F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > casein protein?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

casein protein?

how many of you take it before you sleep? i take whey after my workouts in the morning, but before my workouts i sometimes i feel sore/weak. I usually eat greek yogurt and a banana or some kinda fruit for breakfast. I'm not really a morning eater so i force myself to eat that at least before i hit the gym. Trying to lean out a bit will casein effect that process? thanks for any input
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I take ON casein mixed with skim milk before bed. Since I started taking it, I'm not as hungry when I wake up and have yet to wake up in the middle of the night for a snack. That being said, I prefer real food and am now taking it after downing some cottage cheese. Neither has yielded gains in fat and I've been taking the combo almost every day for the past year and a half.
      08-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Meal timing is irrelevant.
      08-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Meal timing is irrelevant.
The timing/what type of protein shake is relevant.
      08-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

I take casein before i go to bad. When i wake up the next morning, i take whey.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
The timing/what type of protein shake is relevant.

Quote:
Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition

Hierarchy of Importance

When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or training performance, it's crucial to realize there's an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Distantly below that is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions, athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there's a constant overlap of meal digestion & nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

* The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
* The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
From Alan Aragon
      08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
From Alan Aragon
so in simpler terms it doesn't matter when i drink protein its more important to get the right about during the day? or the right macronutrient (which i don't really understand )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
Quote:
From Alan Aragon
so in simpler terms it doesn't matter when i drink protein its more important to get the right about during the day? or the right macronutrient (which i don't really understand )
Yes.

Macronutrients are Fats, CHO, and Protein.

Protein shakes are for supplementing gaps in your diet. Myths such as "metabolic fire" and "insulin spike" have been debunked. Your focus should be on hitting your baseline protein and fat macros and fill the rest how you please.

I promise your muscles wont fall off . Mine havent.
      08-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

Macronutrients are Fats, CHO, and Protein.

Protein shakes are for supplementing gaps in your diet. Myths such as "metabolic fire" and "insulin spike" have been debunked. Your focus should be on hitting your baseline protein and fat macros and fill the rest how you please.

I promise your muscles wont fall off . Mine havent.
ah makes sense now, but what are your thoughts on taking casein before bedtime? even if i get the right about of nutrients during the day isn't it true while sleeping your body is in a fasting state? From what i read you want to still feed your body it slowly with protein still. Right now I'm taking in 1500-1600 calories during the day which is where i want to be. Thanks for your help you seem pretty knowledgable on this stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

No, your body will not go catabolic while you sleep. Please see www.leangains.com.

What is your caloric maintenance and goals? Please post height and weight as well.
      08-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
No, your body will not go catabolic while you sleep. Please see www.leangains.com.

What is your caloric maintenance and goals? Please post height and weight as well.
I'm 5'10 170 i was 163 but put on some mass during 5 months of lifting. I'm trying to take it between 1500-1600 calories a day (protein whey, whole wheat carbs, and red meat/chicken). My goal right now is to lean out, i bulked up pretty easily i was taking 2500 calories a day while bulking. although I'm having a hard time leaning out especially in the abdominal area i can see my abs but there's still some bulk there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

You cant spot target fat loss.

Your calories are extremely too low for your height/size. Women cut on that amount.

You need to find what your maintenance is and reduce calories by 10-15%, that will result in the least amount of LBM lost during a cut.

Why are you cutting at 170lbs? Why not continue your bulk to 175-180 and then cut with more LBM on you.

No way you bulked on 2500 calories, your math is wrong while counting cals.
      08-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
You cant spot target fat loss.

Your calories are extremely too low for your height/size. Women cut on that amount.

You need to find what your maintenance is and reduce calories by 10-15%, that will result in the least amount of LBM lost during a cut.

Why are you cutting at 170lbs? Why not continue your bulk to 175-180 and then cut with more LBM on you.

No way you bulked on 2500 calories, your math is wrong while counting cals.
damn i guess im gonna have to increase my calorie intake? I wasn't clear in my previous post i was 174 at one point (2 months ago) at that point I decided to cut and right now I'm at 170. I guessing it was 2500 I'm probably wrong though i just ate a lot all the time lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

You'd be extremely surprised what your true intake is once you count properly (weigh foods, log and count using online tools).

To reach your goals you need to be precise - keep in mind you're not prepping for a contest so don't be too hard on yourself.
      08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
You'd be extremely surprised what your true intake is once you count properly (weigh foods, log and count using online tools).

To reach your goals you need to be precise - keep in mind you're not prepping for a contest so don't be too hard on yourself.
what kind of tools would you suggest in seeing what my intake is? thanks again for the all the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

I personally use FitDay.com to log all my foods. You can create custom foods based off of the nutrition labels.

I would go to Target or purchase an electronic food scale on Amazon. 20-30$.