F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > About to start running
GetBMWParts

10-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #45
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Can't give up alcohol completely, has to be ready for meets with friends, especially with non-sport ones.

But I do not drink often; I might do drink there and there, with occasional heavy stuff, but nothing frequent.

How noticeable effect of alcohol if you run in the morning, and drank night before? Assuming my body takes it well, I feel fine and fresh, and there is no hangover.
      10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #46
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumer View Post
How noticeable effect of alcohol if you run in the morning, and drank night before?
The number one thing......you feel dehydrated in minutes. Now you could load up on Gatorade before your run, but then you feel heavy and start to cramp. I would suggest no running after a night of "running the table" ........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #47
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
The number one thing......you feel dehydrated in minutes. Now you could load up on Gatorade before your run, but then you feel heavy and start to cramp. I would suggest no running after a night of "running the table" ........Phil
Hi Phil! How's your knee? How are your runs?

I don't like Gatorade, but for before and after exercise I'll have some Vita Coco coconut juice. I've been resting for last couple days, seems like knee pain is almost gone. Will run tomorrow morning before snow storm.
      10-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #48
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Phil! How's your knee? How are your runs?

I don't like Gatorade, but for before and after exercise I'll have some Vita Coco coconut juice. I've been resting for last couple days, seems like knee pain is almost gone. Will run tomorrow morning before snow storm.
What's up Bumer.....the knee feels great but I know the tear is still there. Haven't been out since my last posted run, but I have plans to hit it this evening since our weather is super nice. I'll keep you posted on how I do......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #49
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Here's this mornings action.....also took a quick screen shot of my Nike+ page so you can see some of the info it gives you..............Phil

The bottom shows.....time, distance, avg pace, and calories burned
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #50
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
What a freaky snow storm. Got me cut off completely from outside world.
I've been waking up to 52 degrees in the morning.

Luckily we got power back, most of the state still does not have power.

Phil, I think that was a great run! Running for 55 minutes with tear in knee - not everyone can do that.

Thank you for providing Nike+ screen shot.
I have not bought Nike+ yet, as I've been using iPhone app called MapMyRun (or something like that). It works ok, but I noticed it is not accurate, the distance is off by about 10%.

How accurate is Nike+?
      11-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #51
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Bumer, once you calibrate the sensor it's almost spot on. I've driven a couple of my routes to test the distance and we are talking less than 10 yards or so.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #52
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Couldn't resist the gorgeous mid 30's weather this morning so I got another 4.5 miles in. It was great to put on my jacket and tights and hit the street. I don't know what I'm going to do right after surgery.....not running will be brutal......Phil
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #53
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Bumer, once you calibrate the sensor it's almost spot on. I've driven a couple of my routes to test the distance and we are talking less than 10 yards or so.........Phil
That's pretty impressive, great to know.

Quote:
Couldn't resist the gorgeous mid 30's weather this morning so I got another 4.5 miles in. It was great to put on my jacket and tights and hit the street. I don't know what I'm going to do right after surgery.....not running will be brutal......Phil
Good for you Phil! And now I know the feeling, I'm not pushing it anymore and doing walk-run 3 times a week. And everyday I cannot wait to go running again.

Will you be able to stand firm after your surgery? You could ski.
After your surgery will be perfect timing to start skiign, if you can.
      11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #54
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Installed Nike+ app for iPhone today, and it works without Nike sensor. I did my intervals for 2.23 miles, and iPhone sync'd it to Nike+ website.

Nike+ is with all statistics, and goals. Looking forward to using it all the time.
      11-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #55
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Last Thursday, went for an evening run, but pain in my knee came back.
Decided to run through the pain, and regretted it dearly, as I could not finish my run, and had to walk back home after doing little less than 2 miles.

Next day pain got worse, and next day more worse. Could barely walk.
But, I could bike. So, I did some mountain biking, some trail biking over Saturday and Sunday.

Now I'm taking a break from running, until my knee gets better.

I probably was funny when I was getting off the bike, I could barely walk. But on the bike, unless I was pushing too hard, my knee did not bother me.
      11-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #56
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last Thursday, went for an evening run, but pain in my knee came back.
Decided to run through the pain, and regretted it dearly, as I could not finish my run, and had to walk back home after doing little less than 2 miles.

Next day pain got worse, and next day more worse. Could barely walk.
Bumer, you have got to listen to your body. If you didn't have knee pain prior to running then you might want to try another pair of shoes. Remember, the running shoe company can only make a recommendation......you'll have to try several shoes before you find the right one..........Phil
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #57
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Bumer, you have got to listen to your body. If you didn't have knee pain prior to running then you might want to try another pair of shoes. Remember, the running shoe company can only make a recommendation......you'll have to try several shoes before you find the right one..........Phil
Hi Phil, have not seen you in a while. How are you, how's your knee?

I had a thought that may be the shoes I have are not the right ones.
Since I have flat arch and overpronator, shoe store recommended shoes with support for the arch. But what if my legs don't want any support?

So, I got three more different pairs of shoes, but have not had a chance to try them yet, "thanks" to my knee. All those shoes are regular without support:

When my knee heals, will try to run in them, and see if they give me any problems.

These shoes were on some ridiculous sale at factory store, so I decided to get more than just one pair.
      11-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #58
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Phil, have not seen you in a while. How are you, how's your knee?

I had a thought that may be the shoes I have are not the right ones.
Since I have flat arch and overpronator, shoe store recommended shoes with support for the arch. But what if my legs don't want any support?

So, I got three more different pairs of shoes, but have not had a chance to try them yet, "thanks" to my knee. All those shoes are regular without support
Bumer, the knee is feeling good right now. I'm planning to get at least a 10 mile run in the weekend prior to surgery.....I'll let you know how it goes. Looks like you've got a few pair of shoes to try.....find a good pair or two and rotate them on your runs..................Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #59
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Ok guys.....I just finished my swan song run before my torn meniscus surgery on Monday. The knee felt good so I was able to hit my target goal of 10 miles . I was able to average a 9 minute pace in doing so. All of you die hard runners log a few miles for ya boy and stay true to the run. Catch up with you on the turn in a few months.................Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #60
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok guys.....I just finished my swan song run before my torn meniscus surgery on Monday. The knee felt good so I was able to hit my target goal of 10 miles . I was able to average a 9 minute pace in doing so. All of you die hard runners log a few miles for ya boy and stay true to the run. Catch up with you on the turn in a few months.................Phil
Hi Phil! Good to hear from you! Good luck on Monday with your surgery!

I still cannot run... It's frustrating to find out that things are not healing as they used to.

But, I'm getting more into biking instead. That probably does not help my knee, but I just cant seat around doing nothing. Picking my new bike tomorrow or on Saturday.

So, I'll log few miles for you, but I'll just do it on a bike.

Let me know how your surgery goes.

Happy Holidays!

Vlad
      12-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #61
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Phil! Good to hear from you! Good luck on Monday with your surgery!

I still cannot run... It's frustrating to find out that things are not healing as they used to.

But, I'm getting more into biking instead. That probably does not help my knee, but I just cant seat around doing nothing. Picking my new bike tomorrow or on Saturday.

So, I'll log few miles for you, but I'll just do it on a bike.

Let me know how your surgery goes.

Happy Holidays!

Vlad
Vlad, surgery went well......I'm already walking around and working on strengthening the muscles again. Doctor told me to take it easy for a couple of months. So you and the others will have to log a few miles for me. I'll try to get on the bike next week but I'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted

Happy Holidays to you as well..................Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #62
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Vlad, surgery went well......I'm already walking around and working on strengthening the muscles again. Doctor told me to take it easy for a couple of months. So you and the others will have to log a few miles for me. I'll try to get on the bike next week but I'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted

Happy Holidays to you as well..................Phil
Oops, I misread and thought that your surgery is next Monday. I'm glad surgery went well.

Thank you for the wishes!
Merry Christmas and happy New Year!