F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone had to break in a new manager :)
proTUNING Freaks

01-02-2024, 10:53 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Anyone had to break in a new manager :)

May have seen my previous threads on my manager, and at one time it was a pretty toxic work place (with everyone) over the last few months, things did kinda settle down quite a bit.

My old manager had a sideways promotion and we now have a new manager.

The new manager seems ok, totally different approach, seems more earthy, obviously everyone has there own style, they comes from the same industry and background, the manager was hired from outside for a new perspective.

So why am I so apprehensive ?

My old manager, knew all my idiosyncrasies, knew what I was capable and wasn't, knew what I was happy doing, knew all the things I helped around with, between good and bad points, towards the end it was very much a 50/50 balance.

I'm not getting any bad vibes, the new manager is asking questions and I can see they want to do it there way.

So why is my gut feeling "ugh" better the devil you know ?
If you asked me a year ago when I was still learning I'd a said kick em out.
But now, I kinda anticipated the old managers needs, they got to know when I was on top handling things.

As I was driving home procrastinating I had a thought am I suffering from some form of Stockholm syndrome ? LOL

Cheers all
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

-Bruce Lee
Appreciate 7
M2siast5876.00
eugenebmw1480.50
nazali1311.50
      01-03-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Several managers ago were all very trusting of my skills, in part because they had no idea what an IT manager does. Nobody was complaining, the network worked, we were all happy. One review actually had that written on it.

Recently a series of micro-managers, currently one who has zero IT knowledge but still wants to understand to the micro level, and I spend hours trying to explain. Also spend hours fighting that I'm technical, I don't have the experience to form public policy on broadband strategies for county-wide implementation.

In all honesty, the micro-managing is keeping me better on track with all the myriad things that are constantly popping up.
nazali1311.50
      01-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #4
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Yes.

Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      01-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I free flow. I empower each of my engineers to run their own business. Take accountability and pride in what you do, and success will ultimately follow. Don't be afraid to make a mistake, but don't be stupid. I have a bajillion metrics, KARs, KPIs, etc that I watch like a hawk, but it's only there to course correct. I've got indirect and direct, ain't nobody got time to do their job, too.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      01-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #6
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

My contract got terminated, yesterday, 1.5 weeks notice, no reason, no performance issues,
Rolling 6 month contract they only just extended in October !
Agency also asked no reason given to them, wouldnt back down, budge, extend or offer FT
(possibility they want F/T people and not contractors) no option to go F/T decision was likely made above existing managers and months ago
Was actually told to keep it confidential till it is announced, not sure how there going to word it
I would have just walked, but I could do with the money
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #7
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Time to look at your shortcomings and what you can do to improve yourself.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 12:02 PM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Listen, evaluate, plan, act.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-04-2024, 12:38 PM   #9
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

What kind of work do you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      01-04-2024, 03:59 PM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I'm in IT, service desk (since 2010) 20-years prior in Telecommunications,

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
What kind of work do you do
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 04:00 PM   #11
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Listen, evaluate, plan, act.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 04:03 PM   #12
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I often post un-intelligible threads, due to overusage of alcohol and drugs.

It wasn't a problem before, but I had the Vet prescribe something for Dobbin my horse and that def puts me outta wack

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Time to look at your shortcomings and what you can do to improve yourself.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-04-2024, 04:07 PM   #13
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I had a chat with my agency and they said, brush it off and move on, it happens, said my feedbacks from clients have always been good, I interview well, so shouldnt be a problem and suggested a higher role with more pay

I'm going to take a few weeks out to rebuild myself I really feel frazzled.
NOT even going to attempt to job hunt.
The previous boss was horrible and needed to be assassinated, very toxic workplace
I think she took me with her on the way down, thing she's going to be gone soon

I'm not burning any bridges, doing my work properly, showing the new boss my good side,
you never know what can happen.

I told the agency to contact me if anything does come in but otherwise give me a few weeks.

I'm thinking of doing short term stunts, you know bust my genitalia for 3 months and then take a break for a couple etc. my BIL in the UK does that, does IT and only does short stints and gets a lot of time off in between.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 06:39 PM   #14
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I managed to get multiple references from high end management (aka Directors) 2 who were extremely shocked, I'm sure stuff will turn up, have money saved, need to talk to my account next few days. My consulting agency will give me a reference and I have 2 directors, so, I don't have to worry
Officially my contract was ended sooner rather than later as is the clients prerogative

My ex-manager who "fired" me, we crossed paths rather awkwardly, in the corridor,
"oh I was meaning to check up on you, how are you, hows everything, do you have any plans" all kinda BS

I kept it civil with the right amount of frosty, just said I was fine, no issues and "i really got to get going"

We often cross paths in corridors, very narcissistic personality.

I remembered a line from The count of Monte Cristo, where Mercedes says to Dantes,
"Avenging angels can not ask for forgiveness from there victims"

It struck me as apt, my manager could have multiple times handled it a lot better, even though they had got the news I suspect they may have "volunteered me up"... but Karma has a way of beating you up eventually and the Good Lord always see what mischief others do to you !

On the positive tip, the new manager is a total wack job and will make enemies very soon

laters
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-09-2024, 06:43 PM   #15
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I managed to get multiple references from high end management (aka Directors) 2 who were extremely shocked, I'm sure stuff will turn up, have money saved, need to talk to my account next few days. My consulting agency will give me a reference and I have 2 directors, so, I don't have to worry
Officially my contract was ended sooner rather than later as is the clients prerogative

My ex-manager who "fired" me, we crossed paths rather awkwardly, in the corridor,
"oh I was meaning to check up on you, how are you, hows everything, do you have any plans" all kinda BS

I kept it civil with the right amount of frosty, just said I was fine, no issues and "i really got to get going"

We often cross paths in corridors, very narcissistic personality.

I remembered a line from The count of Monte Cristo, where Mercedes says to Dantes,
"Avenging angels can not ask for forgiveness from there victims"

It struck me as apt, my manager could have multiple times handled it a lot better, even though they had got the news I suspect they may have "volunteered me up"... but Karma has a way of beating you up eventually and the Good Lord always see what mischief others do to you !

On the positive tip, the new manager is a total wack job and will make enemies very soon

laters
Sounds to me like the biggest lost opportunity for self-improvement. But what do I know
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:51 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

It wasn't a problem before, but I had the Vet prescribe something for Dobbin my horse and that def puts me outta wack
Interesting thread you’ve posted here
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-09-2024, 09:52 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Had one once. We bid RDO's based on seniority so the senior guys were on F/S, S/S & S/M. She was assigned S/M so was working with senior controllers (I had S/S). I told her that we would never put her in a compromising situation, so just answer the phone when the tower called to complain about how tight we were running the arrivals and don't bother us with their whining. She walked over to me one day to relay a complaint from the tower (like I cared!). She got a couple of words into her sentence, I gave her a bit of the LA Glare and said "Karen..." She turned around and went right back to the desk like a good little supervisor.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      01-09-2024, 10:19 PM   #18
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Interesting thread you’ve posted here
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:20 PM   #19
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

nice anecdote LA Glare,.... need to google that one one, LOL
thanks again

*back from google* nope nothing on the LA Glare, has to be a local thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Had one once. We bid RDO's based on seniority so the senior guys were on F/S, S/S & S/M. She was assigned S/M so was working with senior controllers (I had S/S). I told her that we would never put her in a compromising situation, so just answer the phone when the tower called to complain about how tight we were running the arrivals and don't bother us with their whining. She walked over to me one day to relay a complaint from the tower (like I cared!). She got a couple of words into her sentence, I gave her a bit of the LA Glare and said "Karen..." She turned around and went right back to the desk like a good little supervisor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:39 PM   #20
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I'll take my feedback at director level
There is no staff retention and this work place was toxic.

The previous lead, lasted a "week" I lasted nearly 3 years,

"in the department NAZALI was the go to person not only for myself but also for our business partners... a very successful and sought after person. It is a pleasure dealing with."
edited

I'm not above a bit of feedback, which actually I'm going into a meeting later on this week, with my department director, who's the Global IT Director, he's a straight shooter, so I'll be interested in his take

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Sounds to me like the biggest lost opportunity for self-improvement. But what do I know

Last edited by nazali; 01-09-2024 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:12 AM   #21
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Had one once. We bid RDO's based on seniority so the senior guys were on F/S, S/S & S/M. She was assigned S/M so was working with senior controllers (I had S/S).
Uh huh. I didn't understand any of this.

Quote:

Yeah, I suspect that this issue might be something that you'd want to work on.

Best of luck.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:51 PM   #22
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
nice anecdote LA Glare,.... need to google that one one, LOL
thanks again

*back from google* nope nothing on the LA Glare, has to be a local thing
LA as in Los Angeles, so, yeah, pretty local... It's the glare that one controller gives another when they're screwing-up their plan. I had to use it a few times. One guy kept slowing down the airplanes he was feeding me. I gave him the glare an asked what speed he was slowing them down to and why. He said 210 and he thought I needed it. I said keep them at 250 because I couldn't think at 210 and if I wanted him to slow someone down I would tell him!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00