F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > gym cycles.. what am I doing wrong?
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

if I swim on all my in-between days, is it counter productive? (i workout every other day [different muscle groups])
      11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Counter productive of what
      11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

My bad I thought this topic was about other cycles.

You need to keep track of your foods an hour before workouts. The right foods and amount makes a world of difference.
      11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #26
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
if I swim on all my in-between days, is it counter productive? (i workout every other day [different muscle groups])
Swimming is awesome. It's low impact but high intensity cardio. If done correctly, it can also allow you to warm up and stretch the body properly. You'll use some muscles you've never used before from just lifting, and in different ways too.

IMO, any type of physical activity isn't counter productive... Are you working out for fitness or are you doing something very specific? I think that is what Quick6FE was getting at.

If you are lifting to achieve some sort of very specific goal, then you should have a very specific plan (which I doubt since you don't even keep a written log of your lifts). Swimming is just a different type of workout.
      11-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #27
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Yeah, no specific goal, just being toned: I was just wondering if swimming on my off-workout days would be too tiring for my muscles?
      11-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
Some days, I just can't lift at all. Like today I dropped 30 pounds on the chest press?? Does anyone else get random off days? Other days I go up from my normal weights and still find it easy?

Most days are normal and I maintain the same weight, and I'm fine with that, just dropping weight for no apparent reason is irratating (last time I worked chest was 4 days ago, so it shouldn't be overworked?)

I go every other day, and alternate workouts, so I work the same muscle groups every 4 days (3 full rest days in between). I just started this routine though so maybe that's messing me up? (Old routine was going every 2 or 3 days and doing everything)

Any ideas?

there are many factors.....the biggest ones being sleep, food/diet, and dehydration.

If one of these is off it can effect your lift, if more than one is off it can really effect your lift. these are all equally important for me in the gym.......

eat multiple meals a day......if you lift hard your body will need lots of protein and nutrients to rebuild......if you are not giving your body those nutrients it will have difficulty recovering. I drink 2-3 protein shakes through out my day.....these count as 2 or 3 of my "5-6" meals.I also carry a bottle of water that i drink every day....i go through at least 3 nalgene bottles a day.

Going to the gym and working out is not the most important thing.... its taking care of your body between workouts that is just as important. Also very your lift weights/ repetitions/ exercises/ rest intervals/ and muscle group lineups every so often to keep your body guessing.

this is just off the top of my head....but these all make huge impacts on lifts, especially if your noticing differences day to day.

everyone will occasionally have an "off-day" but mine are usually few an far between especially when i take care of all the criteria above....

i usually notice some gains in strength or stamina from week to week....sometimes quicker and more frequent than others. If you do all the things iv mentioned above you should have no problems coming into the gym energized, and noticing gains. The biggest things that influence size, strength, and how cut you are is usually diet and dedication and proper form.

its a long response and i didn't talk much about proper form but usually proper form trumps doing more weight.....doing things correctly with less weight is typically more advantageous than more weight and incorrect form.

there you go.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #29
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Also doing cardio all the time that is extensive or demanding could take away from big strength gains in the weight room...this varies from person to person but it also greatly depends on the goals you are seeking from your workouts.....

protein shakes are the most practical way to get extra protein, if you are looking to stay lean then you need to find one with better calorie/protein ratios.

also you need to drink these spread out through out ur day. I like to take one in the morning and before i go to bed, and after a workout.

I typically only do cardio once a week. I do however try to keep my rest times between sets to a minimum no more than 2 mins usually, usually 1-1:30. I do this to keep my heart rate up thru out my lift, and to challenge my muscles.

theres a lot of things to take in especially if ur new to it. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #30
mastermayhm
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

^kid knows what he is talking about...but he is still a pipsqueek hah
      11-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #31
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

What kind of lifting are you doing? Volume, type of sets (heavy vs. light), total amount of work per workout, tempo, etc., are all variables that can impact a workout a several days later. If you start logging, you'll have access to this data and can identify patterns and adjust. Some folks just like to add a few more sets here and there and that can, for some, be counterproductive

One thing to consider, lifting in really heavy patterns (6x4 or 8x3) is taxing not only on you physically but neurologically as well. Hitting multiple triples and doubles on a regular basis can leave you a bit burned out and unable to recruit as many muscle fibers.

Another is whether the same plane of motion or recruitment pattern is being used repeatedly (e.g. flat bench every 4 days, whether it be DB or bar). This is also neurologically taxing and tends to generate injuries over time.

Powerlifters have approaches here that are worth looking into (oversimplified, heavy, then light) for managing the neurological side of lifting.

One way to manage the neurological component is to lift heavy (say 6x4, 8x3, or even 4x6), and the next workout go with sets of 12 to 15 for the same muscle groups. That lets the nervous system rest, adds in a nice dose of higher volume work, and sets up another "strength" day the next workout.

Another management technique is to alter the recruitment pattern. Flat bench one day, then decline or incline, change grip (parallel DB bench vs. regular grip, wide vs. narrow grip) etc. the next training day. Mixing up recruitment patterns also gives the nervous system a break, while at the same time preventing overuse/injury due to one recurring pattern of motion.

Last thing to consider is tempo. If you're focusing on the negative portion of the lift a lot, that really eats into recovery. I've dropped the idea of "going slow" on the negative, just control the weight, and work on explosiveness and speed on the positive portion of the lift. That really helps with recovery, and the nicest thing is that it's added 15-25% to my lifts in just a couple of months. That may not seem like much, but after 30 years of lifting that kind of progress is nice to see.

Bottom line, try a few approaches, keep a log, test the outcomes, and adjust to what works for you based on what the data tell you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #32
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Lol Merchomoni you are such a BRO.
      11-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I agree with most of what finnegan said. Variety is key. That being said I usually train in 8 to 12 week cycles with specific goals for squat, bench and dead. I train for powerlifting and just listen to my body. As I've gotten older I find I need more rest between body parts and average a little more than one chest or leg or any body part a week. During heavy cycles prior to competition I tend to try and get 1.5 grams of protein per lb of weight or about 300 grams per day. One plus with this is that I automatically eat cleaner as I'm trying to get so much protein I don't have any desire to eat crap because I don't have room. Another thing to think about for advanced lifting is a pre workout stimulant like jacked. I usually use it befor dead and squat day only. It really will increase your intensity and the weight you use. A lot of lifting is mental. If I step to the bar jacked up and know I own this weight you make progress and have fewer and fewer off days.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0