F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Have you dialed back on eating fast food like McD's and such?
GetBMWParts

02-14-2024, 11:59 AM   #23
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Here’s your answer. $15+/hr. Those incompetent McDonald’s employees who can’t find their own butt with both hands want us to show them the money. They no longer consider working the counter at McDonald’s a part-time, high school, stepping stone job. These days it’s the career they aspire to and they gotta have a “living” wage.

I hate that this is true, but McDonald’s makes good coffee and I like Egg McMuffins, so I still eat there occasionally. It’s hard not to, because there is one literally on the lot next to my condo building. I can get a large coffee for 99 cents, so the total is just under $6. But, I utterly despise McDonald’s as a company.

I love Chick Fil A and I eat there occasionally. I’m not a growing teenager, so I get just the basic chicken sandwich and a small sweet tea and refill the tea. But, it’s still pushing $9 these days.

I like Chipotle, but last time I was there about a month ago I noticed they’ve had a significant price increase.

Right now, for me, Panera Bread is my go to. There’s one on the way to my dad’s place, so I eat there a lot. BUT, here’s the key. Get their “Value Duet” meals. I believe there are seven choices. Depending on location they are $7 - $9. It’s a large half sandwich, chips, and a “cup” of soup, which is actually a bowl of soup. It is plenty of food and I think it’s probably enough for a teenager. There are also two salad and soup options. A Greek salad (the one to get) and a Caesar salad. You need to like tomato soup or chicken with wild rice. They come with a baguette by default, but you can [...]
a livable wage is heavily defined by the cost of everything around u... when housing costs skyrocketed as well all input costs... wages needed to adjust

bringing down labor costs now is just making everyone poorer... mickey d's used to at least be a way of getting by when you could rent a room for $500... it no longer is
      02-14-2024, 12:00 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The only time I go to FF places is when the wife travels (which is a lot) or on road trip pit stops, it's only cause of the kids. Yeah it's outrageous, for me and the 2 kids its $30-50, $60 for 5G. Sometimes we go to Red Robin, Chilis, Applebees and it's the same or cheaper! Culvers is almost a given every time she is away and its better and cheaper than McDs TB etc. Jersey Mikes has become outrageous $18 for a the big steak & cheese.

My kids need special orders and yeah those idiots making $15-20 cant get it right WTF. Our new TB enforces using kiosks to order which is better cause usually its right then with me doing the modifications.

Unfortunately I'm too lazy when shes away and it's our thing to do, if it gets anymore exp will cut back. But when shes away next week we will get to 20 scoopie tokens and each kid gets to pick a gift!
Damn ya'll reminding me of places I use to eat at! I LOVE Jersey Mikes Italian sandwich. It was always expensive at like $6 or $7 for a large sandwich. Last time I was there it was almost $20 for a large sandwich. Haven't been back since.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      02-14-2024, 12:05 PM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
My son likes Five Guys and I hadn't been to one in a few years so I took him there for lunch a few weeks ago. He got a small cheese burger, I got a hotdog, each got a drink, and we shared a small order of fries. The bill was $36 which is a rip off. I hope they go out of business.
Out here it'll be even worse come April. The PRK has decided that FF workers (without a citizen vote) get a $20 hour minimum wage! That's going to raise the cost of EVERYTHING! Unskilled labor getting $20hr? I foresee many, many more kiosks and machines replacing these unskilled (future unemployed) employees.

I like FF and will continue to frequent, until the it's completely outrageous. We're often out at dinner time running errands and don't have time for a sit-down restaurant. I also don't have to tip at FF, though with the fees they keep adding, I am tipping less. I like Jersey Mike's (the giant sandwich will last me 3 meals, even though I get the medium for 2 meals), In-N-Out, Popeye's, Carl's Jr (on occasion), Chick-fil-A, The Habit is OK, as is BK; I've never been a fan of McD's and the only thing I like at there is the sausage & egg McMuffin, my wife likes the sausage McGriddle, though she prefers bacon over sausage.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      02-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #26
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
a livable wage is heavily defined by the cost of everything around u... when housing costs skyrocketed as well all input costs... wages needed to adjust

bringing down labor costs now is just making everyone poorer... mickey d's used to at least be a way of getting by when you could rent a room for $500... it no longer is
Fast food was NEVER meant to be a career, unless one moves up the food chain, no pun intended. Putting together a burger of dumping fries into a fryer should NEVER be a career. They had some older lady (50's) on the news here that was complaining, in Spanish, that she's been working at BK for minimum wage for 20+ years and she just can't make it. Unskilled labor should be cheap labor. Go to a trade school, learn a useful trade and have a career.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615277.00
nerdogray1301.50
      02-14-2024, 12:22 PM   #27
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Fast food was NEVER meant to be a career, unless one moves up the food chain, no pun intended. Putting together a burger of dumping fries into a fryer should NEVER be a career. They had some older lady (50's) on the news here that was complaining, in Spanish, that she's been working at BK for minimum wage for 20+ years and she just can't make it. Unskilled labor should be cheap labor. Go to a trade school, learn a useful trade and have a career.
Correct... however it woukd be wild to assume the cost of labor wouldn't go up there as general inflation has skyrocketed. That just makes 0 economic sense.
      02-14-2024, 12:37 PM   #28
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I hate tipping at FF, it pops on the payment screen and GRRRR, but I usually do 10% or so cause I don't want extra spit or worse on my food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I also don't have to tip at FF, though with the fees they keep adding, I am tipping less.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 12:59 PM   #29
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I wish I could eat fast food everyday, sadly I have to hit the gym and keep in shape.

That being said fast food pricing is WILD. taco bell is almost 6 bucks for a mexican pizza. all fast food meals 10-13 bucks which is insanity. at any rate better deals on the app.

a chick fil a spicy deluxe large waffle fries, cheese sauce, and 32 oz coke no ice is soooo good
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:28 PM   #30
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
Ugh I refuse to have an app for everything, only have Krispy Kreme and Pizza Hut. Dont need 20 crappy apps that constantly need to be updated, have to monitor their permissions + tracking, that F'up my phone, and have to worry about privacy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I wish I could eat fast food everyday, sadly I have to hit the gym and keep in shape.

That being said fast food pricing is WILD. taco bell is almost 6 bucks for a mexican pizza. all fast food meals 10-13 bucks which is insanity. at any rate better deals on the app.

a chick fil a spicy deluxe large waffle fries, cheese sauce, and 32 oz coke no ice is soooo good
Appreciate 4
DocL1930.00
RickFLM410979.50
      02-14-2024, 01:33 PM   #31
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ugh I refuse to have an app for everything, only have Krispy Kreme and Pizza Hut. Dont need 20 crappy apps that constantly need to be updated, have to monitor their permissions + tracking, that F'up my phone, and have to worry about privacy...
agreed, I only got mcdonalds and taco bell. But gone are my days of ordering there frequently...but the savings there can be over 5 bucks if you download the app and then delete
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:33 PM   #32
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Whenever my kids want french fries for dinner, my wife gets them at McD's through the app. What I don't understand is she'll order one large fries for $2.00, and she gets a huge take out bag full of fries. It's like they dump an entire fryer thingy full of fries into the bag lol. I have no idea how this happens and neither does she.
      02-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whenever my kids want french fries for dinner, my wife gets them at McD's through the app. What I don't understand is she'll order one large fries for $2.00, and she gets a huge take out bag full of fries. It's like they dump an entire fryer thingy full of fries into the bag lol. I have no idea how this happens and neither does she.
Well that's a thing they do at Five Guys. They give you a basket of fries and dump another in the bag. I guess the idea is people like to pick on the fries while driving home. Maybe this McDonalds is copying that idea.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      02-14-2024, 01:48 PM   #34
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well that's a thing they do at Five Guys. They give you a basket of fries and dump another in the bag. I guess the idea is people like to pick on the fries while driving home. Maybe this McDonalds is copying that idea.
It doesn't happen when I get fries for th ekids. And it's not like FG fries being put into the bag. The bag is the size of a small carry-on full of fries lol.
      02-14-2024, 01:49 PM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I fucking wish
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:53 PM   #36
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
+1 for some of these apps. They have some wild deals on there sometimes which makes everything significantly cheaper. Everything has gotten expensive - so I adjust my expectations as such. Fast food is only expensive relative to what it used to be - but relative to other sit down meals it's still pretty cheap. I can feed my entire family of 4 from McD or most other fast food places for under $30.

I didn't get fast food that often to begin with - so my frequency hasn't changed. It's still a treat whenever I do.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:57 PM   #37
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something doesn't add up there. I used to consult for McD and they have very strict metrics relating to the amount of food waste (anything greater than the defined portion size is categorized as waste even if it's going to a customer). There's a specific metric called conversion efficiency which measures the quantity of potatoes entering the restaurant vs. the number of fries sold - a number greater than 1 means there's higher waste, and a number lower than 1 means they're holding on to more product. Ideally the number will be 1. If they're filling shopping bags worth of fries for 1 order of large fries, then there's something weird going on there. Alternatively McD has a menu item for a "basket" of fries - they could potentially just be serving the basket of fries order but in the large fry carton

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      02-14-2024, 02:07 PM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Something doesn't add up there. I used to consult for McD and they have very strict metrics relating to the amount of food waste (anything greater than the defined portion size is categorized as waste even if it's going to a customer). There's a specific metric called conversion efficiency which measures the quantity of potatoes entering the restaurant vs. the number of fries sold - a number greater than 1 means there's higher waste, and a number lower than 1 means they're holding on to more product. Ideally the number will be 1. If they're filling shopping bags worth of fries for 1 order of large fries, then there's something weird going on there. Alternatively McD has a menu item for a "basket" of fries - they could potentially just be serving the basket of fries order but in the large fry carton
Ahhh the bucket of fries... I use to get that with friends back when I was in college. Maybe it's that... otherwise dunno, would need pic of said wife.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      02-14-2024, 02:10 PM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
My son likes Five Guys and I hadn't been to one in a few years so I took him there for lunch a few weeks ago. He got a small cheese burger, I got a hotdog, each got a drink, and we shared a small order of fries. The bill was $36 which is a rip off. I hope they go out of business.
I just happened across a YouTube video a couple of days ago talking about restaurants on the way out and Five Guys was one of them. So was Red Robin. If I recall correctly Red Robin did a bankruptcy reorganization a few years ago.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-14-2024, 02:43 PM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

You Yankees are so lucky because there are so many choices over there. Just some random thoughts:

I never got the big deal about Five Guys, it was alright, the burger was a bit greasy and the fries thing, I think they just make a HUGE/generous portions for customers and that's why it goes into the dish and then another container, that was nice. However, overall it wasn't enough to make me go back and that place has since closed.

Similarly, I never got In-and-Out, just standard stuff for me. Chipotle is alright too, but overpriced because my criterion is if I can easily make something similar at home, I feel ripped off.

I occasionally have cravings for KFC (they call it 'PFK' here, cuz, French language nazis lol) even though some ppl have hate for the Colonel for whatever reason. I still think it's the best-tasting fried chicken. Mary Brown was bleech. Popeye's you just depend on that cajun sauce and the skin is just hard crispy and not flavorful like them 11 herbs and spices baby haha.

Is New York Fries dead now? I figure it was good when it first came out but I assume everyone knows how to make those fries now.

If I was in the States, I would pig out on Carl's Jr. and Jack in the Box.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:01 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

^ I disagree. Around here Carls Jr. and Jack in the Box suck, at least the last time I was there. And KFC is a greasy mess. To each their own, I guess.
      02-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #42
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
You Yankees are so lucky because there are so many choices over there. Just some random thoughts:

I never got the big deal about Five Guys, it was alright, the burger was a bit greasy and the fries thing, I think they just make a HUGE/generous portions for customers and that's why it goes into the dish and then another container, that was nice. However, overall it wasn't enough to make me go back and that place has since closed.

Similarly, I never got In-and-Out, just standard stuff for me. Chipotle is alright too, but overpriced because my criterion is if I can easily make something similar at home, I feel ripped off.

I occasionally have cravings for KFC (they call it 'PFK' here, cuz, French language nazis lol) even though some ppl have hate for the Colonel for whatever reason. I still think it's the best-tasting fried chicken. Mary Brown was bleech. Popeye's you just depend on that cajun sauce and the skin is just hard crispy and not flavorful like them 11 herbs and spices baby haha.

Is New York Fries dead now? I figure it was good when it first came out but I assume everyone knows how to make those fries now.

I dunno about the other stuff but I'm with you about in-n-out. It's not bad... but WAY overhyped. I don't understand the hype behind it. And the fries there are straight trash.

Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #43
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I dunno about the other stuff but I'm with you about in-n-out. It's not bad... but WAY overhyped. I don't understand the hype behind it. And the fries there are straight trash.
Damn, I love me a triple-triple with grilled and raw onions, together with some animal fries. My favorite and the only fast food I’ll get these days.
      02-14-2024, 03:11 PM   #44
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
Early FG experience was maybe 12yrs ago, was only about 50% more than other burger chains but natural fries and better options for toppings, then they finally came to RI and it was a $12 meal place was mobbed, now these days it so exp and usually dead though will see a takeout pickup or two while there. I can't see how their expansion can handle it and should see locations close soon or shrinkflation.

Yeah get the KFC or Popeyes craving every so often, but geez how exp it's gotten, a family bucket is like $50. Totally dumbfounded by the Raising Cains popularity, prices are so high and it's meh, don't like ketchup/mayo sauce, but by itself the chicken is so bland and not chikfila quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post

Appreciate 0