F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Anyone here suffering from Over Training?
Studio RSR

06-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Anyone here suffering from Over Training?

Hey guys,

Tuesday I woke up and I think my body is telling me to rest and reduce the amount of gym time/tennis/martial arts. My whole body just ached and felt stiff. My old right thumb sprain feels like it's back and even my left thumb is feeling some effects of a sprain.

Hit the sauna last night for around 1hr 30min after work and my upper body feels a whole lot better this morning. Legs still sore but that's due to the workout on Monday. Thumbs still feel like shit tho.

Have any of you guys over trained and felt as tho ur body just gave out on you?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Suffering this at the moment too. not nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Been there many times. Only cure is rest and take a gym break. As for the thumb, I have that too and have had it for about 10 years now. The cause is tendons that were torn and never delt with properly therefore it never healed right and tends to remind me of that every once and awhile. As tuff as it is to take that break, you have to realize that once you enter the over trained zone you're doing abosolutley nothing in the way of building muscle or for that matter any gains in any area at all. Your body will just keep feeding off itself and eventually break down.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

I used to work out like 6 times a week but i've cut back to 3x's a week and have actually put on more muscle and leaned down with the change and less training. I think a lot of people over train constantly.

Muscle is built resting - not working. Again, only my thoughts and experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
for me - it's usually under eating or not enough sleep for the effort in the exercise routine that I am doing.

I have over trained before - but it's been a while since I have been there.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
335iRobot
Pshhhhhh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cpe

When I was training for a certain military program, I was working out 6 days a week doing insane amounts of everything.. but the thing to keep in mind was, it was a 12 week program and you are supposed to have a week or two of inactivity after it and a week during the early part of it so that your body can have healing time.

If you are working out 4-5+ days a week, I would recommend taking a week or two off and giving yourself time to heal. Come back after that time, hit it again, and you'll be shocked at how much stronger you feel.

If you feel lazy during this time period, you can still do some minor workouts. But take care of your body, ice what you need too, use a foam roller on your muscles to help them heal, stretch, hydrate.. just take care of yourself and give your body some time to heal up stronger.
      06-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Thanks for the reply guys. My feeling a whole lot better now. Just my hamstrings and thumbs that are shot. Everything else is A-OK.

I read up on overreaching and overtraining and everything you guys said are right on the money. I'm gonna take a bit of a break and come back into the workouts slowly. Still gonna eat healthy.

I bought a foam roller a few months back. That thing is awesome. Still can never replace a full therapeutic deep tissue message tho :P

Definitely a lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i've had days where i wake up and i sleep an extra hour or two and skip workouts because my body just feels ridiculously fatigued. but recovery for me never takes more than 2 days unless it was an epic workout.. which rarely happens

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I did the stronggains 5x5 and did 45 min cardio after (as suggested in their site) a few years ago. I didn't get any stronger and I felt more and more sluggish every time I went to the gym. Fortunately, or unfortunately, at that time, MW2 came out and I became a pro at that.

Now it's the leangains diet + 3x lifting a week. Never felt better in my life.
Appreciate 0