F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > PWO Shake with creatine and Glycerol?
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

PWO Shake with creatine and Glycerol?

Guys,

Do any of you add creatine and glycerol to your PWO shake? Mens health seems to say that glycerol and creating combined makes creatine far more productive.

Just wondering if anyone tried it as I was thinking of doing it myself.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I have but every thing is always based on person to person. One thing may work for them, that same thing may not work for you. Worst case give it a shot and nothing happens. For me it didn't do anything and i didn't notice any difference gains, strength nothin.

Just my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

yes I have before, not real big into training these days just because im not actively competing, but my coach and personal trainers both highly recommended adding it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
yes I have before, not real big into training these days just because im not actively competing, but my coach and personal trainers both highly recommended adding it.
Do you just add normal glycerol syrup into your water/protein/creatine shake?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I didn't notice any difference when I was using creatine. I maybe retained more water but that was about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i dont... most of the creatine you drink just goes straight to piss.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

I just started using creatin and ive noticed some solid gains. It fills ur muscles up with water but as you work out the water gets replaced with nurtients easier. But the way you react to Creatin will depend alot on ur diet. If u eat little to no red meat then youll notice a HUGE gain, the more red meat you eat the less of a gain youll see. And also try and stay away from the pills and liquid. Its not as stable as a powder form.. ALSO if u mix it with a fruit juice of some kind itll absorbe into your muscle much better..
      07-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
I just started using creatin and ive noticed some solid gains. It fills ur muscles up with water but as you work out the water gets replaced with nurtients easier. But the way you react to Creatin will depend alot on ur diet. If u eat little to no red meat then youll notice a HUGE gain, the more red meat you eat the less of a gain youll see. And also try and stay away from the pills and liquid. Its not as stable as a powder form.. ALSO if u mix it with a fruit juice of some kind itll absorbe into your muscle much better..
Care to share why it is "absorbed much better"?

Creatine is naturally found in red meats for those wondering.

And to answer OPs question, meal timing irrelevant, and in this case, a PWO shake. Your muscles wont fall off if you dont take one immediatly after you workout.

If you want proof let me know.
      07-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Care to share why it is "absorbed much better"?.
Honestly i dont know why.. its what ive been reading off various sites. They say its better to mix it with a fruit juice of some kind.. idk. Sorry wasnt trying to be a know it all or anything..
      07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
Quote:
Care to share why it is "absorbed much better"?.
Honestly i dont know why.. its what ive been reading off various sites. They say its better to mix it with a fruit juice of some kind.. idk. Sorry wasnt trying to be a know it all or anything..
You didnt seem like one, its just important to site sources when stating something deemed factual -- especially on a forum with many believing everything they read
      07-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Care to share why it is "absorbed much better"?

Creatine is naturally found in red meats for those wondering.

And to answer OPs question, meal timing irrelevant, and in this case, a PWO shake. Your muscles wont fall off if you dont take one immediatly after you workout.

If you want proof let me know.
i've read about the water absorption in a lot of places... but i've never really heard about it in my exercise physiology classes. i'm guessing its true, but i don't know the mechanism... i'm guessing if it causes your muscles to absorb more water, its just because there's more creatine in your muscles than in your bloodstream causing water from your blood to enter your muscles to make it more isotonic (more equal concentrations of creatine between blood and muscle). when your muscles are hydrated, you are more able to contract and release them... think opposite (no water = cramps)

i do know that creatine is generally used as an energy source after its been phosphorylated. i won't go into detail but i'm sure you've guys all have learned about ATP, our "energy currency," at one point in your lives... so basically sugars, fats, and protein can be used as sources to make ATP which is used for many things, such as the contraction of a muscle.

ATP has three phosphates and this is pretty much where the energy comes from. And creatine is very much like ATP. In that once phosphorylated, it becomes a energy source. but rather than fueling our muscles directly, it actually passes on its energy (a phosphate) to ADP, basically an ATP missing one phosphate, to make ATP.

So basically:

Creatine + P -> Creatine-P

ATP -> ADP + P (used for energy)

ADP + Creatine-P -> ATP + Creatine (ATP created to be used for more energy)

The thing is... most people who consume creatine take in more than they need (their body . Usually it gets pissed away... which may and may not be a bad thing long term. One thought is that overloading your kidneys with these substances over time is a bad thing and can lead to diseases... i don't know the statistics or whether this is actually a truth.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

^^ derp derp derp

Did you actually want to contribute facts or speculate an entire post?
      07-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
^^ derp derp derp

Did you actually want to contribute facts or speculate an entire post?
both i've never used creatine but everybody tells me i should....

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

So if I wana try that, do I just add a spoonful of glycerol syrup and creatine to my shake?
Appreciate 0