F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!
Studio RSR

02-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #1013
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Please BMW stop making Mini's they are dangerous because they are small...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #1014
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Please BMW stop making Mini's they are dangerous because they are small...
My M Coupe wasn't much bigger than a MINI, of course they are lighter, but they're still at least 2550lb/1150kg. There's a large gap between an 1900lb/850kg Elise and even something like a 2750lb/1250kg BRZ. Isn't the Alfa rumored to be around 900kg?

I don't like the odds of a 900kg car and the common 2500kg SUV around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1015
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

A Formula 1 car is even lighter than the 4c and yet it has more rigidity to it than any street car that you can think of thanks to the extensive use of carbon fiber, the very same material used in the 4c:

Quote:
The chassis supports a body constructed completely from carbon fibre, inside which there is space for the driver and passenger
This is a non issue with the 4c... but I start to realize why some drive a X1, though...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #1016
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is a non issue with the 4c... but I start to realize why some drive a X1, though...
Dammit, I really need to fix that, it's the wife's car. I really need to buy a real car for myself. I have a two mile commute and either ride my bike or drive Shitbox, my old Mazda3. I've been meaning to buy a weekend car, but something new keeps popping up. I initially planned on replacing the M Coupe with a Boxster Spyder, but the 981 showed up, the BRZ and threat of an STI came along, the 4C is coming and I just can't make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #1017
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Dammit, I really need to fix that, it's the wife's car. I really need to buy a real car for myself. I have a two mile commute and either ride my bike or drive Shitbox, my old Mazda3. I've been meaning to buy a weekend car, but something new keeps popping up. I initially planned on replacing the M Coupe with a Boxster Spyder, but the 981 showed up, the BRZ and threat of an STI came along, the 4C is coming and I just can't make a decision.

I know that. Not only with cars, but also with Apple products and many other things.

Same about me, planned about getting the Toyota 86 and turning it into a track car, but it is not in my budget to "ruin" a new car. The BRZ STI would have been just perfect for, affordable but "track ready". Then of course I have always like the Cyaman (not the design), and the new one is better and is now even one of the best looking Porsches yet. But now there is the 4C. It would have been perfect to accompany my current Alfa, but the lack of manual is almost a deal breaker for me. More even, there is a 4C Stradale coming, a more hard-core version of it that is lighter and has more power. Further there are pleasant rumors of the next generation Mustang, never been a fan of it, but it focused on Europe too, it could really be a good car. Then not the forget the BMW M2, too early to make any conclusions, but it is promissing. And there are other contenders from Japan that we could see, like a new RX-7 or a new Silvia.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1018
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
but the lack of manual is almost a deal breaker for me.
This is exactly what has me from being totally committed to the 4C, if it were available with a manual, I'd already have a deposit down. A new RX7 would be great, my dad still has an FD that's a blast on the track. I suppose there's also the next Miata and Alfa version, which could very likely get the same motor as the 4C and should almost certainly have the proper count of pedals.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #1019
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the inevitable and the great Kamui Kobayashi
Gah, you're still going with this?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #1020
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I fight for what I believe in... also, I don‘t want that Kamui Kobayashi gets in the way of your discussion, so for the last time...

Mad drift line, angle, speed and show factor... guess from who?!... the inevitable and the great Kamui Kobayashi

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #1021
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's impressive, but if you screw up enough, you'll eventually get the recovery right a few times. I like your support for Rosberg, but I haven't seen enough from Kobayashi yet to think he's anywhere near the five folks you have behind him (well, I'll give you Webber).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #1022
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Spoiler...He picks the Miata.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #1023
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Spoiler...He picks the Miata.
That is subjective opinion. Fact is BMW has no such car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #1024
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Well... you just know a comparison is biased when someone says to you that the Toyobaru vert, which he never have driven because no reviewer has, is no competition to the Miata based on the argument that it lacks the ridigity of its coupé brother, which is precisely the argument used to explain what differentiates the Miata as a driver's toy from the Toyobaru as a driver's tool and that qualifies the former as a ‘multi-string tone car' as opposed to the 'single-string tone car'...

When I hear this kind of argument I can't help myself thinking about the same trend of argumentation used by reviewers to describe the differences found between the 1M and the Cayman R.

The fact is, the Cayman R is a better driver's car than the 1M is as the Toyobaru Coupé is a better driver's car than the Miata is. Period. (I owned two NB Miatas in a row as I crashed the first one ).

Anyway, if you still are in doubt after test-driving several cars just do the next logic thing... stick with the lower price tag.

You see, in the Cayman R vs 1M comparo you could always say... the 1M has the lower price tag and better practicality to boot... BUT that you can NOT say about the Miata.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-28-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1025
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

^ Good points.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #1026
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

The unknown thing here is the next Miata and the Alfa twin. If they hit their weight and power targets, it certainly stands to best stock BRZ performance at a potentially lower price point. The added benefit to the Miata is the monster track support for them here in the US, something that the BRZ has been woefully short of, probably due to the way Subaru bungled things with the STI here. They launched it with an SCCA membership and immediately started voiding warranties on tracked cars. Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #1027
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's impressive, but if you screw up enough, you'll eventually get the recovery right a few times. I like your support for Rosberg, but I haven't seen enough from Kobayashi yet to think he's anywhere near the five folks you have behind him (well, I'll give you Webber).
Strange world we live in...

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #1028
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

A lot of nice things to say, but no one seems willing to pay him.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #1029
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A lot of nice things to say but no one seems willing to pay him.
No. It's the other way around... it's Kamui Kobayashi that doesn't have the necessary money to pay them as he is not associated to any F1's big name or engine supplier such as Ferrari, Mercedes or Renault nor he has the official support of his country as the mexicans drivers do... teams, they all are looking for 'pay drivers'.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-28-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #1030
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
The unknown thing here is the next Miata and the Alfa twin. If they hit their weight and power targets, it certainly stands to best stock BRZ performance at a potentially lower price point. The added benefit to the Miata is the monster track support for them here in the US, something that the BRZ has been woefully short of, probably due to the way Subaru bungled things with the STI here. They launched it with an SCCA membership and immediately started voiding warranties on tracked cars. Brilliant.
^Good points.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #1031
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's what happens when you are always waiting for the next big thing... you'll end up missing the real ones...

The Dalai Lama once said:

Quote:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die and then dies having never really lived.”
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #1032
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

i really don't like that bar they have across the front grill section. Looks like a mouth with swollen gums
      02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1033
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
i really don't like that bar they have across the front grill section. Looks like a mouth with swollen gums
What are you talking about?! Oh yeah, I had to check the thread title. The Scion/Toyota fixes that but the fig lights and brake cooling ducts look weird. The perfect solution would be a Scion middle bumper with the Subie sides.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1034
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
A lot of people pick the FRS for this exact reason.
Appreciate 0