, time will tell I suppose.
More likely to lease. Leasing is where it is at these days. And big logos and grills so you have cred from the next block over. Especially in China.

Ownership is becoming such a quaint idea as cars become disposable appliances and grabbing attention amd riding your own coattails becomes the norm.

That’s my take.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0